Add me to the "WOW" sucker list!

I have read numerous threads about how the WOW sales for Royal Caribbean arnt actually sales and that they only continue them because "less than smart people" keep booking them. Well, I guess ill add myself to that list! Never cruised before (Had many dummy reservations but thats a long story), but booked 4 day bahama's on the Enchantment next september for $800 total for 2 ppl including prepaid tips and $100 OBC. Im not sure how low these certain cruises go, but I was "WOW'd" at how cheap it was. I noticed there seems to be some negativity on here so I just wanted to share my excitement. :D

Happy Sailing Everyone.

Edited by mguimond1990

I have read numerous threads about how the WOW sales for Royal Caribbean arnt actually sales and that they only continue them because "less than smart people" keep booking them. Well, I guess ill add myself to that list! Never cruised before (Had many dummy reservations but thats a long story), but booked 4 day bahama's on the Enchantment next september for $800 total for 2 ppl including prepaid tips and $100 OBC. Im not sure how low these certain cruises go, but I was "WOW'd" at how cheap it was. I noticed there seems to be some negativity on here so I just wanted to share my excitement. :D

Happy Sailing Everyone.

I understand your sentiment. I hope you enjoy cruise and it sounds like a decent value. For those of us who have cruised with Royal the BOGOHO or VOW2WOW started out a legitmate sale. but as it progressed returning cruisers could get cheaper fares without the OBC.

I think the negativity about WOW sales from some on CC, me included is due to the fact we book most cruises way in advance. So when a WOW sale comes along and the price goes way up we are not WOW'd. WOW sales for the most part are for new cruisers and last minute bookings, not for those of us who book a year or more out. Not all cases, but a lot. JMHO

Happy Sailing Everyone.

You did GOOD!! :D

Prices are relative to when you book, which is why it is difficult to argue in the first place.

I got price drops on 4 of 5 cruises I had booked during the May 2014 BOGOHO sale. Not a single one of those cruise has dropped to the same (or a better) price since, but that doesn't mean the newer sales weren't a good deal at the time.

Do prices go up (sometimes) during a sale? Yes. The Cyber Monday sales on Celebrity were an example of this; some prices went up just for that day.

There are sites that track prices as soon as cruises are released. If you really want to know how competitive a sale/price is, you can check those. Just remember that some prices may only be seen when the cruise is first launched, or when it is a month to sailing, so unless you can book early or last minute there are no guarantees that a better deal will come along.

My opinion of prices... if you like the cruise, and like the price, then book it. If prices go down before final payment you can get the reduction. So by booking, you have locked into a price you are good with in a cabin you want. After final payment is a different story. If prices drop then you can try and upgrade. I have done that many times.

But prices also go up. When that happens, you'll be happy you locked in.

I guess the real answer is this. If you are ok with NOT going on the cruise, then wait and see. But if you want to go, get a cabin at your choice, at a price you can afford. If you wait, you will likely have little to no choice on cabin and run the risk of being outpriced on the cruise.

So don't feel concerned. You did well. Watch the prices and if they drop, get the reduction. Enchantment is a smaller ship, so it could sell out. If that happens then you did great!

I think the negativity about WOW sales from some on CC, me included is due to the fact we book most cruises way in advance. So when a WOW sale comes along and the price goes way up we are not WOW'd. WOW sales for the most part are for new cruisers and last minute bookings, not for those of us who book a year or more out. Not all cases, but a lot. JMHO

In my opinion it doesn't have anything to do with new or old cruiser but rather about the math.

I booked 15 months out and ended up re-pricing yesterday under one of the current WOW sale. See my experience here:

12/7 - 12/10 Yet Another WOW Sale Result

I ended up paying a little more but got a lot more OBC. (see thread)

I say: If the math works then do it. :)

Forgot to add on my other reply:

I agree that the WOW sales can be very scammy and I am personally not a fan of them. It seems that RCI has had a sale everyday this year since spring. Reminds me of Kohls or other department stores where everything is always 50-75% every single day.

Personally, it has impact on their credibility WITH ME. Not sure if other people feel the same.

We just booked a JS (our first) for nearly the same price we've paid in the past for a Balcony cabin and we got 300 on board credit with an additional $190 from a big time warehouse store we booked through. Going on the Navigator next October, DW's fall break. Hoping but not expecting to get upgraded to a Grand for all the perks. :)

Dave

Forgot to add on my other reply:

I agree that the WOW sales can be very scammy and I am personally not a fan of them. It seems that RCI has had a sale everyday this year since spring. Reminds me of Kohls or other department stores where everything is always 50-75% every single day.

Personally, it has impact on their credibility WITH ME. Not sure if other people feel the same.

Yeah, it's a marketing technique designed to create an urgency in the buyer's mind so that they "don't miss out".

Me? I just track prices until I'm ready to book. I look at the total price less OBC to make my determination.

Also, sometimes it makes a difference if booking for 2 or booking for 4 (with the kids), because 3rd/4th price also fluctuates.

Yeah, it's a marketing technique designed to create an urgency in the buyer's mind so that they "don't miss out".

Me? I just track prices until I'm ready to book. I look at the total price less OBC to make my determination.

Also, sometimes it makes a difference if booking for 2 or booking for 4 (with the kids), because 3rd/4th price also fluctuates.

Some of the stuff I seen earlier this year looked like little more than buying your OBC upfront. I have no big issue with that if you plan to use OBC. However, I am not interested in paying face value for it. Raise my cruise price $100 and give me $100 OBC = Not Interested. Raise my cruise price $100 and give me $200 OBC = now we're talking. Of course, that is pretty obvious for most all of us. :)

Add me too

We booked our cruise during the WOW sale and got hefty discounts of 1k..1k for a balcony cabin ! I'm not joking. Even got OBC, so for that our drinks are already settled.Though the bad side is that i lose out on the cabin of my choice but hey a 1k diff versus a cabin of my choice? I rather take the 1k.

Now I'm waiting for the last min deals that hopefully the JS price will drop so I can upgrade.

On a side note, maybe there are giving out WOW sales now and then because they can't fill their ships fully? And i noticed that after a few cabins have been sold during the WOW sale, the price increase slightly.

I always watch for great prices. I booked a few weeks ago with the WOW for a Feb 5 day cruise. I got a great price because it allowed me to use a GA Resident rate with the OBC. I got a GS on Explorer for 690.00pp and 300.00 obc. Then they added another Wow sale this weekend increasing the OBC to 400.00.

I called and my big box ta was able to get the additional money. I also have a 95.00 credit from them.

Bottom line 1380.00 with a 495.00 credit for a Grand Suite.

Pretty good deal.

Thanks to this thread, I just called and got $200 OBC for our cruise! We already had the half off one person, and our total rate did not change at all for our aft balcony! I am so excited!

Question - does the OBC show up in your reservation online? And if so, where do I look for it? Thanks!

Edited by Fraggle5512

Happy Sailing Everyone.

Pay no attention to the naysayers. If the WOW sail was a great bargain for you, then YOU GOT A DEAL! Stay excited, and enjoy your cruise. ;)

We usually book when cruises are released but have decided on a 7 day with friends sometime in March. Date still undecided but I've been checking prices for a few weeks. The cruise we are thinking will be the 'one' had a $400 per person price rise the day the WOW sale started, so no Wow for us.

OP I hope you have a fantastic trip and congrats for scoring a great deal :D

Thanks to this thread, I just called and got $200 OBC for our cruise! We already had the half off one person, and our total rate did not change at all for our aft balcony! I am so excited!

Question - does the OBC show up in your reservation online? And if so, where do I look for it? Thanks!

You have to call whomever you booked with and get a copy of your booking invoice. It will be midway down on the page.

We booked our March 2015 cruise on the Navigator through United Cruises so that we could get points for booking. Went to make final payment today and noticed the WOW sale and also that the price had dropped even more. Called United and they got it adjusted, almost $600 less than when we originally booked and we also now get a $250 on board credit!:D