Pitcairn Island - Marina, Dec 28, 2014

stretchslr

We had a lovely visit from the islanders on the ship. Bought a lovely rock from a teen for my grandson. Posted a letter with the postmistress (didn't realize it had to wait for the next mailboat so it wasn't delivered for about five months!). Two sessions with the pharmacist were offered in the Marina Lounge - don't miss it! The Q&A was especially interesting and frank. Our ship did a tour around the island, with the mayor of Pitcairn giving us a description as we went. And the Pitcairn Islanders on board visited the shops, had burgers, etc. and enjoyed their visit too!

We may not have actually trod the soil but it was next best thing!

I read one of the Pitcairn websites where an ingenious contraption is shown where a guest house heats bath- and sinkwater with wood for two days.

Well I guess if the passengers got stranded ashore it may be an issue

I really do not think anybody is trying to fool anybody. Havening gone to some of these really small and isolated places you might want to return on the next tender. I think the interaction with island people is the fun part no matter where it takes place. Computer works has some great pictures of his call their and the fair on the ship.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I did check the Oceania excursions & no tours were listed for this port

I guess those that booked the cruise assumed they would be able to go ashore

We had a tour in 2013... The Captain drove the ship around the island.

Edited by Waikele Ali'i

We had a lovely visit from the islanders on the ship. Bought a lovely rock from a teen for my grandson. Posted a letter with the postmistress (didn't realize it had to wait for the next mailboat so it wasn't delivered for about five months!). Two sessions with the pharmacist were offered in the Marina Lounge - don't miss it! The Q&A was especially interesting and frank. Our ship did a tour around the island, with the mayor of Pitcairn giving us a description as we went. And the Pitcairn Islanders on board visited the shops, had burgers, etc. and enjoyed their visit too!

We may not have actually trod the soil but it was next best thing!

+1

We were on the same cruise.

Considering what is actually on the island, this entire experience was as good or better than visiting the island itself.

I think in many cases we choose to fool ourselves in the face of reality...

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

In Pitcairn's case the sheer mass of reports of never landing, why would you expect differently?

I read the cruise stop at Pitcairn to be a stop and not a shore experience.

Just like when I went through the Panama Canal...I did not expect to run along aside the ship on the locks

Well I guess if the passengers got stranded ashore it may be an issue

You are absolutely correct. Being stranded happens sometimes in places that are much larger and have hotels. Happened to passengers on a Princess ship in Akaroa, NZ. There were not enough hotel rooms for everybody in this lovely small town. Some people complained about the accommodations in private homes.

Bounty_Bay_Jetty_1970s.jpgIt's just a very, very isolated island with extremely limited landing facilities.

Must every fact that you are unaware of be part of a plot to fool you? :confused:

Good try. But we do know the facts, which are that the ship lists a port stop which they can not possibly make. Seems like they are fooling us.

Call it "Scenic cruising" if there is no landing planned or possible for this itinerary. To Dan's point, the Panama Canal is described as "Panama Canal Daylight Transit"-no suggestion that there could be running along the locks.

If there is NO chance of a landing it is a bit disingenuous of O to use the following description:

"Adamstown

Stand atop Garnet's Ridge and enjoy the panoramic views from one of the highest points on the island. Ancient Polynesian petroglyphs can be found at Down Rope cliff, and an isolated sandy beach lies at its base. Remains of the Bounty, the ship on which the world's most infamous mutiny was staged, can be located throughout the island, or you can grab a snorkel and tour the wreckage on your own.

Dining:

Deep-fried bluefish, red snapper, tuna and wahoo are local favorites. Pilhi, a baked custard-like dish made from puréed fruit, milk and sugar, is a staple of the island.

Shopping:

Shop locally produced handicrafts like woven baskets, models of the Bounty and carvings of local wildlife. Philatelists will enjoy the local postage stamps."

So no standing or "dining" though yes, there may be shopping albeit on the Marina.

No worries. We knew this was a very remote port with limited resources with perhaps a slim chance of a landing.

Next time we will try to do this route with Zegrahm and zodiacs.

There WILL be shopping on the Marina from the people from Pitcairn who come on board - in fact, quite a bit. Unless they can't get to the ship that day because of the seas, count on them being there.

That description should definitely be transferred into reality.

The expedition ship has an excellent itinerary. Will add it to my favorites.

Excitement was high the next morning as we approached Pitcairn Island at dawn. Most of us transferred from Zodiacs into a longboat, which ferried us down the coast to the jetty. We walked or rode ATVs up a steep access road to the village of Adamstown, nibbled our box lunches, and dispersed across the island on foot.

Read more: http://www.zegrahm.com/field-reports/2014/12/tahiti-easter-island-marquesas-tuamotus-pitcairns#ixzz3NUxRQPWU

If there is NO chance of a landing it is a bit disingenuous of O to use the following description:

"Adamstown

Stand atop Garnet's Ridge and enjoy the panoramic views from one of the highest points on the island. Ancient Polynesian petroglyphs can be found at Down Rope cliff, and an isolated sandy beach lies at its base. Remains of the Bounty, the ship on which the world's most infamous mutiny was staged, can be located throughout the island, or you can grab a snorkel and tour the wreckage on your own.

Dining:

Deep-fried bluefish, red snapper, tuna and wahoo are local favorites. Pilhi, a baked custard-like dish made from puréed fruit, milk and sugar, is a staple of the island.

Shopping:

Shop locally produced handicrafts like woven baskets, models of the Bounty and carvings of local wildlife. Philatelists will enjoy the local postage stamps."

There is no way Oceania has put something like this in print. In fact, I don't believe anyone could dream up such a description. Well, maybe Fodors.

Dining: to their credit they didn't list restaurants.

There is no way Oceania has put something like this in print. In fact, I don't believe anyone could dream up such a description. Well, maybe Fodors.

Dining: to their credit they didn't list restaurants.

It was probably taken from some tourist guide but it IS in print on O's website under the excursions

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/southpacific/mna150404/excursions/ada/default.aspx

Edited by LHT28

Yes, I didn't doubt that for a second. The person responsible for putting this on their site should be hung. I'm guessing there are at least a few bookings that would consider this potential visit to be the highlight port of the itinerary. Problem is......there is NO potential visit as described. Someone at O needs to pay attention.

So as what, do you suggest, should it be listed?

No reason not to list as long as they tell it like it is. A beautiful tour around the island with no way to get off. Possibly some native coming aboard to sell stuff. At least this is honest.

They are currently being a new Marina on Pitcairn. It is funded by the EU and British Government. It will be able to have more ships land. They have had ships land and one ship had over a 1000 passengers. The ships tenders brought them. They enjoyed tours of the Island, Museum visit to see Bounty history. Beautiful views. Visits with the locals. Local food which included fresh fish and an abundance of local fruit.

The Islanders want people to come to the Island. They have Eco-trails, a graveyard which has Bounty grave, an a huge Galapagos turtle called Mrs T.

Check out Dem Tull, a local newsletter. Just google Pitcairn Dem Tull. It goes back years.

• 6 months later...
Which ship was it? I HIGHLY doubt if this is true. The part about building a new marina there is true but a ship with 1000 people on the island, I highly doubt.

I HIGHLY believe the Europa put people ashore by tender

I was looking at Ponant's L'Austral, an expedition ship with only ~ 240 passenger capacity. They will not tender passengers ashore.

Between the cost for the ship and the danger of landing not so young passengers (Which ones do you allow and which ones must stay on the ship?), the more practical solution seems to be for the islanders to come aboard.

Between the cost for the ship and the danger of landing not so young passengers (Which ones do you allow and which ones must stay on the ship?), the more practical solution seems to be for the islanders to come aboard.

Someone on Marina's 4/12/15 stop at Pitcairn was complaining on deck about not being allowed off the ship and said passengers could "self evaluate" their abilities to handle a landing:eek: I could not believe my ears.

I HIGHLY believe the Europa put people ashore by tender

How high? I've just checked Hapag Lloyd's expedition ship Bremen. Their Pitcairn itinerary doesn't say anything about landing, but scenic cruising at Pitcairn's flat sister island. The Bremen is much smaller than the Europa and an old fashioned expedition ship with unusual itineraries.

Is the horse dead? ;)