All things Avalon Paris to Normandy

YoungDubFan

Another question, for those that took the Honfleur tour. How long is the bus ride, and how long was the tour itself? I presume it's a walking tour. We've walked around Honfleur and had a great time just on our own, but I presume the tour would make sure to include artists' homes and other historic spots. Just not sure why I would need a tour.

(Funny anecdote: we were on a Regent Seven Seas ship, in port for the day. Our friends also went off on their own and happened on a boat tour of the harbour and environs. It was a Saturday so there were plenty of local, French tourists. As they passed our ship, the announcer pointed out the ship and said that only rich people could take such cruises. We all that was very funny. Yes, Regent is upscale, but none of us are rich!)

The Farewell Dinner is held on the second last night so that the Moulin Rouge, etc. tours can take place on the last night aboard. The first night's dinner is labeled "Embarkation Dinner", with "Dress code: smart casual, long trousers for the gentlemen." Have a great cruise!

Thank you, Gene, that helps us understand our choices. We can't wait for our spring trip.

Another question, for those that took the Honfleur tour. How long is the bus ride, and how long was the tour itself? I presume it's a walking tour. We've walked around Honfleur and had a great time just on our own, but I presume the tour would make sure to include artists' homes and other historic spots. Just not sure why I would need a tour.

(Funny anecdote: we were on a Regent Seven Seas ship, in port for the day. Our friends also went off on their own and happened on a boat tour of the harbour and environs. It was a Saturday so there were plenty of local, French tourists. As they passed our ship, the announcer pointed out the ship and said that only rich people could take such cruises. We all that was very funny. Yes, Regent is upscale, but none of us are rich!)

I can't remember how long the bus ride was. We didn't see homes, more like the history of Honfleur The tour was maybe an hour and then you had free time. You don't really need a tour but they have to give you your money's worth.

I think the bus ride was an hour at most, shorter than the ride to the Normandy beaches, and very scenic. Our tour was maybe an hour and a half, mostly describing the history of the town. We did visit the wooden church, which was quite interesting. We had an excellent guide who knew her history and was very animated in her dialogue. After the tour we had about an hour to ourselves. We wandered through some shops and had a beer at a bistro overlooking the harbor. I thought the trip was well worth it.

We are looking for hotel options near the dock that Avalon uses. I see the Pullman mentioned - are there otehrs?

Can you pay for a seperate transfer to the ship from Pullman if you don't book the hotel through them? Anyone know the cost of a transfer?

Thanks.

We are looking for hotel options near the dock that Avalon uses. I see the Pullman mentioned - are there otehrs?

Can you pay for a seperate transfer to the ship from Pullman if you don't book the hotel through them? Anyone know the cost of a transfer?

Thanks.

Avalon does not charge you to transfer from the ship from the meeting hotel. I wouldn't recommend the Pullman. It is a business/convention hotel. It is located in the business district of Paris, not one of the many charming neighborhoods. What we did was take a cab to the Pullman from our small hotel. It was not expensive perhaps 10 Euros. Also if you wish you can sign up for the optional Eiffel Tower tour that leaves from the Pullman and then brings you directly to the ship. We stayed at the Hotel Vernueil but there are dozens of wonderful options depending on your preferences

I agree with Got2Cruise; I wouldn't stay at the Pullman. There are so many wonderful hotels in Paris to choose from with more character and in more interesting neighborhoods. We were in Paris for 3 nights before the cruise, and stayed at the Vic Eiffel Hotel. Great little hotel with all newly refurbished rooms and beautiful new baths, just across the street from the Metro. We checked out the morning of the cruise and took a 5 minute taxi ride to the Pullman. Checked in with the cruise director, dropped off our luggage, then had lunch at a nearby bistro and did some shopping, then went back to the hotel to take the Eiffel Tower tour. Great tour and nice to meet fellow travelers before boarding the boat. Those not taking the tour just had to check in with the CD by 3 p.m. and were bussed to the boat at no charge.

Just poppin in again to see if there are any questions I can contribute to the answers!

Actually, I also agree with the responses of those that have been. Thought maybe the question on an "extra"cost of Commonwealth beaches tour might be a bit confusing? There is NO EXTRA COST to take a Beaches tour. You can choose the option you want as included in your voyage price: US or Commonwealth tour.

Honfleur was worth the 11/2 hour bus ride to us. And it was our 2nd time there! It is a walking tour, includes some artist houses, but not inside the houses. It was very crowded in October too. There are different activity and length levels to the included tours, so you sign up for what you feel fits. They were very good at accommodating each of us.

We stayed at the Pullman because it was our 3rd time in Paris, and was so convenient for the included Avalon transfer. Our CD was there on the morning of the xfer, with a room for everyone to meet/wait in with coffee, juice and tea. It is not a "charming" area, if you are wanting to see what most tourists are expecting when they see Paris for the first time, (there are stores and restaurants tho),but if you are looking for a nice hotel with convenience for the cruise, it fits the requirements.

The Captain stopped the ship on the return leg in view of the dancing lights of the Eiffel Tower. That was a sight not to be missed; and it seemed that we could reach out and touch it!

• 1 month later...

We leave in less than 90 days. Avalon has published the optional excursions for our trip & we have signed up for some. There is also a nice description of the tours for the days when there is a choice and you can sign up online for these as well as the optional excursions. We are still trying to decide what we are doing on the day we arrive since we are going in 1 day early. We are leaning towards going to Versailles on our own but the hop on/ hop off bus also is a possibility. I'm getting excited!

Just found out that Versailles isn't an option for out pre-cruise day as its a Monday & Versailles is closed on Mondays. We may lean towards the HOHO bus. We can decide how long to tour & return to the hotel when we get tired.

We did the Avalon Versailles tour last September. I hesitated to take the tour because it was in the afternoon and I knew it would be horribly crowded. But we didn't want to miss Versailles and couldn't fit it in during our pre-cruise stay. In the end, we were glad that we took the tour. Yes, it was mobbed, but the tour group was able to bypass the lines to get in and our tour guide was very adept at moving us through the crowds while giving a running commentary on what we were seeing. You may find it less crowded going in May.

Earlier in the day we took the tour of Malmaison, Napoleon's home outside Paris. It provided quite a contrast to Versailles; much smaller but still beautiful. We were the first to arrive and finished the tour before it became crowded. Our tour guide was one of the best we've ever had. He had a great sense of humor and made the tour quite lively; he was approached by others outside our group asking if he gave private tours!

Kathyk13,

Thanks so much for your post about the Versailles tour. I had heard it was crowded in the afternoon so was reluctant to do it with Avalon. It fits in our schedule much better to do it with the group so this is good information.

Wow--found this thread by accident! super info and suggestions, too. We are traveling with another couple on this itinerary aboard Avalon's Tapestry II in May 2017 and have already started to get excited this far out, especially after reading them comments on this thread. We had some questions about the Normandy Beaches tour and are considering booking a separate tour so we can max our exposure to as many sights as possible. Not sure though whether the added expense is worth it as some of the brief reviews we have seen (including on this thread) are pretty favorable about Avalon's beaches tours. Would really appreciate hearing more from you experienced folks, as YoungDubFan has requested. Hope those of you with your cruise still pending in the coming months have a wonderful time!

We leave in less than 90 days. Avalon has published the optional excursions for our trip & we have signed up for some. There is also a nice description of the tours for the days when there is a choice and you can sign up online for these as well as the optional excursions. We are still trying to decide what we are doing on the day we arrive since we are going in 1 day early. We are leaning towards going to Versailles on our own but the hop on/ hop off bus also is a possibility. I'm getting excited!

Have you considered a Seine boat tour? There are also hop on hop off boats along the Seine near the major attractions

• 3 weeks later...

Hubby and I are booked for the Paris to Normandy cruise in May 2016. We're arriving a day early and plan to do the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe on our solo day, then the Notre Dame tour and hopefully the Lourve on our own on the last day. I've already got the tickets for the Eiffel but I'm going to wait on the Lourve to see how the day plays out. Im so excited to see Monet's gardens and the Normandy beaches. Crossing my fingers for good weather and safe travels.

We have the afternoon free in Rouen and I'm thinking of exploring the shops on the Rue eau de Robec. I'm assuming they're not part of the guided walk? And also that the shops will be open on a Saturday afternoon?

First off, for the cost of airfare and the cruise I would staying in Paris at least three nights. That is unless you and mom have seen Paris before. What does being 75 have to do with it? Me and wife are 75 and planning a AMA Rhone cruise with three night Barcelonan before the cruise and three nights in Paris after. This will be our third visit to Paris and still have not seem everything.

Just take all the included tours and you will cover all the high points.

Hi everyone!

We'd originally planned to take a Viking cruise up the Seine--but then found out their only ships that do the Paris/Normandy itinerary actually dock in Pecque, a good ways out from city center, instead of by the Eiffel Tower as advertised... Supposedly that's due to the size of the longships and presented by Viking as a last-minute change (but for every cruise!).

Logistically that's a deal breaker for us, so we found the Creativity and the Tapestry II! Woohoo! We prefer the Tapestry as the cabins are 30sq feet larger than the Creativity's. But again, the docking issue is a question. Have confirmed via these threads that Creativity docks by the Eiffel Tower.

Since Tapestry is just new this spring, have not been able to find out where Tapestry docks. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Okay, so we know that the transfer from the airport is $200--yikes! (unless you get a deal). But the way it seems to work (this is from Avalon & my TA):

Pax are met at the airport and shuttled to the Hotel Pullman Montparnasse. They have day rooms until 3-ish, when EVERYONE then boards a shuttle to the ship and they ALL board at the same time. Dropped at the airport after the cruise.

Apparently you can get the transfer days early (as we may plan to do).. If you go to their hotel, it's $345 per night, PER PERSON. that's laughable to us; have found many other reasonable & lovely places.

Cannot confirm that they will take you elsewhere (say to the Metro or another hotel). But not a problem; we can certainly make our way on from the HPM.

But here's my main question: Can you meet them at their hotel before boarding the shuttle to the ship, as part of the cruise fee? That is, not a prepaid airport-hotel transfer? Or if you choose not to do the transfer, do you simply make your own way to the ship to board? Thanks again!

Okay, so we know that the transfer from the airport is $200--yikes! (unless you get a deal). But the way it seems to work (this is from Avalon & my TA):

Pax are met at the airport and shuttled to the Hotel Pullman Montparnasse. They have day rooms until 3-ish, when EVERYONE then boards a shuttle to the ship and they ALL board at the same time. Dropped at the airport after the cruise.

Apparently you can get the transfer days early (as we may plan to do).. If you go to their hotel, it's $345 per night, PER PERSON. that's laughable to us; have found many other reasonable & lovely places.

Cannot confirm that they will take you elsewhere (say to the Metro or another hotel). But not a problem; we can certainly make our way on from the HPM.

But here's my main question: Can you meet them at their hotel before boarding the shuttle to the ship, as part of the cruise fee? That is, not a prepaid airport-hotel transfer? Or if you choose not to do the transfer, do you simply make your own way to the ship to board? Thanks again!

We did this cruise a year ago, with Uniworld. Since we arrived 2 days early, the complimentary transfer from the airport wasn't available to us. I secured a private transfer, through SuperShuttle, for 70 euros, total, for the two of us. It was provided by a company called Green Tomato Cars, the gentleman was waiting for us in baggage claim, and drove the car up to meet us. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

As far as accommodations, we stayed at the Hotel Da Vinci, and couldn't have been more pleased. We were very centrally located, and could either walk, or metro, to the common sights. On the day of departure, the front desk arranged a taxi to the "port", which was about 20 euros, total. I recall the Avalon ship very near the Uniworld one.

Now, as far as Avalon goes......we leave in a month for a Danube cruise, and just received our cruise documents yesterday. I will only assume they handle things the same way throughout Europe. We have made pre-cruise independent travel arrangements, and will already be in Vienna. Avalon has instructed us to meet at the "meeting point hotel" to check in with the cruise director and hospitality desk personnel. The cruise director "will provide a transfer free of charge from the meeting point hotel to the ship by 3:30 at the latest". It goes on to say that no one will be allowed to board prior to 4:00, for security reasons.

The late onboard time is different for us, as we were able to board Uniworld much earlier than that. I'd say this is in response to the recent bombing in Belgium, but our documents were printed prior to that.

Hope this helps.

Robin