Am I Going to Get Death Stares for Dress Code on a 3 night Enchantment?

I have sailed Enchantment many years ago on a 7 night with my kids when they were young. Have sailed on the Sovereign and Monarch 3 night without kids.

Sailing this weekend on the EOS for my birthday with 6 kids - all girls who like to dress cute and 1 boy. I have a teenage son who is 13 and being from Central Florida NEVER wears pants. I mean never not even jeans.

Are we going to get death stares if he is in American Eagle or Hollister Khaki shorts and nice polo for dinner in the MDR?

I have sailed Enchantment many years ago on a 7 night with my kids when they were young. Have sailed on the Sovereign and Monarch 3 night without kids.

Sailing this weekend on the EOS for my birthday with 6 kids - all girls who like to dress cute and 1 boy. I have a teenage son who is 13 and being from Central Florida NEVER wears pants. I mean never not even jeans.

Are we going to get death stares if he is in American Eagle or Hollister Khaki shorts and nice polo for dinner in the MDR?

No Problem on EN.

Sure...... you're going to to get evil stares. There are folks out there who enjoy giving evil stares for anything. Let 'em stew in their own juices and wear what you feel is appropriate. Just enjoy your cruise and don't worry about those 'who do no wrong'.

I havent been on any 3 night cruises. I wouldnt worry if people give you evil stares or not. Just ingore them if so you are never going to see them again.

For me when i am on vacation I dont really care if the guy next to me in the mdr wears shorts or not .

Last time I was on Navigator a few weeks ago, there were people in the MDR with shorts on and also wearing baseball caps too!

No one paid attention to them.

Mark

Boerne, TX

Diamond Plus Member -- 38 RCL Cruises

Howdy! We have a son, daughter-in-law & grandson who live not far from Boerne!

I havent been on any 3 night cruises. I wouldnt worry if people give you evil stares or not. Just ingore them if so you are never going to see them again.

For me when i am on vacation I dont really care if the guy next to me in the mdr wears shorts or not .

I agree!

I was just on the Enchantment, if they are neat and tidy, you will get no evil stares. I have to admit I did give an evil stare in the dining room. While waiting for our table a couple checked in and what she was wearing was down right disgusting. She had on sweatpant cutoffs that we really small for her amble body, a dirty and I mean brown stains too tight white t-shirt and flip flops. Her partner was dressed in sweatpants hanging so low the showed about 3 inches of his boxes, flops, and a white wife beater shirt with a sweatjacket. I am not a prude by any means, but have some manners please, the dining room has a minimal dress code. I thought the hostess or the maitd would turn them away, but they did not. If I could have got my camera out I would have taken a shot. I have to tell you I would not walk my dog in the outfit she was wearing, much less show up in a public restaurant.

You can always try telling him there's probably going to be a lot of girls his age onboard, and they might like to see him in something more "dressed up" than shorts. Probably won't work any better than that line worked with our 12 YO grandson, but its worth a shot:)

Yeah he is all boy and the problem being that he is 13 but a big kid......5'6" and 150 lbs. He wears mens clothing and as a single mom I can't fathom shelling out $100 for 3 pairs of pants. I did just order him a long pair of khaki chino's for "formal night" and will tell him that is required. I do want to see what my handsome son looks like in other than his regular school shorts. He is all about Hollister and American Eagle, so at least he has good taste!

Yes you will get stares, the Fashion Police are everywhere. There is a certain group of passengers that what to control the actions of every other cruiser.

Agreed, so just stare back at them with a little smile, they'll think you're making fun of them!:D

PS,,, to the OP, your son might be related to me, I've only worn long pants about 6 times in the last 10 years since we moved to Florida! And we've taken dozens of cruises!

Edited by American Bear

The title of your thread really had me cracking up laughing! Some people sure can make you feel as though it's a life or death issue, so I know how you feel...LOL

Go ahead and put your young man in whatever he feels comfy in. You'll all be fine. Enjoy your cruise! ;)

This is not to say that I care what he wears, because I don't, but why would you need to buy 3 pairs of pants? He can wear the same pair to dinner for the 3 nights, and then change out of them after. That is what my boys are going to do.

I know they enforce the "long pants rule" for adults but don't know about kids. Just tell them you didn't pack any. Make sure the shorts are not "athletic/gyms shorts".

My suggestion, feed the kids in the Windjammer first and then you and the hubby go for a nice quiet dinner alone in the dining room. With six kids, you deserve it! :)

I would think by age 13 he would have a pair of long pants, or jeans to wear and would be old enough to understand that he should. Although you don't have dress all fancy, wearing a nice pair of jeans, and a polo shirt would not kill him.

My family (2 boys) have always lived in Florida, and have always had jeans, and khaki pants available to wear. They are now young adults, and they will still put on long pants when going out to a semi nice restaurant. (they keep the shorts on at McDonalds and Denny's).

I would think by age 13 he would have a pair of long pants, or jeans to wear and would be old enough to understand that he should. Although you don't have dress all fancy, wearing a nice pair of jeans, and a polo shirt would not kill him.

My family (2 boys) have always lived in Florida, and have always had jeans, and khaki pants available to wear. They are now young adults, and they will still put on long pants when going out to a semi nice restaurant. (they keep the shorts on at McDonalds and Denny's).

Alert, Alert fashion police arriving. :p :D

siren.gifsiren.gif

Alert, Alert fashion police arriving. :p :D

siren.gifsiren.gif

How much longer before Royal Caribbean just goes ahead and allows shorts in the MDR like Carnival does? An unenforced rule is a silly rule IMHO.

I know Im in a minority here but I simply dont care if people wear shorts in the MDR for dinner. I certainly wont do it but I could not care less what others wear.

How much longer before Royal Caribbean just goes ahead and allows shorts in the MDR like Carnival does? An unenforced rule is a silly rule IMHO.

I know Im in a minority here but I simply dont care if people wear shorts in the MDR for dinner. I certainly wont do it but I could not care less what others wear.

Since I don't stick my head under tables checking trouser lengths I can only be sure I have not worn them. :p

The real question is, "do you care?" Since you asked, it seems you do. Will people notice a 13 year old in shorts in the MDR? Sure. Especially on Formal Night. Will they "death stare?" No. No one really does that. Will they comment? Maybe, maybe not. They certainly won't comment to you. They might talk amongst themselves, they might not. But who cares? Do you?

Shorts are specifically banned from the MDR for dinners. So, when someone goes completely against the dress code, sure people will notice. But again, do you care? If not, then why ask. If you do care, get him a pair of pants for dinner. Heck, get him a collared shirt and an inexpensive tie for Formal Night. People will notice that too.

Edited by papaflamingo