Huge Dissatisfaction with Dynamic Dining

cooncat

Disneyworld.

Been to Disneyworld 3 times and never made a reservation expect that day for an evening meal.

Again, list 20 resorts. Not one that does not make sense.

Tell me what restaurant you made 180 days in advance in Disneyworld.

I will then check that I need 180 days.

I've been to Disneyworld 30 times. If you want to eat at certain popular restaurants like Be Our Guest, Chef Mickeys and many others you have to reserve them 180 days out. Plus they take your credit credit card number to guarantee the reservation. If you don't show up they charge your credit card a $10 per person fee.

Edited by SICruiseGirlNYC

Been to Disneyworld 3 times and never made a reservation expect that day for an evening meal.

Again, list 20 resorts. Not one that does not make sense.

Tell me what restaurant you made 180 days in advance in Disneyworld.

I will then check that I need 180 days.

Some of the premium restaurants at Disney require advanced reservations, says right on their website. Reservations open up 180 days out.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

My answer comes from an experience I had 3 years ago when I brought my then 29yr old phenom business partner and wife on the Freedom. After the 2nd night of MDR he hated it... and truthfully I would agree in that the waiter/asst were a couple of the worst I ever experienced. Night 3 we went to the Windjammer in Billabongs and t-shirts, free and easy, just like you'd expect from the younger crowd. He loved it, we got great service once they knew we were up there every night. The rest of the ship was only so-so to him, he felt "disconnected" from the world. My business partner a triple AAA personality, house full of technology (Apple TV, do dads everywhere, etc), and he bores easily. I showed him my Quantum cruise and now he wants to give it a shot.... Wifi, handheld control, choices everywhere you turn, right down his alley.

DD is part of what the world is changing to imo... choice and control. DD you choose and control everything, MDR you control nothing. Hate to be so blunt but younger generation want control and constant change, older demographic want stability with zero change which is what MDR gives you on a nightly comfortable basis. Just my 2 cents... I think RCL is starting to target the younger generation and newer cruisers as many other threads have indicated. Those of us who don't like change as we age will keep HAL in business when we leave RCL.

Ok, you make good points. I am not trying to sound like a pest, so let me ask my question a different way, in two parts.

1. What is the difference between MTD with a better menu and dynamic dining?

2. What is wrong with having one restaurant or even section of a restaurant stay MDR? Assuming there is space logistically.

Just tossing out ideas for discussion.

Ok, you make good points. I am not trying to sound like a pest, so let me ask my question a different way, in two parts.

1. What is the difference between MTD with a better menu and dynamic dining?

2. What is wrong with having one restaurant or even section of a restaurant stay MDR? Assuming there is space logistically.

Just tossing out ideas for discussion.

1) different venues come as a change of scenery and make you feel less like you are going to the same place every night. It also means that PAX can choose what type of food they wish to eat, meaning people don't have to settle for whatever the MDR offers.

2) nothing is wrong with that but logistically managing the two concepts at the same time especially in the kitchens would be a larger nightmare, for Quantum & Anthem however there probably isn't the required space

1) different venues come as a change of scenery and make you feel less like you are going to the same place every night. It also means that PAX can choose what type of food they wish to eat, meaning people don't have to settle for whatever the MDR offers.

2) nothing is wrong with that but logistically managing the two concepts at the same time especially in the kitchens would be a larger nightmare, for Quantum & Anthem however there probably isn't the required space

1. Have several MTD dining restaurants

2. They already do this with MTD on several ships I have been on.

I realize space wise it may be a challenge, I just do not understand the hoopla around dynamic dining being so "young and hip". Isnt this just a dressed up version of MTD? Or I am just playing with semantics?

Again, good discussion. Not try to be a pain in the arsh.

I might try DD one day in the far future, when all the kinds have been ironed out. I know the menu at silk looked pretty awesome!

I realize space wise it may be a challenge, I just do not understand the hoopla around dynamic dining being so "young and hip". Isnt this just a dressed up version of MTD? Or I am just playing with semantics?

I might try DD one day in the far future, when all the kinds have been ironed out. I know the menu at silk looked pretty awesome!

I agree with you on this. Do you think that new cruisers are going to base their decision solely on whether they can do MTD or DD? IMO, no they won't... I'm sure some will, but some probably won't even know the difference between the two! (Not meant as an offensive comment, but more as an observation...many people do little to no research and have no idea what to expect on a cruise)...

But overall, there really is not that much of a difference between the two concepts.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

This might help....

Dynamic Dining is like going to complimentary Speciality Restaurants.

On the traditional ships the MTD and Early/Late settings use the same menu and it changes nightly....and on some of the night the menu sucks ( on these nights we just don't go to a dining room).

With DD we went to the restaurant that had the type of food we desired...in other words we were not stuck with those suckie traditional menus. It was a HUGE exciting difference.

this might help....

Dynamic dining is like going to complimentary speciality restaurants.

On the traditional ships the mtd and early/late settings use the same menu and it changes nightly....and on some of the night the menu sucks ( on these nights we just don't go to a dining room).

With dd we went to the restaurant that had the type of food we desired...in other words we were not stuck with those suckie traditional menus. It was a huge exciting difference.

👍👍👍👍

With DD you feel more like you are in a "real" restaurant as opposed to a large banquet hall. There isn't the hustle and bustle of a ton of waiters tripping over each other and clanging silverware. Each restaurant was unique and beautifully decorated so it added more variety to the cruise. Some tables along the walls have cushioned bench seating on one side (at least in several of the restaurants).

We just got off Oasis this morning. As reported before, the 3 main dining rooms now have different decorating schemes which adds to the experience of the cruise without imposing the DD reported problems.

Silk on 5 had the Asian flair with deep reds but all 3 couples in our group agreed that the tables were pushed together more so then the other two decks and it added a bit of unpleasantness to the room. Silk is the only full time MTD dining room.

Grande on 4 seemed more spacious with fewer tables crammed in. However it is a hybrid creation with MTD running until 6:30 PM or so. After that the staff lets no one else in and the room slowly empties out until 8:30 when it converts to a second Late Traditional room. I think that Oasis does this because of the heavy South American contingent on board; this group tends to prefer dinner at a later time.

We did the Tutti lunch a couple of times, partly to check out American Icon on 3. Interesting decor here.

All these restaurants had the same dinner menus and might represent a future compromise over the DD vs Trad/MTD schemes battle. Possibly add one or two special choices each night geared to each restaurant.

Oasis class has tremendous over capacity compared to any Princess ship, which is why the latter needs $@#&* beepers. As Bill said up thread, we won't go near any ship that uses beepers.

This might help....

Dynamic Dining is like going to complimentary Speciality Restaurants.

I don't think there's any way that the food at the complimentary DD venues is up to Specialty Restaurant standards, but if RCI can make enough think that, they'll be thrilled! That much easier to make them up charge venues at some point in the future - their ultimate goal!

"The Big Booper

We just got off Oasis this morning. As reported before, the 3 main dining rooms now have different decorating schemes which adds to the experience of the cruise without imposing the DD reported problems.

Silk on 5 had the Asian flair with deep reds but all 3 couples in our group agreed that the tables were pushed together more so then the other two decks and it added a bit of unpleasantness to the room. Silk is the only full time MTD dining room.

Grande on 4 seemed more spacious with fewer tables crammed in. However it is a hybrid creation with MTD running until 6:30 PM or so. After that the staff lets no one else in and the room slowly empties out until 8:30 when it converts to a second Late Traditional room. I think that Oasis does this because of the heavy South American contingent on board; this group tends to prefer dinner at a later time.

We did the Tutti lunch a couple of times, partly to check out American Icon on 3. Interesting decor here.

All these restaurants had the same dinner menus and might represent a future compromise over the DD vs Trad/MTD schemes battle. Possibly add one or two special choices each night geared to each restaurant.

Oasis class has tremendous over capacity compared to any Princess ship, which is why the latter needs $@#&* beepers. As Bill said up thread, we won't go near any ship that uses beepers."

If I understood you correctly, you did MTD and that's always in the Silk level. Any idea which room the 6pm Traditional seating is assigned to?

Also, which dining room do you go to for breakfast and lunch. On the Quantum it was the American Icon.

We're looking forward to getting back on the Oasis in April.

Edited by Jimmers

I don't think there's any way that the food at the complimentary DD venues is up to Specialty Restaurant standards, but if RCI can make enough think that, they'll be thrilled! That much easier to make them up charge venues at some point in the future - their ultimate goal!

What was it about your experience of DD that makes you so vocal on any thread whenever someone has positive things to say about DD.

There are some very valid points (pro and anti) being made but you are probably one of the most anti DD posters on any thread. You must have had a really bad experience on Quantum - perhaps the improvements which have been made and widely reported would have made your experience different had you sailed on a later sailing with DD

I haven't tried it yet - can't wait to do so on Anthem in May - for a number of reasons, not least of which is the boring and repetitive MDR menu - but I do have a number of friends who sailed on Quantum and have nothing but praise for the whole DD experience which makes me wonder why your experience was so at odds with theirs?

Edited by Bobal

I have one question that will determine if I take RCL with DD.

If I do make reservations can I get seated within fifteen minutes of wanting eat. That is will someone that I walk up to that will determine what restaurant has a minimum wait time and reserve a seat for me while I get there.

I am one that don't like lines and would wait over 15 minutes for a restaurant. I walk out and find another restaurant (we eat out about 5 times a week).

I have been on over 30 cruises including 4 river cruises and budget 20K a year for travel. I would think the ship itself as a destination.

I'm sure I've seen you on TV

Some of the premium restaurants at Disney require advanced reservations, says right on their website. Reservations open up 180 days out.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

The difference is that people are exaggerating to try to prove something.

First off, name these restrustants inside Disney World that must be reserved 180 days ahead of time. Note, please give first hand experience where you tries to get a reservation say a week ahead and could not. Just give the names of these resturants and I will call to double check your atetment.

Second you are taking of a place that has (I estimate 50 restaurants and a lot of other food stands and buffets)

When I am stuck on a ship, I cannot go someplace to eat. I am stuck on the ship.

Also it was said many resorts require all your restaurant reservations to be done before you get there. I asked for about 20, and was given that maybe one restaurant in Disney world requested reservations 180 days out. There are restaurants in most major cites that require reservations a long time ahead. These would be restaurants where most likely you would spend $300 for a meal for two. Are you comparing what RCL offers to these type of restaurants?

So, I am waiting for the names 20 resorts and the name of Disney restaurants.

I think the people that would mind the DD experience are those use to not eating out and don't know better.

The difference is that people are exaggerating to try to prove something.

First off, name these restrustants inside Disney World that must be reserved 180 days ahead of time. Note, please give first hand experience where you tries to get a reservation say a week ahead and could not. Just give the names of these resturants and I will call to double check your atetment.

Second you are taking of a place that has (I estimate 50 restaurants and a lot of other food stands and buffets)

When I am stuck on a ship, I cannot go someplace to eat. I am stuck on the ship.

Also it was said many resorts require all your restaurant reservations to be done before you get there. I asked for about 20, and was given that maybe one restaurant in Disney world requested reservations 180 days out. There are restaurants in most major cites that require reservations a long time ahead. These would be restaurants where most likely you would spend $300 for a meal for two. Are you comparing what RCL offers to these type of restaurants?

I think the people that would mind the DD experience are those use to not eating out and don't know better.

Well keep waiting. Your rant is nonsensical and your demand to verify my experiences sounds crazy.

I really don't understand your point. Then again I don't dine out 5 nights a week or spend $20k per year on travel, so our experiences won't match.

Edited by LMaxwell

I have never experienced it so I'm ignorant from that standpoint.

I keep reading that Royal has been so overtaken by complaints that they put it on hold.

I'm trying to wrap my head around why there are so many complaints. It sounds like such an incredible idea. Every dining venue sounds cooler and better than the next.

What's the issue? What am I missing?

Well keep waiting. Your rant is nonsensical and your demand to verify my experiences sounds crazy.

I really don't understand your point. Then again I don't dine out 5 nights a week or spend $20k per year on travel, so our experiences won't match.

I agree with you, LMaxwell! Donray is very nonsensical on this thread. Not sure how someone mentioning that you can make reservations 180 days out became twisted into you must make reservations 180 days out.

As to their estimate that there are "50 restaurants and a lot of other food stands and buffets", well that alone indicates their lack of knowledge in this area. Disneyworld has 102 restaurants that take reservations!

If I understood you correctly, you did MTD and that's always in the Silk level. Any idea which room the 6pm Traditional seating is assigned to?

Also, which dining room do you go to for breakfast and lunch. On the Quantum it was the American Icon.

We're looking forward to getting back on the Oasis in April.[/QUOTE]

I have these same questions..

[quote name='clawmachine']If I understood you correctly, you did MTD and that's always in the Silk level. Any idea which room the 6pm Traditional seating is assigned to?

We're looking forward to getting back on the Oasis in April.[/QUOTE]

I have these same questions..[/QUOTE]

American Icon is the breakfast and lunch venue for the MDR service.

American Icon is full traditional dining, the Grande is a combination level depending on each sailing and Silk is the My Time Dining venue.

[quote name='LMaxwell']Well keep waiting. Your rant is nonsensical and your demand to verify my experiences sounds crazy.

I really don't understand your point. Then again I don't dine out 5 nights a week or spend $20k per year on travel, so our experiences won't match.[/QUOTE]
Based on those nonsensical rants and brags, I'm betting he doesn't either... ;)

[quote name='Donray']Could you name the resorts that require reservations for restaurants months in advance? Or that even require all reservation for restaurants before you arrive?[/QUOTE]

Can you name one ship that requires reservations for restaurants months in advance or all reservations before you arrive?

[QUOTE]Please list at least 20 or so since you say all and I have found none.[/QUOTE]

I'm OK with one ship.

[QUOTE]I don't understand people making up stories to justify DD.[/QUOTE]

But you apparently understand people making up stories to discredit DD.

[quote name='Donray']The difference is that people are exaggerating to try to prove something.

I think the people that would mind the DD experience are those use to not eating out and don't know better.[/QUOTE]

Can you please list all of your future cruises on here?, I'm sure most people would like to know so that they can avoid sailing on the same ship as you - if you are really lucky you will then have the ship to yourself so wont have to stand in line or book anything!!

I always thought the purpose of forums was for people to post experiences and answer questions etc. and not to just rant on with pointless drivel!