Arriving an hour late to MDR

renee1222

For the most part I consider myself a very laid back cruiser. I try not to make other people's business my business, especially while on vacation. I am not a member of the fashion police, and if chairs are "occupied" by towels, flip flops, etc., I just move on somewhere else. I choose to follow the suggestions made by the cruise line in regards to dinner attire, etc. (Although I must admit that my 4 year old was recently turned away from the WJ for being barefoot. I did not even realize he was barefoot, and I applaud the staff for doing their job.)

However, on our Enchantment cruise, I witnessed 2 families (at different tables) arrive over an hour late for dinner. I was shocked when they arrived at 7pm for a 5:45 seating. It was formal night and the day we were in Nassau until midnight, so I understand they probably did not get back to the ship until later in the afternoon. But why not just eat in the WJ that night? One of the families was at the table right next to us with our same wait staff. I felt very sorry for the staff as they tried to accommodate the latecomers. It appeared the waiter was politely explaining that they would need to order and eat quickly due to the next seating. I'm not sure if they even ordered appetizers, as we finished dessert and were leaving before any of their food arrived.

While this event in no way "ruined my cruise," I do wish that maybe the Maitre D or someone would turn away latecomers after a certain time, out of respect for the crew members and the late seating diners.

Pathetic. And they get away with it too. Ive often read where back in "the good ol days" if you were over 15 minutes late, too bad so sad. The doors were closed and you were not getting in.

They should adopt that policy again.

If Im gonna be over 10 minutes late, I will find another place to eat.

Edited by ryano

Customer service. They will not turn them away. They sure could close the doors at a certain time but I'm thinking that they do not want to catch a possible verbal beating from the cruiser. Those kind of people will cause a scene.:(

You could make examples of many things SOME cruisers do that lack common courtesy. Luckily, that is not the norm when cruising and most do show it.

Customer service. They will not turn them away. They sure could close the doors at a certain time but I'm thinking that they do not want to catch a possible verbal beating from the cruiser. Those kind of people will cause a scene.:(

The customer service thing that they fail to understand (in MANY instances - this, kids at Chef's Table, chair hogs, etc., etc...) is how many customers they end up inconveniencing and providing poor customer service for - by refusing to take a stand and ENFORCE the rules, reservation times, etc. for the rude and inconsiderate few.

The customer service thing that they fail to understand (in MANY instances - this, kids at Chef's Table, chair hogs, etc., etc...) is how many customers they end up inconveniencing and providing poor customer service for - by refusing to take a stand and ENFORCE the rules, reservation times, etc. for the rude and inconsiderate few.

Could not agree more!!!:)

Well said

Pathetic. And they get away with it too. Ive often read where back in "the good ol days" if you were over 15 minutes late, too bad so sad. The doors were closed and you were not getting in.

How long ago do you consider the "good ol days"? :D I can tell you that it was not all that long ago there was a sign at the MDR saying the doors were closed 15 minutes after the time of the seating, and they WERE closed.

Edited by iheartbda

How long ago do you consider the "good ol days"? :D I can tell you that it was not all that long ago there was a sign at the MDR saying the doors were closed 15 minutes after the time of the seating, and they WERE closed.

They should still post that sign IMHO :)

Well said.

We had a bad experience with table mates on our last cruise. Arriving to formal night underdressed (Yes, I know this is a delicate topic!!) and arriving 10-15 minutes late some nights. I know that is an acceptable time, but when your there since 8:30, and your waitress had already explained the menu and taken your orders, it became somewhat of an inconvenience, not only for us, but our waitstaff also.

On a Princess cruise in 2002 we were seated near the dining room door and were able to see their process. At 15 mins past seating time the doors were closed. People who came in after the doors were closed were intercepted and sent elsewhere. This was a 14 night cruise, and by night 4 people were no longer trying to come in late.

No muss, no fuss, just a simple explanation of how the rules worked for everyone.

Friends of ours told us how on a Royal Caribbean T.A. 3 years ago they were seated at a table for 8. One couple usually ran 15-30 mins late. They explained to the waiter that the orders for the table were not to be taken until they arrived and all orders would be placed at the same time.

Friends said they don't know how that all worked out as they left for another table assignment.

I don't know everyone is so worked up.

It is not a big deal.

The next seating isn't until 8:30.

They can order everything quickly, eat, and be out within 45 min or so.

There will probably be others "camping out" who came in at 5:30.

I doubt the servers even care......

Edited by matj2000

the customer service thing that they fail to understand (in many instances - this, kids at chef's table, chair hogs, etc., etc...) is how many customers they end up inconveniencing and providing poor customer service for - by refusing to take a stand and enforce the rules, reservation times, etc. For the rude and inconsiderate few.

^this^

Friends of ours told us how on a Royal Caribbean T.A. 3 years ago they were seated at a table for 8. One couple usually ran 15-30 mins late. They explained to the waiter that the orders for the table were not to be taken until they arrived and all orders would be placed at the same time.

Friends said they don't know how that all worked out as they left for another table assignment.

How rude! I hope it's a urban/cruise legend. If I was at that table and had to wait 15-30 minutes to order, I'd get the head waiter move me to another table w/ more reasonable people.

We've had latecomers on our last two cruises. No big deal. The waiter took our orders first, and the latecomers would usually catch up with us by dessert.

I do wish that maybe the Maitre D or someone would turn away latecomers after a certain time, out of respect for the crew members and the late seating diners.

They should adopt that policy again. .

So true.

get rid of these awful people.

Rude and Rude they are.

It makes me mad that these type of people exist on cruises.

Close the doors, I say, and let them eat in the WJ or elsewhere.

Selfish and rude.

(Did I mention Rude ?)

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
elastic band of underpants is broken

It's very rude. It used to be a matter of manners and pride to be on time, but now apparently it's rude to expect it. I feel bad when we're the last to arrive at the table even though it's exactly on time:D

On a Princess cruise in 2002 we were seated near the dining room door and were able to see their process. At 15 mins past seating time the doors were closed. People who came in after the doors were closed were intercepted and sent elsewhere. This was a 14 night cruise, and by night 4 people were no longer trying to come in late.

No muss, no fuss, just a simple explanation of how the rules worked for everyone.

I can tell you this, if DH and I would have been one of those other couples at the table with the rude, late arriving people who expected US to wait for them to have our orders taken....I would have had a face to face conversation with those cruisers....they could REIMBURSE ME for my cruise, and MAYBE then I will allow myself to have dinner on THEIR TIMETABLE. (Probably not, in any case). They are not my mom and dad, and don't instruct others as to how to TREAT me.

Your friends should not have been the ones to MOVE, the rude and late couple should have been moved to a table for themselves.

Paulette. You GO Girl.

I am so proud of you for saying that.

Well, how dare those people......they haven't met this girl who would not stand for that behavior!

As my husband would say, I would insult them tactfully, but they would clearly understand!

When I was a little girl, my mom and I waited every night for my dad to come home before we would have dinner. My dad deserved to have his family around him for dinner each night....not those people.

We had a simlar thing happen once at a table for 8 on the first night, but the other 6 of us at the table stood our ground and solved it on the second night by just letting the waiter know that we didn't choose to wait for the late couple. After they came twice while the rest of us were finishing our appetizers, and they were essentially a course behind the rest of the table, with all six of us leaving the table while they ate dessert, we noticed a change in the behavior.:D They showed up pretty much on time for the last 4 nights of the cruise.

It's basic Skinner…operant conditioning…either they'll modify their behavior when reinforcement is withheld, or they won't. In our case, they modified the behavior. (Though we did actually have a bet going at the table as to whether they'd just never show up again after we ordered without them the first two times. DH and I won a drink on that one because we thought they were trainable while the others at our table thought they weren't.;))

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Sometimes things happen. But the staff are hard pressed to do what is right by all, when faced with these cirumstances.

I don't know everyone is so worked up.

It is not a big deal.

The next seating isn't until 8:30.

They can order everything quickly, eat, and be out within 45 min or so.

There will probably be others "camping out" who came in at 5:30.

I doubt the servers even care......

I'm sure the waiters DO care when they have to clear the tables, reset them for the next seating and barely have a breather in between.