fire onboard Insignia

LHT28

If it is such a "modest claim", why all the fuss?:rolleyes:

IMHO, I am truly embarrassed for you and others moaning on here about their lost/Delayed luggage, flight issues, "misplaced swimming costume" being stuffed in a toilet bag .... Really??? Taking an inventory of your stuff .... I doubt I would even remember what I had packed! Yes, I would be disappointed if I lost my "cruise wardrobe" but much more importantly, I would be extremely grateful I was alive and I could go buy another one! Out of my own pocket!

The big picture is three people lost their lives. Nothing more to say.

IMHO, I am truly embarrassed for you and others moaning on here about their lost/Delayed luggage, flight issues, "misplaced swimming costume" being stuffed in a toilet bag .... Really??? Taking an inventory of your stuff .... I doubt I would even remember what I had packed! Yes, I would be disappointed if I lost my "cruise wardrobe" but much more importantly, I would be extremely grateful I was alive and I could go buy another one! Out of my own pocket!

I took a much more positive view of the swimming costume story. First news was "all that seems to be missing is a swimsuit". Follow up was "oops, I've found it, it was in a funny place".

No amount of hand wringing is going to bring those three people back. We can offer our condolences but I doubt that their loved ones will even hear of that, though it might make us feel better.

As an O cruiser I am interested in the way the line is coping with getting people's belongings back to them in the aftermath of this disaster - I think they are doing a amazing job actually. If it was my cruise wardrobe I'd be willing to wait months for it as Caribbean attire is not vital in the UK right now, and if had all been lost at sea I'd cope, but people are getting the contents of their staterooms back and I'm interested in their stories. Readers have learned a lot from the posters who were on board Insignia on the fateful cruise.

As I already said, I am only too well aware aware of the big picture.

Now we are home we are having to deal with the financials which some of us have to do. Obviously your bank account is a LOT bigger than mine!

Nothing further to say either!

I took a much more positive view of the swimming costume story. First news was "all that seems to be missing is a swimsuit". Follow up was "oops, I've found it, it was in a funny place".

No amount of hand wringing is going to bring those three people back. We can offer our condolences but I doubt that their loved ones will even hear of that, though it might make us feel better.

As an O cruiser I am interested in the way the line is coping with getting people's belongings back to them in the aftermath of this disaster - I think they are doing a amazing job actually. If it was my cruise wardrobe I'd be willing to wait months for it as Caribbean attire is not vital in the UK right now, and if had all been lost at sea I'd cope, but people are getting the contents of their staterooms back and I'm interested in their stories. Readers have learned a lot from the posters who were on board Insignia on the fateful cruise.

Thank you! Actually I feel the same that the cruise wear is not at all important and can be replaced. Don't forget all the other important things likely to be included such as spectacles, contact lenses, address book, asthma inhaler, phone chargers and other personal effects that take some time to replace (at least they do in the UK). When you next cruise make sure you put all the important things in one place, preferably in or at least near the safe even if they are not valuables as such.

Oceania did an amazing job considering the situation and most people behaved with humour and good grace.

We received a message today through Oceania UK which says we have to claim for expenses for purchase of clothes and toiletries from our insurance and we have to prove we have done so and we have to send a copy of their refusal! Not only is our excess on the policy more than We spent, it means the insurance company will charge us more next time we travel and they may refuse it altogether.

In our opinion, Oceania had possession of our clothes etc which meant we had to go and buy some essentials, so obviously they should meet our very modest claim.

We are not likely to see our luggage until the New Year and we have tried very hard to see the 'big picture' and keep a sense of humour but for Oceania to nit pik over such a small claim is quite annoying to say the least.

I can vouch that an NCL representative said to write a letter to O guest relations for reimbursement of the cold weather items needed to get back and it would most likely be approved. Nothing was said about going through insurance first. Personally, we are only taking the insurance route because it seems quickest and it is through a credit card that can't raise rates on us. When I see how involved the claim form is, it will determine whether we continue in that direction.

9.30 am today received one small bag (first of our luggage). The packing slip and tracking number was generated by Luggage Free. The slip says 4 of 6 which FedEx cannot explain. FedEx say they have only received this one small package which actually includes items which were on the cabin desk. They have not received anything else for delivery.

2nd Item. Today my credit card was credited with the cost of the cruise less my $750 deposit. The deposit is probably being processed separately. I will be talking with my TA.

Just providing the above as information for those still awaiting luggage and wondering when the refund will be credited.

9.30 am today received one small bag (first of our luggage). The packing slip and tracking number was generated by Luggage Free. The slip says 4 of 6 which FedEx cannot explain. FedEx say they have only received this one small package which actually includes items which were on the cabin desk. They have not received anything else for delivery.

2nd Item. Today my credit card was credited with the cost of the cruise less my $750 deposit. The deposit is probably being processed separately. I will be talking with my TA.

Just providing the above as information for those still awaiting luggage and wondering when the refund will be credited.

How confusing, I hope you manage to get it sorted.

We really appreciate your posts, it helps us all know what to expect! good or bad!

Sorry to hear about the luggage Globevest. Yes, thank you for the update.

Upon reading your message I checked my credit card which had the deposit and an upgrade fee charge. Both were credited with an effective date of 12-19. I'll have DH check the other card, which had the balance charge.

And then I assume you have to arrange with the CC company to get your money back? I for one wouldn't want or need a multi-thousand dollar credit on my card, I'd want the cash.

Globevest,

Have you spoken to anyone at Luggage Free? I'm sure they can help clear up the issue.

Peggy

Peggy I have just got off the phone with Luggage Free. Their number is 1-800-361-6871. They were quite helpful and were able to identify us once I mentioned Insignia. The story is still confused and expected to clear somewhat this afternoon when I am to call back. They advise there was a luggage problem in St. Lucia and some luggage was shipped direct from there and my one bag must have been in the direct shipment.

Then there was a "direct bulk" shipment to New York to facilitate 'easier/smoother' customs clearance. They believe our 3 other bags (guess) could be in the NY bulk shipment which are currently being handed over to FedEx this morning. Tracking numbers are being generated now and hopefully they should have them when I call back in a couple of hours. Again "hopefully" delivery to us should be tomorrow or Christmas eve.

And then I assume you have to arrange with the CC company to get your money back? I for one wouldn't want or need a multi-thousand dollar credit on my card, I'd want the cash.

I can't speak for Canadian Credit Card companies, although I would suspect they operate the same. In the US, if you have a credit balance on your credit card, you can request a check sent to you (or wired). They typically verify the source of the credit and then release the payment fairly quickly. If you have a balance, then it would go against that amount.

Wendy....I am OK! with the credit on my card as I made the final payment in Nov 2014, on the same card, for a Feb 2015 cruise (wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary). Now I don't have to take out a second mortgage on the house to clear the card due in early Jan 2015...phew!....lol.

Wendy....I am OK! with the credit on my card as I made the final payment in Nov 2014, on the same card, for a Feb 2015 cruise (wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary). Now I don't have to take out a second mortgage on the house to clear the card due in early Jan 2015...phew!....lol.

Oh, that's a nice bit of serendipity! (Canadian cards? Visa, Mastercard, Amex? All the same.)

We were aboard the Crown Princess who was docked in Bergen Norway Sept 2009. The ship was bunkering fuel when a fire broke out in the engine room. Anouncements went over the PA into the cabins that this was not a drill. The crew was mustered but then the fire was put out and there was a stand down of the crew muster. The passengers were never mustered.

Yes to both,

30 March 2012 - A fire broke out in the engine room of the Azamara Quest. Power was temporary lost but restored the next day and the ship returned to port under its own power. The ship was out of service until 24 April 2012.

November 2011 - A generator on Ocean Princess caught fire with minor damage. The ship continued on its own power. Currently, the Ocean Princess is reported as being sold to Oceania for delivery in 2016.

Also,

18 June 2009 - Royal Princess experienced and engine room fire and was out of service until 09 July 2009.

There are 5 - 10 fires reported on cruise ships each year. There is a more complete list of ship fires at http://www.cruisejunkie.com/fires.html. Might need to pack a fire extinguisher.

r/Don Greenlee

For those who paid for their cruise using a credit card which is billed in a currency other than US$, here are a couple of things to be aware of.

First, you would have been charged based on a currency exchange rate on the day you made the payment. Your refund will be subject to a currency exchange rate effective on the day the refund is posted. Depending on whether your currency gained or lost against the US$, you may come out ahead of the game or you may loose a few %. Canadians have probably gained.

In addition to the 2 or 3% commission the CC company charges on currency exchanges, you may also be out the spread between their buying rate on the day of purchase and their selling rate on the day of the refund. Again, this will amount to a few %.

Once it all shakes out, you may end up losing a few % unless O is willing to make adjustments.

For those who paid for their cruise using a credit card which is billed in a currency other than US$, here are a couple of things to be aware of.

First, you would have been charged based on a currency exchange rate on the day you made the payment. Your refund will be subject to a currency exchange rate effective on the day the refund is posted. Depending on whether your currency gained or lost against the US$, you may come out ahead of the game or you may loose a few %. Canadians have probably gained.

I just use a USD Visa card so would break even ;)

Maybe other Canadians do the same