New to Royal Caribbean-How do they do muster

This may not be a concern of others but I just returned from a Legend cruise. My DW does not have any mobility problems, however, she has difficulty standing a long time. Our muster station was outside on deck 4 and I asked an officer supervising the muster if she could wait inside. He immediately gave the OK and there was a crewmember inside the lounge to demonstrate the muster procedures. You could clearly here the individual giving the instructions.

So far every muster I have been on RCCL has been a cattle call, line up on deck by the lifeboats, and people trying to yell over the din of conversation trying to find people who didn't check in. Why they can't have badge scanners (like Princess) or, shudder, voice amplification, I do not know. If you're claustrophobic or can't stand for 20minutes in one place sweating in close proximity with 100s of your friends, you're going to have a hard time. Why can Celebrity have muster inside a lounge and RCCL has to have it out on deck?

So far every muster I have been on RCCL has been a cattle call, line up on deck by the lifeboats, and people trying to yell over the din of conversation trying to find people who didn't check in. Why they can't have badge scanners (like Princess) or, shudder, voice amplification, I do not know. If you're claustrophobic or can't stand for 20minutes in one place sweating in close proximity with 100s of your friends, you're going to have a hard time. Why can Celebrity have muster inside a lounge and RCCL has to have it out on deck?

Many of the newer RCI ships do have it inside the lounges and some ships are a mixture of both It just depends on the ship. Muster needs to be held where you are to go in the event of an emergency. No point having everyone sit in the dining room for a muster drill when in an emergency that is not where you would go.

We haven't been out on the deck on the last several cruises. And the last 2 we saw films on a large screen or TV in the MDR on the last one.

It depends on your cabin's location. But they have also been inside for years for some passengers. And this last one in MDR, they did scan our sea pass card.

I think it depends on the ship. On our last cruise (Freedom) we had to bring the life jackets along, but we didn't put them on until they instructed us with a demonstration.

I know it's ironic, but we don't mind doing muster at all. Anything we can do to protect our safety is OK by us and we actually usually meet some nice people and have nice conversations while waiting for others to show up (who obviously don't take it as seriously). On our last cruise we ended up running into the people we met at muster during the rest of the cruise.

We've had it inside and outside depending on the ship. We just go where they tell us, check in, work our way back to the room to drop off our life jackets, then enjoy the cruise. It's really painless.

As one other person noted, they work really hard to accommodate people with special needs.

Tom

I think it depends on the ship. On our last cruise (Freedom) we had to bring the life jackets along, but we didn't put them on until they instructed us with a demonstration.

I know it's ironic, but we don't mind doing muster at all. Anything we can do to protect our safety is OK by us and we actually usually meet some nice people and have nice conversations while waiting for others to show up (who obviously don't take it as seriously). On our last cruise we ended up running into the people we met at muster during the rest of the cruise.

We've had it inside and outside depending on the ship. We just go where they tell us, check in, work our way back to the room to drop off our life jackets, then enjoy the cruise. It's really painless.

As one other person noted, they work really hard to accommodate people with special needs.

Tom

When was your last cruise? We were on Freedom in June and didn't have to mess with life jackets.

Freedom was lining up outside. On Oasis in 2013, our muster station was the comedy club. I think all the muster stations on Oasis had chairs.

When was your last cruise? We were on Freedom in June and didn't have to mess with life jackets.

Freedom was lining up outside. On Oasis in 2013, our muster station was the comedy club. I think all the muster stations on Oasis had chairs.

We were on FOS about 3 yeas ago.No life jackets required and our station was in the mdr

i was with a big group on majesty of the seas and some were inside sitting down in the MDR and some were outside standing in rows in the sun. looks like a grab bag of answers for the original poster. i didn't have to bring life jackets with me in 2013.

We were on the Rhapsody in November and they scanned our sea pass cards.

We were on the Navigator in April and our muster station was outside. However since I have mobility issues and cannot stand that long they allowed me and others to stay in the lounge just inside where the others were outside. Then someone came and explained everything to us. My husband did have to take my card out to be scanned with his.

We have sailed on other lines and all seem to do the muster drill differently. How does Royal Caribbean do theirs. We will be sailing out of Rome on the Rhapsody in September. Thanks for the reply.

The larger ships have you report to a specific area such as the theater. Once seated and they begin, it takes about 10 min. I was recently on Vision of the Seas and they do it like what I had experienced on CCL, having you report to the muster station, though you don't have to take the life jacket.

Best of luck and happy sailing!!