Oasis Suites & D+ Sad News

DP

I just received an email from Allan the concierge for my upcoming trip on the Oasis (Jan 17). It states that complimentary beverages will be served in the Suite Lounge from 5-8:30 pm daily. Unfortunately it appears that they have canceled the "all day" complimentary drinks. Looks like it's time to buy a beverage package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mike

I rarely if ever sail in suites so I have no dog in this fight, but does anyone else think it's odd that the would choose THIS cutback at a time they are otherwise tripping over themselves to improve their suite benefits to compete with superior programs on NCL and other lines?

...this, like any number of other things they've done lately, just doesn't compute for me. It's like the bean counters have officially taken over and all common sense has gone out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I rarely if ever sail in suites so I have no dog in this fight, but does anyone else think it's odd that the would choose THIS cutback at a time they are otherwise tripping over themselves to improve their suite benefits to compete with superior programs on NCL and other lines?

...this, like any number of other things they've done lately, just doesn't compute for me. It's like the bean counters have officially taken over and all common sense has gone out the window.

100% correct again. Daniella must have a hard time living with someone who is so perfect. ;)

100% correct again. Daniella must have a hard time living with someone who is so perfect. ;)

LOL oh Andrew... We live vicariously thorough you guys with your suite experiences. :p I'll be curious to hear from you guys what the deal is on Allure when you get back in a few months. It seems that Lady O is being used as the guinea pig.

I think it's more likely they were trying to make people happy during the construction phase and now since that is coming to an end they no longer feel the need to offer 12 hours of free drinks.

It seems to me people got spoiled for the this short period of time on one ship that this was offered. So now it's back to "normal" for us fortunate enough to be able to afford a suite.

We did a GS a few years ago and the CL was very limited services with drinks only just prior to dinner. We will be in an Oasis OS in March and are just happy to have access to the new CK and suite lounge. Oh, do I need to mention all the other great stuff that goes along with being in an OS?

I might get flamed for this, but I was looking forward to trying DD. But I guess we just stick with MTD, wait isn't that pretty similar to DD? I never planned to make a RSVP for DD. I was just going to show up and see what and where I can get a table. We have done MTD before and yes I did have to wait 15-20 minutes at the bar before being seated. Wow, sort of like showing up at a hometown place during prime dining time!

Get real, was I the only one who said, "gee I wonder how long that will last" when they offered free drinks in the suite lounge for 12 hours?

I think it's more likely they were trying to make people happy during the construction phase and now since that is coming to an end they no longer feel the need to offer 12 hours of free drinks.

It seems to me people got spoiled for the this short period of time on one ship that this was offered. So now it's back to "normal" for us fortunate enough to be able to afford a suite.

We did a GS a few years ago and the CL was very limited services with drinks only just prior to dinner. We will be in an Oasis OS in March and are just happy to have access to the new CK and suite lounge. Oh, do I need to mention all the other great stuff that goes along with being in an OS?

I might get flamed for this, but I was looking forward to trying DD. But I guess we just stick with MTD, wait isn't that pretty similar to DD? I never planned to make a RSVP for DD. I was just going to show up and see what and where I can get a table. We have done MTD before and yes I did have to wait 15-20 minutes at the bar before being seated. Wow, sort of like showing up at a hometown place during prime dining time!

Get real, was I the only one who said, "gee I wonder how long that will last" when they offered free drinks in the suite lounge for 12 hours?

Not everyone wants their dining experience on a cruise to be like how it is at home.

We will be in an Oasis OS in March and are just happy to have access to the new CK and suite lounge.

I for one would be happier to see a suite lounge and coastal kitchen fleetwide and forego the all day complimentary drinks on this one ship. Hoping this is one of the additions to freedom after this mysterious dry dock!! :)

I for one would be happier to see a suite lounge and coastal kitchen fleetwide and forego the all day complimentary drinks on this one ship. Hoping this is one of the additions to freedom after this mysterious dry dock!! :)

I would love to see a CK on FOS too, but where would they put one?

I would love to see a CK on FOS too, but where would they put one?

I think what we as cruisers find relevant on a ship is not how corporate looks at it so I can not even fathom to think what could be replaced with a CK. I will tell you, the ship is big enough if they want to!!

Royal knows they hit a slam dunk with this combo and has proven they are trying to finally upgrade the suite experience. I think you may see much more of this conversion in the future. Well, at least I hope!!;)

Jan 17 will be my first time on the Oasis, and my first time staying in a suite. Even though they have cancelled the "all day" complimentary beverages in the Suite Lounge, am I correct in assuming that the bar in the Suite Lounge will be staffed all day and that I will be able to purchase drinks if I like?

Mike

Jan 17 will be my first time on the Oasis, and my first time staying in a suite. Even though they have cancelled the "all day" complimentary beverages in the Suite Lounge, am I correct in assuming that the bar in the Suite Lounge will be staffed all day and that I will be able to purchase drinks if I like?

Mike

Possible, but that would be different than all other Concierge and Diamond lounges.

Possible, but that would be different than all other Concierge and Diamond lounges.

I can't imagine it not being open. Being that we had the opportunity on 11/29 to experience the suite lounge and coastal kitchen, the two play hand in hand. It is simply too busy for the servers to order from some other bar.

You will enjoy both.

Edited by CaribSailor

I can't imagine it not being open. Being that we had the opportunity on 11/29 to experience the suite lounge and coastal kitchen, the two play hand in hand. It is simply too busy for the servers to order from some other bar.

You will enjoy both.

Well, the suites lounge is a whole new concept, and I suspect that Royal is still trying to figure out what policies will be in force. It would not surprise me if they had a cash bar staffed during the day.

Well, the suites lounge is a whole new concept, and I suspect that Royal is still trying to figure out what policies will be in force. It would not surprise me if they had a cash bar staffed during the day.

To be honest-for me I would like that as I could get my frozen drinks as those are my daytime drinks!! Something blue and blended!!! LOL

Yes, I also agree that this an entirely new concept that they are trying to tweak and figure out where they are going. Glad they are but I for one do not think this all day free drinks will be the way they will go. By already doing the few hours of 'happy hour' they've already trumped NCL's haven in that department!!

I remember reading that there was a sel-service honor bar in the concierge lounge during the day. Is it possible that there are free drinks but no attendant in the suite lounge?

The honor bar has not been around for years. I doubt there would be self-serve alcoholic drinks in the suites lounge.

I remember reading that there was a sel-service honor bar in the concierge lounge during the day. Is it possible that there are free drinks but no attendant in the suite lounge?

Nope. When drinks are served someone will serve them. When drinks aren't being served the booze is locked up. :)

We were in a CLS on the Oasis 12/6 sailing and thought that the 12 hour free booze policy in the Suite Lounge was great even though I don't drink. Well, not what was being offered anyway. Between the Diamond and SL booze policy, I was considering starting to pick up drinking since I felt that it was wasted on me otherwise. It would have been a nice suite perk to continue for Diamonds to feel as if more freebies were offered by staying in a suite in terms of the comp drinks.

Does anyone know if you can take your drink out of the Suite Lounge? For example, can you get a drink and then walk down to dinner?

In November people were on Oasis. I am not sure about now.

We were in a suite on the Oasis the first week in December and really enjoyed the new suite perks such as getting a drink during the day when we wanted it. They also had a more extensive list of drinks we could get. We booked a suite for the same time next year because we loved the new perks. We are D+ and can get the free drinks in the diamond lounge. Not sure if we will keep the suite for next year. I guess we will wait and see.

Does anyone know if you can take your drink out of the Suite Lounge? For example, can you get a drink and then walk down to dinner?

The email I received last week stated food and beverages were to be consumed inside the lounge. Since I will be staying in a CL, I was really looking forward to being able to grab a complimentary cocktail and taking it back to the room and enjoying it on the balcony.

Mike

I was totally amazed when I read that. I can not imagine what they would have cost them per day, even for a few weeks. Now it makes more sense. A Lounge were you can get a drink, a comfortable chair, and I bet a great view, but you still need to buy it. I can live with that. Then like other ships, the free cocktail hour(s) in the evening. That is all I have ever gotten on any RCL ship and I would expect the same on this one.

The email I received last week stated food and beverages were to be consumed inside the lounge. Since I will be staying in a CL, I was really looking forward to being able to grab a complimentary cocktail and taking it back to the room and enjoying it on the balcony.

Mike

You should make this determination once on the ship;)