Random HAL Question

Ellura

Does HAL allow surge protectors/power strip in the cabins?

NO, BUT...You are allowed to bring an extension cord without surge protection. This is due to the fluctuating current on the ship.

You can always wait until you board the ship and ask for an extension cord from your Room Steward, the Front Desk or Neptune Lounge Concierge (if you are in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite). Availability may be very limited, so act fast:)

Some people have reported that their Power Cords were confiscated by Security from their checked luggage, so be warned........

Joanie

What about those plugs you plug in that have 3 available slots? Do they allow those. Turns one plug into 3.

My understanding is that as long as whatever device you are using does not contain a surge protector you are OK. I've used a plug and a short power strip, both without surge protectors, without any problem.

How many places are there in the cabin to plug in items like a laptop or phone charger?
It depends on the ship class and cabin class, and whether your devices can take 220/240 volts or just 110/115. And whether you have a plug adapter for the 220. Most cabins on the older ships (e.g. Veendam) have one 115v/220v combination outlet over the desk and the newer classes of ships (e.g. Westerdam) have two.

What about those plugs you plug in that have 3 available slots? Do they allow those. Turns one plug into 3.
yes Edited by catl331

We have taken and used a surge protector on several HAL ships -Maasdam, Zaandam and the Nieuw Amsterdam. I use it to plug my cpap into. I also bring an extension cord in case the outlet is far away and the cpap cord doesn't reach. Never been an issue for us.

We have taken and used a surge protector on several HAL ships -Maasdam, Zaandam and the Nieuw Amsterdam. I use it to plug my cpap into. I also bring an extension cord in case the outlet is far away and the cpap cord doesn't reach. Never been an issue for us.

Just because it wasn't taken away, or that no one said anything about it, does not mean it isn't an "issue" on the ship.

The problem has something to do with the ship not being a "ground", and a surge protector needs one.

You can find the same type of equipment (long cords with multiple outlets) that do not have a surge protector included. Those types are safe to use, and you should bring that to protect yourself, everyone else on the ship, and the ship itself.

We had not had a problem with our ungrounded extension cord for cpap machine until last year on the Statendam. It was confiscated via the naughty room and all the ship's cords had already been loaned. Our steward let my DH use his personal one, thank goodness. It seems that the rules vary; need to check with each ship, which we had done, and the ungrounded cord was still a no-no when actually aboard. :confused:

For our upcoming cruise, we'll contact Guest Services with a request for a cord; maybe that will solve the problem. It's frustrating enough when you want to use an extension cord for convenience, but when it's needed for medical reasons, it goes beyond frustration to concern.

LC

How many places are there in the cabin to plug in items like a laptop or phone charger?

Anker makes a five-position USB adapter (available on Amazon) that will only occupy a single A/C outlet on your power strip. It works great for tablets and phones that can charge via USB not only aboard ship but at home as well. With a separate European adapter, it will work on the 220V ships outlet and charge your USB items with the correct voltage.

Anker makes a five-position USB adapter (available on Amazon) that will only occupy a single A/C outlet on your power strip. It works great for tablets and phones that can charge via USB not only aboard ship but at home as well. With a separate European adapter, it will work on the 220V ships outlet and charge your USB items with the correct voltage.

THANK YOU so much for the info Crew News!

Does HAL allow surge protectors/power strip in the cabins?

Not surge protectors. Literature also says that only power strips from front desk are allowed but hubby has one in his CPAP case and it hasn't been confiscated nor has anything been said by cabin steward when it is used , probably because it does not have surge protector. Hubby is retired electrical contractor so knows the safest kind to use. It is just a power strip with three outlets so we can also charge cameras and/or cell phones. He also has extension cord in CPAP case since that is often needed. Sometimes we are able to use just the length of the power strip and don't need the extension cord.

Edited by NMLady

I think the major issue is the surge protector as I expect they get rid of any excess charge to ground. Unfortunately on a ship this is the hull and everything metallic that is connected to it. i.e you don't want to be touching your metal cabin door if the cabin next door decides to dump power into the 'ground'.

I stand to be corrected by the closest electrical engineer !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Never hsd been an issue with me either.

HAL has no plugs on the headboard and you need a long extension cord in order to plug in a CPAP machine. I also bring a surge protector with several outlets for various chargers (batteries, phones/computers iPad/Kindles/etc

There are only two 110W electric plugs and a 220W European plug in the cabin = as far as I have been able to discover - on the cabin desk.

Note I never suggested a surge protector won't work on the ship. It is one of those things that works fine but is inherently very dangerous should the surge protector actually do what you brought it for. That is why the cruise lines don't want you to bring a surge protector from home.

The reason that this is on my mind at the moment is that I am planning a wiring upgrade on my sailboat and have the same considerations with the shore power system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's possible some people are confusing two different devices.

There are cords with several outlets in a strip on one end. Those are helpful for many passengers, and are all right to use.

There are other devices that look pretty much the same, and fill the same purpose; those have a surge protector built in. Those are the ones that should not be used on the ship.

The surge protector part is of no use to passengers; they need the length, and especially the additional outlets.

So, why be so insistent that you will bring your surge protector, instead of the one that is safe for all? Get one without the surge protector included.

We just bring the standard extension cord with a multi-head so we can plug in more than 1 device at a time. Have never had a problem or an issue after many cruises. Did find out that some of the desk outlets are a bit recessed and had to use the extension cord to charge my camera battery pack as could not be flush with the outlet.

Have a friend who pre-orders a strip thru ship services for her CPAP and it is usually waiting in her cabin when she boards.

Edited by take us away

We had not had a problem with our ungrounded extension cord for cpap machine until last year on the Statendam. It was confiscated via the naughty room and all the ship's cords had already been loaned. Our steward let my DH use his personal one, thank goodness. It seems that the rules vary; need to check with each ship, which we had done, and the ungrounded cord was still a no-no when actually aboard. :confused:

For our upcoming cruise, we'll contact Guest Services with a request for a cord; maybe that will solve the problem. It's frustrating enough when you want to use an extension cord for convenience, but when it's needed for medical reasons, it goes beyond frustration to concern.

LC

I recently contacted guest services about extension cords and this is what they said: "guests are not allowed to bring their own". They will have a cord in the room when we arrive. We want to be sure that hubby's cpap reaches as I am not sure if there is a plug on the outside wall of my OV room. Bringing an extension cord was never a problem on our Princess cruise. I will bring one with me anyway just to be safe.

Can I assume that the plugs are American outlets?

I recently contacted guest services about extension cords and this is what they said: "guests are not allowed to bring their own". They will have a cord in the room when we arrive. We want to be sure that hubby's cpap reaches as I am not sure if there is a plug on the outside wall of my OV room. Bringing an extension cord was never a problem on our Princess cruise. I will bring one with me anyway just to be safe.

Can I assume that the plugs are American outlets?

pmjnh--Thank you for the follow up. We'll call guest services to hopefully have one in the room when we arrive, and will also bring our own, just in case. One of the posters said they put the extension cord in with the Cpap machine. We'll do that also.

Can't give you a definite answer but, yes, the outlets will almost certainly be American.

Fun cruising!

LC

pmjnh--Thank you for the follow up. We'll call guest services to hopefully have one in the room when we arrive, and will also bring our own, just in case. One of the posters said they put the extension cord in with the Cpap machine. We'll do that also.

Can't give you a definite answer but, yes, the outlets will almost certainly be American.

Fun cruising!

LC

Thanks to you as well! Thats a great idea to put the cord in the cpap case. Now to find the adapters for the pre and post cruise hotels!