Diamond plus changes on Oasis

I have never sailed in a suite, but you have all got me thinking of going on NCL again!

There is a LIVE thread right now on Oasis and now that Dynamic Dining has been delayed) scrapped?) it looks like Wonderland is not going to happen anytime soon and the D Lounge has been moved to the old Concierge Lounge.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

As a suite cruiser, who is Diamond and will very soon to be D+, the only reason we haven't tried NCL is they have no Flowrider. We will try NCL at some point.

I wouldn't be so quick to chose NCL.

Thought I'd pass on some info, do with it as you wish,,,

Did a comparison on 3 nice ships, been on them all, and all are good.

MSC Divina Miami

NCL Getaway Miami

RCL Freedom of the Seas Port Canaveral.

Compared a March, 7 day cruise, all Florida ports.

Approximate prices with nothing like age, location, etc. added.

MSC and NCL offer more service in their ship within a ship offerings.

MSC Divina (Yacht Club $1850. per person)

RCL Freedom (Grand Suite $2300. per person)

NCL Getaway (Haven $2950. per person)

$1100 per person between MSC and NCL, that's a big difference!:eek:

If you don't like the best price in MSC, the RCL cruise will give you 2x points!:)

If you don't like the best price in MSC, the RCL cruise will give you 2x points!:)

With the new NCL promotion and weak RC suite amenities, double points is not what some will cruise for!

Freedom has nothing that even compares to the Haven. IMHO

With the new NCL promotion and weak RC suite amenities, double points is not what some will cruise for!

We would agree with you that the benes. with the Haven is superior to suite benes. on the Freedom!

But the NCL Haven and the MSC Yacht Club have basically the same benes., both ships are out of Miami, same size ship, both almost new ships, and the MSC Yacht Club on the Divina is about $1100. less per person then the NCL Haven! $2200. a week is a lot of money for basically the same cruise/service!

We think this is what RCL is attempting to do by reducing D+ bene., separate Pinnacle and Suite cruisers away from D+, and find ways to compete with NCL and MSC for cruisers wanting more for their money in the $1800-$3000 per person price range! In that price range right now, you get far more from NCL, and MSC! Just our opinion.:)

Thought I'd pass on some info, do with it as you wish,,,

Did a comparison on 3 nice ships, been on them all, and all are good.

MSC Divina Miami

NCL Getaway Miami

RCL Freedom of the Seas Port Canaveral.

Compared a March, 7 day cruise, all Florida ports.

Approximate prices with nothing like age, location, etc. added.

MSC and NCL offer more service in their ship within a ship offerings.

MSC Divina (Yacht Club $1850. per person)

RCL Freedom (Grand Suite $2300. per person)

NCL Getaway (Haven $2950. per person)

Americanbear, thanks for the price comparison. I tend to agree with Debde, espically when it comes to a ship class comparison. We have only sailed the Oasis class as of late mainly in the sky loft suite but have been in an owners suite, crown loft suite, royal and royal loft suite.

Suite perks from what I read on NCL with the Haven kick butt, even compared to deck 17 on the Oasis class of ship. Now that RC have taken away the free drinks from 12-11pm in the suite lounge they have stepped backwards in suite perks after 6 weeks of offering it. Yes, RC gives double points to which they charge a sufficient premium.

In 7.5 weeks I will be Diamond Plus, and at 43 even at our suite sailing rate, I won't become Pinnacle for 15 years. RC has been changing plans so who knows if it will still exsist, or will I need a million points. ;)

So, yes I have been loyal to Royal, but we have also been loyal to ourselves. We book the class of ship and room that we love. We have 7 sailings booked until March of next year and will enjoy them. However, when booking going forward we will choose iteneraries and suite perks over line loyalty. If that ship has a Flowrider then they have a slight bell curve. ;)

We discovered Royal when we branched out from Princess, so who knows what we will find if we branch out again. We have enjoyed every cruise point we earned, but it never hurts to look at the options. After reading about a great experience that a CC friend had on NCL it makes me think that is the next line to try.

We think this is what RCL is attempting to do by reducing D+ bene., separate Pinnacle and Suite cruisers away from D+, and find ways to compete with NCL and MSC for cruisers wanting more for their money in the $1800-$3000 per person price range! In that price range right now, you get far more from NCL, and MSC! Just our opinion.:)

You might be right. I would like more for my money too, who wouldn't. :D

Americanbear, thanks for the price comparison. I tend to agree with Debde, espically when it comes to a ship class comparison. We have only sailed the Oasis class as of late mainly in the sky loft suite but have been in an owners suite, crown loft suite, royal and royal loft suite.

Suite perks from what I read on NCL with the Haven kick butt, even compared to deck 17 on the Oasis class of ship. Now that RC have taken away the free drinks from 12-11pm in the suite lounge they have stepped backwards in suite perks after 6 weeks of offering it. Yes, RC gives double points to which they charge a sufficient premium.

In 7.5 weeks I will be Diamond Plus, and at 43 even at our suite sailing rate, I won't become Pinnacle for 15 years. RC has been changing plans so who knows if it will still exsist, or will I need a million points. ;)

So, yes I have been loyal to Royal, but we have also been loyal to ourselves. We book the class of ship and room that we love. We have 7 sailings booked until March of next year and will enjoy them. However, when booking going forward we will choose iteneraries and suite perks over line loyalty. If that ship has a Flowrider then they have a slight bell curve. ;)

We discovered Royal when we branched out from Princess, so who knows what we will find if we branch out again. We have enjoyed every cruise point we earned, but it never hurts to look at the options. After reading about a great experience that a CC friend had on NCL it makes me think that is the next line to try.

I agree with you on this. We are early 40s and late 30s and will be diamond+ in 6 more cruises. Honestly I can care less about any loyalty program benefits. We cruise in suites for the perks that we receive today, not 5,10 or 20 cruises from now. We started with Princess as well. At this point we have a few cruises booked over the next year with RC and am only loyal for the kids program/flowrider. I am only loyal to a brand as they are to me and my $$$. It's all about value for us and we are more than willing to pay for the experience. We are very interested in NCL at this point and will give it a shot even though it will most likely be the bland eastern route.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You should try Celebrity. Although we are D+ in RCCl we have been cruising with Celebrity and we are having a hard time justifying going back to Royal. We just finished a RCCl cruise on an Owners Suite and kept comparing our suite experience with our Celebrity cruise last summer. We still booked two cruises on board, one with Celebrity this summer and the Oasis next winter. We booked a Crown Loft Suite on the Oasis because we wanted to try CK and the new lounges.

I just hope that Michael Bayley takes RCCL on the right track as he did IMHO with Celebrity. While Royal is taking benefits away from suite guests, Celebrity is improving those. In Celebrity you have a Butler + a never crowded concierge lounge (just for suite an Zenith members). You can go to the lounge any time and get premium water and sodas, something my children loved to do. After April suite guests will have a suite dining room and upper suites will have unlimited internet service, free laundry, premium beverage packages and free specialty restaurants.

As a loyal Royal cruiser you will get reciprocity on the Captains Club. For us it was nice being an Elite member on our first Celebrity cruise.

Hope you give Celebrity a try, we are in our late 40's and even our children asked us to book our next cruise with them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would agree with you that the benes. with the Haven is superior to suite benes. on the Freedom!

But the NCL Haven and the MSC Yacht Club have basically the same benes., both ships are out of Miami, same size ship, both almost new ships, and the MSC Yacht Club on the Divina is about $1100. less per person then the NCL Haven! $2200. a week is a lot of money for basically the same cruise/service!

Thanks American Bear.

I do feel that it is probably very much the same cruises you've compared on a basic cruise but no where near the same in suite. The extra money, is money well spent I think as today I will probably firm up the Breakaway cruise and be able to compare with experience.

I've done a lot of research since this NCL promo came out so now is the time. I don't cruise for C&A-I cruise for that day and experience and NCL is going to give me a far better experience for the money right now.

Celebrity is just not wowing me with on board experiences. I admit- free fall, ropes and slides are looking fun and then at the end of the day a retreat to the Haven seems to fit us right now.

I'm sure I'll get slammed right now but the suite experience with an overcrowded lounge that people tell me 'but it clears out after first seating' is starting to get old. Luckily I do have the vouchers now and love this but what of those who travel with us who do not.? That's just a small part of where Royal is slipping with suite amenities. I'm going to sit back and see where they go as far as Oasis, CK and fleet wide while I hope to experience NCL and see where my money is best spent for the vacation I take in the here and now and not vacation to climb some loyalty ladder.

I agree with you on this. We are early 40s and late 30s and will be diamond+ in 6 more cruises. Honestly I can care less about any loyalty program benefits. We cruise in suites for the perks that we receive today, not 5,10 or 20 cruises from now. We started with Princess as well. At this point we have a few cruises booked over the next year with RC and am only loyal for the kids program/flowrider. I am only loyal to a brand as they are to me and my $$$. It's all about value for us and we are more than willing to pay for the experience. We are very interested in NCL at this point and will give it a shot even though it will most likely be the bland eastern route.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You sound like you are exactly where we are in cruising. I think we will try NCL for Alaska or out of NYC espically if Anthem has the same success as Quantum.

You should try Celebrity.

Knowing Andrew, and having recently tried Celebrity ourselves, I respectfully disagree for the reasons Debde state below:

Celebrity is just not wowing me with on board experiences. I admit- free fall, ropes and slides are looking fun and then at the end of the day a retreat to the Haven seems to fit us right now.

There's were some nice aspects of Celebrity, particularly the Blu restaurant which was FABULOUS, but we were thoroughly bored on the Silhouette. The entertainment was second or third rate, there are no water sports or other amusements on the top deck (the lawn didn't do anything for us), and the atmosphere was just staid... Not the fun atmosphere we experienced on RCI and NCL. Just my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You should try Celebrity. Although we are D+ in RCCl we have been cruising with Celebrity and we are having a hard time justifying going back to Royal. We just finished a RCCl cruise on an Owners Suite and kept comparing our suite experience with our Celebrity cruise last summer. We still booked two cruises on board, one with Celebrity this summer and the Oasis next winter. We booked a Crown Loft Suite on the Oasis because we wanted to try CK and the new lounges.

I just hope that Michael Bayley takes RCCL on the right track as he did IMHO with Celebrity. While Royal is taking benefits away from suite guests, Celebrity is improving those. In Celebrity you have a Butler + a never crowded concierge lounge (just for suite an Zenith members). You can go to the lounge any time and get premium water and sodas, something my children loved to do. After April suite guests will have a suite dining room and upper suites will have unlimited internet service, free laundry, premium beverage packages and free specialty restaurants.

As a loyal Royal cruiser you will get reciprocity on the Captains Club. For us it was nice being an Elite member on our first Celebrity cruise.

Hope you give Celebrity a try, we are in our late 40's and even our children asked us to book our next cruise with them.

Now those sound like suite benefits. Some of them are just like Princess's. Hopefully Mr Bayley will do some better suite branding as well as work on the loyalty programs for those who are their bread and butter.

Celeberty, NCL and even Disney are all in the running for Alaska for us in 2016. Espically as we want a round trip out of Vancouver, which RC does not currently offer.

Knowing Andrew, and having recently tried Celebrity ourselves, I respectfully disagree for the reasons Debde state below:

There's were some nice aspects of Celebrity, particularly the Blu restaurant which was FABULOUS, but we were thoroughly bored on the Silhouette. The entertainment was second or third rate, there are no water sports or other amusements on the top deck (the lawn didn't do anything for us), and the atmosphere was just staid... Not the fun atmosphere we experienced on RCI and NCL. Just my $.02.

We take many things into consideration when we choose our cruises. Itinerary, food quality, suite perks, entertainment & overall experience.

For example; we chose twice NCL for our cruises to Alaska. We liked the suite perks, sailing from Seattle and knew that there were going to be more families onboard than other cruise lines. We also knew that we were not going to be wowed by their food and booked specialty restaurants almost every night and regretted going to the MDR the nights we didn't have plans. We liked breakfast and lunch @ Cagneys and having a butler and a concierge. The only problem was that we were cruising with friends on regular cabins and they were not really happy. I only recommend NCL if you can pay a suite.

I know that RCCL offers flow riders, zip lines and great entertainment. But again, for us, is about the overall experience. We prefer Celebrity's food in MDR and their specialty restaurants, suite perks & itineraries in Europe. We have only cruise with Celebrity in Europe during high season. Last July on the Reflection we had a great mixture of nationalities onboard and had the best time. But keep in mind that we cruise during high season and there were many, many families onboard. My teenage children made so many friends that they didn't need the flowrider or climbing walls. One night there was a deck party and all the teenagers joined us and danced the Wobble. :)

We are still loyal to Royal and I'm looking forward to cruise on the Oasis, try Costal Kitchen and the new Suite Lounge. But, I do think that Royal is losing the suite amenities race. While Royal's sister company is improving their suite experience, RCCL is falling behind IMHO.

I found this video of the Wobble on another Celebrity cruise...

Love the pier wobble!!!

It also occurred to me after I posted earlier that the water sports and related amusements would not be nearly as big of a draw in Alaska. Definitely more of a consideration for a Caribbean sailing.

Love the pier wobble!!!

It also occurred to me after I posted earlier that the water sports and related amusements would not be nearly as big of a draw in Alaska. Definitely more of a consideration for a Caribbean sailing.

While RCCL is already scaling back Costal Kitchen, take a look at Celebrity's new suites only dining room venue. What I like is that every ship will have their own menu featuring local and seasonal ingredients...

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12141-celebrity-shows-off-new-suite-only-dining-venue-luminae.html

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-luminae?sf7028121=1

While RCCL is already scaling back Costal Kitchen, take a look at Celebrity's new suites only dining room venue. What I like is that every ship will have their own menu featuring local and seasonal ingredients...

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12141-celebrity-shows-off-new-suite-only-dining-venue-luminae.html

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-luminae?sf7028121=1

Very impressive! I had a wonderful experience in Celebrity's BLU, so I'm sure this new suite class restaurant will also deliver.

Very impressive! I had a wonderful experience in Celebrity's BLU, so I'm sure this new suite class restaurant will also deliver.

Very impressive for sure.

Not so sure they are scaling it back. It may be a case of "let's throw something in temporarily until it is up and running correctly".

I'm with you and Debde. I recently completed a cruise on Solstice, and while I had a good time and enjoyed the ship and trip, I missed the abundant activities on RCI's larger ships. I like climbing a rock, or skating, or surfing, or golfing, etc.

I will continue to consider Celebrity for future cruises, but probably only for some exciting port-intensive cruise or for one where I expect to do nothing but chill.

What Captain's Club benefits did you use? Other than a few free drinks before dinner, I really don't see any benefit. If you are already in a suite you are already getting many more benefits. I'll suggest than many of us our really getting very little for our loyalty.

What Captain's Club benefits did you use? Other than a few free drinks before dinner, I really don't see any benefit. If you are already in a suite you are already getting many more benefits. I'll suggest then many of us our really getting very little for our loyalty.

The red text above is why we will be looking in different directions.

We are not big drinkers. From our Diamond coupons last cruise we might have used 1 of them each over the entire cruise for a free drink. As a suite cruiser to have lost the ability to have free drinks from 12-5 everyday in the suite lounge on Oasis seems absurd. They ran that program for about 2 months.

They have guests staying in suites paying anywhere from $3,000 for double occupancy up to $25,000 for double occupancy, and those prices can vary. RC had to back out of the free booze as they are losing too much? They most likely weren't serving top shelf quality, and buying in bulk so why enhance their suite/pinnacle program at all just to axe it? The loss of free drinks doesn't bother me as we don't consume them, but when might they stop serving meals in the Costal Kitchen? Once they realize they are spending to much for extra staff salaries or on food? That week in November was the busiest I had seen the old VCL in years throughout the entire cruise.

Just as the Diamond and Plus members are getting shuffled around Oasis, and the Pinnacles finding it near impossible to use their "free" sailings with all the conditions and terms, there are suite cruisers that are wondering "why" as well. Truly a first world problem. As a once loyal RC suite cruiser and soon to be D+ member, I will repeat what I have stated before in this thread. Future suite bookings for us will be made by looking at all ships and lines across the lines. The best loyalty is to oneself. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed every cruise we have had with RC, they offer a product that our family loves.

Dz9yvr if I remeber correctly you said on a recent thread to another CC member, "I might see you on Princess". Chances are good that you could see me there too. There could also be a few Diamond and Ples members joining us. :)

Edit: dz9yver, better yet, I might see you in March as I see you are on the sailing as us. Maybe in the Diamond lounge, if we can locate it. Rumour on the boards is it is moving again. :D

Edited by A&L_Ont

Well, it became official yesterday. As I stated earlier, with this suite promo NCL has it was time to give it a try. At least I will be able to give a real experienced comparison. Just have to wait a while!:(

This promo came at the right time as I had booked all land based this year as I was waiting to see what direction Royal would go. Actually, the family is off to Atlantis in a few days-looking forward to that!!

Since the day I have started traveling, I've never stuck to one thing or experience just for returning perks. I don't choose to list all land based resorts on my sig. I've taken every vacation as it as an experience and place I want to do or go. I've always wondered why so many just keep cruising to get to the next level and for many here-it is all about 'the lounges'. To each his own and would never belittle someone for their personal enjoyment but for one time suite guests who are willing to pay for certain experiences, Royal, enough already. Seems you were thinking along the correct lines with Oasis but now, I'll sit back some more and wait until you figure your direction or implement what your plan is on fleet wide suite improvements. The older ships really need your attention here also IMHO.

We really have been thinking about a larger family vacation and have been looking at the Indy and the Presidential suite. For that money, my Mom should get a seat in the lounge!!! :p

Edited by Debde