buffet manners

beentothere

nice list of the 10 commandments for good behavior.

but do not forget commandment 0: cruise lines will design an efficient

buffet presentation to eliminate excessive lines as well as change utensils

frequently.

Never seen any changing of utensils and most buffet lines are lines and that's

where the problem begins

That means the 10 commandments are biased against passengers

over all the hills

I have that it's always bad the first couple of days or until the passengers figure out that there will be enough food so nobody will go hungry by the next 6 meals in the same day...lol

We tend to go a little later for lunch to avoid the stampedes

Some many places and times to eat...

Goodness!! I've never had a problem in the buffet - ever. People queue certainly, but I've never, ever had a problem that has made me think - I'll go at a different time. Maybe we Brits are more used to queueing?

Have to agree, never seen a problem, occasionally someone wants to jump the line, but usually only to grab one thing, can't recall seeing anyone grabbing food with their fingers or licking the serving spoon or the other issues reported by some.

And I'm an Aussie and everyone knows Aussies are an uncouth bunch.

Canadian here.

We are familiar with Buffets in Canada, but they really are few and far between (always have been told it was because here where things are more expensive, and population less dense that in actuality a Buffet is a far more costly way of doing things. Buffets here tend to run $ 19.95 and up... The best ones are usually $ 25+ per person. High end Hotels & Resorts can be closer to $50. And all of these are before tax & tip at about 30% or more)

In the USA, Buffets are common place. Have ate at many over my lifetime. The great majority are ok to good, a few have been excellent, and some not so great (in our experience... you get what you pay for a Buffet under $ 10 US per person is not going to be very good)

A lot of the US land based Buffets may have a "Special Advertised Item" (ie Crab Legs) and when they are gone... They are gone. Hence WHY people seem to be so eager to get there early... I think this applies to the ship. Some Cruisers feel that the ship is going to run out of a particular item at the Buffet. Ship Buffets are to me more like the Higherend places ashore where it is the clock that sets when the selection ends.

Mr Sloop & I do the Buffet mostly for Breakfast, and the occasional Lunch. Rarely have we not got what we wanted... And that was cause we came to Breafast too late (slept in on a Sea Day)... And the Crew had / were Closing a Station. Even then I've seen Crew say they could get something for us if we'd be willing to wait a few extra minutes. We tell them it is ok, no worries we can just choose something else. Afterall, it was our own dang fault for not watching the clock... Still tho they have come thru for us on occasion.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB
Edit to add - Costing examples

Canadian here.

We are familiar with Buffets in Canada, but they really are few and far between (always have been told it was because here where things are more expensive, and population less dense that in actuality a Buffet is a far more costly way of doing things)

In the USA, Buffets are common place. Have ate at many over my lifetime. The great majority are ok to good, a few have been excellent, and some not so great (in our experience... you get what you pay for a Buffet under $ 10 US per person is not going to be very good)

In my experience, a lot of the land based Buffets may have a "Special Advertised Item" (ie Crab Legs) and when they are gone... They are gone. Hence WHY people seem to be so eager to get there early... I think this applies to the ship. Some Cruisers feel that the ship is going to run out of a particular item at the Buffet. Ship Buffets are to me more like the Higherend places ashore where it is the clock that sets when the selection ends.

Mr Sloop & I do the Buffet mostly for Breakfast, and the occasional Lunch. Rarely have we not got what we wanted... And that was cause we came to Breafast too late (slept in on a Sea Day)... And the Crew had / were Closing a Station. Even then I've seen Crew say they could get something for us if we'd be willing to wait a few extra minutes. We tell them it is ok, no worries we can just choose something else. Afterall, it was our own dang fault for not watching the clock... Still tho they have come thru for us on occasion.

Cheers!

And after all there's never anything to eat on a ship is there?

Have to agree, never seen a problem, occasionally someone wants to jump the line, but usually only to grab one thing, can't recall seeing anyone grabbing food with their fingers or licking the serving spoon or the other issues reported by some.

And I'm an Aussie and everyone knows Aussies are an uncouth bunch.

I'm not sure about that. Chris Hemsworth seems to be doing pretty well,so's his brother,Liam

Regarding buffet etiquette I would say the number one rule is " Please do not touch the food with your fingers" It is amazing how many folks you see picking things up...I will not even take this any farther! :D:D

I will most certainly get in someone's face if they're touching the food & not using the utensils provided. Having a catering company, it always creeps me out about the hygiene/manners of some people. We did this buffet a few years back & the CFO would stick his fingers into the food, taste it & move to the next chafer down the line. Totally disgusting! At least the HR manager called him a pig in front of everyone to hopefully humiliate him a bit. Didn't do a thing. It took the CEO to get in his face & call him into the office to straighten the idiot out.

Edited by keithm
Grammar correction

How about those that might be a bit sloppy putting food in their plate, instead of using a napkin to clean their fingers, they proceed to "LICK IT/THEM" and then go back to grabbing serving utensils! !!

Or those that cant wsit to eat so the nibble on their food while looking for more. Fingers go in mouth and then we have scenario similar to the first one!

That is a huge pet peeve of mine and for some reason im always the one noticing!!!

We are not fans of buffets at home or on a Cruise ship. I do stop by in the late afternoon to build a cheese plate to have with our wine in our cabin before getting ready to enjoy the evening. What really frost my stones are those that stop and use the hand sanitizer then blow in their hands to dry them and then proceed to use the line utensils to get their food.

If you do like like the manners of some people at the buffet you can waste you time trying to educate them by why bother. I go on a cruise to relax and enjoy, not to obsess over other people's buffet manners.

So basically it comes down to, if you don't like the buffet manners of others don't go to the buffet, lots of other venues to eat better food on a ship.

I now live in Las Vegas land of the never ending buffet line and we rarely see that issue at the high end buffets here. When you spend $35 or more to attend one the low class people who use their fingers, taste and put back, and jump the line don't bother to come.

I think you see it far less on Celebrity (I have never had an issue) than you do on some other cruise lines that cater to a different crowd with different manners.

I now live in Las Vegas land of the never ending buffet line and we rarely see that issue at the high end buffets here. When you spend $35 or more to attend one the low class people who use their fingers, taste and put back, and jump the line don't bother to come.

I think you see it far less on Celebrity (I have never had an issue) than you do on some other cruise lines that cater to a different crowd with different manners.

Don't kid yourself...we've seen most all of the problems on celebrity ships. I've stood next to people waiting for sandwiches picking out french fries from the tray with their fingers; tongs in the food (not even an attempt to lean them on the side of the serving container; kid tasting a dessert and putting it back; people putting food on the plate they just ate on (not a new plate) and deciding they have taken too much and putting some of it back....I could obviously go on.

Believe me, there's nothing special and different about Celebrity passenger's buffet manners.

Don't kid yourself...we've seen most all of the problems on celebrity ships. I've stood next to people waiting for sandwiches picking out french fries from the tray with their fingers; tongs in the food (not even an attempt to lean them on the side of the serving container; kid tasting a dessert and putting it back; people putting food on the plate they just ate on (not a new plate) and deciding they have taken too much and putting some of it back....I could obviously go on.

Believe me, there's nothing special and different about Celebrity passenger's buffet manners.

Agree!

Agree!

+1

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

We went to a very high end restaurant on Long Island, NY for Thanksgiving - it was a buffet, and it was about $60 per person.

I was standing behind someone, watching as she decided she didn't want the potatoes on her plate, and started putting them BACK into the buffet dish.

I even asked her to PLEASE not do that - and she looked at me and continued to spoon her potatoes out of her plate and back into the buffet dish.

I was just disgusted - and I finally just walked away.

People without manners (or common sense) are everywhere - no matter the price.

I have probably seen all the things discussed here, except maybe dumping a plate of potatos back into the bufet. :)

That said, the budding in line is probably the one that makes me mad. Just the thought that some people assume their time is more important than the other people in line. And when I say something many of them get mad at me for pointing out they are budding in line. The lines are ussually only a few minute wait, but it happens at least once per meal.

I have probably seen all the things discussed here, except maybe dumping a plate of potatos back into the bufet. :)

That said, the budding in line is probably the one that makes me mad. Just the thought that some people assume their time is more important than the other people in line. And when I say something many of them get mad at me for pointing out they are budding in line. The lines are ussually only a few minute wait, but it happens at least once per meal.

On our first cruise years ago(on Cunard) I had this guy who started "banging" me in the hands with his tray to "move" along. I had place an order for sunnyside eggs & the attendant said to wait for them, which I did. I asked pax to go around me as I waited, which all did with no issues, until this obnoxious New Yorker(yes, I'm from the area)tried to push me along. I warned him 3 times. After the 3'rd time, I grabbed his nose "3 Stooges" style & really twisted. I then told him next time I'd throw him over the side of the ship. A most stern response,I'll admit, but those who witnessed the event cheered. Sometimes those with bad manners need to be admonished sternly in public.