Would appreciate info about embarking from Port of Miami

ItzRav

Greetings. We're going on our first cruise ever, the 14 night Southern Caribbean, on Eclipse, departing Jan. 18 from Miami. We'll be taking a taxi from a nearby hotel to the port. The only information we've been able to find on the Port of Miami itself is that it's on Dodge Island, 1015 N. America Way, and the Celebrity website says "pier 4 & 5." Is that where we should tell the taxi to go? Is there anything more specific than that? Will the taxi be able to let us off near the ship? Where do we go once we get there? Thanks very much for any information!

The port is very well marked for cars/taxis....just tell the driver you want the port of miami and the ship name. The taxi will take you directly to the baggage drop off for your ship.

BTW, the ships aren't exactly small and hidden....you should be able to spot your ship from a mile or so away :)

Edited by ghstudio

Greetings. We're going on our first cruise ever, the 14 night Southern Caribbean, on Eclipse, departing Jan. 18 from Miami. We'll be taking a taxi from a nearby hotel to the port. The only information we've been able to find on the Port of Miami itself is that it's on Dodge Island, 1015 N. America Way, and the Celebrity website says "pier 4 & 5." Is that where we should tell the taxi to go? Is there anything more specific than that? Will the taxi be able to let us off near the ship? Where do we go once we get there? Thanks very much for any information!

Congrats on your first cruise.

Be prepared for a new addiction to cruising.

We haven't sailed out of Miami but have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale many, many times.

You just tell the taxi driver the name of your ship and they all know where to go. Sunday mornings from Downtown Hotels in Miami there are probably a ton of people doing what you are.

Here's a hint - when you check in ask the guy who takes your luggage if there's a shuttle to the ship the next morning. We've saved a lot of money doing this! (Don't ask the Concierge, for some reason their transportation options tend to be much more expensive)

(We'll be on the Eclipse mid-February so hoping to do the same)

Congrats on your first cruise.

Be prepared for a new addiction to cruising.

We haven't sailed out of Miami but have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale many, many times.

Here's a hint - when you check in ask the guy who takes your luggage if there's a shuttle to the ship the next morning. We've saved a lot of money doing this! (Don't ask the Concierge, for some reason their transportation options tend to be much more

I actually disagree with this advice. On our last trip, the hotel was offering a shuttle and I believe it was about $15 per person. We asked about taking taxis and they said oh no, there will be no taxis available at that time to take you to the port. Luckily, we did not believe this and walked out of the hotel directly into a waiting taxi which took us to the port for about $10 total. There was no need to wait for a specific time or for the shuttle to fill up, etc. hotel shuttles are just a huge profit point for the hotels.

I actually disagree with this advice. On our last trip, the hotel was offering a shuttle and I believe it was about $15 per person. We asked about taking taxis and they said oh no, there will be no taxis available at that time to take you to the port. Luckily, we did not believe this and walked out of the hotel directly into a waiting taxi which took us to the port for about $10 total. There was no need to wait for a specific time or for the shuttle to fill up, etc. hotel shuttles are just a huge profit point for the hotels.

Cathy

Was this Miami?

As I said, all of our experience is with Fort Lauderdale.

(And we stay on the beach , which is a little further than the 17th street hotels)

If Miami is different that's good to know.

No, it was Fort Lauderdale.

I guess the best advice then would be to explore different options.

A taxi was $25 (we did it once) and the shuttle was $8/pp.

As I said, we stay on Fort Lauderdale Beach so it's further than the 17th street hotels.

To the OP - sorry for highjacking the thread. :o

It's a piece of cake. Call for a taxi at 10:45 and tell the driver you're going to the Port of Miami cruise terminal, and the name of the ship. You will be dropped off at the proper terminal where a porter will take your big bags, on which you will have attached your Celebrity baggage tags. If you didn't get tags, just tell him your cabin number and he'll hand prepare tags. Give him a $5 tip and follow his direction for the gate to check in. You should be on board within 30 minutes with a mimosa in your hands and a great adventure ahead of you. Enjoy.

Miami taxis use "zone fares".

I don't know cost of that short trip, but airport to dock is $30 including tip (if I remember right, $25 + $5 tip)

I would guess taxi from that close would be less than $10.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

From downtown hotels to the port the price for two on a shuttle/van is about the same as a cab (about $16). I find a cab much more convenient as you're on your own and not waiting for other passengers and sometimes other stops. Just make sure the cab driver doesn't try to pad his fare by taking the highway to the tunnel entrance to the port. Tell him to take the shorter, direct route.

I remember when we first started cruising .... I was so paranoid about all the details and making sure nothing went wrong.

We had a bad shuttle (super shuttle) experience, then tried cruisline transfers (OMG the wait for the bus to fill up) and then finally decided "let's try a cab". best move ever :D

Not to worry, just tell the cab where you are going - Port of Miami - name of ship; and they will get you there.

The problem with some shuttles is waiting for them to fill up - Radisson near Port Canaveral comes to mind. You can sit on that shuttle for 30 minutes waiting for it to fill and all the luggage to load.

When we sail out Miami or Everglades, we always use cab transportation. If Port Caneveral, we rent a car at MCO, then return it and get the car rental shuttle to the port.

I don't do the shared/included shuttles anymore for the same reasons so many mention. Unless you're staying far away from the port, you can typically get a cab for around $20. Money well spent in my opinion. To each his own.

Many hotels offer FREE shuttles to the port. Ask if yours does.

Can you give us a couple of examples of hotels that offer free shuttles to the Miami port? I know that a some hotels offer free shuttles from the airport to their hotel, but not to the port.

Thank you.

We used an airport shuttle a couple of years ago...found cheap room near airport at a la quinta, and they had an arranged shuttle.

it was ok, but it made me nervous that they unloaded bags from the trailer at each ship (while we sat in the van awaiting arrival at our ship)...it would have been easy for someone to grab the wrong bag out of the trailer.

Can you give us a couple of examples of hotels that offer free shuttles to the Miami port? I know that a some hotels offer free shuttles from the airport to their hotel, but not to the port.

Thank you.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites in Miami next month and have free shuttles from the airport and then the next day to the port. It was a "cruise" promotion on the hotel site but has since sold out. Also comes with free cooked to order hot breakfast, free wifi and complimentary cocktail reception. Not on the beach but we're only there one night so thought it a good deal. Glad I booked early!

It is actually rare to find a hotel that offers a free shuttle to the cruise ship. Sometimes there are bundled packages, but when you do the math these often cost more than purchasing the package options individually (or the options are of no value to us - for example, we are Diamond level on Hilton so already get a free breakfast so including that is meaningless for us). But it all depends of course - they could be a good deal for you. But in general, I would advise a taxi in most cases. Have also had bad luck with shuttles and generally find them more expensive.

Make sure you have a few dollars with give the baggage porter.Although they are not employed by the cruise companies you have to give them your luggage for it to get to the correct ship. Also make sure your luggage tags are attached, happy cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF CRUSING!

You will be fine, start destressing now! Ya hear ;)

The people that live in Miami has been handling cruise ship passengers for a very very long time, and everyone you come in contact with knows just where you need to go. Our 1st from there was in 1987.

The morning of your cruise, simply walk out the door of your Hotel, tell the bell man it is time to go crusing! There will be a line of cabs at beckon an call, all waiting to take folks to the ships! As on any given weekend they have 20,000 to 30,000 people, give or take a few:D, doing the same thing.

The cabie will know just where you need to be, so sit back, relax, and watch out the window as you get closer and see a line of 10,11,12, even up to 15 decks high, of ships all lined up like kids waiting for the bell to ring, so they can go out an play!

He will hand your bags to the porter, and he will then send them on their way to meet you later that evening in your cabin. You stroll thru the door and see all the wonderful people just waiting to get your papers in order, hand you your ship card and send you off to start your vacation!

Only one word of warning now````````:eek:

You do know that your vacation planning will be forever changed once you set foot on a cruise ship! Enjoy:D

I guess the best advice then would be to explore different options.

A taxi was $25 (we did it once) and the shuttle was $8/pp.

As I said, we stay on Fort Lauderdale Beach so it's further than the 17th street hotels.

To the OP - sorry for highjacking the thread. :o

I also have to pile-on to disagree with your advice about using the paid hotel shuttles. 99% of the time, they are a rip-off. And BTW, a taxi from any 17th street hotel near that north port entrance should have been only $15-$20 so someone gave you a bad estimate--probably the hotel? :rolleyes:

For both Port Everglades and Miami, taxis are MUCH faster and more convenient because there is less waiting for fixed pickup times and no stopping at all the other passenger's terminals! And they are almost always cheaper for three or more travelers. Even if there are only two of you, a taxi is perhaps just a few bucks more. Or if you don't want to spend more for all that convenience, find another couple (either the evening before, or find someone in the morning at breakfast or the lobby) to share the ride!

If did not find any hotels in Miami area offering free shuttle to port. Our last experience from Fort Lauderdale airport hotel to port Everglades all shuttles were about $10 a person but they where completely full for hours. Go the taxi way much better.

Remember to always enjoy your cruise, and don't sweat the small stuff.

In November we were on Reflection out of Miami. We had sailed out of Ft Lauderdale a number of times, but this was our first experience with the Port of Miami. We stayed at a hotel on Brickell Ave., and on embarkation day we just went to the hotel entrance where we tried to get a taxi. The taxis were very busy and we waited for awhile, but a limo came along and offered to take us and another couple to the port for $20 per couple. The hotel was close to the port, and we were there in minutes. If we had to do it again, I think we would have arranged transfers ahead of time. The Port of Miami signs were easy to follow, and we were onboard in a few minutes. The port was so much easier to navigate and more organized than Ft. Lauderdale.

Have a great cruise! You will love it.

Miami is an easy port. Taxi to the port is quick and easy. Forget shuttles unless they are free. Port is a short ride from the airport. I am flying in Sunday morning. See you on the ship. I took the same cruise last January. Best cruise ever. Relax and enjoy the cruise. I am getting excited. Hope you are excited too!