All things Avalon Paris to Normandy

YoungDubFan

Okay, so we know that the transfer from the airport is $200--yikes! (unless you get a deal). But the way it seems to work (this is from Avalon & my TA):

Pax are met at the airport and shuttled to the Hotel Pullman Montparnasse. They have day rooms until 3-ish, when EVERYONE then boards a shuttle to the ship and they ALL board at the same time. Dropped at the airport after the cruise.

Apparently you can get the transfer days early (as we may plan to do).. If you go to their hotel, it's $345 per night, PER PERSON. that's laughable to us; have found many other reasonable & lovely places.

Cannot confirm that they will take you elsewhere (say to the Metro or another hotel). But not a problem; we can certainly make our way on from the HPM.

But here's my main question: Can you meet them at their hotel before boarding the shuttle to the ship, as part of the cruise fee? That is, not a prepaid airport-hotel transfer? Or if you choose not to do the transfer, do you simply make your own way to the ship to board? Thanks again!

I wouldn't bother using their shuttle to the HPM, especially if you aren't staying there. There are other airport shuttles that can take you to whatever hotel you choose, for much lower price. Or take the subway! My husband worked in Munich for a few days, so we took the train Paris then used the Metro to get to our hotel. We had 3 days in Paris pre-cruise. The day we were to embark we took a short taxi ride to the Pullman, signed in with Avalon, and dropped off our luggage. Then went out to lunch and did some shopping before returning for the Eiffel Tower tour at 1:30. There was another shuttle leaving the hotel at 3:30 for those who didn't take the tour and I'm pretty sure there was no charge.

I wouldn't bother using their shuttle to the HPM, especially if you aren't staying there. There are other airport shuttles that can take you to whatever hotel you choose, for much lower price. Or take the subway! My husband worked in Munich for a few days, so we took the train Paris then used the Metro to get to our hotel. We had 3 days in Paris pre-cruise. The day we were to embark we took a short taxi ride to the Pullman, signed in with Avalon, and dropped off our luggage. Then went out to lunch and did some shopping before returning for the Eiffel Tower tour at 1:30. There was another shuttle leaving the hotel at 3:30 for those who didn't take the tour and I'm pretty sure there was no charge.

Perfect information--thanks so much!

We did this cruise a year ago, with Uniworld. Since we arrived 2 days early, the complimentary transfer from the airport wasn't available to us. I secured a private transfer, through SuperShuttle, for 70 euros, total, for the two of us. It was provided by a company called Green Tomato Cars, the gentleman was waiting for us in baggage claim, and drove the car up to meet us. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

As far as accommodations, we stayed at the Hotel Da Vinci, and couldn't have been more pleased. We were very centrally located, and could either walk, or metro, to the common sights. On the day of departure, the front desk arranged a taxi to the "port", which was about 20 euros, total. I recall the Avalon ship very near the Uniworld one.

Now, as far as Avalon goes......we leave in a month for a Danube cruise, and just received our cruise documents yesterday. I will only assume they handle things the same way throughout Europe. We have made pre-cruise independent travel arrangements, and will already be in Vienna. Avalon has instructed us to meet at the "meeting point hotel" to check in with the cruise director and hospitality desk personnel. The cruise director "will provide a transfer free of charge from the meeting point hotel to the ship by 3:30 at the latest". It goes on to say that no one will be allowed to board prior to 4:00, for security reasons.

The late onboard time is different for us, as we were able to board Uniworld much earlier than that. I'd say this is in response to the recent bombing in Belgium, but our documents were printed prior to that.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Appreciate the detailed advice--thank you!

We were informed of the late boarding time when we booked directly with Avalon several months ago so I don't think it has much to do with recent security measures. Also, the early de-boarding.

The boarding and de-boarding on our many Viking cruises have been a real plus. We've been able to board in the morning and wait in the lounge till rooms are ready. There is a light buffet lunch in the lounge. This is wonderful when you have had an early flight or must check out of a hotel and are still jet-lagged. The same goes when leaving. As long as you are out of your cabin (by 9:30 I think) you can stay in the lounge making it much easier to coordinate with travel plans.

I've also spoken with Avalon about the fact that they are not offering the Eiffel Tower tour on the day of boarding. They confirmed that it is not offered this year and said simply that the itinerary folks change things from time to time. We were disappointed as we were planning to take this option. This too predates the newest security concerns.

We're excited about our first cruise with Avalon and hoping that these are the only glitches. A big deciding factor for us was that Avalon is still docking downtown Paris which can be a wonderful experience.

We were informed of the late boarding time when we booked directly with Avalon several months ago so I don't think it has much to do with recent security measures. Also, the early de-boarding.

The boarding and de-boarding on our many Viking cruises have been a real plus. We've been able to board in the morning and wait in the lounge till rooms are ready. There is a light buffet lunch in the lounge. This is wonderful when you have had an early flight or must check out of a hotel and are still jet-lagged. The same goes when leaving. As long as you are out of your cabin (by 9:30 I think) you can stay in the lounge making it much easier to coordinate with travel plans.

I've also spoken with Avalon about the fact that they are not offering the Eiffel Tower tour on the day of boarding. They confirmed that it is not offered this year and said simply that the itinerary folks change things from time to time. We were disappointed as we were planning to take this option. This too predates the newest security concerns.

We're excited about our first cruise with Avalon and hoping that these are the only glitches. A big deciding factor for us was that Avalon is still docking downtown Paris which can be a wonderful experience.

The Eiffel Tower is an easy, and pretty, walk from where the boats are. It was the highlight of our trip. We made reservations on our own. Dropped off our luggage, and off we went. I believe we had 2pm tickets, and were back on board by 4. We made reservations on the Eiffel Tower website.

Robin

If you want a tour of the Eiffel Tower you can book them independently. Trip Advisor (our sister company) should have recommendations, as does Rick Steves. We used Fat Tire Tours and had a great experience [despite their name, no bikes were harmed (or even used) in the taking of this tour!] -- when we arrived at their office (late) the tour had already left, so a woman sprinted with us to catch up with them! They used Quiet Voxes, and we found that the guide really added a lot (and I was able to take lots of photos from every angle while listening to her.

If you want a tour of the Eiffel Tower you can book them independently. Trip Advisor (our sister company) should have recommendations, as does Rick Steves. We used Fat Tire Tours and had a great experience [despite their name, no bikes were harmed (or even used) in the taking of this tour!] -- when we arrived at their office (late) the tour had already left, so a woman sprinted with us to catch up with them! They used Quiet Voxes, and we found that the guide really added a lot (and I was able to take lots of photos from every angle while listening to her.

We took the Bike Tour when it was still Mike's Bike Tours almost 15 years ago (still have the tee shirt and it still fits ;)). Had a really good time - not too energetic and it was a lovely pace to be able to see the sites and chat to fellow bikers as we cycled around. Nice way to pass an afternoon ...

Yes, you can meet at the hotel for transfer to the ship. That's the way Avalon does things. Don't get there too early unless you wish to take the Eiffel Tower tour.

The Eiffel Tower is an easy, and pretty, walk from where the boats are. It was the highlight of our trip. We made reservations on our own. Dropped off our luggage, and off we went. I believe we had 2pm tickets, and were back on board by 4. We made reservations on the Eiffel Tower website.

Robin

That is exactly what we did just a couple days ago. It was a half hour walk (1 1/2 miles) on flat terrain or just one stop on RER. We checked in on the ship just after 10, unpacked and walked to the Tower grabbing a bite to eat on the way.

The trick is to get tickets in advance.

That is exactly what we did just a couple days ago. It was a half hour walk (1 1/2 miles) on flat terrain or just one stop on RER. We checked in on the ship just after 10, unpacked and walked to the Tower grabbing a bite to eat on the way.

The trick is to get tickets in advance.

I'm confused. Avalon has told us we can't get on the ship till 4pm. How did you check in on the ship in the morning?

I'm confused. Avalon has told us we can't get on the ship till 4pm. How did you check in on the ship in the morning?

My bad, I gave general Paris info. We were on GCT. Guess they aren't as bad as some would have you believe. ;) :p :cool:

People departing have to be out of the cabin breakfast time, and many depart early for early flights. They schedule cabin redo according to the flight schedules for folks coming in.

Is Avalon the company that gathers everyone at a hotel, then buses everybody to the ship at once, or is that someone else?

If that's the case, other posters speak of dropping off luggage at the gathering hotel, then going off for the day.

Is Avalon the company that gathers everyone at a hotel, then buses everybody to the ship at once, or is that someone else?

If that's the case, other posters speak of dropping off luggage at the gathering hotel, then going off for the day.

I'm not sure about dropping off luggage if you aren't part of the pre-cruise folks staying at the hotel since they aren't offering the Eiffel tour beforehand.

We always go 2-3 days early to adjust to jet lag as the time difference is large from the west coast and as a hedge for delayed flights, etc. It's well worth it for us and we pick a more conveniently located hotel for the sightseeing we wish to do.

Arriving on a flight the day the cruise leaves town would be nerve-racking as we've seen folks with delayed flights on every one of our seven cruises. Weather, equipment problems, etc. can happen no matter who you book with. On this itinerary Avalon cuts it closer than many lines because they don't have an extra night in port at the beginning for those who need to catch up. Of course, this cruise doesn't cover too much territory so it is possible to catch up with the boat but it's a hassle and expense we wish to avoid. We realize that not everyone has this option with their schedules.

I'm not sure about dropping off luggage if you aren't part of the pre-cruise folks staying at the hotel since they aren't offering the Eiffel tour beforehand.

We always go 2-3 days early to adjust to jet lag as the time difference is large from the west coast and as a hedge for delayed flights, etc. It's well worth it for us and we pick a more conveniently located hotel for the sightseeing we wish to do.

Arriving on a flight the day the cruise leaves town would be nerve-racking as we've seen folks with delayed flights on every one of our seven cruises. Weather, equipment problems, etc. can happen no matter who you book with. On this itinerary Avalon cuts it closer than many lines because they don't have an extra night in port at the beginning for those who need to catch up. Of course, this cruise doesn't cover too much territory so it is possible to catch up with the boat but it's a hassle and expense we wish to avoid. We realize that not everyone has this option with their schedules.

Yes. You can drop off the luggage. They take your luggage to transfer it to the ship. That is the way Avalon does things. Not everyone has a flexible schedule and can take extra time off.

• 1 month later...

I'm at the airport waiting to board my first flight. I may try to post along the way but that depends on the wifi. Unfortunately my mom who was supposed to come with me woke up not feeling well. She got checked out & it's probably a sinus infection but she decided not to chance it & come on the trip. Luckily we have travel insurance so she should get a full refund. Doesn't help that it is a holiday weekend so she can't file a claim until Tuesday.

I'm at the airport waiting to board my first flight. I may try to post along the way but that depends on the wifi. Unfortunately my mom who was supposed to come with me woke up not feeling well. She got checked out & it's probably a sinus infection but she decided not to chance it & come on the trip. Luckily we have travel insurance so she should get a full refund. Doesn't help that it is a holiday weekend so she can't file a claim until Tuesday.

Bon Voyage. You will love it! Too bad about your mom.

Had a great flight to Paris but didn't sleep mush. It took over 1 hour to get from the airport to the hotel. Luckily my room was ready at check in. Freshened up a bit then took the hop on hop off bus tour. 33€ for one day pass. It rained all day so this was a good option to see a lot of the city. There was a stop that was less than a 10 min walk from the Paris Pullman Montparnasse hotel. I went up to Montmartre & toured Sacre Coeur. Beautiful.then made my way around the city & back to the hotel. Had wonderful crepes at a cute restaurant near the hotel.

Had a great flight to Paris but didn't sleep mush. It took over 1 hour to get from the airport to the hotel. Luckily my room was ready at check in. Freshened up a bit then took the hop on hop off bus tour. 33€ for one day pass. It rained all day so this was a good option to see a lot of the city. There was a stop that was less than a 10 min walk from the Paris Pullman Montparnasse hotel. I went up to Montmartre & toured Sacre Coeur. Beautiful.then made my way around the city & back to the hotel. Had wonderful crepes at a cute restaurant near the hotel.

How exciting. Please share more about the crepe place. :)

The restaurant where I had crepes is called Maine Bratissiere. It was about 2-3 blocks from the hotel.

We have high water on the seine & can't dock in Les Andelys this afternoon. We are sailing straight through to Caudebec this afternoon. We will try to dock in Les Andelys on Saturday on the return to Paris.

I saw Monet's gardens this morning & they were very pretty.

We have a pastry demonstration on the ship this afternoon.

The restaurant where I had crepes is called Maine Bratissiere. It was about 2-3 blocks from the hotel.

We have high water on the seine & can't dock in Les Andelys this afternoon. We are sailing straight through to Caudebec this afternoon. We will try to dock in Les Andelys on Saturday on the return to Paris.

I saw Monet's gardens this morning & they were very pretty.

We have a pastry demonstration on the ship this afternoon.

Have you heard anything about the next cruise out? Avalon is not telling us anything.

The Seine is now closed. We can't sail any further towards Paris than Rouen. We will operate Saturday as scheduled in Rouen& spend the night docked in Rouen. On Sunday we will bus to Conflans for our scheduled excursions. Then Sunday night we will bus to Paris & stay in a hotel at the Arc de Triomphe for 2 nights. Most of the itinerary will proceed as planned. We are not able to do Versailles & will get a refund. They are including the scenic Paris drive by night for free. I would think the next cruise may stay in a hotel in Paris & depending on the river may embark in Rouen or farther upstream. Sorry I don't have more info. Avalon will take care of everything. Try to go with the flow.