Casual night attire in MDR?

bbiggar

What does the RCCL dress code say?

This will be our first RCL sailing and wondering what people recommend for casual nights for men. I find it very hard to get my husband into slacks and wondering if nice dress shorts are ok? Easy enough to get him to wear a collared shirt so no problem there.

Don't sail on princess and wear dark jeans on formal night. They will kick you out in the middle of the meal. Very embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on several Princess cruises and wore dark black jeans to dinner everynight, sat right at the front table, had long chats with the matr'd....no problems.

Like others said, you experience could range from

1. nothing will happen

2. stopped at the door

3. others in the MDR will have heart attacks that you did not wear tails, a cane, and monocle to dinner

If I were a betting man, I would say #1 and #3, with a possibility of #2

titanic-dinner-scene.jpg

Edited by twindaddy

We sailed on the christmas cruise on Majesty.

Unfortunately they did not turn anybody away! I wish they would have...

Even if you don't care to dress formal, the dress code was a disgrace!

People wore tank tops, shorts, crocs, baseball hats... on christmas eve and christmas day. Most did not even care to wear a polo instead of a T-Shirt.

Some families looked more like gangs on a meeting ;)

Although I did not expect to see many tuxedos and evening gowns - this was a shock!

We sailed on Celebrity Constellation last christmas. Much different! Still relaxed but at least descent...

BTW did the OP mention were the cruise is going to? Dress codes on Caribbean cruises are much different than on cruises in Europe.

What does the RCCL dress code say?

It doesn't say shorts are prohibited

This is an interesting thread thanks Bbiggar - I don't see the issue with shorts; casual in the Caribbean is shorts........we'll be wearing shorts, with collar shirt

It doesn't say shorts are prohibited

This is an interesting thread thanks Bbiggar - I don't see the issue with shorts; casual in the Caribbean is shorts........we'll be wearing shorts, with collar shirt

It actually DOES say shorts are prohibited. On the website, on signs outside the MDR, and in your daily Cruise Compass (apparently except for Oasis/Allure.)

This past July on Allure.

First dinner seating in MDR.

Turned young adults, men and women away while wearing their shorts.

Children in dress shorts permitted in with their parents.

My daughter and I will usually wear Capri pants with a dressy top or sun dresses on casual night.

Dh will wear business casual.

Some of the tops that women wear:eek:, should be covered up with a sweater or such, their not tank tops, but, they cover very little.

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

It actually DOES say shorts are prohibited. On the website, on signs outside the MDR, and in your daily Cruise Compass (apparently except for Oasis/Allure.)

On our printed cruise docs for IOS - it states no swim wear, tank tops, blah blah blah but does not state no shorts:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

No trying to be difficult - but where is NO shorts stated???? :confused:

T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch [/color]

No trying to be difficult - but where is NO shorts stated???? :confused:

Right in your post! They are acceptable for lunch. Only for lunch! Not for dinner

Edit: is also says this on the sign at the entrance to the dining room.

Edited by BekkaW

Right in your post! They are acceptable for lunch. Only for lunch! Not for dinner

Edit: is also says this on the sign at the entrance to the dining room.

It does not say prohibited - Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants - as it does with the above mentioned. I understand suggested but that is a far cry from prohibited (or not allowed as it states)

The entrance is a bit too late if I am already on my cruise, cant really go home and change ;)

It does not say prohibited - Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants - as it does with the above mentioned. I understand suggested but that is a far cry from prohibited (or not allowed as it states)

The entrance is a bit too late if I am already on my cruise, cant really go home and change ;)

Those items are prohibited all the time. Shorts are given an exception at lunch, but only at lunch. It's really not difficult to understand.

Those items are prohibited all the time. Shorts are given an exception at lunch, but only at lunch. It's really not difficult to understand.

I'm not trying to argue - but - if its an exception at lunch it would state that .......its not difficult to understand, the way it is written it is not prohibited........this sounds more of an opinion than an understanding

What I was wondering is if you do see people wearing shorts and a polo on casual evenings -

I'm not trying to argue - but - if its an exception at lunch it would state that .......its not difficult to understand, the way it is written it is not prohibited........this sounds more of an opinion than an understanding

What I was wondering is if you do see people wearing shorts and a polo on casual evenings -

I'll try to phrase it differently. It says allowed at lunch, so if you go at a time that is not lunch what would you deduce? I would deduce it is not lunch so not allowed.

Polo tops are fine. I have never seen shorts being worn in the MDR for evening, but others have reported seeing it. Some have reported seeing people being turned away, to go and change or eat elsewhere. Royal is pretty inconsistent with this!

I'll try to phrase it differently. It says allowed at lunch, so if you go at a time that is not lunch what would you deduce? I would deduce it is not lunch so not allowed.

Polo tops are fine. I have never seen shorts being worn in the MDR for evening, but others have reported seeing it. Some have reported seeing people being turned away, to go and change or eat elsewhere. Royal is pretty inconsistent with this!

So, what do you deduce for breakfast then?:eek:

I really wish they would just spell it out clearly.

Perhaps......my logic tells me if it doesn't say prohibited then it is allowed, maybe not encouraged but allowed - I think its fair to say that it really depends on the staff.

I know this is silly but I'm on vacation and really want to be comfortable; not sloppy but comfortable.....why would anyone wear long pants in the Caribbean;)

Unfortunately I have to dress up for work everyday, the last thing I want to do on vacation is dress up - formal night it the exception, which is why we have a GS, we can have dinner on our balcony without having to worry about it; if we choose to not dress up.

For breakfast you wear your robe.

Sorry, wrong topic. :D

Now I'm sitting here laughing out loud and my husband is wondering what is so funny - it really was a serious question - would we be outcast in the dining room on casual evenings in shorts and a collared shirt - now robes in the dining room.......well, I never ;)

This will be our first RCL sailing and wondering what people recommend for casual nights for men. I find it very hard to get my husband into slacks and wondering if nice dress shorts are ok? Easy enough to get him to wear a collared shirt so no problem there.

Three pages in now...

To the OP, the moral of the story is that technically short are a no-no in the MDR at dinner time. Although there is chance your husband will be allowed, the dining room staff use their discretion so the only way to be 100% sure your husband won't be turned away is to wear long pants.

Hope that is of some help :-)

Are you TRYING to be obtuse, or what? The rest of what you repeated above - which you posted earlier, is:

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Now, if you think that when they take pains to explicitly state that shorts, etc. are acceptable FOR LUNCH that doesn't imply that they're NOT acceptable FOR DINNER, then you're going to ignore all the information anyway, so go for it - you may or may not be turned away at the door...

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Are you TRYING to be obtuse, or what? The rest of what you repeated above - which you posted earlier, is:

Now, if you think that when they take pains to explicitly state that shorts, etc. are acceptable FOR LUNCH that doesn't imply that they're NOT acceptable FOR DINNER, then you're going to ignore all the information anyway, so go for it - you may or may not be turned away at the door...

Don't be RUDE - what I am stating is what is written......simple, easy - they "take pains to explicitly state" the items that are not allowed what more would it be to add shorts (six additional letters)

Don't be RUDE - what I am stating is what is written......simple, easy - they "take pains to explicitly state" the items that are not allowed what more would it be to add shorts (six additional letters)

Most anyone with a basic understanding of the language, and who isn't TRYING to argue just to argue, agrees about what is written - when it says shorts are allowed FOR LUNCH that's what it means - if they meant to say they were also allowed FOR DINNER, they'd have said so - they did not say so.