Is HAL for pardon me the wheelchair bound?

NOSaints1

I get up at 4 am too. I thought I was bad because I'm in bed between 9 and 9:30.

Gosh Lorene and Gail, sure glad I'm retired. You'd think you gals work at a TV station, not an office. I'm awake at 4:30 and get up to feed the cat and then back to bed until after 8:00. Sure do enjoy that after working for 50 years. Don't feel the least bit guilty either.

Edited by solocanadian

Yep, and I've enjoyed every HAL cruise I've taken, but being "wheelchair bound" has nothing to do with being in bed by 8. Wheelchairs neither discriminate against age nor do they dictate what time I go to bed. Cruising is a wonderful vacation option for us "wheelchair bound". Hopefully you will never have to be "wheelchair bound" to find out how limited our options are.

original.jpg

Really nice pic! Happy New Year to you both!

Thanks for the kind words about our photo. I'm not typically one that gets too upset about how things are worded, but the title of this thread struck a nerve.

HAL does tend to be an older crowd and there isn't as much late night activity as other cruise lines may have, but that doesn't mean the place is a ghost town after 8 PM.

We are in our early 40's, but we don't have children, so when I go on vacation I prefer not to share it with lots of other children. Due to my disability, I don't care about rocks walls, flow riders, water slides, mini-golf, etc., so those things aren't a priority when I search for a cruise.

We have only cruised with Carnival, Royal Caribbean and HAL. We have found the crew far more friendly and helpful on HAL. The crew on the other ships have always made us feel like a welcomed guest, which isn't a bad thing. HAL crew always makes us feel like we are at home. I never thought that would be a big deal to me, but I have realized it is after cruising other lines.

There are so many cruise lines to choose from that one must do plenty of research to find the best fit for you, which in a way was the purpose of your question. If you had worded it in a different manner you would have gotten a much warmer response. HAL is an excellent fit for my wife and I, but that is because it fits our needs as a whole, not just because I'm disabled.

original.jpg

I, too, have been bothered about the thread title. No one should assume they are immune from the same circumstance and there is no assumption only age is the cause. Nothing ever shocked me and my DH more than when he became seriously ill, unexplained, no event, no history and his last days before hospitalization required a wheelchair. He was not retired, was hale and hearty, we walked about 2 miles most nights after dinner...... and then he couldn't. And then I lost him.

But for the grace of God.

Your photo is wonderful. You look so happy and I wish you both (everyone here) the best of good health and happiness in the New Year.

I've cruised most major lines, except MSC (if they are considered major?), including an 11 and 7 day on HAL. Being in my mid '50s, there were definitely more seniors aboard HAL than other lines I've sailed. The onboard activities certainly cater to this market, and why shouldn't this demographic be catered to, they have both the time and resources. I've also been told by several insiders that HAL ships have more morgue spaces than other lines. Personally, I've had great experiences on the Zyderdam and the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Dive In does an exceptional burger!

I, too, have been bothered about the thread title. No one should assume they are immune from the same circumstance and there is no assumption only age is the cause. Nothing ever shocked me and my DH more than when he became seriously ill, unexplained, no event, no history and his last days before hospitalization required a wheelchair. He was not retired, was hale and hearty, we walked about 2 miles most nights after dinner...... and then he couldn't. And then I lost him.

But for the grace of God.

Your photo is wonderful. You look so happy and I wish you both (everyone here) the best of good health and happiness in the New Year.

So sorry to hear about your husband. Everyone, myself included, takes the simple things in life for granted. It can all change in the blink of an eye. I am so blessed to be married to this beautiful lady!

I've also read where the demographic on princess and hal are almost identical. Maybe because I've taken a cruise at Easter and one in the summer, I don't see all the old people everyone is talking about. I've done four cruises heading for my 5th this Spring. Mine are also short 7 day cruises so they may cater to younger folk. Since we can't afford to do longer cruises and my husband still works, we will be doing shorter cruises for a while yet.

No matter what line you cruise on, the age of the passengers will depend upon the itinerary. If you cruise during the summer, you will see lots of children and their youngish parents. If you cruise during the school year, those youngish parents will be at home with their school-age children and the cruise passengers will be older. Longer cruises attract folks who are retired.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

When my friends ask me about the difference between HAL and Carnival, I tell them....

Carnival=suntan lotion

HAL=Ben Gay rub

Then there are some of us who describe it this way ...

HAL -- Nicely dressed, cocktail drinkers (or not)

Carnival -- Ball caps, buckets of beers

So sorry to hear about your husband. Everyone, myself included, takes the simple things in life for granted. It can all change in the blink of an eye. I am so blessed to be married to this beautiful lady!

510picker, your wife is beautiful as you said. However, if I were 30 years younger, I'd probably try to move her out of the picture and be the one sitting on your lap! Seriously, you two are a beautiful couple!

Diane

Then there are some of us who describe it this way ...

HAL -- Nicely dressed, cocktail drinkers (or not)

Carnival -- Ball caps, buckets of beers

I would agree with this, but they do have buckets of beer on HAL. I have enjoyed a few with friends in the Cabana Club area on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

510picker, your wife is beautiful as you said. However, if I were 30 years younger, I'd probably try to move her out of the picture and be the one sitting on your lap! Seriously, you two are a beautiful couple!

Diane

You're too kind :) My wife has sat on my lap in the grocery store and held onto the cart while I pushed us around before. Talk about getting some funny looks! We enjoy the life we've been given and always try to have fun.

What kind of activities are there other than Dancing with the Stars? I know Alaska is good with princess and I think HAL, is there any other intenerarys HAL is good for?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What kind of activities do you like to do when you are cruising? I believe I saw in an earlier post you would like to do New England/Canada and European cruises. Though I have never been on those cruises, HAL does offer them.

We're more into having a good time, but not drinking our faces off and about good food, learning, but my DW is sick of sailing to the caribbean right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I, too, worried the first time I booked HAL that I might find it a bit "restrained".

Instead, I found the best part of cruising with HAL is the passengers, including the very "senior". Most are experienced, sophisticated travelers who have lived amazing lives. If you love great conversation, HAL is for you!

I do believe that the thread title was a bit on the snarky side. That said, the crowd on HAL does skew a bit to mature side. That doesn't mean that the place shuts down at 8 or that the passengers are exclusively 70 and over. On my last HAL cruise I saw as many strollers as I saw wheelchairs/walkers. Each cruise line will have something to offer that appeals to a particular demographic. Simple generalizations about wheelchairs and wet t-shirt contests don't help anyone.

I would agree with this, but they do have buckets of beer on HAL. I have enjoyed a few with friends in the Cabana Club area on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

While it's true that "buckets" with bottles of beer are sold on HAL, my impression is that on Carnival they drink FROM the bucket.

Agree with Lizzie. You've obviously never been on a Carnival cruise.

Roz

Heheheeee .... been there ... done that :D

We found the most interesting part the rousing cheer they gave every night when the dining room door opened!!!:eek::eek: