fire onboard Insignia

LHT28

You are correct in the Chaos parts but the newer ships are more resistant to to these types of incidents and are better designed to handle such a fire. Allure has had an engine room fire in 2012 but has a High Fog extinguishing system which quickly extinguished this.

We will never know what really happened but from my Engineer's point of view -- was there a similar cause of that from Azmara Quest's fire? I hope the NTSB will look at that.

When was Azamara Quest's fire I know about the propeller problem last year but not the fire

When was Azamara Quest's fire I know about the propeller problem last year but not the fire

We recently cruised on the Quest and I noticed a drawer in the night table labeled "Medicines" or "Medications".

In retrospect, I have no doubt that this was done after their fire and the problems with retrieving medications from the ship.

Perhaps other ships may follow this example?

We recently cruised on the Quest and I noticed a drawer in the night table labeled "Medicines" or "Medications".

In retrospect, I have no doubt that this was done after their fire and the problems with retrieving medications from the ship.

Perhaps other ships may follow this example?

That's a fantastic idea. I hope Oceania will do something similar.

There was a local story in NY alleging that some of the crew ran off the ship before the guests were evacuated. If true this is disturbing.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/15/long-island-couple-recounts-fatal-fire-on-oceania-insignia/

I hope some of you who were actually there could comment on these other guest's account.

More than likely, if they were sitting in the MDR and saw cooks and crew hustling out... the staff were on their way to their respective emergency assignments, as they so often drill for.

Yes, this exactly..... They reported to their stations!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just checked the Oceania website and see no cruises listed for Insignia before the WC on January 10th. Not sure what the schedule was before, don't even know how long the Dec. 17th cruise was supposed to be, but presumably they have cancelled one more cruise after that.

I just checked the Oceania website and see no cruises listed for Insignia before the WC on January 10th. Not sure what the schedule was before, don't even know how long the Dec. 17th cruise was supposed to be, but presumably they have cancelled one more cruise after that.

Dec 17th cruise was 24 days I believe ending Jan 10th

More than likely, if they were sitting in the MDR and saw cooks and crew hustling out... the staff were on their way to their respective emergency assignments, as they so often drill for.

+1, exactly my thought. First Bravo, looked out into hall and saw housekeeping going into drill mode.

The only way out was the same exit we used as passengers. They could have gone down a crew stairway....but the only way off was through the usual gates, so that story is debunked.

The actual muster...which took place after the second fire, crew was in full drill mode. Knocking on doors, sending people to the stations, with crew holding the boat numbers at the assigned muster stations.They took a cabin census, but soon realized that it didn't make sense, half the people were already off the ship. So they made announcement for the people holding the numbers to go to the dock. Then they told us to calmly exit the ship, taking cabin numbers At the exit. We stood at our muster number at the dock for a while...until we asked if we could go downtown.

I think reporting to muster stations was a good idea....rather than letting people make a mad dash for the exit. It was just an unusual muster with the ship being in port.

Just got an update from our TA. Parts have arrived in St. Lucia for repairs to the damaged engine room. Insignia will be repaired in port and sailed back to Miami. Also, no smoke damage. Looks like it will be a go for our world cruise. Still, I am deeply saddened by the tragic deaths.

Just posted by the St. Lucia News Online:

"The cruise vessel, Insignia, which has been docked at Port Castries for close to six days, after a fire broke out in the engine room and as a result took three lives, will be leaving St. Lucia tomorrow.

Reports are that the vessel will be towed to Puerto Rico tomorrow, to facilitate repairs. Two South Korean contractors and a Filipino crew member were those that died in the inferno.

Post mortem examinations are scheduled to be done sometime this week, after which the bodies will be flow back home.

An investigation is being led by the Marshall Islands, where the ship is registered, and the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board has sent officials there to help."

Edited by kiawahdon

[QUOTE=RJB;44991389]From most accounts the crew did a wonderful job. Hat's off to them.

Lets just hope that they get some sort of recognition especially those who worked closely with the deceased & injured. I know from personal contact with 1 of those crew that they are suffering now but trying to put on a brave face as they carry on working on one of the other ships from 2 days after the fire. His words to me at 3am (Aust time this morning) were "Rhonda, I don't think I will ever get over this. But I have to carry on for my children's future". His eldest daughter starts University studies on Jan 5 next year to study Medicine. So if he does not battle on she will not be able to fulfil their dream of a bright future.

So, I for one do hope they get some help & recognition. Friends & family (in many cases - thousands of miles away) can only help so much. They need someone to talk to NOW. If it was not so close to Christmas and had I not just got home from cruising on Insignia (Dec 3) I would be over there now just to be there in case they wanted to talk.

Thank you also to my CC/FB friends who sent messages for him through me and also to many crew who are either on vacation or currently on one of the other ships and did not know how to contact him except through me - thank you also. He was blown away when I told who and how many people had contacted me to pass on their concerns/love/best wishes etc. I have printed off all those emails/CC threads/photo's which show him helping other injured crew including performing CPR to give him when I see him next.

Rhonda I agree they should be getting some counselling NOW

They need some compassion also ...

even trained first responders get support after an incident

Hope the cruise line steps up for them also

Send him our prayers also

Lyn

Some history on Cruise Ship fires:

23 March 2006 - A fire broke out on a passenger cabin balcony on the Star Princess. The investigation, lead by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch of the United Kingdom Department of Transport, concluded that a discarded cigarette was the probable cause of ignition. The ship returned to port under its own power. There were no injuries. The ship was out of service until 15 May 2006.

08 November 2010 - The Carnival Splendor experienced and engine causality that ignited a fire in engine room. The US Coast Guard investigation, conducted on the behalf of the Flag State Panama, concluded human error, training issues and material conditions on the vessel aggravated the incident. The vessel was towed to port. There were no injuries. Carnival canceled the next eight (one week) cruises.

27 February 2012 - The Costa Allegra experienced an engine room fire that resulted in a full loss of propulsion capability. The ship was towed to port and subsequently sold and scraped without ever returning to service.

10 February 2013 - The Carnival Triumph suffered complete loss of power as a result of an engine room fire that was automatically extinguished without injury. The ship was towed to port and was out of service until 03 June 2013.

27 May 2013 - A fire started in the aft mooring area of the RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. The ship never lost power and returned to port under its own power. There were no injuries. The investigation, conducted by the Bahamas Maritime Authority, did not conclusively identify the source of ignition but recommend review and revision of smoking policies. The ship was out of service for the next six (one week) cruises and there were considerable public areas and cabins closed due to ongoing repairs when the ship returned to service.

11 December 2014 - we all know that story.

r/Don Greenlee

Some history on Cruise Ship fires:

23 March 2006 - A fire broke out on a passenger cabin balcony on the Star Princess. The investigation, lead by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch of the United Kingdom Department of Transport, concluded that a discarded cigarette was the probable cause of ignition. The ship returned to port under its own power. There were no injuries. The ship was out of service until 15 May 2006.

08 November 2010 - The Carnival Splendor experienced and engine causality that ignited a fire in engine room. The US Coast Guard investigation, conducted on the behalf of the Flag State Panama, concluded human error, training issues and material conditions on the vessel aggravated the incident. The vessel was towed to port. There were no injuries. Carnival canceled the next eight (one week) cruises.

27 February 2012 - The Costa Allegra experienced an engine room fire that resulted in a full loss of propulsion capability. The ship was towed to port and subsequently sold and scraped without ever returning to service.

10 February 2013 - The Carnival Triumph suffered complete loss of power as a result of an engine room fire that was automatically extinguished without injury. The ship was towed to port and was out of service until 03 June 2013.

27 May 2013 - A fire started in the aft mooring area of the RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. The ship never lost power and returned to port under its own power. There were no injuries. The investigation, conducted by the Bahamas Maritime Authority, did not conclusively identify the source of ignition but recommend review and revision of smoking policies. The ship was out of service for the next six (one week) cruises and there were considerable public areas and cabins closed due to ongoing repairs when the ship returned to service.

11 December 2014 - we all know that story.

r/Don Greenlee

Wasn't there also a fire on Azamara's Quest and a Princess R ship (Ocean?)