Can Balcony Partitions between two Balconies be Opened?

daisyday33

We have cruised on Carnival with friends and had the balcony partitions open to make one large balcony. I just called Royal to inquire about booking two balcony rooms - when I asked to make sure that the partition could be opened between the balconies, she stated that Royal no longer allows balcony partitions to be opened (except in rare cases with the approval of the ship staff). Has anyone had a recent experience with this? Is it true that they no longer open any balcony partitions? Thank you for your help and experience!

We have cruised on Carnival with friends and had the balcony partitions open to make one large balcony. I just called Royal to inquire about booking two balcony rooms - when I asked to make sure that the partition could be opened between the balconies, she stated that Royal no longer allows balcony partitions to be opened (except in rare cases with the approval of the ship staff). Has anyone had a recent experience with this? Is it true that they no longer open any balcony partitions? Thank you for your help and experience!

It would help if you could tell us what ship you are considering. On some ships, it's not possible to open the partitions.

We were inquiring about the Independence of the Seas and the Adventure of the Seas sailings, but she read a "standard response" regarding my balcony question and she stated that this was the policy for all of the Royal ships.

No partitions can be opened on Adventure.

The partitions can be opened on side facing balconies on Indy, subject to the approval of ship's management.

No partitions can be opened on Adventure.

The partitions can be opened on side facing balconies on Indy, subject to the approval of ship's management.

I'm assuming that since you cannot open the balcony dividers on the Adventurer, they will not be able to be opened on the Explorer, since it's the same class of ship.

I'm assuming that since you cannot open the balcony dividers on the Adventurer, they will not be able to be opened on the Explorer, since it's the same class of ship.

Correct, dividers cannot be opened on the first gen Voyager class ships (Voyager, Explorer, Adventure). However, they can be opened on the second gen Voyager class ships, Navigator and Mariner.

Dividers can be opened (subject to management approval) between Central Park and Boardwalk balconies on Oasis class.

I like the careful way you are wording that. One of these days at the Captain's corner I am going to ask a Captain if they really care one way or another. IMO, the people that throw around that's the Captain's decision are doing so because they heard it here or on Facebook.

I've only been on one cruise where we wanted to do this - Navigator 2009 and we were told no. We were going to ask on Freedom for our upcoming cruise, but the other couple backed out, so I don't think I'll ask the strangers next door, though I was looking forward to a super wide balcony on the hump of Freedom.

Yes, all the Freedom class ships with connecting balconies can be opened. When you arrive on the ship day 1 and meet your room steward, ask them to please have the divider opened up. The room steward will then ask the adult in the other adjacent room if they also want the divider opened. Assuming that answer is yes, the room steward then takes this request to his/her boss who has the keys to open the divider. I am not quite sure what the title of the boss person is. This boss person is the one who gets to decide if the divider will be opened or not. Unless something has changed very recently, they still accommodate this request. They staff has a ton to do on the first day of a cruise and this will be a low priority request for them. However, usually by the time you return from dinner the first night the divider is opened up for the week. We have done this on several occasions now.

Hacksaw?!?! That's ridiculous.

You need a plasma cutter.

Just mention it ahead of time and it can be a kids event in the cruise compass.

Construction on the High Seas! $25/pp

Come see what it's like to be an actual ship builder by modifying one of our state of the art vessels. Kids will learn the value of hard work, Occupational Health and Safety practices, and get a complimentary RCCI branded saw! Hurry, this event always sells out fast!

Does anyone know if the Jewel allows balconies to be opened at request? We have connected balcony rooms in March.

It is not possible to open balcony dividers on Radiance class ships, of which Jewel is one.

• 1 year later...