fire onboard Insignia

LHT28

Oceania has already announced that the remainder of the cruise where the incident happened, as well as the one immediately following it, have been cancelled.

What that means is that the next scheduled departure, as of my writing this, is the 180 day World Cruise, which is was supposed to sail from Miami at 5PM on January 10, 2015.

At present, Insignia is being towed, very slowly, by the salvage rescue vessel Abeille Liberte to Puerto Rico, where the damage will be fully assessed.

f_etv_ut515_abeille_liberte.png

Given this situation, it is my opinion that the World Cruise Passengers will be informed first of the Insignia's next sailing date.

As of a few minutes ago Abeille Liberte was moored in Cherbourg France so I wonder who/what's towing Insignia

Windowshopper, I read through your message again and just had a few more comments.

Flight 5 was basically full, except for the seats that would be premium economy. They told us to sit behind those rows (perhaps so that we were all equal). My guess is if they tried filling those with a few of your flight's group it would have screwed up the manifest for our flight number (that's just a SWAG). So, there would have been two flights sitting on the tarmac for hours.

As for the lost/delayed luggage claim with insurance - usually it's common air carriers and you report to the airline and get a claim as standard procedure. In this case, it was so far out of the norm, I don't hold out much hope that the insurance company pencil pushers could get their heads around it, without the claim receipt they are used to seeing.

We had to pick up more warm weather clothes items to finish our trip in Miami because of the delayed luggage. We kept it very cheap (thankfully, Miami is pretty casual). Getting reimbursement from O for those items will be more of an issue, but, I will give it a try. LOL! I lived in a couple pair of $5 workout capri's, Miami Beach t shirts and a long sleeve sale Banana Republic tunic (for dressy dinners) for our time in Miami.

Windowshopper, I read through your message again and just had a few more comments.

Flight 5 was basically full, except for the seats that would be premium economy. They told us to sit behind those rows (perhaps so that we were all equal). My guess is if they tried filling those with a few of your flight's group it would have screwed up the manifest for our flight number (that's just a SWAG). So, there would have been two flights sitting on the tarmac for hours.

As for the lost/delayed luggage claim with insurance - usually it's common air carriers and you report to the airline and get a claim as standard procedure. In this case, it was so far out of the norm, I don't hold out much hope that the insurance company pencil pushers could get their heads around it, without the claim receipt they are used to seeing.

We had to pick up more warm weather clothes items to finish our trip in Miami because of the delayed luggage. We kept it very cheap (thankfully, Miami is pretty casual). Getting reimbursement from O for those items will be more of an issue, but, I will give it a try. LOL! I lived in a couple pair of $5 workout capri's, Miami Beach t shirts and a long sleeve sale Banana Republic tunic (for dressy dinners) for our time in Miami.

Hi 'buggins' Hope you enjoyed your stay at the Mondrian as much as we did. We did feel like the "country cousins" in our cheap as chips attire but I think the hotel staff felt sorry for us!

Thanks a lot for the updates you have been posting - they have been so useful. Our TA has been rubbish from start to end although their Miami branch were brilliant whilst we were there.

It looks like we will not get our luggage until the New Year. We contacted Oceania UK about claiming for the essentials, but they told us they are waiting for a decision at Director level. I will post when I hear anything.

We only met for a short time but I hope you enjoyed your Pizza lunch!

Hi 'buggins' Hope you enjoyed your stay at the Mondrian as much as we did. We did feel like the "country cousins" in our cheap as chips attire but I think the hotel staff felt sorry for us!

Thanks a lot for the updates you have been posting - they have been so useful. Our TA has been rubbish from start to end although their Miami branch were brilliant whilst we were there.

It looks like we will not get our luggage until the New Year. We contacted Oceania UK about claiming for the essentials, but they told us they are waiting for a decision at Director level. I will post when I hear anything.

We only met for a short time but I hope you enjoyed your Pizza lunch!

So happy to hear you home safe and sound. Yes, the group at the Mondrian did treat us very nicely, even though we looked like we fell off the turnip truck.

Our wonderful cruz TA has been unlimited;) in her assistance. She asked me to copy her on my letter to Guest Relations.

MIA swimsuit has just been found....in my toiletry bag that I just got around to opening:confused::confused: :). When your luggage does arrive, it will be difficult to take an inventory of things, because it's just kind of jumbled wherever...but that's understandable given the circumstances.

Edited by buggins0402

MIA swimsuit has just been found....in my toiletry bag that I just got around to opening:confused::confused: :). When your luggage does arrive, it will be difficult to take an inventory of things, because it's just kind of jumbled wherever...but that's understandable given the circumstances.

Probably a male packed your bag :D

If I left the packing to DH that is what it would be like

Lyn

April Insurance...recommended by Online Vacation Center, whom we booked through...

I am about to go on the Azamara with April Insurance. I just read the policy and it says notify them as soon reasonably possible. I do not understand why they won't accept your claim

Last year on the Oceania we had a medical claim, when we got home (which was 2 weeks later) we notified "Travel Insured" and the claim was paid right away.

Did I choose the wrong Travel insurance company. I am very concered.

Well buggins, I can go along with jumbled luggage as long as it is all there!! When we left the UK it was cold so we had Winter jackets etc.. Our cases were crammed full without those items so they really will have to be expert packers to get it all back to us!

I checked our luggage delay under the Chase credit card. Common Carriers do include sea vessels. It is $100 per day up to three days (United Card, Sapphire may have different benefits.

I'll probably try this route first for reimbursement. They had no issue starting the claim process. :)

My friends got their luggage minus a wedding band and a few other items.

They should send a list of the missing items to Oceania via their TA if they used one

Or call the hotline & ask where they should send the list

Maybe the things were overlooked in the rush to get cabins packed up

They should send a list of the missing items to Oceania via their TA if they used one

Or call the hotline & ask where they should send the list

Maybe the things were overlooked in the rush to get cabins packed up

It's all getting handled. Hopefully with satisfaction

It's all getting handled. Hopefully with satisfaction

Sounds like you are on the right track...

Our luggage came back a bit wuzzled...to put it mildly. They should check every nook and cranny. My missing swimsuit was in a toiletry bag inside a briefcase.

Did they not put the ring in the safe? Also have them check lost and late luggage benefits on their insurance or credit card benefits. I did a quick check, besides Chase, Wells Fargo and perhaps Citi have luggage benefits.

Sounds like you are on the right track...

Our luggage came back a bit wuzzled...to put it mildly. They should check every nook and cranny. My missing swimsuit was in a toiletry bag inside a briefcase.

Did they not put the ring in the safe? Also have them check lost and late luggage benefits on their insurance or credit card benefits. I did a quick check, besides Chase, Wells Fargo and perhaps Citi have luggage benefits.

They got everything from the safe. The ring was on the dresser. They didn't take the insurance bummer

They got everything from the safe. The ring was on the dresser. They didn't take the insurance bummer

do they have contents insurance on their home ?

If the ring does not turn up they can probably claim on home insurance

I'll talk to them tomorrow. Depends on their deductible.

My other friends that went with them, their luggage hasn't arrived yet

Depends on the deductible and the value of the ring.

I know in California, if you make a claim on your house insurance (no matter the value of the claim), your next year's premium may double or worse - you can get cancelled.

It happened to me with a claim on camera ($1,000) - even though I retracted the claim because of this; I was still "punished". Now I would only claim for major disasters.

We received a message today through Oceania UK which says we have to claim for expenses for purchase of clothes and toiletries from our insurance and we have to prove we have done so and we have to send a copy of their refusal! Not only is our excess on the policy more than We spent, it means the insurance company will charge us more next time we travel and they may refuse it altogether.

In our opinion, Oceania had possession of our clothes etc which meant we had to go and buy some essentials, so obviously they should meet our very modest claim.

We are not likely to see our luggage until the New Year and we have tried very hard to see the 'big picture' and keep a sense of humour but for Oceania to nit pik over such a small claim is quite annoying to say the least.