25% tax in Brazilian waters?

smilin jack

If you sail from any EU port and don't call at a non - EU port you will pay VAT on all purchases.

The Spanish tax is paid only when you are in Spanish waters.

I believe that you're wrong about that, Hattie.

Or, maybe it only applies to EU residents.

At any rate, I've never been asked to pay EU VAT on the ship, over the course of 15 cruises from their ports......some of them Spanish, before all of this began to be an issue.

I am from the EU . Spain is not making a money grab. By EU law all countries must charge VAT, this is enforced. No matter what port you board from in the EU you are going to be charged VAT. It is only exempt if the ships stops at a non EU country like Turkey or Morocco. As I said NON-EU passengers can claim this tax back on exit from the EU if you keep your receipts. This is the same tax you pay on land when in the EU. Again this tax and rule has been in existence for many years and is not the same as Brazil. If you feel so strongly about paying a lawful tax you have the option of vacationing in your home country.

We have sailed from Dover, Amsterdam & Copenhagen there were no added to taxes to purchases onboard other than the 18% that is normally charged on drinks etc..

What are the EU Countries that charge the VAT on the ships??

If a cruise calls at a non-EU port such as Guernsey, Kotor or Istanbul there will be no VAT charged, otherwise there will be VAT on shop purchases and the duty free shops will be closed.

If your cruises from Amsterdam were to Norway or the Baltic they were not completely within the EU.

Edited by Host Hattie

If a cruise calls at a non-EU port such as Guernsey, Kotor or Istanbul there will be no VAT charged, otherwise there will be VAT on shop purchases and the duty free shops will be closed.

If your cruises from Amsterdam were to Norway or the Baltic they were not completely within the EU.

I believe that the issue spoken about here, is that Spain, specifically, had begun collecting the VAT on that portion of the cruise which occurred between embarkation and arrival at the first non-EU port, rather than waiving the VAT on the entire voyage.

I believe that the issue spoken about here, is that Spain, specifically, had begun collecting the VAT on that portion of the cruise which occurred between embarkation and arrival at the first non-EU port, rather than waiving the VAT on the entire voyage.

I have never seen EU VAT broken out on any end of cruise statement even though we were in Spanish ports or began or ended in Barcelona. I think the whole thing is above my pay grade. Guess we will see in July. Still I think someone should organize a BOYCOTT of BRAZIL. 25% tax is more than anyone should have to pay.

I have never seen EU VAT broken out on any end of cruise statement even though we were in Spanish ports or began or ended in Barcelona. I think the whole thing is above my pay grade. Guess we will see in July. Still I think someone should organize a BOYCOTT of BRAZIL. 25% tax is more than anyone should have to pay.

If you had bought anything whilst you were in Spanish waters it should have been itemised on the receipt.

If you had bought anything whilst you were in Spanish waters it should have been itemised on the receipt.

Good question. I really do not know when I bought various things. A bottle of wine at dinner? Don't know. Every two or three days we would buy a bottle of wine but can't remember where we were. Will try to remember next time.

Which of my posts made you think I don't know something ?

I have explained several times what the different taxes are but obviously I haven't made it very clear so I will try again.

IVA (VAT) is European tax legislation applicable when travelling within the EU. If your cruise calls at a non-EU port VAT will not be charged.

Spanish 10% IVA tax is applicable to all bar purchases, select dining cover charges and room service charges when in Spanish waters only.

Spanish 21% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from a Spanish port.

An Italian 22% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from an Italian port.

A UK 20% VAT tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from a UK port.

Etc, etc if your cruise is wholly within the EU there will be VAT/IVA to pay at the rate charged in the departure country. However, many cruises will include a stop at a non-EU port so it is quite usual to be able to do a cruise from an EU port and not pay the 20/21/22% VAT. You will have to pay the 10% if you buy anything whilst you are in Spanish waters even if your cruise stops at a non-EU port.

I hope that helps, obviously I have no idea what happens in Brazil !

Edited by Host Hattie

I live in Miami and the only additional tax beside the norm, is a resort tax at the hotels. Never heard or not seen a 25% tax on purchases.

When in Brazil last year, 8 Brazilian (accountants ?)came out by boat and boarded our ship . They stayed onboard during our trip down the Amazon., and back to our last port in Brazil. They wanted to make sure they received their tax money. It was ridiculous . We were advised beforehand they were coming and to make our purchases before hitting Brazilian waters. When they finally left the passengers on the Regatta gave a big round of applause to see them go. [emoji4]

I can vouch for that (we were on the same cruise) those Brazilians really enjoyed extended lunches too. I guess there weren't many purchases for them to audit.

I love cruise critic ☺ only here would you see a spirited debate about international tax rates ☺

We seem to have spirited debates about a lot of subjects, mostly with good intentions. A bunch of good information comes thru these boards. Lets keep it up

I love cruise critic ☺ only here would you see a spirited debate about international tax rates ☺

I certainly didn't mean to get involved in a debate, I was just trying to explain what actually happens in the EU and why.

I think I will stick to my own board in future :rolleyes:

I certainly didn't mean to get involved in a debate, I was just trying to explain what actually happens in the EU and why.

I think I will stick to my own board in future :rolleyes:

I for one like all the good advise and info. that people post. It can come in handy. When you have things for us please come back and post for us. Thank you for doing this. RJB

Thank you, I don't usually post on other boards but when a bit of misinformation caught my eye I thought I should offer some help.

Of course being told I'm wrong is always a good way to get me to carry on posting !

Bye for now ...

Thank you, I don't usually post on other boards but when a bit of misinformation caught my eye I thought I should offer some help.

Of course being told I'm wrong is always a good way to get me to carry on posting !

Bye for now ...

Just curios, where is Vale of Glamorgan? Always interested in new places

Is this new when sailing from a UK Port ??

I do not recall being charged an extra tax sailing from Dover but it has been a couple of years since we were there

What were your ports of call ? I have sailed from Dover twice, once to Norway and once to the Baltic - as both those stopped at non-EU ports there was no VAT payable.

On the other hand we are sailing from Southampton for New Year and our only stops are in Amsterdam and Zeebrugge, as these are both in the EU we will have to pay VAT if we buy anything in the shops (we will try and avoid it).

What were your ports of call ? I have sailed from Dover twice, once to Norway and once to the Baltic - as both those stopped at non-EU ports there was no VAT payable.

On the other hand we are sailing from Southampton for New Year and our only stops are in Amsterdam and Zeebrugge, as these are both in the EU we will have to pay VAT if we buy anything in the shops (we will try and avoid it).

We have sailed R/T Dover around the British Isles back in 2004

Other cruise was Dover stops in Norway, Amsterdam, Bruges, France, Denmark

Round Britain cruises usually try and stop at one of the Channel Islands as their non-EU port (we went to Guernsey in May) on one cruise and Norway isn't in the EU.

I'm not sure when the rules were introduced, I've only been cruising since 2008.

Round Britain cruises usually try and stop at one of the Channel Islands as their non-EU port (we went to Guernsey in May) on one cruise and Norway isn't in the EU.

I'm not sure when the rules were introduced, I've only been cruising since 2008.

Maybe a new thing then

We did Ireland & the Shetlands, Orkneys all the rest were in the UK mainland

Thanks

I may be wrong, but when I lived in the UK, way back in the dark ages in the '70's, VAT was never broken out as a separate line item. Prices always said "VAT included". I think that is the practice in all EU countries, unless they charge an additional VAT rate, and it became the responsibility of the purchaser to determine the amount of the VAT based on the rate for the country where the item was purchased.

I can vouch for that (we were on the same cruise) those Brazilians really enjoyed extended lunches too. I guess there weren't many purchases for them to audit.

If services, such as spa services, are prepaid (if possible) before sailing into Brazilian waters, are the services free of the tax? Will the tax be added at the time the services are performed because the time of service determines whether or not the tax applies?

Has anyone tried the prepayment approach?

Thanks.

If services, such as spa services, are prepaid (if possible) before sailing into Brazilian waters, are the services free of the tax? Will the tax be added at the time the services are performed because the time of service determines whether or not the tax applies?

Has anyone tried the prepayment approach?

Thanks.

Why would anyone want to go to Brazil anyway? From what I hear it is one of the worst trips Oceania does. With a 25% tax it just makes it worse. Time to Boycott Brazil.

Why would anyone want to go to Brazil anyway? From what I hear it is one of the worst trips Oceania does. With a 25% tax it just makes it worse. Time to Boycott Brazil.

That's a little over the top, isn't? We've been to Salvador, Recife, Santarem, Boca de Valeria, Manaus, Parintim and Rio, and will be visiting Fortaleza, Natal, Belem and Recife again on the World Cruise. All worth the visit, especially Salvador.

Our simple answer to the tax is to not buy anything that will be taxed. That's our boycott; we save as much as we would by not going there yet get to see it. Seems like a win-win to me.