after debarcation

zoesimon

Last year we arrived early at the airport after the cruise and they would not let us in until an hour before our flight. This year is worse. Our flight does not leave until 5 pm. What can we do in Ft. Lauderdale that does not cost a fortune. Or is there a place at the airport that we can wait??

Check out post cruise excursions. You may find something like an Everglades Airboat trip you can take that will drop you at the airport.

You can also rent a car and visit some of the sights in the area on your own. I see a mall called Sawgrass Mills mentioned frequently.

Last year we arrived early at the airport after the cruise and they would not let us in until an hour before our flight. This year is worse. Our flight does not leave until 5 pm. What can we do in Ft. Lauderdale that does not cost a fortune. Or is there a place at the airport that we can wait??

I am pretty sure that at FLL the rule is 3 or 4 hours. It can easily take close to an hour just to check your luggage and then get through the security line depending on the time of day and how many ships are in port.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Zoesimon...Can you clarify this? Did you mean board your flight.. or go into the actual building? I've never heard of an airport that checks your ticket at the door and does not allow you into the building until an hour before your flight. All my tickets say I MUST be there an hour before. That does not account for delays at TSA etc. I have sat at many an airport for more than 2 hours. In fact, I've sat at FLL more than an hour last trip to FL.

Zoesimon...Can you clarify this? Did you mean board your flight.. or go into the actual building? I've never heard of an airport that checks your ticket at the door and does not allow you into the building until an hour before your flight. All my tickets say I MUST be there an hour before. That does not account for delays at TSA etc. I have sat at many an airport for more than 2 hours. In fact, I've sat at FLL more than an hour last trip to FL.

They will let you into FLL. I am pretty sure that you cannot check your luggage in more than 4 hours before your flight. They might be variable depending on how busy the day is. I am not sure about that.

If you do a ship sponsored excursion, my understanding is they hold your luggage. You can also use Luggage Valet and once you place your luggage outside of your cabin the last night, you won't have to deal with it until reaching your final airport destination. Hopefully you are on a participating airline.

Since your flight isn't until late afternoon, the excursion idea sounds good.

Edited by denamo

They will let you into FLL. I am pretty sure that you cannot check your luggage in more than 4 hours before your flight. They might be variable depending on how busy the day is. I am not sure about that.

I'm not sure what you encountered last year, but there's no way they "won't let you in" until an hour before your flight. We just flew home from FLL on the 22nd, and we were there about 3 hours before our noonish flight. No problems checking luggage or getting into the gate area, although yes it DID take 45 minutes or more to get through check-in and security - Saturday/Sunday mornings are very busy at FLL with all the ships debarcing and everyone heading for FLL at about the same time.

I'm not sure what you encountered last year, but there's no way they "won't let you in" until an hour before your flight. We just flew home from FLL on the 22nd, and we were there about 3 hours before our noonish flight. No problems checking luggage or getting into the gate area, although yes it DID take 45 minutes or more to get through check-in and security - Saturday/Sunday mornings are very busy at FLL with all the ships debarcing and everyone heading for FLL at about the same time.

You agreed with exactly what I said.

Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi.

Watertaxi.com

Popular Post cruise excursion. Local, see the sites. You don't have to sit in traffic. Cheap. HOHO service at various restaurants.

I would not go to the Everglades between April and October unless you want to melt :)

10425364_10153373098708747_1976627176174542865_n.jpg?oh=a19fc5f229016e8258c75461083d283a&oe=54D4F158&__gda__=1428087613_f3f8e2992bf014c4a6081395f87388e2

I see a mall called Sawgrass Mills mentioned frequently.

Boca Town Center is much, much, much higher end than Sawgrass with a few flag ship stores that you don't often see.

Sawgrass is just a sprawling mall but nothing unique or exciting really. It's actually compact to walk through and confining feeling; very old mall feeling, just sprawling so overall large. I would bet even money you can get to Town Center faster than you can get to Sawgrass from the port too if you had a car.

I'd still take the water taxi though and remain within the Fort Lauderdale area; great restaurants to hop on and off at and million dollar views.

Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi.

Watertaxi.com

Popular Post cruise excursion. Local, see the sites. You don't have to sit in traffic. Cheap. HOHO service at various restaurants.

I would not go to the Everglades between April and October unless you want to melt :)

Boca Town Center is much, much, much higher end than Sawgrass with a few flag ship stores that you don't often see.

Sawgrass is just a sprawling mall but nothing unique or exciting really. It's actually compact to walk through and confining feeling; very old mall feeling, just sprawling so overall large. I would bet even money you can get to Town Center faster than you can get to Sawgrass from the port too if you had a car.

I'd still take the water taxi though and remain within the Fort Lauderdale area; great restaurants to hop on and off at and million dollar views.

Second the recommendation for the water taxi - you can get an all day pass for $22 that allows you to get off and on as many times as you wish. Wonderful AND inexpensive way to spend a few hours.

We got into the airport but could not go through security until one hour before our flight. That meant we had our luggage with us and no place to sit. We played cards on the floor.

Wow. I wonder is this was just a unique experience. My DH is an anxious flyer - worries about missing our flight - and we are ALWAYS at the airport early. I mean REALLY EARLY. We have never had an issue going through security or checking bags at any airport.

We have an 11:30 flight out of FLL and plan to go directly to FLL from the Oasis. I would not be happy having to wait in the lobby for two hours before being allowed to check my bags or go through security.

On the Florida Intl Airport website, there is a section on things to do at the airport. The list includes artwork viewing, walking paths, viewing areas, and lots more. http://www.broward.org/Airport/Terminals/Pages/Default.aspx

Also, there are baggage concessions and public baggage storage at the Florida Airport. This is handy for those airlines that won't let you check your luggage earlier than 2-3 hours. So, store your luggage safely, and explore the airport or do an excursion before your flight leaves.

FLL website also has a .pdf file on "Tips For Cruise Passengers".

http://www.broward.org/Airport/About/Documents/Airportseaportbooklet101910.pdf

We flew out of FLL a couple of weeks ago on Southwest with a 12:00 flight time.

The person at the head of the SW line asked our flight time. We were there very early, around 7:15. She told us no check-in until four hours, we waited in the lobby area until 8:00 then went to get in line. A different person was monitoring the line, and now we were told no check-in less than 2 hours. DW was not happy at all.

We went down two flights on the escalator to a small street level Southwest check-in desk and had no problem there. :)

Sorry but there is no way that can be correct:rolleyes:

Please do not be rude (eye roll). I was there. I know what happened. I was just trying to get info. Luckily the next reponse had sort of the same thing happen and they had a very good idea.

The time limits probably have something to do with how busy the airport is. I have been told 4 hours and 2 hours in the past. The problem with going on the water taxi is what to do with your luggage. We called our pre-cruise hotel and they allowed us to store it for a few hours. We went to breakfast then on the water taxi for a couple of hours then collected our luggage and headed to the airport.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Please do not be rude (eye roll). I was there. I know what happened. I was just trying to get info. Luckily the next reponse had sort of the same thing happen and they had a very good idea.

You said you "could not go through security until one hour before our flight". I don't think that's what you meant. That means at one hour before you were then allowed to go through the line to check in your bags and THEN get into the TSA lines.

Boarding time is usually half an hour before taking-off time, so that timing just won't work.

You have to mean something other than "could not go through security until one hour before our flight. Unless there was a huge security issue happening. Was that the case?