What's the Dining Drill/Grand Princess???

Jaddy

We have always cruised Celebrity, never Princess. Just signed up for the March 4 Hawaii cruise of Grand Princess. How does dining work? It looks like there are two main restaurants. I told TA to sign us up for Select Dining and to request tables for two. Can we go to either restaurant? What is the difference between the two? Do they feature the same menu?

What does it cost to go to the specialty restaurants? Are they worth the upcharge?

Are there any other dining tips a Princess newbie should know about?

BTW, I tried to get info on the Princess website but it was very uninforming.

Also, the Celebrity board has a search engine on the first page. There doesn't seem to be one on this board. Is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks for you help.

We have always cruised Celebrity, never Princess. Just signed up for the March 4 Hawaii cruise of Grand Princess. How does dining work? It looks like there are two main restaurants. I told TA to sign us up for Select Dining and to request tables for two. Can we go to either restaurant? What is the difference between the two? Do they feature the same menu?

What does it cost to go to the specialty restaurants? Are they worth the upcharge?

Also, the Celebrity board has a search engine on the first page. There doesn't seem to be one on this board. Is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks for you help.

I'll try to answer some of your questions. For main dining there is traditional and anytime. You sign up for one or the other. If traditional you request early or late seating. Requests are not guaranteed. Upon boarding you are assigned a dining room and time. If you do anytime there is one dining room that is always anytime and another that is traditional for first seating and then anytime after about 7:30 pm. Anytime is just that. You go anytime. The menu is the same for all the dining rooms.

If you don't want to eat in the main dining room (MDR) you can go upstairs to the Horizon Court which is the buffet. I believe it is open til about 11 pm. There are two specialty restaurants that cost $25/person. Sabattinis and also the Crown Grill. crown grill is a steakhouse and seafood place and Sabattinis is I believe Italian. I have eaten in Crown Grill and it is fantastic.

At the top of my screen is a "search cruise critic" box. I usually don't have the best of luck with it as it searches all of cruise critic not just Princess. I also usually get old threads. Might be a better way but I don't know it :(

Hope this helps.

Edited by dickinson

There are actually three dining room. There will be one dining room for Traditional dining and one for Anytime plus one that may be split for early traditional and then go to anytime. Not sure what Select is..

For Anytime, you can select table type as you go. For traditional, your request will be considered and you can verify with the MaitreD on day one if important.

There are two specialty dining venues - Crown Grill (steaks), Sabatinis (Italian). $25 each, per person, value is in the eye of the beholder.

Check out the Grand's dining page for casual options..

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/ap/amenities_publicrooms/personal_choice_dining/

I told TA to sign us up for Select Dining and to request tables for two.

Unlike Celebrity Select Dining, Anytime Dining on Princess does not allow you to make reservations prior to sailing for a time and table size for each night . And once onboard, the ability to make reservations for Anytime Dining could be (1) not at all; (2) only for certain early or late times [before 5:45 or after 8:00]; or (3) whenever you ask--but this often requires a personal conversation with the maitre d'. No way to predict what each individual cruise's reservation policy will be before boarding. If you require a table for two every night it will likely involve either a bit of a wait should you want to show up at whichever different time suits you each night, or possibly asking for a standing reservation time for every night.

What I can assure you is that you will receive the same quality of service whichever time and location you choose each night. Princess Anytime Dining often turns out to be more well paced (especially if just the two of you) than their fixed seatings--unlike my one experience with Celebrity Select which featured 90 minute waits between starters and entrees several nights.

Edited by fishywood

The dining room on Deck 5 (Michelangeo) mid ships is usually Anytime Dining. The one on Deck 6 ( Da Vinci)is the one that splits. The one aft (Botticelli) is usually only traditional.

Yes all MDR's have the same menu. The Horizon court usually has some of the same MDR items . There also might be the Crab Shack some nights in part ofthe Horizon Court

One thing that might be confusing compared to Celebrity is that Princess dining rooms are just one story. They are not two story so if you see a dining room on deck 6 mid-ship and one on deck 5, they are separate dining rooms, not two levels of the same dining room.

Dress code and menu is the same in all dining rooms.

Some additional information:

You need to know if you have Anytime Dining or Traditional Fixed Seating. You can view this in the Cruise Personalizer under booking summary on the Princess website. Tarditional Fixed seating is just what it says, same table, same DR, same waiter each evening. Anytime dining opens about 5:30pm. Reservations can be made by calling the DINE Line once on board. It is more difficult to obtain seating earlier in the evening.Tables to share are also easier to get than tables for two. If you like to dine after 7:30pm it should be very easy. One MDR is open for breakfast each day, usually DaVinci on Deck 6, and it is open for lunch on sea days only.

Reservations for surcharge dining can only be made on board, call the DINE line or visit the restaurant. Surcharge dining choices include:

Crown Grill (steak, chops, seafood), Sabatini's (Italian) $25pp

Crab Shack (buckets of shell fish and other sea food) held a few evenings in a closed off section of the buffet seating area, $20pp

Chef's Table, for real food lovers, I believe the cost is $95pp. Held at a special table in one of the DR's. Call the DINE line on the first day to reserve.

Ultimate Balcony Dining: Room service dinner or breakfast, $100/couple dinner, $32/couple breakfast

Other free dining includes:

Pub Lunch: in the Crown Grill on certain sea days, menu varies

Alfredo's: Individual Pizzas, open from 11am until 11pm, waiter service

Vines: Plates of sushi or tapas with the purchase of any drink

Horizon Ct. buffet: Open continuously from 6am to 11pm or midnight

Trident Grill: Open 11am to 11pm

Prego Pizza: Open 11am to 11pm, Pizza by the slice

Room Service

International Cafe: Open 24 hours, paninis, soups, salads, some hot dishes, desserts, cont. breakfast items, overnight snacks. A very popular area especially for breakfast and lunch.

Hope this information is useful.

We have always cruised Celebrity, never Princess. <snip>

Thanks for you help.

Hi - in order to search the Princess Forum, you need to be logged into your account.

You should see a blue bar above the first Announcement:

Cruise Forum : Princess Cruises

At the far right of that blue bar is a box for Search this Forum. Click on that to get the box where your search terms can be typed.

Hope this is helpful and enjoy your cruise. We like Celebrity and we've really enjoyed our Princess cruises.

Hi - in order to search the Princess Forum, you need to be logged into your account.

You should see a blue bar above the first Announcement:

Cruise Forum : Princess Cruises

At the far right of that blue bar is a box for Search this Forum. Click on that to get the box where your search terms can be typed.

Google is my "best friend." :) Works every time.

If you want to eat at either of the specialty restaurants, make reservations as soon as possible on embarkation day. We met several people last week on our cruise who complained about not being able to get reservations for the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. We were fortunate to eat at both. I'd recommend the Crown Grill over Sabatini's. We also had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. It's a wonderful experience. We waited to do it the last night of our cruise (since that was DH's birthday). Next time we do it, we'll make it earlier in the cruise even if it means not celebrating an occasion on the actual date.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for you help.

Have you signed up for the Grand Princess Roll Call for March 4, on cruise critic? I think there are 38 members, which means at least 76 of us are meeting online before the cruise. We have a meet and greet planned for 3/5, a slot pull, an anniversary/birthday celebration, a cabin crawl and a farewell lunch. Some of the members are meeting the night before we embark at the Crowne Plaza hotel where the out of towers are staying. Join the roll call; we're a fun group, and we'll teach you all you want to know at the meet and greet! Happy sailing!

Thanks for you help.

The princess website has all the answers to your questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually' date=' there is plenty of info about dining on board Princess. Here's a good link to start with: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/ (which Loonbeam gave in his post), but also look for the words "Dining Options and Hours" to get the link to an informative PDF.[/quote']

@Cruisin' Chick Thank-you for the link. It was very informative for a Princess Cruise newbie like myself. Can you tell me if at the Horizon Buffet, you get your food and then look for a table, or are you provided a table upon entering Horizon?

@Cruisin' Chick Thank-you for the link. It was very informative for a Princess Cruise newbie like myself. Can you tell me if at the Horizon Buffet, you get your food and then look for a table, or are you provided a table upon entering Horizon?
The buffet is open seating. It's open from 6am-11pm without closing with a full range of food options. Tables are always set with tableware, cups and glasses throughout the day. Also always available is tableside beverage service: coffee, tea, milk, juices, etc. in the morning; iced tea, lemonade, coffee, etc. the rest of the day. Soda and alcohol service is also always available tableside. In the evening, wine service is added. You can buy a bottle of wine or have your bottle retrieved from storage.

Unlike Celebrity, you don't have to go get your beverage nor search for tableware. There will probably be at least one or two servers at your table within a minute or so of sitting down.

We find a table first then go get the food. ;)

You can do either.

Just bring something (pouch, drink, etc.) to throw on the table as you enter the buffet area & it'll reserve your table while you get the food.

If you want to eat at either of the specialty restaurants, make reservations as soon as possible on embarkation day. We met several people last week on our cruise who complained about not being able to get reservations for the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. We were fortunate to eat at both. I'd recommend the Crown Grill over Sabatini's. We also had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. It's a wonderful experience. We waited to do it the last night of our cruise (since that was DH's birthday). Next time we do it, we'll make it earlier in the cruise even if it means not celebrating an occasion on the actual date.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is our favorite. Not only great service and delicious food, but a photo, cocktail, flowers and champagne.