Stormy weather!

hardydog

Oh dear, oh dear, the old "cruise ship" not "liner" chestnut. I do wonder how many of those views come from people who actually have a valid comparison experience rather than just a deep prejudice.

I only have one TA experience to base my views on and it was in a cabin at the very rear of QE where we did get a bit of up and down. But here's the thing.......... there was a hurricane on the way back so the captain sensibly took a very northerly route and we hardly felt a bump. QM2 was a couple of days behind us leaving Quebec and ploughed through it back to NYC. Reports on the forum were of people and inanimate objects being thrown all over the place. I'm hard pushed to understand the attraction of being on a liner that can brave seas a mere cruise ship would avoid.

Unless a force 9 on the Atlantic is in someway massively different to a force 9 in the Bay of Biscay, then I can assure the OP that even a creaky old P&O ship copes just fine. Been there, done that. More than once.

Give me a lowly cruise ship any day.

Oh dear, oh dear, the old "cruise ship" not "liner" chestnut. I do wonder how many of those views come from people who actually have a valid comparison experience rather than just a deep prejudice.

I only have one TA experience to base my views on and it was in a cabin at the very rear of QE where we did get a bit of up and down. But here's the thing.......... there was a hurricane on the way back so the captain sensibly took a very northerly route and we hardly felt a bump. QM2 was a couple of days behind us leaving Quebec and ploughed through it back to NYC. Reports on the forum were of people and inanimate objects being thrown all over the place. I'm hard pushed to understand the attraction of being on a liner that can brave seas a mere cruise ship would avoid.

Unless a force 9 on the Atlantic is in someway massively different to a force 9 in the Bay of Biscay, then I can assure the OP that even a creaky old P&O ship copes just fine. Been there, done that. More than once.

Give me a lowly cruise ship any day.

Um, the difference is that the ocean liner can brave the rough seas due to her hull design / construction than a cruise ship can. Ever do 26 knots on force 10-12 seas? QE2 and QM2 can do that.

Ever get hit on the bow with an almost 100' high rogue wave? QE2 did that, and Cunard didn't bother to replace the dented bow beck plating for over a year.

When mother nature strikes, I'll take the liner any day over your lowly cruise ship, which you aptly described! :D

I know they're coming from different directions, but note that QM2's arrival into Southampton is on schedule while QE is delayed.

I generally ride in a forward cabin and the difference between Mary and her sisters is notable particularly in fore-aft pitch.

Will be sailing on the Queen Elizabeth this Saturday (10th Jan). Trans Atlantic to New York then on to Fort Lauderdale. Weather forecast looks frightening. Anyone done this crossing in these conditions. Google weather for Saturday and Sunday are gale 8 to 9 rising to storm 10 with high/ rough sea. I am quite a good 'sailor' but not been out in this sort of weather . Hardydog

I've done many transatlantics on QM2 and one on QV in January 2011 and under similar conditions as they are now. There was not much info from the bridge unfortunately, and I had 3 noisy nights with little sleep. However, ship and captain and his crew did a great job and all went well. No worries, Cunard's ships are unbeatable. Bon voyage!

JE SUIS CHARLIE

All QE passengers to make their way to St Mary's Stadium. Stadium Address: St Mary’s Stadium, Britannia Road, Southampton, SO14 5FP (north-east side of the city centre) and then buses to the Ocean Terminal by 6pm it seems. Departure at 10pm. Open seating in the restaurants first night.

"A message from Angus Struthers, Director, Cunard Line, regarding Queen Elizabeth's arrival on Saturday 10 January 2015.

We will continue to update this page with the latest information.

As promised yesterday, I want to give you an update on Queen Elizabeth’s arrival tomorrow.

Based on the current weather forecast, we are planning on Queen Elizabeth being alongside in Southampton at around 3.30pm tomorrow (Saturday 10 January), once the strong winds have subsided and we can dock safely.

As a result, we do not expect to begin embarkation until early evening and are planning to sail at around 10.00pm. I am sorry for the delay to the start of your holiday and we will do everything possible to get you on board as soon as we can.

I would therefore ask you to delay your arrival into Southampton on Saturday if at all possible to minimise the time you have to wait for embarkation. Rather than proceeding to the cruise terminal, I would ask all passengers to make their way directly to the nearby St Mary’s Stadium (location details at the bottom of this email) to alleviate congestion at Ocean Terminal and provide more comfortable facilities.

On arrival at St Mary’s Stadium we will collect your baggage from you and transfer it directly to the terminal. Complimentary food, drinks, and entertainment will be provided in their hospitality suites and Cunard staff will be present to provide you with the latest information. Once Queen Elizabeth is alongside and disembarkation has been completed, then we will transfer you to the Ocean Terminal for check in and boarding. We would ask that all passengers arrive at St Mary’s Stadium by 6.00pm.

If you are booked to travel to Southampton on a Cunard arranged coach or transfer then you will be automatically taken to the St Mary’s Stadium, pick up times for these services have not changed.

We will be providing updates as required to this page and our Facebook and Twitter pages will also be updated regularly. Should you have any questions or concerns then you should call our Contact Centre on +44 (0)2380 65 7055.

This wasn’t the start to our World Cruise that I had envisioned but we will of course make every effort to board everyone as soon as the weather allows and in the meantime make the experience as comfortable as possible.

Lastly I would like to take the opportunity of wishing you a wonderful cruise on board Queen Elizabeth.

Yours sincerely

Angus Struthers

Director, Cunard Line"

"I cannot change my arrival time, where should I go?"

Rather than proceeding to the cruise terminal, please make your way directly to the nearby St Mary’s Stadium (location details above) to alleviate congestion at Ocean Terminal, provide more comfortable facilities, refreshments and entertainment

"What time will Queen Elizabeth arrive into Southampton?"

Estimated to arrive 3.30pm

"What time will Queen Elizabeth depart Southampton?"

Estimated to depart 10pm

"How will I get to Queen Elizabeth once I am at St. Mary's Stadium?"

Once check in can begin, passengers without their own transportation will be taken from St. Mary's Stadium to Ocean Terminal by bus. All passengers who have their own transportation should make their way to the Ocean Terminal

"I am arriving by coach, what will happen?"

Your coach will arrive into Southampton as scheduled, you will be taken directly to St. Mary's stadium. You will then be taken to Ocean Terminal once check in begins by bus

"Can I stay at the Ocean Terminal until you are ready to embark?"

We advise you to make your way to St. Mary's Stadium where refreshments and entertainment will be available

"I have been dropped off at the Ocean Terminal, how do I get to St. Mary's Stadium?"

There will be transfers available to take passengers to St. Mary's Stadium until 6pm

"When will check in begin?"

As soon as possible

"Where should I go when I arrive at St. Mary's Stadium?"

You will be greeted by a Cunard representative

"I have arranged car parking at the Ocean Terminal, what should I do?"

Please make your way to Ocean Terminal, you will be met by Cruise & Passenger Services who will take your car, you will then be transferred to St. Mary's Stadium until check in begins

"What should I do with my luggage?"

As soon as possible (sic)

"When will check in begin?"

Upon arrival we will collect your baggage from you and transfer it directly to the terminal

"What entertainment will be available?"

A five piece jazz band, close up magician and a five piece contemporary oompah band

"What refreshments will be available?"

Sandwich buffet, tea, coffee and soft drinks

"Will you be able to cater for my dietary requirements?"

Yes, please see one of the Cunard representative

"Will there be accessible transportation?"

Yes

"What time will dinner be served on board?"

There will be an open sitting in the Britannia, Princess Grill and Queen's Grill restaurants and also the Lido restaurant from embarkation

"I have a dinner reservation, what will happen?"

We will move your reservation to another evening of your choice. Subject to availability. Please speak to the Pursers desk once on board

Hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn

From what Pepperrn reports, it sounds like Cunard are on the ball and have a good plan in place.

With a detailed explanation like the one copied above which is being disseminated on the company website and through the various social media, no one can complain about a lack of information.

Having worked in PR during my professional career, I can say confidently that bad information or, worse yet, no information, arguably would engender of storm than what Mother Nature is currently whipping up in the English Channel.

All QE passengers to make their way to St Mary's Stadium. Stadium Address: St Mary’s Stadium, Britannia Road, Southampton, SO14 5FP (north-east side of the city centre) and then buses to the Ocean Terminal by 6pm it seems. Departure at 10pm. Open seating in the restaurants first night.

Hope this helps.

Wow.....wishing all who are boarding the best wishes for a great trip..whether its a short hop across the ditch or the full world. What an adventurous way to start your adventure but I have to say it looks as though Cunard are doing their best under the circumstances. I hope everyone keeps a sense of humour and adventure...

good luck...fair winds and smooth sailing...(oops)

Although I am sad to miss 6+ hours onboard, my thoughts are with those people disembarking who have had to alter at the last minute their arrangements home.

Cunard had letters for us in the lobby of the hotel explaining the changes. I can't imagine what went into arranging a venue, food and transportation for somewhere around 1900 people at the last minute. So far I have nothing but praise for their actions. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

According to AIS, Queen Elizabeth is currently (0755) off the area between Eastbourne and Brighton, making 10 knots.

Interestingly she is currently showing ETA at Southampton as 1230.

I'll be at Hythe awaiting her arrival at whatever time she shows up :) .

Edited by pepperrn

According to AIS, Queen Elizabeth is currently (0755) off the area between Eastbourne and Brighton, making 10 knots.

Interestingly she is currently showing ETA at Southampton as 1230.

I'll be at Hythe awaiting her arrival at whatever time she shows up :) .

eta given is almost certainly as is usually the case for the pilot station at the Nab assuming pilot can board

Although I am sad to miss 6+ hours onboard, my thoughts are with those people disembarking who have had to alter at the last minute their arrangements home.

Cunard had letters for us in the lobby of the hotel explaining the changes. I can't imagine what went into arranging a venue, food and transportation for somewhere around 1900 people at the last minute. So far I have nothing but praise for their actions. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Just curious, I wonder if there will be some arriving on QE today transferring to QM2. That could be interesting.

Wishing you and all the others on board a wonderful voyage.

Roy

The seas are rough but QE is handling it very well. We're heading straight into the wind so presume that's what has slowed us. Having a great 'extra' time on board.

Feeling really sorry for those with delayed embarkation and for those on board whose travel arrangements are shot.

Still on track for 3.30pm arrival apparently.

They said QM2 will wait as long as possible.

Edited by Mumsysailor

I posted earlier in this thread of a boarding problem 13 months ago when, because of the weather, it became to dangerous to board passengers. Only a few hundred got on board (including my family) before suspension, and apparently utter mayhem ensued in the holding area in the terminal before boarding in the evening commenced again. At that time it was said the conditions deteriorated unexpectedly for the worst weather in Southampton for some 16 years or so. Many those of you from the UK will remember the storms of last winter.

Reading this thread, and seeing Cunard's plan I think they have done admirably well as has been mentioned already, even 36 hours hours notice is not a lot to organise so many with this complexity.

I think this goes to prove that Cunard does care, and takes action if at all possible. Perhaps some of the one-time posters on this site who whinge that Cunard does nothing for passengers once they have the money, will take head at these arrangements (if they can be bothered to log-in again to this site).

Hope you all have a great time no matter how long you are on the QE for.

Just curious, I wonder if there will be some arriving on QE today transferring to QM2. That could be interesting.

Wishing you and all the others on board a wonderful voyage.

Roy

Hi, Roy!

My guess is that QM2 will sail a little late if there are many transferring from QE. QE is still due in about 3:30. Might take awhile to move the people and luggage if there are a lot.

They have told us we will be taken from the stadium about 6pm. We are in sponsor boxes (10 in mine) with food and drink. Free wi-fi and newspapers. Entertainment later. Lounge down the hall with TVs.

Kathi

QE is just making her way up Southampton Water now so looks good for being docked at 3.30.

I am sure there will be a lot of people on board who are not sure how they are getting home tonight.

It's been a bit of a bouncy ride, but not as bad as I expected (stateroom at the stern of the ship). We've been kept fairly well informed and the opportunity for an extra lunch couldn't be missed. Not sure how we'll get north of London tonight and just been informed it's snowing at home. Wish we were staying on board

Announcement just made.

Pilot aboard QE

ETA still 3:30

Disembarkation expected to begin at 4pm and be completed by 6pm.

Transfers from the stadium to QE to begin directly after disembarkation complete.

Just docking now. Won't be long and you'll be on your way.

Have a great trip and I hope the weather is calmer for you.

Looking forward to your blog.