Royal Princess misses St Kitts

ellie1145

Well, we are sailing sadly away from St Kitts as very strong winds made it too dangerous for Royal to dock. After 2 valiant attempts the Captain made the decision to abandon the manoeuvre. With only one tiny tug and 35 knot winds he just didn't have the power to proceed safely.

But the sun is shining, we are on a stunning ship, the staff are incredible and the food fantastic, so although we are disappointed as it was our first visit here, we are pleased that safety came first.

We have had strong winds for a couple of days and for those who don't know St Kitts, the dock is a small very exposed concrete jetty which sticks out into the sea with no protection whatsoever. The captain could have tendered but there was no tendering dock.

Are we angry? Good heavens, NO! We will make the best of it. But we feel very sad for the people of St Kitts who have lost a considerable income. Our disappointment seems minuscule in comparison to their very real loss.

We are en route for St Thomas, our next port, as there were no alternatives available - St Maarten had no dock space. As for Princess Cays we can only cross our fingers and hope. If these winds persist as we steam northwards then that, too, may have to be abandoned. But better safe than sorry.

Edited by ellie1145

What a great attitude! People tend to forget safety comes first, and the captain has thousands of lives in his hands.

We're sailing on Royal in March, and I for one am looking forward to the food. Wish I could find menus posted somewhere.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. My favorite days are always the sea days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just FYI, none of the Grand or Royal class ships can safely maneuver if wind gusts are 35mph or higher. Doesn't matter how many tugs are in position or the ship's speed or power. It's not a matter of power but rather that the height of the ship is like a sail and a gust can affect the ship's maneuverability. It's dangerous for the ship and passengers.

You do have a great attitude about a missed port-Refreshing!

We missed St. Kitts as well on our first Caribbean cruise because a hurricane, Hurricane Jeanne in 2004. When we finally got there the following year I thought it worth the wait. May the rest of your cruise be smooth sailing.

I can usually find some entertainment by going to Passenger services and watching the crowd. I've even gotten snacks from the IC and taken them over to the harried desk agents dealing with the 'how dare we missed a port, give me a free cruise' pax......

St. Kitts has always required extra caution on the part of the Captain. Was this not the port where a few years ago it was found that the local pilots were failing to warn the cruise ships of an obstruction in the channel that one ship had a very, very near miss of? True or not I am sure that I have heard that the channel must be widened and deepened if St Kitts expects the newest and largest ships to continue to call there.

Edited by fishywood

Great attitude and excuse to book another trip that includes St Kitts. We are just off the same itinerary same ship as you, and I would trade places with anyone that is upset.:D

Wonderful ship and a great itinerary. Glad you are enjoying your holiday.

I can usually find some entertainment by going to Passenger services and watching the crowd. I've even gotten snacks from the IC and taken them over to the harried desk agents dealing with the 'how dare we missed a port, give me a free cruise' pax......
Isn't that the truth? :)

Gracious. Have they not read the cruise contract? Apparently, I've been missing all the fun.

Oooh, I'd be VERY unhappy to miss St. Kitts, it's one of my favorite islands and two of my favorite shops in the world are there. But for safety reasons...don't want to mess with that, and I certainly wouldn't complain to guest services about it. Stuff happens.

Sorry to hear you missed St. Kitts. You've got a great attitude that I wish more people had. I was on the Royal last week and I would have likely had the same reaction. What a beautiful ship and fantastic crew! Enjoy the rest of your cruise. :)