Why so many Suite benefits?

laslomas

Very simple, suites get benefits because of the price paid. We are retired but choose to cruise once a year because of our cats. We can afford higher end suites because of this; and because when we were working we ate breakfast at home, carried our lunch, and ate most dinners at home. We did not go to Starbucks twice a day or stop at the concession stand in the building for coffee and Danish. We never felt deprived or envied coworkers who choose a life stile different from ours. We enjoyed our self on vacations and on the dinner or wine splurge and can now afford to cruise once a year in a suite.

Mary Lou

Very well said. Our first cruise was in an inside cabin that was so tiny only one person could get out of bed a time. We like suites because of the space. Yes, there are people that enjoy their suites and the perks included. It wasn't always that way.

It's a basic economic concept - the economic value of a particular item is based on what someone is prepared to give up in order to receive that item.

I know logically that when I book a suite I am paying over and above what I could pay to eat similar food, use the same amenities and see the same sights as people in less expensive staterooms. However, the entire suite experience is worth the $x amount of money to me that I have chosen to pay for it. It has nothing to do with price per square footage etc.

It's a basic economic concept - the economic value of a particular item is based on what someone is prepared to give up in order to receive that item.

I know logically that when I book a suite I am paying over and above what I could pay to eat similar food, use the same amenities and see the same sights as people in less expensive staterooms. However, the entire suite experience is worth the $x amount of money to me that I have chosen to pay for it. It has nothing to do with price per square footage etc.

That's the way it USED to be on Celebrity. Now with the new benefits, restaurant and for higher suites, Michaels Club that value dynamic has shifted.

But at $800 per night and up, it comes at a price

:D Like..!

Kind of out of point, but loved the suite perks when we cruised on Norwegian.

Going to try the MSC Yacht Club next.

Celebrity suites look to be really expensive though.

We used to think that about the NCL suite perks but, after our first cruise since the suite perks were introduced and with only Michael's Club implemented so far, we feel that Celebrity are doing it better. There was a marked difference compared to our cruise immediately before the suite perks were announced. That, hopefully, can only improve after April.

Kind of out of point, but loved the suite perks when we cruised on Norwegian.

Going to try the MSC Yacht Club next.

Celebrity suites look to be really expensive though.

The Yacht Club is a wonderful cruise experience with its own dedicated restaurant, Top Sail Lounge with the very best forward vistas, own sun deck with pool bar and does have an exclusive air about it. Keep in mind, though, that the inclusive drinks benefit does not extend to bars outside the Yacht Club enclave.

Well I am one of those suite people. Can anyone here tell me about the specialty dinner perk. I've read that suite passengers were invited to dine at one of the specialty restaurants the first night. Does that count as the perk night?

If this doesn't count, is there a way to book a reservation for the free night before the cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I am one of those suite people. Can anyone here tell me about the specialty dinner perk. I've read that suite passengers were invited to dine at one of the specialty restaurants the first night. Does that count as the perk night?

If this doesn't count, is there a way to book a reservation for the free night before the cruise?

We were never invited to dine for free the 1st night but our prior cruises were in sky suites over New Years. Discounts were practically non existent on those cruises.

To book a free reservation you need to call Celebrity. Start with the Captains Club if you are a member. If you book on line you will have to pay and get a refund in the form of a ship credit once on board.

Mary Lou

We have not been specifically invited (although booking tables are set up in multiple locations) to dine in specialty on 1st night but you can certainly make a reservation online. I have always just made specialty dining reservations we wanted online prior to boarding and have the pricing adjusted to N/C after dining onboard. If you are CS or above Michael's concierge will assist you with this once onboard and also aid in getting your preferred time if it was not available either by online booking or your butler. It has been my experience that Michael's Concierge does have the ability to get things done! Also if CS or above you will get an email prior to boarding or at least that has been my experience the last 3 cruises and I think you will find she/he most accommodating, personable, and wishing to make your cruise as enjoyable as she/he can.

An alternate may be making a call to Captain's Club and they may well have the info on booking the "perk" night reservation in advance without billing it to you credit card before you board. I personally have not tried this but have found that calls to the Capt Club number have been very helpful in the past and without the problems that seem to be reported from calling reservation department..... Good Luck Bobbi

I understand there will always be a reaction, good or bad, when things change but we don't live in a classless society, not even in North Korea or Cuba despite their devotion to Communism. Some people can afford larger houses than others, maybe in better neighbourhoods. And they can afford to drive better cars. Is this wrong? And when you get on the plane to travel to the cruise port do you complain to the airline because they have a business class and you are in economy? So why moan about class on Celebrity?

Sadly not everything in life is a matter of choice, but where it is that choice should be free within legal reason. Class today is, for better or worse, defined by disposable income. If you have more money, perhaps because you've had a skilled job for many years and maybe a good pension or even it's inherited from mum and dad, what right do other people have to control how you spend your money?

And the great thing about cruising is that you can have a wonderful holiday with good food and excellent company even if you inhabit the least expensive inside cabin. Don't let jealousy spoil that.

If Celebrity hadn't introduced Suite Class they would have fallen behind much of the opposition. Your favourite cruise line has to keep moving forwards to survive.

I understand there will always be a reaction, good or bad, when things change but we don't live in a classless society, not even in North Korea or Cuba despite their devotion to Communism. Some people can afford larger houses than others, maybe in better neighbourhoods. And they can afford to drive better cars. Is this wrong? And when you get on the plane to travel to the cruise port do you complain to the airline because they have a business class and you are in economy? So why moan about class on Celebrity?

Sadly not everything in life is a matter of choice, but where it is that choice should be free within legal reason. Class today is, for better or worse, defined by disposable income. If you have more money, perhaps because you've had a skilled job for many years and maybe a good pension or even it's inherited from mum and dad, what right do other people have to control how you spend your money?

And the great thing about cruising is that you can have a wonderful holiday with good food and excellent company even if you inhabit the least expensive inside cabin. Don't let jealousy spoil that.

If Celebrity hadn't introduced Suite Class they would have fallen behind much of the opposition. Your favourite cruise line has to keep moving forwards to survive.

Well said...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you everyone for your response. I really enjoy spending time meeting new friends over dinner, but the Normandie does sound like a 'must not miss.'

Should I be apologizing for treating DH and myself to a suite? Or should I be apologizing for taking advantage of the perks that Celebrity offers for spending $$ over a basic cabin?

Thank you everyone for your response. I really enjoy spending time meeting new friends over dinner, but the Normandie does sound like a 'must not miss.'

Should I be apologizing for treating DH and myself to a suite? Or should I be apologizing for taking advantage of the perks that Celebrity offers for spending $$ over a basic cabin?

No need to apologize. Each of us have own particular standards in life. Some will be comfortable in a standard cabin...some in Suites. For whatever reason, go have a wonderful cruise, and enjoy all the amenities. You'll love it!

Apologize, for what? :)

Life is too short. Enjoy cruising in the style that makes you the happiest!

The best things in life are the experiences that engender wonderful memories.

Edited by C-Dragons

Michael's Club is now open and I understand the dining room won't be open until April, but does this mean that in Feb and March, CS and higher suite guests do NOT get:

* Complimentary Premium Beverage package

* Complimentary unlimited Specialty Dining

* Complimentary unlimited Internet access

* Complimentary mini-bar stocked daily with water, sodas, beer

Michael's Club is now open and I understand the dining room won't be open until April, but does this mean that in Feb and March, CS and higher suite guests do NOT get:

Guests in Celebrity Suites will never get these items now or after the suite benefits are fully rolled out. These benefits are only for Royal suites and higher.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

No need to apologize. We all choose our priorities in life. If yours is a suite then you should take advantage of all the perks included with it.

Yes, Normandie sounds lovely, not being in a suite we will pay the extra fee. Hopefully, with a bit of a discount but who knows.

This is how I would value this for a 7 night cruise:

$58 x 2 + 15% = 853

$29 x 2 +15% = $467

$429 to maybe $1000

Not highly valued by me.

So excluding free soda...that's $2000-$2500 I will otherwise be spending.

you, would really be on the net eough to rack up 500-1000 in internet charges in a week?!

and as to the other charges....I can't speak for everyone.....but I don't tally the value of each ammenity to decide if it is worth it....the overall package and how it will effect my overall enjoyment of the cruise is more important....also, it's nice to be able to share with friends....have a party in the room etc.....but mainly it's not the additional perks....they are an added benefit.....i just like the extra room of the suite.....big bathroom....Shower for 2...:).... big balcony...etc

$58 x 2 + 15% = 853

$29 x 2 +15% = $467

$429 to maybe $1000

Not highly valued by me.

you, would really be on the net eough to rack up 500-1000 in internet charges in a week?!

Depends on the couple, but the $429/28 hour internet package amounts to two hours per day per person. Easy to do or go over -- for us, assuming it is sharable between two different devices.

And the next package down is 10 hours/2 people/7 days --- we would def go over, so it's a no brainer.

And as to the other charges....I can't speak for everyone.....but I don't tally the value of each ammenity to decide if it is worth it....the overall package and how it will effect my overall enjoyment of the cruise is more important....also, it's nice to be able to share with friends....have a party in the room etc.....but mainly it's not the additional perks....they are an added benefit.....i just like the extra room of the suite.....big bathroom....Shower for 2...:).... big balcony...etc

I factor in both the additional space and subtract out the value of the amenities to determine the net incremental cost. Yes, second bathroom has a value..$5K, prob not. Spacious feeling...guess it just depends on how much money you have...more space is always better than less.

Edited by soxfan2013

HEY I AM 6'8........more space is a necessity....Internet won't mean a thing to me.....I don't spend one minute on the net when I am cruising.....the wife does....a bit...maybe an hour all together

Depends on the couple, but the $429/28 hour internet package amounts to two hours per day per person. Easy to do or go over -- for us, assuming it is sharable between two different devices.

And the next package down is 10 hours/2 people/7 days --- we would def go over, so it's a no brainer.

I factor in both the additional space and subtract out the value of the amenities to determine the net incremental cost. Yes, second bathroom has a value..$5K, prob not. Spacious feeling...guess it just depends on how much money you have...more space is always better than less.

$58 x 2 + 15% = 853

$29 x 2 +15% = $467

$429 to maybe $1000

Not highly valued by me.

No 15% service charge on the daily rate for the Ultimate Dining Package. Also, you do not pay for the one or two nights complimentary specialty dining.