Star's Dry Dock in Portland, Oregon

calex

That could be just wishful thinking on their part :D

I thought it was interesting that they off load the crew before shoving her into the dry dock.

Remember that the main purpose of using the Dry Dock is for exterior items like pod maintenance and putting a new slick paint coat on the hull below the waterline.

I will bet that before they left LA they had all of the interior workers and materials on board and have already started the process. Access to the ship will probably be limited while she is up on blocks. Also the interior workers will have an extra 6 days to do their work.

While this is happening in my back yard - my next cruise is in late 2016 on her sister - the Dawn - who is also heading for a dry dock next spring.

That could be just wishful thinking on their part :D

I thought it was interesting that they off load the crew before shoving her into the dry dock.

Remember that the main purpose of using the Dry Dock is for exterior items like pod maintenance and putting a new slick paint coat on the hull below the waterline.

I will bet that before they left LA they had all of the interior workers and materials on board and have already started the process. Access to the ship will probably be limited while she is up on blocks. Also the interior workers will have an extra 6 days to do their work.

While this is happening in my back yard - my next cruise is in late 2016 on her sister - the Dawn - who is also heading for a dry dock next spring.

Not sure that I read anything about offloading the crew before docking. The lifeboats and tenders are sent off with some crew to secure them in the yard. The boats will get emptied, cleaned and waxed. The main reason for offloading the boats is to allow maintenance and weight testing of the davits and wires that hoist/lower the boats.

Carpet renewal is part of any shipyard period for cruise ships, its just a question of how much.

While most of the sub-contractors joined in LA, in order to start work, the sheer volume of materials required means that most of it will be staged to Vigor. There were probably quite a few dumpsters placed on the pool deck and running track, which are probably quite full now, and ready to go off the ship.

The crew will be allowed to come and go as their work schedule allows. The shipyard has lanes marked along their roads where crew can walk without needing hard hats, etc, on the way to/from the gate.

Things that would have been started on the trip would be:

Stripping linens from cabins, staging mattresses scheduled for renewal to I-95.

Stacking furniture from cabins due carpet renewal in other cabins

Carpet removal

Start on routing seams and starting to sand teak decking

Stripping and structural demolition of the restaurant venues getting changed, as required.

Taking in all balcony furniture and pool deck furniture for storage

And a few myriad other things that will come back to me in a few hours :D

We may have to drive to Portland from Seattle to get a glimpse of our Star. We've been on her 4 times and LOVE that ship - more than any other. I really miss that she doesn't come into Seattle anymore.

PDX is only about 165 miles south of us. Now to talk DH into a little drive....

Went to Kelley Point Park where the Columbia and Willamette Rivers meet and watched the Star come in to Portland. It was a beautiful day - sunny and upper 50's. First, here is a picture of our beautiful Mt. Hood. Not as much snow as usual because we've (sorry) had a fairly dry and warm winter.

Great pictures! Do you mind if I use a couple of them as my background pictures on my computer? We're on the Star in November.

Great pictures! Do you mind if I use a couple of them as my background pictures on my computer? We're on the Star in November.

Thank you for asking - you are welcome to use them. Enjoy your cruise - we are also Star lovers.... and Sun lovers and Getaway lovers :))

Nice TV report. And the first confirmation that they will fix the dent. Now if someone would just say something about the clouded-over double pane windows in the deck 12 forward suites.:confused:

Edited by old sole

Yeah, I hope the Portland sleuths can get some info on that as well. We're in one of those cabins this September.

How bad are the windows?

Best place to get "insider" info on drydock repairs is to find the closest WalMart to the shipyard and look for likely crewmembers. ;)

By chance, we were in Portland on the evening on the Star's arrival and got a good glimpse of her off NW Kittridge Avenue and the off the bluff at University of Portland.

From the south off Kittridge Avenue:

Star_Kittridge_zpsh7rkswxb.jpg

The Stack:

Star_Stack_zpsx7amktq2.jpg

I'm in an SJ in November also what is wrong with the windows?

Some of the cabins have one or more windows where the seal between the double panes has allowed moisture inside resulting in discoloration between the panes. This cannot be cleaned either from the inside or the outside, the windows need to be replaced.

Here is one thread that discusses the issue and has information about some of the cabin numbers affected. There is a picture in post #23 of that thread that shows what they are talking about.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127333&highlight=12008

Best place to get "insider" info on drydock repairs is to find the closest WalMart to the shipyard and look for likely crewmembers. ;)

What a great idea I would be willing to do it if someone would gift me airline tickets and a hotel LOL I asked my DH about flying up and looking at her and he said, "Yeh right". Hmm is that DH speak for no? ;)

When I saw the thread title it made me wonder if her “Bermuda bump” would finally be gone. As another poster said, it’s not impacting her seaworthiness but it still is a constant reminder of what happened to her for those of us who know. I sailed on her one year ago and I was surprised her dent was still there. I definitely think a drydock would be needed to fix it but with all the activity in that section of the ship with changing the bearings on the azipods I’m wondering if they will fix it. :cool:

We sailed on the Star in January and the word from the captain and others with whom we had dinner was that the bump is being repaired.