Passport Expiration time limit!

FTPCruiser

This is our first cruise and it is for 10 days from San Francisco to Mexico. Cruise lines indicates at their website that a passenger's passport to be valid at least for 6 months after the cruise ending date.

My wife's passport expires 4,5 months after the date our cruise ends.

Our cruise end date Feb 7th.. Her passport expires in May 20th.

Is this a deal breaker or just a recommendation by the cruise lines?

We are not even planning leaving the ship while at Mexico for any shore excursions...

Plus it is a "Close-loop--cruise" which begins and ends in San Francisco and since we live in the area, no International flights are involved.

Most US Residents say they don't even take their passports during these cruises and instead they use their drivers licenses+birth certificates as an ID for boarding...

Any ideas?

This is our first cruise and it is for 10 days from San Francisco to Mexico. Cruise lines indicates at their website that a passenger's passport to be valid at least for 6 months after the cruise ending date.

We are not even planning leaving the ship while at Mexico for any shore excursions...

Plus it is a "Close-loop--cruise" which begins and ends in San Francisco and since we live in the area, no International flights are involved.

Most US Residents say they don't even take their passports during these cruises and instead they use their drivers licenses+birth certificates as an ID for boarding...

Any ideas?

The six month limit is imposed by the country being visited in some instances and even if it is imposed for general visitors there are exceptions made for those visiting on a cruise ship. US citizens on a closed loop cruise of course may use a government issued birth certificate and government issued ID (unless you happen to be sailing on a cruise line that imposes a stricter requirement, which are normally the more upscale lines).

I normally use a passport when I cruise but I inadvertently let my passport expire for our cruise last week. I had no problem using my drivers license and birth certificate with a raised seal. NCL did make me sign a statement acknowledging that, without a passport, I would not be allowed to fly back to the US in case of an emergency. Other than that, no problem.

The six month limit is imposed by the country being visited in some instances and even if it is imposed for general visitors there are exceptions made for those visiting on a cruise ship. US citizens on a closed loop cruise of course may use a government issued birth certificate and government issued ID (unless you happen to be sailing on a cruise line that imposes a stricter requirement, which are normally the more upscale lines).

This part is important.

There are cruiselines that have stricter requirements regarding passports than the law.

Edited by Shmoo here

Any ideas?

Your passport is fine for this cruise. Mexico does not even require you to have a passport and your passport is good until expired to get back into the USA.

Any ideas?

Which cruise line are you sailing on? If you will be on a line that accepts birth certificate and photo ID, then the 4.5 month vs 6 month isn't an issue.

..Most US Residents say they don't even take their passports during these cruises and instead they use their drivers licenses+birth certificates as an ID for boarding...

I can't imagine why anybody who has a US passport would not take it. Why carry a packet of documents when a little passbook will do? If one had to fly to the next port due to cancelled flight a BC won't cut it for international air travel.

If your cruise is in February you have plenty of time to renew it by mail. It's typically taking 2-3 weeks.

Just out of interest, exactly which countries accept US visitors without a passport? I know a "closed loop" transatlantic, for example, wouldn't apply.

I have never heard of a closed loop transatlantic. US citizens may sail on closed loop cruises to countries covered by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which are Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and specified islands in the Caribbean. The cruise must depart from and return to the same US port.

She had a complicated "name change" issue which requires few other documents to be obtained before a new passport could be issued.

That was going to cause some delay. That was our worry!

Her SS Certificate and DL was already changed but the current passport had the old name.

We will be on Princess from San Francisco.

I can't imagine why anybody who has a US passport would not take it. Why carry a packet of documents when a little passbook will do? If one had to fly to the next port due to cancelled flight a BC won't cut it for international air travel.

If your cruise is in February you have plenty of time to renew it by mail. It's typically taking 2-3 weeks.

It's a matter of mindset, I guess. Many passport holders leave their passport in the safe on the ship when they go ashore unless they are required to carry it with them by local authority because it's safer there then in their possession. I could see someone using the same logic in deciding to bring their passport with them on a cruise that didn't require it- it is safer at home. Most people carry some form of photo ID with them all of the time, so bringing a birth certificate or a passport is bringing one extra document (and some travelers have a copy of their birth certificate as a back up I would imagine).

In the event the passport were needed for international air (a low risk for most) then it could be overnighted. Missing the ship at embarkation is a risk if one is flying to the port but from what I've read lately cruise lines won't always let you board at the next foreign port. DW and I will be getting our first passports next year and while it is doubtful that we would leave them at home once we have them we have certainly discussed it. In any event I can certainly understand someone doing this if that is what they choose to do.

It's a matter of mindset, I guess. Many passport holders leave their passport in the safe on the ship when they go ashore unless they are required to carry it with them by local authority because it's safer there then in their possession. I could see someone using the same logic in deciding to bring their passport with them on a cruise that didn't require it- it is safer at home. Most people carry some form of photo ID with them all of the time, so bringing a birth certificate or a passport is bringing one extra document (and some travelers have a copy of their birth certificate as a back up I would imagine).

In the event the passport were needed for international air (a low risk for most) then it could be overnighted. Missing the ship at embarkation is a risk if one is flying to the port but from what I've read lately cruise lines won't always let you board at the next foreign port. DW and I will be getting our first passports next year and while it is doubtful that we would leave them at home once we have them we have certainly discussed it. In any event I can certainly understand someone doing this if that is what they choose to do.

In that case why bother getting a passport in the first place.

I got a passport 1) to avoid carrying all that documentation and 2) being able to travel by air if necessary. A lot of help "overnighting" a passport would be if I missed several flights while waiting for it to arrive. But that's just me.

I got a passport 1) to avoid carrying all that documentation and 2) being able to travel by air if necessary. A lot of help "overnighting" a passport would be if I missed several flights while waiting for it to arrive. But that's just me.

That's one of the reasons that I haven't bothered with a passport yet;). It's not just you, and I don't recall seeing anyone that has said that they have a passport but don't take it with them on closed loop cruises, but I could see why someone might make that decision (but then I've traveled without a passport so to me it wouldn't be that big of a deal to leave it behind since it's no different than what we've done). This isn't a position that I am advocating, I am only pointing out how someone could come to that decision.

My passport expires a month after my cruise ends. I contacted RCL, they advised that as long as the passport doesn't expire during the cruise, it would not be a issue.

No need to comment on my procrastination, I have a wife for that.

US citizens may sail on closed loop cruises to countries covered by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which are Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and specified islands in the Caribbean. The cruise must depart from and return to the same US port.
Well, technically those are the Contiguous Countries and Adjacent Islands list...which ARE part of the WHTI and ARE where most cruises go. But the WHTI applies to the entire Western Hemisphere, which is a bigger list and includes the cruise stops of Belize and Roatan. The CCAI list used to be the places folks could go with just a BC and ID, way back before 2001. They are now the land and sea limit of the Passport Card. (Unless using the card for the WHTI exemption on a cruise.)

When I booked my last cruise with Princess, they had me sign a waiver saying that I understand the risk that that I maybe denied boarding if my passport did not comply with their policies. My passport at the time would expire about 2 months after I returned from my cruise. Fortunately I was able to renew pretty quickly and cruised with a brand new passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Mexico most certainly does require a passport or WHT-travel document to enter. They may not always ask, especially cruise passengers, but they require US and Canada residents to have a six-month valid passport.

I had my TA check, and Mexico does not require a six month valid passport for US citizens entering the country from a cruise ship. Nor does Mexico require US citizens to have a passport to enter the country from a cruise ship. An original birth certificate and valid government issued ID are all that is needed.

I had my TA check, and Mexico does not require a six month valid passport for US citizens entering the country from a cruise ship. Nor does Mexico require US citizens to have a passport to enter the country from a cruise ship. An original birth certificate and valid government issued ID are all that is needed.

This.

Just out of interest, exactly which countries accept US visitors without a passport? I know a "closed loop" transatlantic, for example, wouldn't apply.

As a general rule, unless you are on a closed-loop cruise, every country requires a Passport (there might be an exception in the Caribbean). These days you cannot even go to Mexico or Canada without a Passport.

Hank

I will answer in terms of a very frequent International Travelers (out of the country more then 6 months this current year). This is not a specific answer for cruisers but simply for international travel. Passports are the most valuable document you have...when outside the country. Passports (particularly US and Canadian) are quite valuable on the international black markets....some fetching as much as $10,000. Hence, many of us who do a lot of travel prefer to keep our Passports securely locked in a hotel (or cruise ship) safe. There are certain times that I do carry my passport...such as when renting a car (some European rental car agencies like to see a Passport or if we are going a long distance from the port (primarily in Europe or Asia) and think it is reasonably possible that we will miss the ship (not always a major problem since we can catch-up at the next port).

Hank

As a general rule, unless you are on a closed-loop cruise, every country requires a Passport (there might be an exception in the Caribbean). These days you cannot even go to Mexico or Canada without a Passport.

Hank

To add to the comment, residents of some states, like Washington State, have the option to provide additional docs (and picture) to the DMV, plus additional payment, to get a replacement driver's license with RFID and citizenship data on it.

http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php

The Enhanced Driver License (EDL) is another option for land or sea between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean. ...

Currently, only Washington State, Vermont, New York, and Michigan are fully up and running with EDLs. However, Arizona, Texas, and California are making progress with their programs, too.

That is incorrect, there is no exception for cruises. However, Mexican authorities will not ask to see your passport when you get off a cruise ship. But, the requirement does exist by Mexican law.