Arriving an hour late to MDR

renee1222

I don't know everyone is so worked up.

It is not a big deal.

The next seating isn't until 8:30.

They can order everything quickly, eat, and be out within 45 min or so.

There will probably be others "camping out" who came in at 5:30.

I doubt the servers even care......

Mtj2000 I'm guessing you just posted this sarcastically or to get a rise. Surely you weren't serious? Were you?

If you watch his posts, about 95% are posted sarcastically and to get a rise, that's about all he does here.

DW and I enjoy early seating at a large table to meet new people. We always let others at the table know if we will not be there the next evening so they do not have to sit around and wait wondering if we will show up. Common courtesy.

People who consistently arrive late, making others wait, are just selfish.

It's the right thing to do! We do Specailty Dining two nights during a 7 day cruise and we always tell the people at our table as well as the head waiter the nights we will not be joining them! :cool:

Edited by bigque

The simple solutions to this would be for the host to politely ask the couple to wait until the second seating was available, or shunt them to the MTD line.

Neither of these would work - you can't bounce between MDR and MTD, it's either or for the whole cruise. And as for waiting until second seating, there are others in those seats then. It would have to be the WJ or specialty dining.

You hit the nail on the head. I also work in a service industry and it's tough when a customer gets nasty, even about following the rules. So the staff is put into an extremely uncomfortable position of holding to a rule and risking a complaint against them. A complaint impacts future jobs etc. People should simply be more considerate of not only the staff, but fellow passengers.

In a perfect world, you are correct...but these inconsiderate people have gotten away with it all their lives and see nothing wrong with their internal philosophy of "the world revolves around them".

I send out a message to every cruiser on board a ship I am on....telling them the PRINCESS is on board -- ME, and I get everything I want, all the time. (LOL -- please see this last line as 'sarcasm'; I don't want jabs thrown at me)

I send out a message to every cruiser on board a ship I am on....telling them the PRINCESS is on board -- ME, and I get everything I want, all the time. (LOL -- please see this last line as 'sarcasm'; I don't want jabs thrown at me)

My daughter would be very upset to know this because she feels she is top of the line. :p. She refers to herself as queen instead of princess though. Hahaha

I will add this to the conversation. I thought it was very odd for the ocean adventure registration to be at 5:30pm when early dining started at 6:00pm. When I asked they said it would only take a few minutes but didn't mention that we would have to stand in a long line so my younger two kids and I were about 15 mins late for dinner. I was very stressed about this but saw a bunch of other parents and kids in the same situation we were in.

I wish they would take that into consideration and move registration up at least an hour before first seating starts.

No need, the latecomers should be asked to go to MTD and request a table. No drama, customer gets to eat in MDR and wait staff is not impacted!

Nope they can go to the jammer. Don't need them delaying us already in MTD. Why should my service suffer? It shouldnt. Peoples clothes don't impact my service. People going to MTD that are assigned traditional time makes us in MTD wait longer. TFB, jammer is upstairs.

We don't always makes reservations buy royal has forced me into mtd last 5 cruises. I don't want people with traditional dining slowing me down. Why should I wait behind them? They got their preference they can show up for it.
We, too, were forced into MTD the last two cruises, however, we ended up liking it.;):)

But, how strange is this? It seems that people were being told set dining times were full, therefore they would have to do MTD, now look at this post. Have things turned completely around?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2134804

We, too, were forced into MTD the last two cruises, however, we ended up liking it.;):)

But, how strange is this? It seems that people were being told set dining times were full, therefore they would have to do MTD, now look at this post. Have things turned completely around?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2134804

I like mtd as well. But it isnt my first choice. Therefore since I lost my choice I'm not also going to wait longer to accommodate those that want to flop between traditional and mtd at will.

I like mtd as well. But it isnt my first choice. Therefore since I lost my choice I'm not also going to wait longer to accommodate those that want to flop between traditional and mtd at will.

But they can't flip flop between the two.

On our last two cruises, I had requested set dining times but was assigned MTD, eventually, without pursuing it, we were given set times but I chose to go with the MTD.

Did you look at that thread? If not, person was told MTD was filled and they had to take traditional dining.

My daughter would be very upset to know this because she feels she is top of the line. :p. She refers to herself as queen instead of princess though. Hahaha

I don't ever want to be queen, the pressure of those royal parties would ruin my day....I rather be the princess, so that others know they will have to answer to my mum the queen, if they screw up. (LOL)

Let's put it this way. I may be 4'11" but have put in their place men much taller and bigger than I am in business situations....don't throw down that gauntlet. The law suit that will occur if someone puts a finger on me, would be a pleasure to follow through on. I can well hold my own, especially in public.

Effectively getting done what is right for ALL is what it is about.

Lmfao, business situations?? Lawsuit??? This isnt a business situation, its about interacting with the general public and those who dont care about consequences as long as our point is made either verbally or physically :cool:

Lmfao, business situations?? Lawsuit??? This isnt a business situation, its about interacting with the general public and those who dont care about consequences as long as our point is made either verbally or physically :cool:

If you get into a physical altercation on a royal ship I suggest you have a passport and high limit credit card.

If you get into a physical altercation on a royal ship I suggest you have a passport and high limit credit card.

Actually I did on my HAL cruise. All I got was a warning from the captain and head of security, that they would have the fbi board the ship if anything else happened.

Actually I did on my HAL cruise. All I got was a warning from the captain and head of security, that they would have the fbi board the ship if anything else happened.

Not a highlight I'd mention but that's besides the point of the thread. If you've got traditional timing it's expected that you show up in a timely manner. Simple

Not a highlight I'd mention but that's besides the point of the thread. If you've got traditional timing it's expected that you show up in a timely manner. Simple

Ya expected by people I could care less about, its not required. it doesnt matter much these days as those outdated traditional dining options are becoming a thing of the past :D

People are "worked up" because in traditional dining it IS a big deal. Latecomers upset the flow of a meal for everyone in their section because the wait staff has to interrupt service to all their tables while they take the latecomers' orders and get their food from another galley. To me, consistently showing up over an hour late for traditional dining is rude and inconsiderate.

The original post did not say anything about people coming late to the dining room consistently.

From what I can read it was only one time.

Maybe the ones who where late had a legitimate excuse.

Maybe even called the maître d and got permission.

Plus the servers in the dining room are professionals and are able to handle a few stragglers.

Everyone needs to put down the pitch forks & calm down.

Nobody's taking away bingo.

It's just dinner................

Edited by matj2000

Ya expected by people I could care less about, its not required. it doesnt matter much these days as those outdated traditional dining options are becoming a thing of the past :D

If you could care less, you do care some.

If someone showed up 30, 40, 60 minutes late that is their deal, we are not waiting more than 5 or 10 minutes for them to start and if they think they are going to instruct us otherwise I'd just laugh it off. I certainly wouldn't have a fist fight over it. That's what maniacs do.

If you watch his posts, about 95% are posted sarcastically and to get a rise, that's about all he does here.

In a perfect world, you are correct...but these inconsiderate people have gotten away with it all their lives and see nothing wrong with their internal philosophy of "the world revolves around them".

LIKE to both.

The original post did not say anything about people coming late to the dining room consistently.

Plus the servers in the dining room are professionals and are able to handle a few stragglers.

Thank you, and since the OP wasn't at that table........

Have a good laugh -- that's fine. These rude and inconsiderate cruisers who arrive an hour late and expect others to be kept waiting until 'they' arrive before being served, have probably never had someone stand up to them. I am sure if a fellow passenger did, they would 'fold up like a house of cards' -- they are exerting power that they don't have, and figure 'no one' will push the issue.

The minute someone stands up to these type of people, they cower and sink. They may not change for the long haul, as long as they get the message with me.

No pitchfork here, and I don't play bingo. I do, however, hope that the people I'm sharing a ship with will make an effort to comply with the policies that have been established so that ALL may have an enjoyable cruise. In my experience, passengers who regularly show up for dinner 30 or more minutes late negatively impact the experience for an entire section.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. From what I've read of your posts, you and I will always be on opposite ends of a discussion. I think if we were ever on the same sailing we'd see the experience completely differently.