Arriving an hour late to MDR

renee1222

Unfortunately, everyone is so afraid of "offending" the offenders nowadays.....what ever happened to common courtesy?

I agree and question what has happened to common courtesy, if not to the staff, at least to your fellow cruisers who are at your table.....oh, I know....these people who come so late and expect others to 'bow at their feet and obey their wishes' BELIEVE the world revolves around them....well guess what -- It DOESN'T. But if you the one of the other cruisers at the table don't speak up....foolish on you.

The other cruisers at the table have to speak up. Do I believe their should be rules for tardiness....yes; after a certain time (it needs to be posted - 15 or 20 minutes) the dining room doors will be closed. Dinner guests seated with have begun to be served. Those that are later can either join the MTD line or head to WJ or another specialty restaurant, if seating is available.

I agree and question what has happened to common courtesy, if not to the staff, at least to your fellow cruisers who are at your table.....oh, I know....these people who come so late and expect others to 'bow at their feet and obey their wishes' BELIEVE the world revolves around them....well guess what -- It DOESN'T. But if you the one of the other cruisers at the table don't speak up....foolish on you.

The other cruisers at the table have to speak up. Do I believe their should be rules for tardiness....yes; after a certain time (it needs to be posted - 15 or 20 minutes) the dining room doors will be closed. Dinner guests seated with have begun to be served. Those that are later can either join the MTD line or head to WJ or another specialty restaurant, if seating is available.

Agree with most, except sending them to My Time Dining. I don't want to be delayed in line behind someone that got fixed time traditional timing and couldn't be bothered to turn up on time.

Does anyone else remember first and second seating for breakfast and lunch?!

(Though we did actually have a bet going at the table as to whether they'd just never show up again after we ordered without them the first two times. DH and I won a drink on that one because we thought they were trainable while the others at our table thought they weren't.;))

Judy

I was with you until this - they were 'trainable' and then spent the rest of the cruise not knowing that their table mates made bets about them? I'm now not convinced about who behaved the worst.

Edited by jenibor

I don't know everyone is so worked up.

It is not a big deal.

The next seating isn't until 8:30.

They can order everything quickly, eat, and be out within 45 min or so.

There will probably be others "camping out" who came in at 5:30.

I doubt the servers even care......

Oh yes, they do care and yes, it is a big deal!!

The galley closes appetizers by a certain time to continue with entrées, they close entrées by a certain time to continue with desserts... So when the galley closed the appetizers the waiters have to run up to the MTD galley and pick up the food there. I doubt they will be tipped for that extra mile by those late arriving passengers...:eek::eek:!!

steamboats

And that's why I always insist to have a table for two, or do MTD.

I desire to be seated at a table with others for the enjoyment of the company of fellow cruisers, and my enjoyment will not be ruined by the poor behavior of others. Those kind of people are not trainable, but they need to have the feel the punishment of their actions not others....they can be seated at the WORST table for two in the dining room, as far as I am concerned for the remainder of the cruise.

Agree with most, except sending them to My Time Dining. I don't want to be delayed in line behind someone that got fixed time traditional timing and couldn't be bothered to turn up on time.

Does anyone else remember first and second seating for breakfast and lunch?!

I was on the Allure last month and one couple would arrive between 20/30 minutes late every evening, each night they would say they were in the "Diamond Club", like that was a valid excuse.

Spending time in the Diamond Club is no excuse -- but it surely is there was of letting you know what level of importance they put on THEMSELVES. I don't believe others who have reservations for MTD will be delayed, the couple without reservations will be on the 'no reservations' line.

I guess I am not cruising long enough to know about first and second seating for breakfast and lunch.

Edited by Paulette3028

It is not a big deal.

Mtj2000 I'm guessing you just posted this sarcastically or to get a rise. Surely you weren't serious? Were you? I've seen plenty of diners come in late. The servers become very rushed and have to change their pace of serving to try and get them caught up. It is very disrespectful and selfish. I realize that there are times when we've been at a show and have come in 10 minutes late, but we have forewarned our tablemates and waiters. So they are prepared for this event. We also do late seating so it isn't quite as important because they don't need to set up for another service. But it still cuts into their time off, which is very valuable to the crew.

So... sure the servers care. Look, if you want to eat dinner at 7:00 instead of 6:30 just select MTD and make a reservation for 7:00 for every night. That's sort of the whole point of MTD. Why take traditional dining only to inconvenience tablemates and servers?

Edited by papaflamingo

Mtj2000 I'm guessing you just posted this sarcastically or to get a rise. Surely you weren't serious? Were you? I've seen plenty of diners come in late. The servers become very rushed and have to change their pace of serving to try and get them caught up. It is very disrespectful and selfish. I realize that there are times when we've been at a show and have come in 10 minutes late, but we have forewarned our tablemates and waiters. So they are prepared for this event. We also do late seating so it isn't quite as important because they don't need to set up for another service. But it still cuts into their time off, which is very valuable to the crew.

So... sure the servers care. Look, if you want to eat dinner at 7:00 instead of 6:30 just select MTD and make a reservation for 7:00 for every night. That's sort of the whole point of MTD. Why take traditional dining only to inconvenience tablemates and servers?

Just like you, we are very considerate of our tablemates and our wait staff (who already have a tough job, probably tougher than most of us cruisers could handle -- IMO).

When we know we could be late or absolutely won't be at dinner because we are doing a specialty restaurant, we let our tablemates and wait staff know they should not expect us that evening. It isn't difficult at all to do.

It is not a big deal.

People are "worked up" because in traditional dining it IS a big deal. Latecomers upset the flow of a meal for everyone in their section because the wait staff has to interrupt service to all their tables while they take the latecomers' orders and get their food from another galley. To me, consistently showing up over an hour late for traditional dining is rude and inconsiderate.

If someone wants a standing dinner time of 7:00, that's MTD, not traditional. I think these people should have been directed to another venue. The cruise lines are so worried about offending discourteous passengers that they don't enforce their own policies.:(

People are "worked up" because in traditional dining it IS a big deal. Latecomers upset the flow of a meal for everyone in their section because the wait staff has to interrupt service to all their tables while they take the latecomers' orders and get their food from another galley. To me, consistently showing up over an hour late for traditional dining is rude and inconsiderate.

If someone wants a standing dinner time of 7:00, that's MTD, not traditional. I think these people should have been directed to another venue. The cruise lines are so worried about offending discourteous passengers that they don't enforce their own policies.:(

It isn't just cruise lines that are worried about offending paying customers, it is all companies; but what about the other customers who are being inconvenienced by the rude and discourteous customer. WE HAVE RIGHTS TOO, and paid for our cruise as well.

I work for a company that struggles with this....I don't struggle with it, in my role, I handle the rude/obnoxious person tackfully and move on. If we lose one customer but keep 10, those are pretty good odds to me!

I posted this on another thread, but on our last cruise we were at a 4 person table and the other couple were late each day. The first day 15 minutes late, then 30, each day was later and later. Luckily our wait staff didn't wait for them. But it was awkward eating our entrees when they were ordering appetizers, and then finally on the last day almost finishing dessert as they were coming to the table. It felt like we were horrible table mates and they were hoping to miss us or spend as little time with us as possible. If I knew we could have changed, we would have.

Spending time in the Diamond Club is no excuse -- but it surely is there was of letting you know what level of importance they put on THEMSELVES. I don't believe others who have reservations for MTD will be delayed, the couple without reservations will be on the 'no reservations' line.

I guess I am not cruising long enough to know about first and second seating for breakfast and lunch.

We don't always makes reservations buy royal has forced me into mtd last 5 cruises. I don't want people with traditional dining slowing me down. Why should I wait behind them? They got their preference they can show up for it.

DW and I enjoy early seating at a large table to meet new people. We always let others at the table know if we will not be there the next evening so they do not have to sit around and wait wondering if we will show up. Common courtesy.

People who consistently arrive late, making others wait, are just selfish.

I can tell you this, if DH and I would have been one of those other couples at the table with the rude, late arriving people who expected US to wait for them to have our orders taken....I would have had a face to face conversation with those cruisers....they could REIMBURSE ME for my cruise, and MAYBE then I will allow myself to have dinner on THEIR TIMETABLE. (Probably not, in any case). They are not my mom and dad, and don't instruct others as to how to TREAT me.

Your friends should not have been the ones to MOVE, the rude and late couple should have been moved to a table for themselves.

lol a face to face, yaaaa try that with me or the wrong person and you may end up in a baddd situation....

All of these are examples of the failure of the cruise line to enforce REASONABLE regulations whether they be dress, arrival time, chair hogs. I believe the staff does not want to confront these guests for fear they will complain and it will be held against them. This has really degraded the cruise experience for the purists who unfortunately are now in the minority. When their failure to enforce rules impacts other guests that is simply wrong.

We don't always makes reservations buy royal has forced me into mtd last 5 cruises. I don't want people with traditional dining slowing me down. Why should I wait behind them? They got their preference they can show up for it.

The next time the reservation agent (or travel agent or whomever) is trying to maneuver you into MTD, just take it....THEN email rcldining@rccl.com. In the email, put your reservation number and dining preference (early or late seating, size of table you want even if you like a special place in the dining room). Explain that you don't want MTD. This department will get it done. You will know within a week! Don't wait until last minute, do it when you book the cruise.

I know they will, because they do it for me -- everytime.

The next time the reservation agent (or travel agent or whomever) is trying to maneuver you into MTD, just take it....THEN email rcldining@rccl.com. In the email, put your reservation number and dining preference (early or late seating, size of table you want even if you like a special place in the dining room). Explain that you don't want MTD. This department will get it done. You will know within a week! Don't wait until last minute, do it when you book the cruise.

I know they will, because they do it for me -- everytime.

Thank you for the info and advice. I will save it for future use.

All of these are examples of the failure of the cruise line to enforce REASONABLE regulations whether they be dress, arrival time, chair hogs. I believe the staff does not want to confront these guests for fear they will complain and it will be held against them. This has really degraded the cruise experience for the purists who unfortunately are now in the minority. When their failure to enforce rules impacts other guests that is simply wrong.

You hit the nail on the head. I also work in a service industry and it's tough when a customer gets nasty, even about following the rules. So the staff is put into an extremely uncomfortable position of holding to a rule and risking a complaint against them. A complaint impacts future jobs etc. People should simply be more considerate of not only the staff, but fellow passengers.

lol a face to face, yaaaa try that with me or the wrong person and you may end up in a baddd situation....

Let's put it this way. I may be 4'11" but have put in their place men much taller and bigger than I am in business situations....don't throw down that gauntlet. The law suit that will occur if someone puts a finger on me, would be a pleasure to follow through on. I can well hold my own, especially in public.

Effectively getting done what is right for ALL is what it is about.

How true, and since everyone paid for their own fares, our rights have value as well....not just those 'other selfish' cruisers, who feel it is their private yacht.