Pay CLOSE attention to final Stateroom Bill!! (PRIORITY FOR NON US GUESTS)

FYI, for those on multiple cruise forums, this is a cut and paste repost.

Hi.

This is my first post, but I have been "lurking" and reading for a while now. Lots of helpful stuff here. Thank you.

I have done 13 cruises in the last 7 years, and for the most part very much enjoy the cruising experience, and more often than not find myself as an ambassador to the whole experience for people who have never gone.

I just recently returned from Oasis. I had been on Allure a few years ago, and overall had a great experience. Allure was my first real experience with an even more heightened sense of the "up sell". Meh, whatever, cruise line wants to increase the bottom line. I must say however, it's gotten to be a little much. I found this trip to be a few small steps away from being on the beach in the Dominican. Granted it took far fewer no thank you's but I don't feel too relaxed when I can't walk more than a few feet without someone selling me something. Yes asking me every 25 feet to have my picture taken is included in this. Literally half the nights MID dinner, MID chew I have someone coming to take pictures. Can I at least not just enjoy my meal? Whats next? A portrait while I sit on the toilet?

This post however is not about that.

I have a major issue with a billing experience that is being claimed to be an "accident", but it seems to be just that with the 3 other guests traveling with me. To most of you Americans this is not something you will ever experience, but to Canadians, or any other "foreign" guests, Absolutely.

When you do online check in, and set up your sea pass card, you are asked if you would like to be billed in USD and have YOUR credit card convert the charges, or if you would like RCL to do it through them and bill your card in local currency. For us, being Canadian Dollars. After several cruises, and being a stickler for fine print, I know there is a MORE than healthy additional commission RCL takes so this time, like every time, I elect to be billed in US dollars, and my CC will do the conversion.

So I get my stateroom bill on the morning of departure. Have a quick look and low and behold, there it is.

1 USD = 1.288 CDN

You have elected to have RCL convert your on board USD charges to Canadian Dollars.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I go to Guest services, which most of you know is a nightmare at that time, and basically am told no worries, correct it when I get back.

My experience doing this has gone as follows.

On hold for 45 minutes before I get someone. I explain the situation. She puts me on hold. Comes back and tells me that if I selected "the box", then I selected to have RCL do the conversion. I tell her there were 2 boxes to select from, not one. She puts me on hold again. She comes back and this time says the charges have already gone through so she can't do anything. Clearly I make a stink about it. Guess what....? You'got it... on hold again. She comes back and says all that can be done is for me to send in my statements showing the charges. Ummmm... REALLY? You can't refund the charges and do it as I indicated and authorized on check in because I've already been billed, but at the same time you need me to send you the statement showing confirmation I was billed before you can correct your mistake? Whatever, I've been on the phone with you fools for well over an hour now. I'll just send what you're asking.

Well just now I get an email back:

"For each invoice, I need a bank statement showing what the bank;s conversion rates are. I also need to know if they charge a fee to convert the funds"

I didn't even know where to start with this ridiculous email.

How about I was billed IN Canadian, so there was no conversion rate? YOU DID IT!

Or, how about there would be no way even if I just got the rate from the bank to know because it would change every day.

OR.

How about the NONE OF THAT MATTERS BECAUSE YOU MADE A MISTAKE AND DID YOUR OWN CONVERSION AGAINST MY AUTHORIZATION.

Mistakes happen, but every step of the way through this process clearly tells me it's likely common practice and dealt with on a case by case basis with likely very little push back. One last kick at the guest to squeeze a few more bucks out at an additional 3% conversion commission I never authorized. At least when I catch you, don't try to continue to stonewall.

Well done RCL. All the hard work by the people on Oasis, flushed down the toilet as I arrive home with this sour taste in my mouth.

I will find another line for my cruising dollars in the future!

Unfortunately it happens all the time to me as a non-US guest on RCI. It has happened so often that last time I actually took a photo of my SetSail pass that clearly showed that I had elected for my UK bank and card issuer to convert the RCI charge from USD to GBP, not RCI.

I stopped by Guest Relations mid cruise to check and low and behold I was advised to the contrary that I must have chosen for RCI to convert to GBP. I produced my photo and requested it was changed. I was then advised that this is a common issue of miscommunication from terminal check in and the ship.

It was changed, albeit reluctantly as I was told it was a lot of work and it may not be possible. I advised that it had been changed on previous occasions and suggested that the 'miscommunication' issue is addressed.

Sorry you weren't aware that it is necessary to discuss with Guest Services during the cruise for a satisfactory outcome.

Don't let it put you off, it hasn't me, but I know I have at least one visit to Guest Services to make during my cruise. (Other issues are making me reconsider RCI).

I've seen similar posts here over the years. This seems to be a very common occurrence.

I wonder if a visit to guest services during your cruise to verify the choice to have your credit card do the conversion would make a difference? Not ideal but probably worth a try.........

Honestly, I gave up. After having an experience like yours years ago, where I waited in line pregnant to sort it out time and time again after they continued to mess up, I just gave up and let the chips fall where they may. Regardless of what I specified, they were determined to do it whichever way they chose. It wasn't worth my sanity. I agree, it is very frustrating.

I've seen similar posts here over the years. This seems to be a very common occurrence.

I wonder if a visit to guest services during your cruise to verify the choice to have your credit card do the conversion would make a difference? Not ideal but probably worth a try.........

Makes no difference. It all depends upon the competency of the person you are dealing with... essentially a crap shoot.

Thanks for the heads up! I can't remember what happened on our previous cruises, TBH, but with our sinking dollar I'm going to be watching closely. Our credit card has a decent conversion rate with no extra fee.

The idea of taking a photo of your SetSail pass, and visiting Guest Services mid-cruise are good. I'm going to do that.

Wondering what others' booking situation was? I've booked this cruise in US dollars, just simply because I had the website switched over to US to do price comparison. So I've paid in US$ all along (deposit, final payment) with my cc doing the conversion from US to CDN. My Cruise Planner is in US (excursions etc). Wonder if that impacts how the "system" addresses that little check box on the Set Sail pass?

Have dealt with this over the years as well. What we do now is ask for a printout of our bill mid-cruise, or any day, really. See what it says at the bottom: USD - good to go. ANYTHING ELSE, get it fixed while still onboard.

Hope you get it all worked out and will give RCI another try. They have a good product.

Having said that, now I go back to your initial comment:

I have done 13 cruises in the last 7 years... when I can't walk more than a few feet without someone selling me something. Yes asking me every 25 feet to have my picture taken is included in this. Literally half the nights MID dinner, MID chew I have someone coming to take pictures. Can I at least not just enjoy my meal? Whats next? A portrait while I sit on the toilet?

Are you saying there was none of this on your other 13 cruises? Come on. No offense, but I find that hard to believe.

Hi,

We have also experienced this on RCI, a cruiser we met on board gave us a tip, and it works. We have sailed 5 times using the tip and it has worked every time.

During checking in online, check the option to pay your account with cash. Do not give any card details at this stage.

When arriving at the pier, and handing over your set sail pass, the agent will confirm you wish to pay by cash for your onboard account. At this point simply say, I have changed my mind, please can I add my credit card to pay for my account instead?

She will then issue you with a very small contract to add your card details to and sign, you get a copy, she keeps one for the ship. There is a tick box at the bottom for either converting or to pay in USD.

You have your carbon copy of your agreement with RCI.

Enjoy your vacation with no hassle.

:-)

Has this happened on any of the other 7 cruises? Allure? I assume the conversion they gave you is low but did you look to see what the rate was for that day? Right now the conversion is 1.25 so if they use a current rate to convert wouldn't it cost you more to have them change. I know its the principal of it but when I look at what the rates had been a $15-$30 difference on every 1k doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

Unfortunately it happens all the time to me as a non-US guest on RCI. It has happened so often that last time I actually took a photo of my SetSail pass that clearly showed that I had elected for my UK bank and card issuer to convert the RCI charge from USD to GBP, not RCI.

I stopped by Guest Relations mid cruise to check and low and behold I was advised to the contrary that I must have chosen for RCI to convert to GBP. I produced my photo and requested it was changed. I was then advised that this is a common issue of miscommunication from terminal check in and the ship.

It was changed, albeit reluctantly as I was told it was a lot of work and it may not be possible. I advised that it had been changed on previous occasions and suggested that the 'miscommunication' issue is addressed.

Sorry you weren't aware that it is necessary to discuss with Guest Services during the cruise for a satisfactory outcome.

Don't let it put you off, it hasn't me, but I know I have at least one visit to Guest Services to make during my cruise. (Other issues are making me reconsider RCI).

You should have pointed out how odd it is that there was no miscommunication from the terminal check-in and the ship on the information that they needed to be sure RCI could bill your credit card for all of your charges. The only miscommunication was on how you wanted the conversion done. They even ask this question when you do your on-line check in. How many times do you have to tell them your preference for them to get it right?

Hi,

We have also experienced this on RCI, a cruiser we met on board gave us a tip, and it works. We have sailed 5 times using the tip and it has worked every time.

During checking in online, check the option to pay your account with cash. Do not give any card details at this stage.

When arriving at the pier, and handing over your set sail pass, the agent will confirm you wish to pay by cash for your onboard account. At this point simply say, I have changed my mind, please can I add my credit card to pay for my account instead?

She will then issue you with a very small contract to add your card details to and sign, you get a copy, she keeps one for the ship. There is a tick box at the bottom for either converting or to pay in USD.

You have your carbon copy of your agreement with RCI.

Enjoy your vacation with no hassle.

:-)

Don't expect this to always work. The first time that we sailed Oasis our, and many other people's, CC information never transferred from the terminal to the ship. No one was notified until the cruise was over and we were about to leave the ship and we were stopped at the gangway. The customer service rep said that transfer issues were common and if we wanted to avoid future problems we should set up our seapass account AFTER we board the ship. I then calmly said to the gentleman... do you really want 3000 people doing a second check in after they board the ship in order to avoid problems? How about RCI fixes the issue that you are obviously aware exists... He, of course, just looked at me with nothing to say.

You should have pointed out how odd it is that there was no miscommunication from the terminal check-in and the ship on the information that they needed to be sure RCI could bill your credit card for all of your charges. The only miscommunication was on how you wanted the conversion done. They even ask this question when you do your on-line check in. How many times do you have to tell them your preference for them to get it right?

I did point that out, and how often do you have to tell them to get it right? Every time I sail, without fail.:)

We book cruises through a Canadian TA and pay with a CDN CC. When we check in we us a US$ CC for our shipboard account and elect to have the charges remain in US$. Two cruises in a row RCI converted the US$ into CDN$ then charged that CDN amount to our US$ CC who then charged us to convert it back to US$!

And you think you have problems:cool:

Last cruise (a B2B) we had to visit GS on both cruises to ensure we were being charged in US$. First cruise they tried the same scam and we caugt it. Second cruise all was good.

It's unfortunate we have to take valuable vacation time to ensure RCI is dong what they are suppose to do:(

That's frustrating. I've had the same issue a couple times, they insist that I checked to have them do the conversion. Which I didn't. Eventually they relent and re-do it as USD. Thankfully I haven't had it drag on as long as you have. Good luck!

I have been successful in dealing with this by either paying in US dollar travellers cheques that I purchased from my bank - no fee to purchase - just the exchange rate on the day of purchase or even better I now have an American dollar bank acct linked to my regular bank account and I pay no monthly fees. When the rates are good(not now!!!) I buy Am dollars and deposit in it. There is a Am dollar visa card with the account and I am careful to use it on holidays to pay any bills. For you Canadians it is TD but all major banks probably do the same.

Last time, they somehow lost my credit card, which I discovered on the last day, and had to go to GS to get it re-added. :rolleyes:

Never had a problem with currency, though, because the thing specifically states that they can only do the conversion for Visa and I don't remember what else, but Amex isn't in the list.

So I give them my Amex card. :)

Even though I book and pay using a CDN $ credit card when I check in I use a US$ credit card that is issued by my Canadian bank. Never had a problem. Do not check either box on the form.

We too do not check any box on the form since the difference to us is negligible (RCI charge 3% versus my UK card provider fee of 2.99%) :rolleyes: