Huge Dissatisfaction with Dynamic Dining

cooncat

Let's also remember that the reviews posted overall represent about 0.9% of the Quantum cruisers and those who have bad experiences are more likely to submit a review compared to those with a good experience

That is true of every ship in every fleet, and for that matter everything with internet reviews. But Quantum currently has a 38% on CC, where Disney Fantasy (which doesn't even have MTD, only two specialty restaurants and targets young families) is currently at 96%.

I do believe Quantum's reviews are skewed more negative than normal, but there is no way it is as loved as Oasis or Freedom, and I think DD is probably a very big piece of that.

Let's also remember that the reviews posted overall represent about 0.9% of the Quantum cruisers and those who have bad experiences are more likely to submit a review compared to those with a good experience

Let's ALSO remember that the reviews posted for Quantum are DRAMATICALLY lower than the reviews posted for every single other ship in the RCI fleet. Those other reviews also represent the same 0.9% of cruisers and the same (claimed) propensity for those with bad experiences to be much more likely to submit a review compared to those with a good experience.

Any other arguments? ;)

Let's ALSO remember that the reviews posted for Quantum are DRAMATICALLY lower than the reviews posted for every single other ship in the RCI fleet. Those other reviews also represent the same 0.9% of cruisers and the same (claimed) propensity for those with bad experiences to be much more likely to submit a review compared to those with a good experience.

Any other arguments? ;)

Can you filter on date to see if it is trending higher?

DD is part of what the world is changing to imo... choice and control. DD you choose and control everything, MDR you control nothing. .

Three different MTD restaurants, bam, you have everything you indicate. Save one for the old timers (like me, age 34) who enjoy the MDR.

I hate to be a broken record, but I still do not get the point of dynamic dining.

I agree with the points of others about more revenue for RCI, hard to argue with that. But no one has said what DD does that MTD cannot do with some tweaks.

Any ways, I won't give DD a negative review, but I also have no interest in going on a cruise with it.

This. I have never done it, but I honestly have little if any desire to do so. One of the special things about a cruise for me is having a seat waiting for me with staff who know my whims and likes, that makes it different from eating on land. Dynamic dining to me could be renamed "non-cruise dining"

Three different MTD restaurants, bam, you have everything you indicate. Save one for the old timers (like me, age 34) who enjoy the MDR.

I hate to be a broken record, but I still do not get the point of dynamic dining.

I agree with the points of others about more revenue for RCI, hard to argue with that. But no one has said what DD does that MTD cannot do with some tweaks.

This. I have never done it, but I honestly have little if any desire to do so. One of the special things about a cruise for me is having a seat waiting for me with staff who know my whims and likes, that makes it different from eating on land. Dynamic dining to me could be renamed "non-cruise dining"

I thought I had explained that in its ability to attract new cruisers and those turned off by old cruise stereotypes.

People who vacation at resorts or theme parks are used to DD on land. Choose from this this or that and make reservations and or just wait. it's beyond NCL freestyle because that still offers multiple mdr per ship with same menus and to vary from that costs even more.

I'm not super traditional but I know what appeals to me on vacation and what doesn't and replicating a theme park experience on a ship doesn't appeal here.

Edit. I did not see your final paragraph at first. Seems we are in basic agreement on the topic. DD is made to appeal to non cruisers

Edited by LMaxwell

Cheerleaders, whiners, complainers, bad spellers, jokers, you name it, I have read every post of the debate.

No one has ever answered my basic question: what is the problem that Dynamic Dining is trying to solve, that a mix of MTD/MDR with better menus cant fix.

Have an MDR restaurant, a few MTD restaurants with different menus, everyone is happy.

Anyone?

Well as RCI haven't, to the best of my knowledge, said just what they are trying to "fix" it's hard to say personally a wider mix of menus would be fantastic [on any line].

Personally we are somewhat fussy eaters [mainly because of health problems] and on all our cruises I think t is fair to say that at least one night one of us has had to ask for something not on the menu or go back to our room and order R/S.

perception is reality....thats how her comment read to me. and reading it again several times, it still does. We can paint the dynamic dinning poop all the colors we want to try and dress it up....its still poop....

In your opinion. I havent experienced DD, just comnenting on the tone of your post.

Perception is not reality. It is how you view reality.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

Should I assume that the very fact that under the dynamic dining system they actually increased the number of "complimentary" or "included" dining venues actually proves your position or am I missing the point?

Can't answer the question. But I do wonder have the number of seats available changed one way or another?

Was on the Quantum a few weeks ago and posted my first ever negative review. I am leaving next weekend on the Oasis, and March I'll be on the Freedom. Me, after the experience on the Quantum would wait at least a year till I went on another ship with DD. RCL knows it has a problem, which is why DD was canceled on the Oasis thank god. The roll out and execution of DD was POOR. The ship was WAY UNDER STAFFED, and the crew was not used to the technology rolled out. It will get fixed, but no one wants a bad experience while RCL fixes their problems.

Funny, I am an early millennial, and I and all of my cruising friends hate the idea of DD. On cruise critic it seems like mostly D+ people who seem very in favor of DD, because they are sick of MDR after doing it 150+ times (nights).

I just don't remember that many people complaining about the old system, until DD was announced. DD seems to be getting at most a 50/50 review at the moment, so it appears to be producing worse results that MDR/MTD. Also most of the positive reviews I've seen of DD seem to be from people that ate at specially restaurants multiple times.

Any ways, I won't give DD a negative review, but I also have no interest in going on a cruise with it.

Okay if Diamond Plus members are getting advantages for booking reservations then they would naturally be in favor of Dynamic Dining. Add to their reservations not being messed up that the menus are all new for the frequent cruisers & their opinions can be biased.

The other concern is while there may be more free venues the real point is are their the same or more settings available? Early reports indicate that service is slow because there is no assistant dining steward & that is a fairly was fix. However, that costs more money.

No I have not cruised with Dynamic Dining, but with so many bad reviews, we will wait to try Dynamic Dining when the kinks are worked out & it flows smoothly.

This thread has me rather worried....

My wife and I are relative newby cruisers, having just made Platinum on Princess, the only line we've sailed on. Because Princess has abandoned, or scaled back, their offerings on our preferred routes, (and because we very much want to experience RCCL and the monster ships), we are about to pull the trigger on our first RCCL trip. It will be on the Allure for a Western Med trip this September. It's our 25th anniversary, and I'd rather not fall victim to an RCCL senior management social engineering experiment gone wrong, which is what many claim this Dynamic Dining has become. I do understand that it has been withdrawn due to the negative reviews, but I will have to be cynical and assume that it will be on the Allure by the time we sail in 8 months. I wanted to get some advice and feedback from the veteran RCCL cruisers out there as to what to expect IF Dynamic Dining is in place on our trip

Background: We are not "Traditional" dining types at all. We always eat at a table for two, under Anytime Dining when we eat in MDRs, prefer to eat very early, don't do buffets or quick meal venues and don't like to make reservations unless there's a specific table we desire. On Princess, as soon as we board, we head for the Crown Grill and Sabatini's and physically point out the window seats we'd like to have and on which days. They always happily accommodate. On the Allure, there are so many options, I could see us only using an MDR once or twice, eating at the pay per use restaurants most of the time for the variety and experience. We are definitely looking forward to the big ship experience and the dining options

So, a few questions about what we would encounter on the Allure:

1) I see numerous reports about nightmares in making reservations (not sure if that's on-line or by phone, and whether that's a DD issue or normal practice). Are reservations ABSOLUTELY required, or can we simply take our chances and walk up to any restaurant?

2) When we do reserve, is it possible to physically visit the restaurants we want to book at and make reservations in person, or must it be done electronically? If we can book in person, can it be done upon boarding for the whole week, or only the morning of?

3) Again, we eat very early, and on Princess, rarely had to wait more than a few minutes in the bar with a beeper before getting seated in an MDR. Most of the time, we walk right in. We don't stand in dinner lines ever. Will we encounter problems getting in to an MDR when we arrive soon after opening?

4) How are the Allure's eateries laid out for tables for two? On Princess, the two-seaters are few and some of the the staff clearly don't really like them very much. We've even had eyes rolled at us when we ask for one (fortunately, an isolated event) and they are pretty tight and confining with little privacy. Are such tables readily available in the MDRs and specialty restaurants on the Allure?

Thanks in advance for the advice and guidance...

My wife and I are relative newby cruisers, having just made Platinum on Princess, the only line we've sailed on. Because Princess has abandoned, or scaled back, their offerings on our preferred routes, (and because we very much want to experience RCCL and the monster ships), we are about to pull the trigger on our first RCCL trip. It will be on the Allure for a Western Med trip this September. It's our 25th anniversary, and I'd rather not fall victim to an RCCL senior management social engineering experiment gone wrong, which is what many claim this Dynamic Dining has become. I do understand that it has been withdrawn due to the negative reviews, but I will have to be cynical and assume that it will be on the Allure by the time we sail in 8 months. I wanted to get some advice and feedback from the veteran RCCL cruisers out there as to what to expect IF Dynamic Dining is in place on our trip

Background: We are not "Traditional" dining types at all. We always eat at a table for two, under Anytime Dining when we eat in MDRs, prefer to eat very early, don't do buffets or quick meal venues and don't like to make reservations unless there's a specific table we desire. On Princess, as soon as we board, we head for the Crown Grill and Sabatini's and physically point out the window seats we'd like to have and on which days. They always happily accommodate. On the Allure, there are so many options, I could see us only using an MDR once or twice, eating at the pay per use restaurants most of the time for the variety and experience. We are definitely looking forward to the big ship experience and the dining options

1) I see numerous reports about nightmares in making reservations (not sure if that's on-line or by phone, and whether that's a DD issue or normal practice). Are reservations ABSOLUTELY required, or can we simply take our chances and walk up to any restaurant?

2) When we do reserve, is it possible to physically visit the restaurants we want to book at and make reservations in person, or must it be done electronically? If we can book in person, can it be done upon boarding for the whole week, or only the morning of?

3) Again, we eat very early, and on Princess, rarely had to wait more than a few minutes in the bar with a beeper before getting seated in an MDR. Most of the time, we walk right in. We don't stand in dinner lines ever. Will we encounter problems getting in to an MDR when we arrive soon after opening?

4) How are the Allure's eateries laid out for tables for two? On Princess, the two-seaters are few and some of the the staff clearly don't really

like them very much. We've even had eyes rolled at us when we ask for one (fortunately, an isolated event) and they are pretty tight and confining with little privacy. Are such tables readily available in the MDRs and specialty restaurants on the Allure?

Hi,

At the moment dynamic dining is only available on Quantum and later in the spring on Anthem.

We also prefer a table for two and don't really care what anybody thinks - it's our vacation after all, don't be intimidated by anybody - you wouldn't be expected to share a table on land.

I believe they have a limited number of tables for 2 on all ships and if you call RCI they will request one for you

It will be on the Allure for a Western Med trip this September. It's our 25th anniversary, and I'd rather not fall victim to an RCCL senior management social engineering experiment gone wrong, which is what many claim this Dynamic Dining has become. I do understand that it has been withdrawn due to the negative reviews, but I will have to be cynical and assume that it will be on the Allure by the time we sail in 8 months.

4) How are the Allure's eateries laid out for tables for two? On Princess, the two-seaters are few and some of the the staff clearly don't really like them very much. We've even had eyes rolled at us when we ask for one (fortunately, an isolated event) and they are pretty tight and confining with little privacy. Are such tables readily available in the MDRs and specialty restaurants on the Allure?

1. Not required, especially at your desired dining time.

2. Yes, you can walk up to any of the venues and reserve in person for anytime any day.

3. If you go at 5:30 you are likely to just walk in on every night.

4. Tables for 2 are available but don't look for privacy - they are close to other tables most of the time

The whole point of dynamic dining is about choice and the ability to decide what you want to do and when, not sure why you wouldn't understand the concept. Just as with land based vacations people like to have choice, nobody is forced to go anywhere, on land or at sea!.

There are a lot of people like us who find traditional cruising very dated so Quantum gives us the chance to cruise but also have flexibility.

Not sure why so many people who are opposed to DD are complaining before they have sailed, just accept that it is about giving people more choice. If you don't like the idea don't book. You can find traditional dining on all the other ships in the fleet, it's not as though you have no other options!

I think that you are giving more credence to the complaints about dynamic dining than they are worth and by the time you cruise you will find, if in fact dynamic dining has been introduced to Allure, most or all of the alleged problems will have disappeared.

The presence of beepers on Princess cruises is one of my major reasons for no longer booking that line. To me, their presence is almost a sure sign that i will have to wait, sometimes for a lengthy time, to be seated at dinner. We have never had a lengthy wait to be accommodated in the my time dining sections of RCU ships even when we just walked up to the dining room when we felt like dining. We also didn't have to wait when we sailed on Quantum last November when we sailed on her and dined in a variety of complimentary restaurants (Chic, Grande, American Icon etc.) Reservations may be recommended but they are not required and unless you want to dine at a peak time, you probably won't need them.

We sat at tables for two, four and eight in those restaurants and, as someone has already mentioned, the tables for two are quite close together (something we experienced to an even greater extent on Princess).

Keep an open mind and don't board the ship convinced that your dining experience won't be outstanding and you are likely to come away having had one of the best cruises of your life.:)

Edited by negc

I have read so many reviews pros and cons on this new concept, and I am at the point to just wait and experience it myself this summer if and when it occurs on the Oasis. It is so confusing.

If all else fails we will eat in the Suite venue every night....

At least we have an option.

Safe travels.

Three different MTD restaurants, bam, you have everything you indicate.

This is exactly what Quantum has... except now 5 MTD's including Divinely Decadence

Websters dictionary:

Traditional

-a way of thinking, behaving, or doing something that has been used by the people in a particular group, family, society, etc., for a long time

Dynamic

-always active or changing

-having or showing a lot of energy

-of or relating to energy, motion, or physical force

marked by usually continuous and productive activity or change

I know why you can't understand the point of Dynamic Dining... because you haven't experienced it at all so you're assuming all of your opinions with zero knowledge----

Dynamic Dining: you choose, you make changes, you are in control, constant change every day, exciting

Traditional: Dining: you do not choose, you have no control, you cannot change, it's easy, safe, and non-complex

But no one has said what DD does that MTD cannot do with some tweaks.

That's pretty much exactly what Dynamic Dining is and how it worked for me. It worked for me exactly like MTD on regular ships. Have you sailed Quantum so that you are speaking from actual experience? Or just assuming

And I like MDR too!!! Read my Serenade revue just this past Sept.. best MDR in at least a couple of years for me, it was excellent. But for anyone to comment on Dynamic Dining when having zero experience to support their comments as to why it is/isn't good is ridiculous.

As I have said a bazillion times on this forum, look in the mirror... look at your life. If you are the personality that likes safety, order, non-complexity, then do not under any circumstances book on Quantum. If you are a personality that enjoys excitement, you enjoy having control and making choices, you love been active, Quantum & Dynamic Dining is awesome. And then there are those that enjoy both. I'm glad that you have "looked in the mirror" and feel that DD isn't for you... I think that's 99% of the battle! Happy cruising.:)

I think that you are giving more credence to the complaints about dynamic dining than they are worth and by the time you cruise you will find, if in fact dynamic dining has been introduced to Allure, most or all of the alleged problems will have disappeared.

The presence of beepers on Princess cruises is one of my major reasons for no longer booking that line. To me, their presence is almost a sure sign that i will have to wait, sometimes for a lengthy time, to be seated at dinner. We have never had a lengthy wait to be accommodated in the my time dining sections of RCU ships even when we just walked up to the dining room when we felt like dining. We also didn't have to wait when we sailed on Quantum last November when we sailed on her and dined in a variety of complimentary restaurants (Chic, Grande, American Icon etc.) Reservations may be recommended but they are not required and unless you want to dine at a peak time, you probably won't need them.

We sat at tables for two, four and eight in those restaurants and, as someone has already mentioned, the tables for two are quite close together (something we experienced to an even greater extent on Princess).

Keep an open mind and don't board the ship convinced that your dining experience won't be outstanding and you are likely to come away having had one of the best cruises of your life.:)

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I've spent enough time on CC that I do realize the really negative wingeing usually comes from a small subset of the population that are never satisfied by things not meeting their exactling standards, and that things are rarely as bad as they are made out to be. (Princess took a massive hit when they introduced what were made out to be the worst ships ever, the Royal and Regal; we LOVED the two and find them our favorite ships.)

Re the tables for two being close together, I take it that's ONLY in the dining rooms, and that when you pay for a specialty dining experience, the tables are more like "regular" restaurant seating?

I'm glad to hear that my concerns about dining are unfounded and things will be "the same only different" from what we are used to. The sheer variety of options is going to be fantastic.

This is exactly what Quantum has... except now 5 MTD's including Divinely Decadence

Websters dictionary:

Traditional

-a way of thinking, behaving, or doing something that has been used by the people in a particular group, family, society, etc., for a long time

Dynamic

-always active or changing

-having or showing a lot of energy

-of or relating to energy, motion, or physical force

marked by usually continuous and productive activity or change

I know why you can't understand the point of Dynamic Dining... because you haven't experienced it at all so you're assuming all of your opinions with zero knowledge----

Dynamic Dining: you choose, you make changes, you are in control, constant change every day, exciting

Traditional: Dining: you do not choose, you have no control, you cannot change, it's easy, safe, and non-complex

That's pretty much exactly what Dynamic Dining is and how it worked for me. It worked for me exactly like MTD on regular ships. Have you sailed Quantum so that you are speaking from actual experience? Or just assuming

And I like MDR too!!! Read my Serenade revue just this past Sept.. best MDR in at least a couple of years for me, it was excellent. But for anyone to comment on Dynamic Dining when having zero experience to support their comments as to why it is/isn't good is ridiculous.

As I have said a bazillion times on this forum, look in the mirror... look at your life. If you are the personality that likes safety, order, non-complexity, then do not under any circumstances book on Quantum. If you are a personality that enjoys excitement, you enjoy having control and making choices, you love been active, Quantum & Dynamic Dining is awesome. And then there are those that enjoy both. I'm glad that you have "looked in the mirror" and feel that DD isn't for you... I think that's 99% of the battle! Happy cruising.:)

Very well put!:)

The sheer variety of options is going to be fantastic.

Ah... so you like "the sheer variety of options", having choices, the anticipation of change and making decisions... yes, I think you will love Quantum and Dynamic dining if this is the case. Get involved with activities, try and do everything you can... such a fun energetic ship with tons of things to do, including relaxing when you need it. You're going to have a blast!

Have a great cruise! :D

People who vacation at resorts or theme parks are used to DD on land.

Could you name the resorts that require reservations for restaurants months in advance? Or that even require all reservation for restaurants before you arrive?

Please list at least 20 or so since you say all and I have found none.

I don't understand people making up stories to justify DD.

I have one question that will determine if I take RCL with DD.

If I do make reservations can I get seated within fifteen minutes of wanting eat. That is will someone that I walk up to that will determine what restaurant has a minimum wait time and reserve a seat for me while I get there.

I am one that don't like lines and would wait over 15 minutes for a restaurant. I walk out and find another restaurant (we eat out about 5 times a week).

I have been on over 30 cruises including 4 river cruises and budget 20K a year for travel. I would think the ship itself as a destination.

I don't want to make reservations before the cruise, and only make them the day before if at all.
Could you name the resorts that require reservations for restaurants months in advance? Or that even require all reservation for restaurants before you arrive?

And I don't understand people who feel it necessary to brag - on an anonymous internet forum, no less - about their $20k vacation spending. But heck, maybe if you explain that to the ship staff they'll realize just how important you really are, and make sure you never have to wait. :rolleyes:

Disneyworld.