Statendam - take electric toothbrush or not?

mouseterd1

First time on HAL ship.

Is there a convenient electric plug in in inside cabin bathrooms on the Statendam for a electric toothbrush. Cruise is for 30 nights. I love my electric toothbrush, if possible and not too much a hassel. Or, go manual? :confused:

thanks

First time on HAL ship.

Is there a convenient electric plug in in inside cabin bathrooms on the Statendam for a electric toothbrush. Cruise is for 30 nights. I love my electric toothbrush, if possible and not too much a hassel. Or, go manual? :confused:

thanks

We use disposable battery powered electric tooth brushes. They run on AA size. Two AA batteries will last for the whole month. These things only cost a few dollars.

The bathroom will have an outlet suitable for a toothbrush, but on some ships it is close to the ceiling and a toothbrush with a short cord won't work. (I haven't been on the Statendam in 7 years and don't know whether the bathrooms have been updated since then.) Bring a short extension cord just in case.

Edited by catl331

I take my Electric toothbrush on all our cruises & also pack an extra heavy duty power bar to charge it up at the desk if required.. We take two toothbrushes with different heads & one charger, which I use on our long haul cruises..

Most times one toothbrush will last few weeks to a month but always want to be prepared..

The bathroom will have an outlet suitable for a toothbrush, but on some ships it is close to the ceiling and a toothbrush with a short cord won't work. (I haven't been on the Statendam in 7 years and don't know whether the bathrooms have been updated since then.) Bring a short extension cord just in case.

The close to the ceiling plug on the Statendam is why I take a battery powered toothbrush. Mine takes 2 AA and they last 2 weeks. I look extra batteries, easy.

It was a good alternative to the hassle of packing some extra things like extension cords, chargers, power bars!

Oral B has a disposable, I think Pulsar, that lasts a couple of months. By the time the battery quits, it's time to change anyway. We take one and a spare each. It seems like we picked up a package of them at Costco.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oral B has a disposable, I think Pulsar, that lasts a couple of months. By the time the battery quits, it's time to change anyway. We take one and a spare each. It seems like we picked up a package of them at Costco.

Second this. Between phones, iDevices, etc., there are so many cords and chargers to deal with that we always go with the self-contained AA battery toothbrushes. Last an amazingly long time.

I plug my sonicare in the outlet on the dressing table. I know it doesn't need to be continuously plugged in but it seems convenient to leave it plugged in when not in use. I've noticed sometimes the steward unplugs it. Doesn't matter but I wonder why.

I've noticed sometimes the steward unplugs it. Doesn't matter but I wonder why.

Sometimes my cabin steward unplugs my electric toothbrush to use the outlet for the vacuum cleaner, and he forgets to plug it back in when he's done.

Second this. Between phones, iDevices, etc., there are so many cords and chargers to deal with that we always go with the self-contained AA battery toothbrushes. Last an amazingly long time.

Do the battery operated ones pulse fast & work as well as the electric ones? If they do, next cruise I might try one instead of taking the charger..

Is there one brand which is considered to be the best brand?

Thanks

Edited by serendipity1499

Do the battery operated ones pulse fast & work as well as the electric ones? If they do, next cruise I might try one instead of taking the charger..

Thanks

Mine does. In fact I like it better than the electric ones. I am allowed to say Oral B? (I hope so).

There is a suggestion to bring a short extension cord. May I suggest that the bathroom on a cruise ship is no place for an extension cord! Or any other bathroom for that matter. Accidents happen.

We always bring our electric toothbrushes along with an extension cord. I am too short to reach the outlet in the bath so charge them overnight at the desk. Plus not sure if the bath outlet is a breaker (would assume it is but...) Our toothbrushes only need charging about once a week but we still bring a regular toothbrush just in case. We only use the desk outlet and bring a short extension cord with a multiple plug head to be able to charge more than 1 thing and some things, like my camera's battery charger, sometimes do not fit into the slightly recessed outlet. You can also get power strips from the front desk if you go as soon as you board as then do run out of these.

The combination hair dryer/electrical outlet that used to be on the wall in the bathroom, before the updating removed them, was great. Oh, not for drying hair, but the outlet was handy (and the dryer had its uses, too).

I don't know what "genius" :rolleyes: thought it was a good idea to put the outlet at ceiling level, but he (could NOT have been a woman) should be fired. It's impossible for short people to reach the outlet. If you can get someone to plug your toothbrush in for you, there's no place for it to stand---even the shelves are on the other side of the sink!

I need to plug in only two things, and manage with the deck outlets. But then I have to remember to grab my toothbrush on the way by.

Why can't things be easy???

Thanks

I like the Oral B I have, but each of us is different. I'd pick one up at a drugstore or grocery store and try it before your trip to see if it works for you. Some have replaceable batteries. Mine looks almost like a regular toothbrush and when the built in battery goes dead, I pitch it. So far, I've thrown them away before that because I wanted a new clean brush. I think they run at least a couple of months.

Thanks

There are two chargeable brands highly recommended by both my dentist and periodontist. One is the Phillips Sonicare (our personal favorite) which can be found at a discount in some stores like Costco. The other one are the higher end Oral B toothbrushes. Both are a bit pricy but they work well.

Hank

That is also my understanding but they are unlikely to loan either for use in the bathroom. I am not an electrical engineer but understand the problem is the grounding. On a ship you don't want to energize the metal structure but you don't have the same situation as on land.