Packing Jewellery?

trixiee

I bought a "cloth jewellery" holder that folds flat from Avon but I had a previous one that I bought years ago in Walmart I believe. It has long plastic pouches that you lie your necklaces in and they zip shut. Look around as there are a lot of different styles but they do work great!

I cut a file card in half. I wrap one necklace or chain around a 1/2 a card then store the card/necklace in a separate snack size zip lock bag. If there are matching earrings, I stick them in the same bag. I put the individual snack bags in a small jewelry pouch with a note that says in large letters :

"Dear Thief- Everything in this bag is from Walmart - is it worth it??" :D

Except for my wedding ring I don't carry valuable jewelry on vacations. I found some "reasonable facsimiles" in necklaces and earrings that are gold plated that I keep just for traveling. I wear a lot of hoop earrings so when I buy them, I get 2 matching pairs - that way if I lose one I still have a pair plus. :D

Edited by summersigh

I bought a "cloth jewellery" holder that folds flat from Avon but I had a previous one that I bought years ago in Walmart I believe. It has long plastic pouches that you lie your necklaces in and they zip shut. Look around as there are a lot of different styles but they do work great!

Same here.

If you are talking of thin chains, slip one end through a drinking straw and clasp the necklace. Cut straw if it is too long.

Another thing I do is NEVER put a jewelry case in my carryon. I use an old Vera Bradley bag that one would think is more a cosmetic case than jewelry. Or I use a small zip sort case that looks far more like a man's small toilet case. The point is I use something easily overlooked by a thief, something that would not catch their eye as 'interesting'.

If someone is trying to make a quick grab out of carryon, they are likely to grab the bag that looks like a pretty jewelry case. No one wants my cosmetics.

If you are talking of thin chains, slip one end through a drinking straw and clasp the necklace. Cut straw if it is too long.

Another thing I do is NEVER put a jewelry case in my carryon. I use an old Vera Bradley bag that one would think is more a cosmetic case than jewelry. Or I use a small zip sort case that looks far more like a man's small toilet case. The point is I use something easily overlooked by a thief, something that would not catch their eye as 'interesting'.

If someone is trying to make a quick grab out of carryon, they are likely to grab the bag that looks like a pretty jewelry case. No one wants my cosmetics.

I also put my chains/necklaces through half a drinking straw & carry my jewelry in my oversize purse..

Similar to the hand towel idea above, I lay my necklaces flat across a jewelry cleaning cloth and roll them up. Also I took half a note card and punched holes all over it with an ice pick. Then I put all my earrings through these holes. No tangled chains. No lost earrings. Mary Jane

I LOVE the drinking straw idea for thin chains. For bold costume jewelry including semiprecious beaded necklaces, I often use small scraps of tissue paper. Fold tissue paper around the necklace and then fold or curl to put in small plastic bag.

I have a purse with several zippered pockets for various items. One zippered pocket is under another zippered pocket - jewelry case goes into the "under pocket".

The Press n' Seal plastic wrap works well for necklaces, lay down sheet, put your necklaces on it and then another sheet on top and press it down well, then just roll it up and put it in your suitcase. Keeps necklaces, that are too thick for a straw, from tangling. Works well with dangling earrings too.

Thin chains are easy to keep from tangling. I have many small cloth jewelry pouches, with drawstring ties. Place the chain in the bag with the end hanging out, and tie the bag closed. I am careful to take the lavaliere off the chain and put it in the other side of the pouch; otherwise the chain can get tangled in the jewels.

If you don't have cloth jewelry bags, use small plastic bags with zip closures. Again, put the chain in the bag with the end hanging out. Zip the bag closed over the chain (it will zip closed), and there will be no tangling.

I have no idea why this method works, but it does. My jeweler told me about the trick years ago, and I've been using it ever since.

Another idea I saw today for earrings (I know that wasn't the question) is to put them in buttons. Take a button for each pair and put them through the holes in the button. Put the button in your jewelry case.

I thought that was brilliant.

Thin chains are easy to keep from tangling. I have many small cloth jewelry pouches, with drawstring ties. Place the chain in the bag with the end hanging out, and tie the bag closed. I am careful to take the lavaliere off the chain and put it in the other side of the pouch; otherwise the chain can get tangled in the jewels.

If you don't have cloth jewelry bags, use small plastic bags with zip closures. Again, put the chain in the bag with the end hanging out. Zip the bag closed over the chain (it will zip closed), and there will be no tangling.

I have no idea why this method works, but it does. My jeweler told me about the trick years ago, and I've been using it ever since.

I do this at home as well.

There have been so many helpful jewelry packing tips; I have nothing to add on that score. I hope I'm not stating the obvious but unless all your jewelry is costume then I keep it all (well packed) on my person just as I would cash, passport, credit cards or important medications. Just like flying.:)

There have been so many helpful jewelry packing tips; I have nothing to add on that score. I hope I'm not stating the obvious but unless all your jewelry is costume then I keep it all (well packed) on my person just as I would cash, passport, credit cards or important medications. Just like flying.:)

I put it in the safe when on the ship. I think it is safer there than

on me when walking around etc

I pack skinny necklaces in a straw - you won't believe how easy this is and they never tangle. I tape the end and it works! For larger necklaces, I wrap them around a straw. So far, I've arrived at the cruise and again at home with no tangles. Most other things are in a jewelry pouch that has individual small zippers and I can stick earrings etc in those.

Love the button idea for earrings. :) I don't wear necklaces but if I did I would probably use the drinking straws - good idea. All my jewelry (nothing expensive) goes in a cosmetic bag in my backpack. Different types of earrings go in small plastic containers - got them in the crafts area of Walmart. I have a bunch of Pandora type charm bracelets and I carry extra beads so I can change colors to go with different outfits. Those go in the little containers too.

Bought a small plastic, double-sided fishing lure box from Walmart that has partitions that can be pulled up for longer sections (1, 2 or 3 sectional increments) and use this for my earrings as I like dangly earrings. The 2 boxes I have are about 3 x 6 in. so easily fit into the safe on board. Necklaces live in plastic wrap for small ones or silk bags for larger ones. Always bring my decent jewelry on a cruise but the containers are buried under or in a t-shirt or something similarily mundane in my carry-on which never leaves my hand when in public.