Please tell me why I should spend $2k more for Azamara

dateacher

I can't see your post that English Tim is replying to, and nor can I see the question I posted yesterday to ask English Tim what his Seabourn cruise bargain is. It seems to have disappeared, yet there seems to be a reply because a "repo" cruise is mentioned. Anyhow, you're right that I haven't done a review of our Royal Clipper cruise, nor for our more recent Fred Olsen 4 nighter. I must make an effort.

No my post seems to have disappeared. Not sure why as it was not at all controversial. I was just saying how much I enjoyed Excited of Harpendens splendid reviews.

Anyway I do agree with Haworth's post,

Would be interested to know if you enjoyed Royal Clipper. Starclippers board is so quiet.

The other question to consider, as well as the real per day cost is how long is the ship in port compared to others and where is the Azamara ship likely to be docked.

For example, Celebrity will be a shuttle ride away (time and money usually $12 per head) in Barcelona, Azamara will be right at the bottom of Las Ramblas.

Are you on a ship that is tendering, if so, Azamara, no tender tickets, it is walk to the tender gangway when you want, larger ship, tender tickets and delays of up to two hours in some European ports - all eats into how long you have in port.

Personally, I have looked around at other cruise lines and Ive found nothing that fits our own needs other than Celebrity (for Alaska, New England etc where Azamara do not yet sail) otherwise it is still Azamara - perhaps because we do not want a bargain basement room and have to commit to cruises some time ahead so cannot wait for the firesales on some of the less attractive itineraries

Thanks for a great discussion to help with my original question. It's interesting and expected to see various opinions.

For example, the poster who had trouble with the HAL air conditioning. I have sailed twice on HAL (Alaska and Caribbean) and never realized there was an a/c issue. (Both trips were in the last six months).

After doing some more comparisons, there is a 20% difference in price between Celebrity and Azamara. With the perks Celebrity is now offering, I am perfectly happy being on a "mass market" ship to save that money. I can afford the difference but to refer to another poster, when I can shop and get what I want at Loehmanns(RIP), why go to Nordstrom?

The other question to consider, as well as the real per day cost is how long is the ship in port compared to others and where is the Azamara ship likely to be docked.

For example, Celebrity will be a shuttle ride away (time and money usually $12 per head) in Barcelona, Azamara will be right at the bottom of Las Ramblas.

Are you on a ship that is tendering, if so, Azamara, no tender tickets, it is walk to the tender gangway when you want, larger ship, tender tickets and delays of up to two hours in some European ports - all eats into how long you have in port.

Personally, I have looked around at other cruise lines and Ive found nothing that fits our own needs other than Celebrity (for Alaska, New England etc where Azamara do not yet sail) otherwise it is still Azamara - perhaps because we do not want a bargain basement room and have to commit to cruises some time ahead so cannot wait for the firesales on some of the less attractive itineraries

Oceania Regatta to Alaska. With right itinerary and TA perks, price can come close to lines like Princess, Celebrity, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for a great discussion to help with my original question. It's interesting and expected to see various opinions.

For example, the poster who had trouble with the HAL air conditioning. I have sailed twice on HAL (Alaska and Caribbean) and never realized there was an a/c issue. (Both trips were in the last six months).

After doing some more comparisons, there is a 20% difference in price between Celebrity and Azamara. With the perks Celebrity is now offering, I am perfectly happy being on a "mass market" ship to save that money. I can afford the difference but to refer to another poster, when I can shop and get what I want at Loehmanns(RIP), why go to Nordstrom?

Why Nordstrom's? Though not widely publicized, Nordstrom's will match any advertised price on the same item and, of course, wrap it for free. They take returns with no hassles and sales clerks are authorized to make a variety of adjustments without needing to consult with a manager.

Why Nordstrom's? Though not widely publicized, Nordstrom's will match any advertised price on the same item and, of course, wrap it for free. They take returns with no hassles and sales clerks are authorized to make a variety of adjustments without needing to consult with a manager.

It was just to show the difference between getting something retail and something possibly at a discount. and by the way, I don't teach math so my savings is more like 40%.

It was just to show the difference between getting something retail and something possibly at a discount. and by the way, I don't teach math so my savings is more like 40%.

You should consult with a top producing TA for premium lines like Oceania or Azamara. We did Alaska this past summer and, with air credit, O perks including gratuities, price drop, included amenities (e.g., specialty restaurants, beverages, etc.), refund for special deal with TA (after final payment!) and significant TA OBC, per diem price for veranda matched Celebrity while providing better food, service, etc.

I like both Azamara and Celebrity. I sail on both lines. Azamara and Celebrity have been growing closer together in price and services. Azamara used to have an edge on being upscale with great service with fabulous food. Celebrity food is excellent. Azamara food on my last cruise was a step down from previous cruises. Entertainment on Celebrity is usually better than Azamara. Azamara is small. It is especially nice to go to small ports that the larger ships cannot reach. Azamara has no crowds. Azamara is quiet. Celebrity can be crowded and loud. Cabins on Celebrity S class are superior to veranda cabins on Azamara. I pick cruises based on destination. Azamara says that you will love where they take you. I hate crowds. For me, Azamara in a European setting is best. For a relaxing cruise with little port interest, Celebrity is best. I try to avoid Celebrity if they sail to ports that require tendering. Decide what features work for you, compare prices, and then book.

I've sailed HAL 3 times, Azamara twice and Celebrity many times. My favorite cruises of these three lines were British Open cruise on the Quest, Athens to Istanbul on the HAL Ryndam and HNL to Auckland on the Celebrity Millenium. We were in suites on The Ryndam and the Millenium. My least favorite cruises among these lines were a HAL Canadian Cruise, Quest Caribbean cruise and the Celebrity Summitt to Bermuda. We were in a suite on the Quest and balconies on the other ships.

Favorite ship from these five was the Ryndam.

My favorite cruise experience was the Haven on the Breakaway to Bermuda.

i probably wouldn't spend an extra $2000 for Azamara if the itinerary was the same as Celebrity. I think Cunard, Princess, RCCL, Azamara, Hal, NCL, and Celebrity are about the same. Each ship/ cruise has things I love and things I dislike.

Has anybody on here, besides Mrs M, been on other lines to offer a true comparison?

Oceania but both review well.

Yes, why do you ask? Do you think somehow the facts we present are not valid for some reason?

Has anybody on here, besides Mrs M, been on other lines to offer a true comparison?

Oceania but both review well.

Yes, but nothing directly comparable to Azamara in terms of both price and cost. Comparable in price only (as on board costs are so high), we've sailed on QM2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. Otherwise, in 2014, as well as Azamara Quest, we also tried Fred Olsen's Boudicca, Thomson Dream and Royal Clipper. We liked them all for various reasons, but all had one or more drawbacks, as with all holidays. Previously we've sailed on P&O Ventura and both Ocean Village ships. If price was no issue, our first choice would be Azamara, followed by Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth, as we love the space on board. P&O (for the Caribbean) and Thomson win on direct charter flight arrangements. For me, as a veggie, Thomson and Cunard win on food, with Fred a close second. Thomson win on entertainment. Royal Clipper is a great experience. There is no "best". It's what suits each individual. Maybe different types of ship, and/or holiday, appeal at different times too.

Hi Wacktie,

Our first cruise was on Island Escape followed by Ocean Village, (the cruise for people who don't like cruising was I believe their advertising strap line) we then moved to cruise and stay with Thomson (great idea one week on the beach in Majorca and Corfu as well as a 7 day cruise). Then lots of RCCL (with teenager) Princess, and 3 Azamara then Royal Clipper and Oceania.

We have never had a bad cruise. In some ways would like to try Thomson again but bit worried about the cabins. We had one great 'Linda Barker suite" but sure they don't exist anymore.

I would love to go back to Azamara but the itineraries and increased cost, compared with what we paid previously, are putting me off.

Liked Oceania Riviera and would like to try their R Class. Booked on Viking Ocean for 2016. Looking for a September 2014 West Mediterranean cruise but having difficulty finding one. Going to the Excel cruise show this weekend.

I would mention that I love reading the Azamara site, and I thought that everyone was much nicer and funnier than those on the Oceania site. However not sure this remains completely true.

Pam

We have cruised on many lines and ships, large and small, and enjoy the different lines and ships for their own particular charms. We recently attained 4 Star Mariner status on HAL, but have switched over to booking Celebrity and Azamara because of the persistent air conditioning problems that we have encountered on HAL, in particular, their cost saving habit of switching off the airflow to cabins during the night. We can forgive all the other cutbacks and we enjoy the food, service and ambience on HAL very much, but we NEED air to breath at night.

My personal opinion is that it is worth paying more for a 'luxury' ship when there are lots of days at sea, during which to enjoy the ship, but why pay extra for a port intensive cruise when you will be spending most of your time ashore or asleep (unless it is HAL and you cannot sleep for want of air!)?

Sorry to go OT, but where did you hear or learn that HAL shuts off the air at night? I am interested because we cruise with all three lines, HAL, Celebrity and Azamara and did have a problem on Veendam with no aircon working when we were in Panama. I think this problem will go away as their older ships are for Sale and they have new ones debuting (but not if they shut the air off on purpose which is hard to believe).

In some ways would like to try Thomson again but bit worried about the cabins. We had one great 'Linda Barker suite" but sure they don't exist anymore./QUOTE]

Sorry to digress from the topic .....We had an Outside Plus cabin on Dream and were initially upset because it was dirty - dust everywhere. The ship also felt dark and airless generally. The non-arrival of our luggage before we sailed from Barbados exacerbated our view. We had to go to dinner in the clothes we'd been in since way before dawn. When the luggage arrived, half of the contents were soaked through. A bad start. To be honest, had we had our luggage before sailing, we may have jumped ship and gone to a hotel for a week. Thankfully we couldn't. The next day we came to love the ship - nothing specific, just good food, friendly fellow passengers, excellent onboard staff, great entertainment and a very clean cabin later that day. Anyhow, despite having a window rather than a balcony (which we prefer now), the cabin was large and well decorated with the wallpaper that I recall seeing as "Linda Barker" years ago, a huge 3 seater sofa, plus a full size bath with shower over. At the top of Dream, there are 6 very large suites with balconies. I went up there before disembarking and the steward let me into the one he was cleaning to take photos. One huge advantage of Thomson (over Azamara) is that they let you stay on the ship until your flight time so, in the Caribbean, you are on there for lunch. I do dislike the "goodbye" on Azamara at 08.30 on the last day, even if the return flight is in the evening and booked as part of their package.

I totally agree with many of Mrs Miggins points

Like many others on this board we have had a wide ranging cruise experience, over the last 4/5 years we have settled on cruising with Celebrity, Azamara and Seabourn, each has strengths, all have excellent loyalty schemes and each has historically been placed in a clear market segment although those boundaries are becoming blurred.

All the cruise companies are trying to raise prices whilst at the same filling cabins/suites in a competitive market, we have I believe been spoilt over the last few years with relatively low pricing from almost all lines and that pricing remains a “mental benchmark” for many of us.

Having now retired we are more flexible in our choice of when, where and who we cruise with and currently because of a combination of pricing and itineraries the only cruise we have booked is one of the Celebrity Constellation voyages out of Abu Dhabi as in our view it represented value for money and a new and interesting itinerary.

We will have a holiday late autumn this year and can book an all inclusive 4/5 star for two weeks in Gran Canaria or Lanzarote for around £3,000 with flights etc included, the question therefore must be what price a cruise for some warm weather and relaxation at that time of year?

The competition for Azamara etc is not just other cruise lines.

Edited by Haworth

Yes, why do you ask? Do you think somehow the facts we present are not valid for some reason?

Clearly your opinion is as valid as anyone else.

The Op has been lucky to get a decent response and has much to chew over. The consensus seems to be that on a port intensive cruise it's not worth paying $2k more for the smaller ships of Azamara, when there are many other vfm options. However, if service is more important than budget, Azamara are very popular, as they are for access to smaller ports, overnight stays, etc.

I think it important to remember that Cruise Critic was set up to enable all to have their say. It's a shame that when some suggest that the particular line that the specific forum refers is less than perfect, others think their opinion is less valid.

Mods, Is there a forum where all lines can be discussed and compared?

The consensus seems to be that on a port intensive cruise it's not worth paying $2k more for the smaller ships of Azamara, when there are many other vfm options. However, if service is more important than budget, Azamara are very popular, as they are for access to smaller ports, overnight stays, etc.

?

As is the norm on this board, surely there was no "consensus".

Indeed, in my opinion, a majority who directly addressed the comparison posed in the OP's question thought that there might well be a good reason to pay the difference, or that the difference in cost between Celebrity and Azamara might not be as great as it seemed.

However, I think the OP nailed it in the original comment "everyone has different opinions and tastes".

The consensus seems to be that on a port intensive cruise it's not worth paying $2k more for the smaller ships of Azamara, when there are many other vfm options.

????? Certainly not a unanimous consensus.

"The Op has been lucky to get a decent response and has much to chew over. The consensus seems to be that on a port intensive cruise it's not worth paying $2k more for the smaller ships of Azamara, when there are many other vfm options."

Just the opposite, the AZ ship is smaller and can usually dock rather than tender. So advantage to AZ with port intensive cruises.

"The Op has been lucky to get a decent response and has much to chew over. The consensus seems to be that on a port intensive cruise it's not worth paying $2k more for the smaller ships of Azamara, when there are many other vfm options."

Just the opposite, the AZ ship is smaller and can usually dock rather than tender. So advantage to AZ with port intensive cruises.

I have been fortunate enough to take many Mediterranean cruises and my experience is the opposite. Usually, ports are either tender or dock, whatever size of ship.

Sorry to go OT, but where did you hear or learn that HAL shuts off the air at night? I am interested because we cruise with all three lines, HAL, Celebrity and Azamara and did have a problem on Veendam with no aircon working when we were in Panama. I think this problem will go away as their older ships are for Sale and they have new ones debuting (but not if they shut the air off on purpose which is hard to believe).

Personal experience! It is not only on board the old ships, but the new ones too. We sailed regularly on HAL for 11 years and had occasional A/C problems. Only in the last 3 years did we start experiencing this problem and it was on every sailing. Our last HAL cruise was on the Oosterdam, a newer ship, upon which we had sailed several times without problem, but yet again, we experienced the same thing. We awoke at about 2 or 3 in the morning in a hot, stuffy and airless cabin, feeling like we could not breath properly. At about 5 or 6 am, we could feel the airflow suddenly return. Complaining did no good. They deny the problem.

Now, I cannot prove this theory to anyone, but it is our strong belief that this is what is happening. I have shared our experiences on the HAL board and many others have come forward saying that they too, have experienced this. One chap posted from the Nieuw Amsterdam saying that he was experiencing this every night. Most people seem not to be sensitive to the problem. If they are not, there is no problem for them. One lady said that she had awoken every night feeling like this, but her husband just slept through it, quite unaware of what was happening. If we were not sensitive to this, we would still be happily cruising with HAL as 4 Star Mariners!

This CC news article just strengthened my belief that this was a fuel saving and hence, cost cutting exercise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6012

Except for say Seabourn (204, 450 pax ships), Silversea (~450 pax ships) or Windstar which offer smaller ships that can get into even smaller ports. Also when it comes to dock rather than tender most ports would rather the bigger ships dock (more money for them) instead of the smaller ones.