Denied boarding

shrifk

Where did you get the information that pier check-in deadline moves up to 90 minutes if the individual did not do the On-Line check in 3 days priors.? RCCL's website clearly states the following and here's the link to check the website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=2685&faqSubjectId=328&faqSubjectName=Online+Check-In&faqType=faq .

Royal Caribbean International requires guests to be checked in
no later than 60 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time
Guests arriving late will not be permitted to sail.
This supports government regulations in some ports that require cruise lines to submit a departure manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing. Guests are requested to complete Online Check-In no later than 3 days prior to the cruise in order to expedite the pier check-in process.

*Some sailings may require an earlier check-in time. Please refer to your Guest Vacation Documents for specific information.

The following came directly off of my invoice for our 12/29/14 NYE cruise out of Tampa:

"Due to new government regulations, Guests must be checked-in and onboard no later than 90 minutes prior to the sailing time or they will not be

permitted to sail. To expedite boarding, check-in online at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/online check-in This is available 24 hours after final payment

has been made and up to three (3) days prior to sailing, not including the day of sailing."

Edited by orville99

The following came directly off of my invoice for our 12/29/14 NYE cruise out of Tampa:

"Due to new government regulations, Guests must be checked-in and onboard no later than 90 minutes prior to the sailing time or they will not be

permitted to sail. To expedite boarding, check-in online at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/online check-in This is available 24 hours after final payment

has been made and up to three (3) days prior to sailing, not including the day of sailing."

The 90 minute requirement is what I remember from my sailings. Maybe it is specific to each port or sailing.

Where did you get the information that pier check-in deadline moves up to 90 minutes if the individual did not do the On-Line check in 3 days priors.? RCCL's website clearly states the following and here's the link to check the website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=2685&faqSubjectId=328&faqSubjectName=Online+Check-In&faqType=faq .

Royal Caribbean International requires guests to be checked in
no later than 60 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time
Guests arriving late will not be permitted to sail.
This supports government regulations in some ports that require cruise lines to submit a departure manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing. Guests are requested to complete Online Check-In no later than 3 days prior to the cruise in order to expedite the pier check-in process.

*Some sailings may require an earlier check-in time. Please refer to your Guest Vacation Documents for specific information.

My current SetSail Pass for our upcoming January cruise on Allure says

"NOTICE: Royal Caribbean International requires guests to be checked in no later than 90 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time*. Guests arriving late will not be permitted to sail. This supports government regulations in some ports that require cruise lines to submit a departure manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing. **Some sailings may require an earlier check-in time. Please refer to your Guest Vacation Documents for specific information".

We Brits cannot take a cruise without stating our insurance company and policy number to the cruise line.

Allowing it to be optional for American's is foolish on behalf of the cruise lines.

Really? Are you talking travel insurance or medical? I'm surprised because it doesn't cost the cruise line anything if you miss the boat, so I can't see why they care either way. The travel insurance is to help the customer, not the company. ... Or am I missing something?

We Brits cannot take a cruise without stating our insurance company and policy number to the cruise line.

Allowing it to be optional for American's is foolish on behalf of the cruise lines.

We cruise with Holland America and not once had to state the insurance company or policy number? Is this unique to Royal Caribbean?

While I sympathize with the family, playing the sick card is not likely to elicit a favorable outcome, given that the cruise line can deny boarding if they put the information that they had just come from a clinic because they thought their child was ill on their health forms.

One is not denied boarding for going to a clinic. One is denied boarding if ship's medical staff believe the person has a contagious illness or is medically too unstable to travel. filling out the health form would flag them for medical review. If ship's staff agreed it was a (non-life threatening) allergy, child would be allowed to board.

I agree the sick child card is not likely to work, but for a different reason....they did not buy insurance. The family assumed the risk of illness by not buying insurance.

Let's reframe this as if they had bought insurance...they wake up boarding day and think the child might be sick.

If it is not a major medical problem (doesn't sound like one from OP's phrasing), they could drive to port, fill out the health form, and be flagged for medical review. Two possible outcomes from medical visit. child is OK and they are cleared to board:) or child is ill so boarding is denied:(. In the latter case, insurance kicks in. Still sad to miss cruise, but not a financial loss, too.

Had the illness appeared more severe to the parents, of course the child would go to a nearby medical facility. If that ill, local doctor would agree no cruise for the child and again insurance would kick in.

I generally only purchase travel insurance for international medical coverage. I am willing to assume the risks of trip cancellation or interruption myself. So far we are way ahead of the game and have not missed a cruise. we came close this summer when a flight was cancelled; we drove all night to get to port. honestly, we'd have done that even if we had insurance, as we really wanted to be on the ship. some day we likely will miss a cruise due to illness, family issues, travel delay, or such. If/when that happens, we theoretically could ask the cruise line if they'd do something for us, but we'd know the risk was all on us.

My son and his family were not allowed to board because they were about two minutes after the close boarding time. This was a 4 day Caribbean cruise leaving Tampa last Saturday, 12/20. The gangway was not removed and the doors were still opened. They were traveling from Orlando to Tampa and had to stop at a clinic because they thought their daughter might be coming down with an illness that turned out to be an alergy.They noticed that several ship's people were milling about.

Pleading with the ship or port people did not do any good.

Alas they did not take out insurance

Most likely they won't get any compensation from RC.

Any suggestions or contacts would be most helpful.

I am posting this on their behalf to see if there is anything or anybody they can contact to rebook this or another cruise and possibly plead their case.

nope. chalk it up as a lesson learned. once the manifest is submitted that is it.

My current SetSail Pass for our upcoming January cruise on Allure says

"NOTICE: Royal Caribbean International requires guests to be checked in no later than 90 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time*. Guests arriving late will not be permitted to sail. This supports government regulations in some ports that require cruise lines to submit a departure manifest 60 minutes prior to sailing. **Some sailings may require an earlier check-in time. Please refer to your Guest Vacation Documents for specific information".

Sorry they missed their cruise......

Some airlines have cut off times as well and once the computer is closed for check in that is it.

I'm sorry your family members had this experience, especially for a Christmas cruise. Unfortunately, I believe they're going to learn a hard lesson. Once the passenger manifest has been submitted to the government, boarding is closed -- no exceptions.

One is not denied boarding for going to a clinic. One is denied boarding if ship's medical staff believe the person has a contagious illness or is medically too unstable to travel. filling out the health form would flag them for medical review. If ship's staff agreed it was a (non-life threatening) allergy, child would be allowed to board.

Which is why my post said "can" and not "will". BTW, AFAIK, there is no instant test for an allergy that would rule out other causes and if the opinion of the medical staff at the pier was that the symptoms presented as the flu, or an upper respiratory or sinus infection, it is entirely possible thy would have been denied boarding anyway.

Which is why my post said "can" and not "will". BTW, AFAIK, there is no instant test for an allergy that would rule out other causes and if the opinion of the medical staff at the pier was that the symptoms presented as the flu, or an upper respiratory or sinus infection, it is entirely possible thy would have been denied boarding anyway.

We agree; the medical staff on the ship could disagree with the patient's other doctor and deny boarding. doth ink they would deny boarding for the flu or for gastroinstinal illness. I doubt they'd typically deny boarding for a simple cold or for a typical sinus infection, but certainly somebody might be denied boarding depending on the guest and the medical staff.

As the family missed the boarding time, we will never know what the ship medical staff would have done. They did not have insurance, so the only small hope they might have is to play the sick child card and see if the cruise line decides to make a goodwill gesture. they have nothing to lose but the time invested in a letter or phone call.

While on Indy last month, they were still letting people board probably 30 mins after the cut off time. I feel for this family. While I agree that there is a time for a reason but it was only 2 mins, I'm sure other people have been more than 2 mins late and have been allowed to board in the past.

Sailing on Adventure out of San Juan people were still boarding during Muster. So clearly past the 90 minutes cut off time. Clearly circumstances prevail sometimes.

I have seen many people turned away at the pier for arriving less than 90 minutes and I've also seen people arriving during muster and hustled off to their muster station with luggage in hand. So go figure.

Sailing on Adventure out of San Juan people were still boarding during Muster. So clearly past the 90 minutes cut off time. Clearly circumstances prevail sometimes.

San Juan and Tampa are two completely different ports... Likely the authorities at each have their own unique set of rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could it be those people purchased choice air and/or are part of a charter group so there is some added protection if flight is late?

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Yes. It could be. But it just goes to show people can board after the 90 minutes before sailing time frame. There are always exceptions to the rule and in this case 2 frigging minutes, really, sounds like a power tripping or lazy Tampa agent.