25% tax in Brazilian waters?

smilin jack

That's a little over the top, isn't? We've been to Salvador, Recife, Santarem, Boca de Valeria, Manaus, Parintim and Rio, and will be visiting Fortaleza, Natal, Belem and Recife again on the World Cruise. All worth the visit, especially Salvador.

Our simple answer to the tax is to not buy anything that will be taxed. That's our boycott; we save as much as we would by not going there yet get to see it. Seems like a win-win to me.

Just saying that from what I hear (have not been there) Oceania goes to much better places than Brazil. Maybe if that happens for a few years than Brazil would get the idea that they should not rip us off. Choose for yourself.

Just saying that from what I hear (have not been there) Oceania goes to much better places than Brazil. Maybe if that happens for a few years than Brazil would get the idea that they should not rip us off. Choose for yourself.

While I fully agree with the principle of voting with your wallet, the cruise industry is such an infinitesimal part of the Brazilian economy, that they wouldn't even notice if Oceania stopped going there.

While I fully agree with the principle of voting with your wallet, the cruise industry is such an infinitesimal part of the Brazilian economy, that they wouldn't even notice if Oceania stopped going there.

This could be a lot bigger than just Oceania. Many other cruise ships go there and that could have an impact. Also the Olympics are there. Just something to think about. Again everyone has to choose for themselves.

Our very first Oceania cruise was their Rio to Valparaiso cruise on Marina over Christmas in 2012 and seeing Rio was a very worthwhile experience. We were a bit shocked at the cost of a Brazilian Visa but were able to use it again for the Amazon cruise on Regatta in 2014 and found sailing on the Amazon to be an interesting experience too. There wasn't much purchasing going on while we were in Brazilian waters and as was previously mentioned there was a universal cheer from the passengers when the Brazilian revenue inspectors left the ship so I think that Brazil is getting the idea.

For many years, Oceania's repositioning cruise was from Europe to Rio. It always made at least 2 other stops in Brazil. This years cruise only stopped in Rio. I call that fighting back against the VAT.

In Bahamas last week the VAT, was added to the register total, making it more of a sales tax.

In Bahamas last week the VAT, was added to the register total, making it more of a sales tax.

How long did they add the Tax for after you left Bahamas??

at this rate I will not be drinking or shopping on the ship ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

How long did they add the Tax for after you left Bahamas??

at this rate I will not be drinking or shopping on the ship ;)

Lyn

I'm not sure this was done on the ship, but purchases we made on shore had it added this way. I don't remember spending any money on the ship those days.

Maybe Marsha can clarify.

For many years, Oceania's repositioning cruise was from Europe to Rio. It always made at least 2 other stops in Brazil. This years cruise only stopped in Rio. I call that fighting back against the VAT.

I also noticed that this year Marina will be starting her holiday cruise to Valparaiso in Buenos Aires instead of Rio. Is that another message to Brazil?

Wow - you could not be more right on!!!!!! We just dealt with VAT after being in Cape Town, South Africa but it would be hard to top the rip-off in Brazil. First is their outrageous visa fee (getting back at the U.S. for theirs). Thankfully, my DH is a dual citizen and can use his U.K. passport to avoid the visa fee. Then there is the 25% tax. We are on the Regent Mariner that will be headed to Rio in a couple of days. You better believe that we will use our on board credits before sailing into the water of Brazil.

Another issue in Brazil is the food......... there are many items that cannot be obtained in Brazil (as per the Executive Chef on Regent). Then, the entertainment must have a special visa in order to perform. IMO, jumping through hoops to see one of the most crime-ridden cities in the world is not worth it (granted, there are amazing sites in Rio -- if only the residents appreciated it).

Just my humble opinion.

I'm not sure this was done on the ship, but purchases we made on shore had it added this way. I don't remember spending any money on the ship those days.

Maybe Marsha can clarify.

Thanks ORV

On shore you expect the local tax but not on the ship

Will make note on future cruise where extra tax is added on the ship

• 10 months later...
A passenger off the Regatta Amazon cruise said their was a 25% tax on anything purchased on board when they were in Brazilian waters.

Can anyone enlighten me about this.....I couldn't find anything about it.

Quote below:

Now that I am thinking of it there was one surprise that we encountered that you should all be aware of and that has to do with a TAX that Brazil imposed on all purchases on board the ship while we were in Brazilian waters. It apparently is very new and it is a doozy...25% so you should all plan to make on board purchases before arriving in Brazilian waters! Some of our wine drinkers bought several bottles before we were subject to the tax and I can tell you that the on board shops were deserted while we were in Brazilian waters.

Can anyone update this post that a 25% tax still applies on goods and services while in Brazilian waters? thanks

I agree that this 25% irrecoverable tax for cruise passengers is extortion, as some have said.

Wasn't the Olympics construction well over budget and sparsely attended?

Why not squeeze us cruise passengers for some extra money to pay for the thing? We do pay PORT taxes, don't we?

Interestingly, I did notice in my latest Oceania Brochure a super discounted Brazilian Cruise with O-Ultimate (all 3 perks thrown in). Nowhere in the brochure did it mention this 25% tax, which apparently is real. :eek:

I agree that this 25% irrecoverable tax for cruise passengers is extortion, as some have said.

Wasn't the Olympics construction well over budget and sparsely attended?

Why not squeeze us cruise passengers for some extra money to pay for the thing? We do pay PORT taxes, don't we?

Interestingly, I did notice in my latest Oceania Brochure a super discounted Brazilian Cruise with O-Ultimate (all 3 perks thrown in). Nowhere in the brochure did it mention this 25% tax, which apparently is real. :eek:

For our part they can keep Brazil and all that goes with it.. The Zika, the major crime, filth in the streets and the 25% tax. Much better places to travel. :):):)

The VAT charge has been going on for years

I think that is where Spain got the idea from ;)

Maybe it is time to avoid those countries that rip us off. Plenty of other nice places to go. :mad:

Can anyone update this post that a 25% tax still applies on goods and services while in Brazilian waters? thanks

Sorry guys, having read the thread, was it confirmed that there was this 25% tax on purchases whilst in Brazilian Waters? Also would this apply to beverage/bar purchases?

Thank you for flagging!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We start our Amazon cruise in Rio and end in Miami. I will buy our drinks package before the cruise and not wait until after boarding, for sure. Since we will fly in a day early, I suppose they will get whatever blood they can out of me on that extra day.

Never been to Rio. Things there I want to see. For the price of a little food and a couple tours, the tax doesn't dissuade me from going to see the sights. In the end, I would doubt that it exceeds $50-$100. I'll drink the beer, in lieu of wine, to keep down the cost of the taxes while ashore!;)

Our first visit to Rio was in 1974 for a week. We loved the city, even while acknowledging the extreme poverty in the favelas. The people were wonderful, and once when we were on a public bus looking for the appropriate stop for a restaurant that NONE of them could have afforded (back then for US it was incredibly cheap, like $5pp for a steak dinner with wine, but this was a more expensive restaurant -- maybe $20pp.) Anyway, they were all so helpful (as long as my husband, the non-linguist voiced the request).

We returned in the autumn of 2013 on a TA from Barcelona and found the city just as entrancing. We did book private tours at that time.

It's a great city to visit, despite all the problems with taxes and crime and you name it. Will I go back in the near future?" Probably not! But that's more because we aren't looking for those itineraries than because we're afraid of the crime, etc.

One day isn't enough to see its attractions ... but if that's all you have, that's all you have!

In that case, I recommend doing Corcovado. A guide helps you jump the line, which can be extremely long.

• 2 weeks later...

We had several days in Brazilian waters. The ship made several announcements and reminders about the VAT before we entered their waters. My wife and I drink wine with dinner every night but we buy it by the bottle. I worked with the Executive Cellar Master on board and selected our wines in advance. It is just a matter of doing a little planning.

A passenger off the Regatta Amazon cruise said their was a 25% tax on anything purchased on board when they were in Brazilian waters.

Can anyone enlighten me about this.....I couldn't find anything about it.

Quote below:

Now that I am thinking of it there was one surprise that we encountered that you should all be aware of and that has to do with a TAX that Brazil imposed on all purchases on board the ship while we were in Brazilian waters. It apparently is very new and it is a doozy...25% so you should all plan to make on board purchases before arriving in Brazilian waters! Some of our wine drinkers bought several bottles before we were subject to the tax and I can tell you that the on board shops were deserted while we were in Brazilian waters.

Had very little interest in going to Brazil before and now NONE.