Am I the only one who could care less about drink packages?

Cathy Maneri

I get so exhausted just reading about Celebrity's drink packages, how to upgrade, what's included, am I getting hoodwinked, am I getting my money's worth...yikes! Is this what life and taking a vacation is all about?

I'm on vacation, I want a stress-free cruise. If I want a drink, I just go up to any bar and order what I want, when I want it. Charge my sea pass and I can relax and enjoy it.

I feel sorry for the bartenders, it must make them crazy as well.

Folks, can't we just relax and enjoy our cruise experience without getting nutty about drink packages and what you are going to get or not get.

I care about having the drink package, so I guess I could care less. I'm looking forward to my drink package.

You mention having a stress-free vacation. For me, being able to order (virtually) whatever I want, when I want it without a whopping bar tab at the end of the trip contributes to a stress-free trip.

I care about having the drink package, so I guess I could care less. I'm looking forward to my drink package.

You mention having a stress-free vacation. For me, being able to order (virtually) whatever I want, when I want it without a whopping bar tab at the end of the trip contributes to a stress-free trip.

Like!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure of the OPs point. If we have a drink package we just go up to a bar (or to a bar waiter) and order a drink. If we do not have a drink package we do the same thing. Either way, the bar tender makes the drink. In either case they scan the cruise card although there is no receipt (and nothing to sign) if you have a drink package (which is less stress on the bartender).

Not sure about the other remarks regarding "stress" as the only "stress" might be the shock to discover a zero bar bill at the end of the cruise.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I get so exhausted just reading about Celebrity's drink packages, how to upgrade, what's included, am I getting hoodwinked, am I getting my money's worth...yikes! Is this what life and taking a vacation is all about?

I'm on vacation, I want a stress-free cruise. If I want a drink, I just go up to any bar and order what I want, when I want it. Charge my sea pass and I can relax and enjoy it.

Folks, can't we just relax and enjoy our cruise experience without getting nutty about drink packages and what you are going to get or not get.

If it exhausts you to read about drink packages, then don't read about it.

It really IS that simple :)

I had questions about the drink package, read most of the threads, and yet I am very relaxed.

I will absolutely enjoy my cruise experience AND not have to worry about a large bar bill at the end.

To each his own.

(And the phrase should be "I couldn't care less", because your way, it makes no sense! If you could care less, it means you care - at least somewhat.)

Have you considered Disney cruise lines? It is more family friendly and most

likely less alcohol. We have never sailed them and don't know if they have any drink pkgs.

To answer the question in the title of this thread, no, you're not the only one who doesn't care about the drink package; I don't think it's worth it for us, because my wife hardly drinks, & I don't drink enough to warrant it, & I'm sure there are many others who, for various reasons, pick another of the offered perks.

But I do fully understand those that want it. Either they drink enough to make it worthwhile, or they just want not have to worry about a big bar bill at the end of their cruise.

As far as obsessing about, heck much of the fun of planning & anticipating a cruise is the obsession of planning! It just human nature. You sit & think of all the little things that you anticipate & want to find out about them. Even if Iv'e sailed a particular ship before, It's find I gravitate to every thread about that ship. It's just part of the fun.

Edited by richsea

If it exhausts you to read about drink packages, then don't read about it.

It really IS that simple :)

I had questions about the drink package, read most of the threads, and yet I am very relaxed.

I will absolutely enjoy my cruise experience AND not have to worry about a large bar bill at the end.

To each his own.

(And the phrase should be "I couldn't care less", because your way, it makes no sense! If you could care less, it means you care - at least somewhat.)

Thank you for that! I believe the OP COULD actually care much less since she cared enough to start a thread about her exhaustion on the subject.

:D

Apparently, the answer is yes.

Have you considered Disney cruise lines? It is more family friendly and most

likely less alcohol. We have never sailed them and don't know if they have any drink pkgs.

No drink packages, but they have wine packages, a beer deal with refillable mug. And, you can bring on unlimited alcohol with you. Free soft drinks, juice, etc all day for mixers!

Even though I am one of the guilty asking about the drink package, Cathy, I do understand what you mean about all the questions on this board.

I think that Airbalancer suggestion for a Sticky is an excellent idea! The stateroom number Sticky has been so helpful. ;) Which reminds me...

Off subject: If anyone reading this thread has not contributed to the Stateroom Sticky and posted about your recent stateroom experience, please do so. The last couple of times that I have searched for a stateroom number, I have not been able to find anything. I think some of us have gotten lazy about reporting.

Edited by Iamthesea

Even though I am one of the guilty asking about the drink package, Cathy, I do understand what you mean about all the questions on this board.

I think that Airbalancer suggestion for a Sticky is an excellent idea! The stateroom number Sticky has been so helpful. ;) Which reminds me...

Off subject: If anyone reading this thread has not contributed to the Stateroom Sticky and posted about your recent stateroom experience, please do so. The last couple of times that I have searched for a stateroom number, I have not been able to find anything. I think some of us have gotten lazy about reporting.

You might want to start a new thread about the stateroom sticky. I have also noticed that many rooms are not noted on the spreadsheet.

As far as obsessing about, heck much of the fun of planning & anticipating a cruise is the obsession of planning! It just human nature. You sit & think of all the little things that you anticipate & want to find out about them. Even if Iv'e sailed a particular ship before, It's find I gravitate to every thread about that ship. It's just part of the fun.

Richsea, I love this. My husband can't understand why I obsess, plan and read every thread up until our cruise. He thinks I'm stressing, but what I'm really doing is enjoying my vacation before it even starts. It's like a vacation warm-up. He likes to go with the flow, I like to make the flow.

On the issue of the OP's drink package remark, like the majority of people I LOVE the idea of a package. I've never had one on previous cruises and I'm looking forward to ordering without thinking about the cost.

For those of us with moderate incomes, several drinks a day (specialty coffees, juices/smoothies, an occasional alcoholic beverage) adds up a big chunk of money. $10 is no big deal, but $200-$300 at the end is something I HAVE to think about in order to determine if it's worth the cost at the end. With the package, I don't have to decide each time if having a drink at that particular time is worth it - I can just have it if I want it. Fun! Stress-free! No math, no running totals getting in the way of my good time.

My guess is that for people with larger incomes it makes less of a difference. As an example, I'm traveling with my parents. They've had the kids out of the nest for a long time, paid off their house, and are retired and living off a lifetime of working and wise saving. They don't care much about the cost. I saved them (and us) $200 by catching a price drop a couple months after booking. I was excited and planning how to use the extra $$ towards my vacation. When I called my parents and told them about their savings, they were mildly pleased, but really didn't care a whole lot.

Edited by renaroo

I think one reason for so many threads is that X sells their cruises with the 123 promotion that can include a drink package. I don't care for it, and I don't intend to book a cruise with the package or any of the other 123 gimmicks. But that is just me.

Having the drink package or not would not diminish my cruise other than knowing I have paid for something I will not use. Something X is counting on.

I think one reason for so many threads is that X sells their cruises with the 123 promotion that can include a drink package. I don't care for it, and I don't intend to book a cruise with the package or any of the other 123 gimmicks. But that is just me.

Having the drink package or not would not diminish my cruise other than knowing I have paid for something I will not use. Something X is counting on.

So you just won't cruise X until there is no more 123 promotion or you simply refuse the OBC and free gratuities? I don't understand.

Edited by Scott2.0

There are a lot of threads and things discussed here that I don't care about. Most of the time the thread subject will let me know whether to open it or not. If it says anything referring to 123, drink package etc., then just ignore it. It's very easily done. Can't see the issue.

I've been aware of the drink packages but, until the recent promos, I knew I wasn't interested in purchasing one. Now that it's been comped on our next couple of cruises, I've become very interested to learn as much as I can about the Classic and Premium Packages. Why? I can see if my usual beverages (alcohol and non) are covered by the comp, I can compare what I've purchased in the past to the value of what the comp covers, I want to be a savvy consumer before I consider upgrading and, if I upgrade, do I want to do it pre-cruise or after a few days into the cruise. If not for these threads, I'd have very little info to base my decisions. Once I've done this homework, my cruise becomes less stressful, not more.

On a related note, I think it's been brilliant marketing strategy on the part of X. If I like the ease and "stress-free" way of getting my beverages through one of these packages, I'll probably purchase them in the future. If the Classic remains comped, I won't grouse about the higher cruise fare that's charged (and it's pretty clear that is happening.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app