fire onboard Insignia

LHT28

I just use a USD Visa card so would break even ;)

Maybe other Canadians do the same

I do the same, but I expect many don't. Even if you do, you will still have to absorb any change in exchange rate between when you bought the US$ to pay the bill and when you received the refund and convert it back to C$. (Or you can just leave it on the account and use it later, I suppose.)

I do the same, but I expect many don't. Even if you do, you will still have to absorb any change in exchange rate between when you bought the US$ to pay the bill and when you received the refund and convert it back to C$. (Or you can just leave it on the account and use it later, I suppose.)

It does not take me long to spend the USD on another trip ;)

I emailed Oceania Customer Service yesterday regarding donations for the workers who were killed as well as the workers onboard who may have lost belongings. This is the reply I received.

Dear Mrs. Skelton,

Thank you for contacting the Special Services desk at Oceania Cruises.

We appreciate such a wonderful and thoughtful gesture. Unfortunately we have not set up any type of account, however if you wish to send something into our main office our Administrator will be happy and make sure they all receive it.

Please send this to the following address:

Oceania Cruises/Prestige Cruise Holdings Corporate Office

8300 NW 33rd Street, Suite #100

Miami, Florida 33122

Attn: Fiona Applebaum

Director, Corporate Operations

Please make sure to include a letter advising Mrs. Applebaum of the donation you are sending.

Thank you for your generosity and we hope you have a wonderful Holiday and Happy New Year!

Best Regards,

Dianne Blazquez

Special Services Coordinator

Oceania Cruises, Inc.

jazcat,

Thank you! You were smart to send an email. I phoned O yesterday morning and was told a supervisor would return my call but hasn't yet.

I suggest you begin a separate post with the information you received from Dianne. Otherwise, I am afraid it will get lost in this very long thread.

I will mail my contribution today.

-Sukey-

jazcat,

Thank you! You were smart to send an email. I phoned O yesterday morning and was told a supervisor would return my call but hasn't yet.

I suggest you begin a separate post with the information you received from Dianne. Otherwise, I am afraid it will get lost in this very long thread.

I will mail my contribution today.

-Sukey-

Excellent idea Sukey, I will do that right now.

Each ship has its own crew welfare fund, but I think we'd like to see something more specific to the crew who were onboard on December 11th.

-Sukey-

Are you sure Oceania has them? Seems I've read here that Regent does but not Oceania. I could be wrong though.

We just got home from a trip on Europa2 from Hapag-Lloyd , the line that had the Insignia on lease for a few years. We were in St Lucia when this happened but at a different port. The crew told us about the problem and felt very bad. Sounds like Oceania did all they could to take care of all and did a great job. If this had to happen it is best it happened at the pier and not at sea or half way around the world on the upcoming world cruise.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Important Update for Insignia

Dear Insignia Guests,

We finished our initial repair assessment for Insignia and expect the ship will remain in San Juan for an estimated nine weeks to complete the required work. Because the time needed is longer than we anticipated, we regrettably must modify our Around the World cruise and cancel the first three segments of the voyage.

Three Grand Voyages aboard Insignia, the 126-day Miami to Sydney cruise on January 10, along with the 90-day Cape Town to Sydney and 128-day Cape Town to Los Angeles sailings on February 15, have also been altered. The modified Grand Voyages and Around the World cruise will now start in Singapore on March 22, 2015, with the ship scheduled to sail the remainder of the original itinerary.

...we regrettably must modify our Around the World cruise and cancel the first three segments of the voyage.

Now that surprises me. I'd have thought that they would have moved the 'Round the World cruise to another R class ship and cancelled that ship's voyages as necessary till Insignia was seaworthy.

Now that surprises me. I'd have thought that they would have moved the 'Round the World cruise to another R class ship and cancelled that ship's voyages as necessary till Insignia was seaworthy.

Unfortunately that could not be done..

Jancruz1

If they did that, then they would have another lot of passengers who would be very disappointed. At this time of the year, so many people travel and if they used, say the Regatta to do the RTW cruise, then you would be upsetting a huge number of passengers who have booked a very long cruise around South America plus other cruises that have been booked following the South America cruise.

It is terribly disappointing for those who have booked the RTW cruise, especially those who are on the entire trip. We have very dear friends who gave up a cruise with us earlier this year so that they could do the 180 days. I am not sure if they will now do what is left of the cruise. We were going to meet up with them in Hobart when the ship was there but I have a feeling they may cancel the cruise and book next year's.

Is Oceania, going to pay the airfare to Singapore for those who were booked on the 180 days and still want to continue? The airfare to Singapore is certainly a lot more expensive than a flight to Miami!

Jennie

If they did that, then they would have another lot of passengers who would be very disappointed. At this time of the year, so many people travel and if they used, say the Regatta to do the RTW cruise, then you would be upsetting a huge number of passengers who have booked a very long cruise around South America plus other cruises that have been booked following the South America cruise.

It is terribly disappointing for those who have booked the RTW cruise, especially those who are on the entire trip. We have very dear friends who gave up a cruise with us earlier this year so that they could do the 180 days. I am not sure if they will now do what is left of the cruise. We were going to meet up with them in Hobart when the ship was there but I have a feeling they may cancel the cruise and book next year's.

Is Oceania, going to pay the airfare to Singapore for those who were booked on the 180 days and still want to continue? The airfare to Singapore is certainly a lot more expensive than a flight to Miami!

Jennie

Checking now

Jancruz1

After our 'minor' cancellation I really feel so sorry for the people on the Insignia Round the World Cruise. About a year ago my wife and I were close to booking one of the two first segments of this cruise.

I would really like to know what major damage was done with the Insignia explosion to cause this amount of delay.

Ok am I missing something? Why is the WC now going to start in Singapore ??? The ship going to sail Empty from San Juan to Singapore???

I'm sure I have missed something pretty big because the distance from San Juan to Singapore is pretty big and why fly all those people across the world.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok am I missing something? Why is the WC now going to start in Singapore ??? The ship going to sail Empty from San Juan to Singapore???

I'm sure I have missed something pretty big because the distance from San Juan to Singapore is pretty big and why fly all those people across the world.....

nana541, they need to be back in Miami for the 2nd 2015 World Cruse on July 7 or so. The ship was originally scheduled to be in Singapore on Mar. 22 so all of the plans from that port back to Miami can go on as scheduled. Possibly they could start the cruise earlier but, not much after Cape Town and based on the 9 weeks in Dry Dock, Singapore appears to be the best choice of a starting point.

Yes, appears they will deadhead to Singapore at the end of the repairs but, if they started in Miami with cruisers, would not be much of a cruise with a direct shot to Singapore since the 9 weeks in dry dock ends about Feb 17 and sure they want to allow a buffer for delays in the repair.

Seems like a smart choice in order to salvage as much of the World cruise as possible and make the start in early of July for the next cruise. Sure they looked at logistics and flights to various ports where the world cruisers would start and looking at the route, none appear viable and none between Cape Town (too early) and Singapore are starting points for segments.

Hope this answers you question.

Oceania probably wants the crew to sort out any problems on the trip to Singapore. The ship will probably go through the Panama Canal to the Pacific Ocean and then head across the ocean to Singapore. It will probably take a couple of weeks so by then they should know if the ship is A1.

Jennie

Sure seems like a mighty long and empty cruise... ;)

Am guessing that they could offer a many many sea day cruise to Singapore but, with a repair lasting an estimated 9 weeks after an evaluation of only one day (ship arrived in San Juan only yesterday), it is likely that delays will occur so would be extremely difficult to schedule a firm date for departure for Singapore and there needs to be that extra time such that they are sure the cruise from Singapore will begin on schedule or much extra planning and changes doesn't occur and people can plan on their vacation.

No plan is perfect but, seems O has done their homework to recover from this unfortunate disaster. Sure O would like to receive the revenue for more days but, this conservative approach with perhaps the ship in Singapore early looks to be the best for all concerned.