25% tax in Brazilian waters?

smilin jack

• 1 year later...

We are booked on a HAL Rio-Amazon cruise in Feb/16 and just heard about this tax. Someone on an Oceania cruise told us about it. I asked my TA and she called HAL and they know nothing about this tax. I am wondering why all comments on this thread stop in December, 2014.

Since we get on our cruise in Brazil, it looks like there is not way to get out of paying this tax for about 18 days when we are in the Caribbean.

While we were in Brazilian territorial waters the gift shops were required to collect a Brazil tax. Not sure if it was a misunderstanding by the Oceania staff but that is what happened. The work around was if you needed an incidental item you bought and paid the tax. Stuff like jewelry and clothing that was pricy, the staff held the item with our name on it and then when we left Brazilian waters, we could pick up and finalize our purchases. Maybe it was like a Brazilian VAT. We were on the Rio to Miami April 2014, 21 day Amazon cruise with 14 of the days spent in Brazilian waters. I had not heard anything about the tax since our experience with it. Good luck all.

While we were in Brazilian territorial waters the gift shops were required to collect a Brazil tax. Not sure if it was a misunderstanding by the Oceania staff but that is what happened. The work around was if you needed an incidental item you bought and paid the tax. Stuff like jewelry and clothing that was pricy, the staff held the item with our name on it and then when we left Brazilian waters, we could pick up and finalize our purchases. Maybe it was like a Brazilian VAT. We were on the Rio to Miami April 2014, 21 day Amazon cruise with 14 of the days spent in Brazilian waters. I had not heard anything about the tax since our experience with it. Good luck all.

All cruise ships should stop going to Brazil until this tax is lifted. About time we stopped getting ripped off. No tourists at all, including olympics. Let them chew on that.

The thread is a year old because the OP's Insignia cruise was cancelled. Just off the Regatta, and the tax was in effect. Passengers were made aware of this prior to entering Brazilian waters. Many passengers pre-bought wine to avoid the tax. We did not purchase any drinks/wine during the Brazil stop.

I'm surprised no one complains about the additional tax in Miami -- our ship sailed late, we were in Miami waters throughout our dinner.

The thread is a year old because the OP's Insignia cruise was cancelled. Just off the Regatta, and the tax was in effect. Passengers were made aware of this prior to entering Brazilian waters. Many passengers pre-bought wine to avoid the tax. We did not purchase any drinks/wine during the Brazil stop.

I'm surprised no one complains about the additional tax in Miami -- our ship sailed late, we were in Miami waters throughout our dinner.

What additional tax in Miami?

Eu tax has been around for ever. It is exempt if the cruise ship visit any port outside the EU. That is why med cruises often include a stop in Turkey. But if the cruise is entirely within the EU than the tax applies. This tax have been in force for many many years. The very same as miami tax is applied to purchases before leaving miami ☺

Eu tax has been around for ever. It is exempt if the cruise ship visit any port outside the EU. That is why med cruises often include a stop in Turkey. But if the cruise is entirely within the EU than the tax applies. This tax have been in force for many many years. The very same as miami tax is applied to purchases before leaving miami ☺

Somehow I don't think the tax in Miami is 25%. The Brazil tax just seems to be a rip off for cruise ships. I am sure the Miami tax is just their normal sales tax. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I live in Miami and the only additional tax beside the norm, is a resort tax at the hotels. Never heard or not seen a 25% tax on purchases.

When in Brazil last year, 8 Brazilian (accountants ?)came out by boat and boarded our ship . They stayed onboard during our trip down the Amazon., and back to our last port in Brazil. They wanted to make sure they received their tax money. It was ridiculous . We were advised beforehand they were coming and to make our purchases before hitting Brazilian waters. When they finally left the passengers on the Regatta gave a big round of applause to see them go. [emoji4]

Edited by Missymo

I presume the same tax applies on land, it seems like a huge cash grab prior to the Olympics.

I would hate to pay this on top of the high prices in Rio.

There will be a backlash, the media is already discussing the polluted waters our athletes will be forced to compete in.

Politically Brazil is another world altogether but we loved our visit to Rio and our Amazon cruise.

It is what ever the tax rate is on land. Tax in the EU is very high compared to US. This VAT is added to all purchases with a very few exceptions and all EU citizens pay this tax it is not a tax that is only applied to tourist. In fact many tourists are able to claim back a portion of this tax if you keep your sales receipt. Brazil has nothing to do with the EU and should be considered a separate issue.

Brazil has nothing to do with the EU and should be considered a separate issue.

I agree in principle, but if we are talking about places to avoid on a Cruise because of excessive taxation, then Brazil and EU cruises which originate in Spain would fall into the same bundle.

I was under the impression that items purchased on the ship were tax-free - isn't that how they try to get you to buy your items on the ship?

We board the ship for our cruise from Rio, so there is no way to avoid paying this tax, as we have no previous ports to purchase items at.

As I stated previously, my TA contacted HAL and they claim to know nothing about it.

I guess we will just consider it the cost of travelling the world. People who come to our countries may think some of the things we do outrageous as well.

I was under the impression that items purchased on the ship were tax-free -

They are DUTY free to the shop ;)

You will have to pay tax on the items when you return home if you go over your personal exemption limit

The Brazil & Spanish money grab is for any purchases on the ship

you expect to pay VAT on purchases on shore but not on the ship where goods were not purchased in those Countries anyway

Edited by LHT28

you expect to pay VAT on purchases on shore but not on the ship where goods were not purchased in those Countries anyway

As I understand it, in order to ease the flow of commerce, International Maritime Law presumes that a ship is fully provisioned in the port where its' voyage has commenced. Hence the taxation issues.

By the way, I'm not sure about Brazil, but the Spanish EU tax effects both goods and services.

I am from the EU . Spain is not making a money grab. By EU law all countries must charge VAT, this is enforced. No matter what port you board from in the EU you are going to be charged VAT. It is only exempt if the ships stops at a non EU country like Turkey or Morocco. As I said NON-EU passengers can claim this tax back on exit from the EU if you keep your receipts. This is the same tax you pay on land when in the EU. Again this tax and rule has been in existence for many years and is not the same as Brazil. If you feel so strongly about paying a lawful tax you have the option of vacationing in your home country.