What is Christmas like onboard a HAL ship?

Susie51

Merry Christmas!

I've never spent Christmas on board a ship. Does the MDR serve a traditional turkey dinner with all of the trimmings?

I took an NCL cruise in Dec. and had bread pudding. Ohhh, I miss HAL's bread pudding. Please tell me it is still the same with the yummy sauce.

Enjoy your holiday!

Depends where you're from Bruce. Every family in every country has a different tradition. In Australia it's very popular to have seafood as it's usually hot at Xmas time. In Britain they have roast goose. We have cold roast turkey, cold baked ham, hot roast pork with crackling and hot roast veges (potatoes, pumpkin and sweet potato) with cauliflower cheese and tinned peas. All served with gravy, mustard and cranberry sauce as well as some of the glaze from the ham. If you have any room left, Xmas Pudding with custard or brandy sauce, trifle or pavlova are common desserts in Australia. We would NEVER have mashed potatoes or bread pudding with a roast dinner at any time of the year..... :eek:

Merry Christmas!

I've never spent Christmas on board a ship. Does the MDR serve a traditional turkey dinner with all of the trimmings? Yes they do.

I took an NCL cruise in Dec. and had bread pudding. Ohhh, I miss HAL's bread pudding. Please tell me it is still the same with the yummy sauce. Again, yes.

Enjoy your holiday!

.....and the same to you.

Thank you Pathfinndinder, for your reply.

Sorry to the others who responded. My family has traditionally had turkey on Christmas. Respectfully, I ask your forgiveness for misusing the word. Some families I know enjoy ham, prime rib, or salmon on Christmas as their traditions.

Sorry to the others who responded. My family has traditionally had turkey on Christmas. Respectfully, I ask your forgiveness for misusing the word. Some families I know enjoy ham, prime rib, or salmon on Christmas as their traditions.

Lets not forget Lasagne , meatballs, sausage and Bracciole. :)

we had turkey at Christmas dinner when I grew up. In recent years roast beef was important but gosh the roast is so pricey right now. Between where you live and Nationality traditions, everything becomes important on Christmas. Christmas Eve was very important as grandparents were Polish and much tradition on the eve was very important. No rules for what you eat on Christmas day.

The traditional dinner served for yesterday's Christmas dinner in the MDR was prime rib with Yorkshire pudding. It was an International Christmas theme and the other entrees included pork belly, fish and a pasta dish.

The Veendam offered all these on the 25th, plus a turkey dinner with most of the trimmings. Desserts included plum pudding, pumpkin and pecan pies.

On Christmas Eve, they also offered roast goose, which was excellent. Pavlova was included on the dessert list on the 24th and again on the 26th.

And yes, the bread pudding was still being served in the Lido on and off all week. :)

Wonderful thread...... I love hearing what are traditional Christmas foods for everyone.

cntrymum....... I am so curious. If down under, you never have mashed potatoes with a roast, what do you serve them with?

Thanks. :)

Wonderful thread...... I love hearing what are traditional Christmas foods for everyone.

cntrymum....... I am so curious. If down under, you never have mashed potatoes with a roast, what do you serve them with?

Ha ha sail 7 As mentioned above, we have at a minimum - roast potatoes, roast pumpkin (yummiest when burnt enough to caramelise) and peas. Also roasted sweet potato, carrot or parsnip and cauliflower in cheese sauce and baked onions are popular accompaniments to a roast. Basically everything goes in the oven :D

One of my favorite Christmases ever was several years ago when we opened our eyes Christmas morning and we were on Amsterdam in Antarctica. Talk about dreaming of a white Christmas! The sun was shining and penguins were drifting by on ice floes. A lovely, quiet, pristine beauty. It's a picture I've carried in my head ever since. We spent the cool, crisp day out on deck, just walking around, breathing in the fresh air, drinking hot chocolate and talking with the other passengers. Wonderful.

The ship was beautifully decorated, and Santa was there for the children (a few extended families but not a lot.) One of my favorite things was on Christmas Eve when some of the staff and crew got together about 11:00 PM in the theater for a carol sing.

I remember the people who were seated at our table in the dining room, but I don't have a clue what was on the menu. I'm sure it was something good.

This was probably my most "untraditional" Christmas ever, but definitely one of the best.

Always roast potatoes and other roasted vegetables with roast meat......never mashed potato.

I am so curious. If down under, you never have mashed potatoes with a roast, what do you serve them with?

We DO have mashed potatoes. Usually with sausages, meat pies or lamb chops. Brown gravy or tomato sauce on top and people often add to their mash things like garlic, pepper, parmesan or shallots for extra flavour.

And several of my Jewish friends eat Chinese food at Christmas.

One of my favorite Christmases ever was several years ago when we opened our eyes Christmas morning and we were on Amsterdam in Antarctica. Talk about dreaming of a white Christmas! The sun was shining and penguins were drifting by on ice floes. A lovely, quiet, pristine beauty. It's a picture I've carried in my head ever since. We spent the cool, crisp day out on deck, just walking around, breathing in the fresh air, drinking hot chocolate and talking with the other passengers. Wonderful.

The ship was beautifully decorated, and Santa was there for the children (a few extended families but not a lot.) One of my favorite things was on Christmas Eve when some of the staff and crew got together about 11:00 PM in the theater for a carol sing.

I remember the people who were seated at our table in the dining room, but I don't have a clue what was on the menu. I'm sure it was something good.

This was probably my most "untraditional" Christmas ever, but definitely one of the best.

Identical experience!!! Maybe the same cruise?

Loved every dam minute!

With eggnog in Champagne glasses out on deck watching the penguins breaching, we had the most memorable Christmas ever!!!!

Depends where you're from Bruce. Every family in every country has a different tradition. In Australia it's very popular to have seafood as it's usually hot at Xmas time. In Britain they have roast goose. We have cold roast turkey, cold baked ham, hot roast pork with crackling and hot roast veges (potatoes, pumpkin and sweet potato) with cauliflower cheese and tinned peas. All served with gravy, mustard and cranberry sauce as well as some of the glaze from the ham. If you have any room left, Xmas Pudding with custard or brandy sauce, trifle or pavlova are common desserts in Australia. We would NEVER have mashed potatoes or bread pudding with a roast dinner at any time of the year..... :eek:

Most of us in the UK usually have turkey, not goose. Some families have roast beef if they dislike poultry. True, never mashed potatoes, always roasted plus boiled baby new potatoes, brussel sprouts, roasted parsnips, butternut squash, cauliflower cheese, either frozen garden or petit pois peas. We always have sausage plus sage and onion stuffing which we now cook separately, not stuffed into the turkey (easier to ensure meat is cooked through).

Dessert is usually Christmas pudding with either custard, brandy/rum sauce - never bread pudding. Most of the younger generation dislike the heavy pudding so there's usually something chocolatey and creamy for them.