Canadian cruisers!!

I just looked and saw the 'cheaper' drink packages that everyone has been talking about. When you get your cruise price in Canadian $, I assume that also represents the exchange rate they use for everything else? Is it possible that RCI offering a better exchange rate would help with your cruise fare? Our category is sold out for August, but was wondering if it might be worth a call....:D

For anybody interested.

For the Toronto School Board - Pending Board of Education Approval.

school year calendar 2016-2017

Christmas Break - Dec 26/16 to Jan 6/17 (inclusive). Last day of school is Dec 23/16. School resumes Jan 9/17

March break - 'March 13 to 17, 2017

The Ontario Ministry of Education does publish School Year Calendars for the guidance of local school boards across the province. The current version has projected school holidays up until June 2019.

The catch is that with provincial ministry approval, local school boards can alter the dates. This doesn't happen that often...only in years when Christmas falls on a weekend.

For example, for the Christmas 2016 break, the official ministry guideline is that the last day of school should be Dec 16 and that kids go back Jan 2. However, some school boards (including ours here in Ottawa) have applied to the Ministry to push it back a week, so that kids would end school on Dec. 23, and not go back until Jan 9. I would be very surprised if the ministry doesn't approve this request.

For those of us contemplating cruises with kids in school boards that have pushed the Xmas break into the first week of January, the big advantage is the availability and pricing of cruises should be significantly cheaper for the week of January 1st, with most kids in North America already back at school. Our board here in Ottawa did the same switch back in Xmas 2011...we got a much better deal on a cruise that left New Year's eve, and post-cruise spent two days in Orlando theme parks that were MUCH less crowded than the Christmas peak!

Also note - francophone school boards in Ontario as practice follow a different school year calendar. Kids at those schools go back in late August, have an earlier March Break, and finish school earlier in June.

I just looked and saw the 'cheaper' drink packages that everyone has been talking about. When you get your cruise price in Canadian $, I assume that also represents the exchange rate they use for everything else? Is it possible that RCI offering a better exchange rate would help with your cruise fare? Our category is sold out for August, but was wondering if it might be worth a call....:D

How much were they? My cruise is too far in advance to see. Thanks.

Thanks for the info! I heard that UP is decreasing prices to $9 with a presto card as of tomorrow so I will probably end up doing that as I live close to a GO train station or using Aeroplan points to get a airport hotel the night before. I had a nightmare that I used an airport car service and there was an accident on the highway, which caused me to miss my flight!!

That's horrible! Our flight next week is at 10:55am and we are staying at an airport hotel to reduce the risk of taking cab or limo that morning. We had an early morning limo once and the guy was falling asleep driving to the airport.

The cost of that train from Union to Pearson is headed in the right direction.

I'm on the rcl site trying to get some rates but it will not let me see anything in Canadian funds. this is a first and have never had this happen before. anyone else have this issue?

Try clearing your web browser's cache and cookies. Also, you can change the region to Canada at the very bottom of RCI's web site. If you are seeing USD prices, it probably thinks you are in the United States. Click on that and you will have the opportunity to change the country, which is what also influences the currency you see.

Thanks for the info! I heard that UP is decreasing prices to $9 with a presto card as of tomorrow so I will probably end up doing that as I live close to a GO train station or using Aeroplan points to get a airport hotel the night before. I had a nightmare that I used an airport car service and there was an accident on the highway, which caused me to miss my flight!!

Yes...I took UP Express for the first time two weeks ago...very convenient.

While ancient history now, also worth noting during the two weeks after after they had announced the price change but before it came into effect, passengers paying the 'old' price were being given a coupon for a second free trip.

Looks like we were not allowed to talked about an agent even without referring to them directly by name - good to know for future reference! I just confirmed my booking is in CAD so I am happy.

Now if only the CAD exchange rate would get better!!

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

I was lucky to find an American agent that does my bookings in CDN funds (so I don't get extra service charges on CC) and always gives me a minimum $200 OBC on top of what the cruiseline gives for perks. Doesn't matter what category I book. Sometimes gives a free speciialty restaurant for2 also. Has called me about price drop twice on upcoming cruise. He was right on it, to help me get the most for the best value point. He used the "resident" rate, as it was the most beneficial. On our B2B next year, he gave 250 OBC and Sp.Rest. for each leg.

It can make a difference if you shop around for an agent that goes above and beyond.

I think it was luck to find an agent who can do that every time for you...I don't of anyone who receives those kinds of perks, nor have I ever received it.....

Not sure how easy it is to "shop around" for an agent who is going to give you extra perks as usually that comes with time and they don't hand them out to every person who calls for a quote....

If I am wrong....I'll gladly admit it when I find someone like that...lol

Is that to actually buy OBC? I noticed gifts and gear is about 1.33 this morning. Moët & Chandon is either $90 US or $119 CDN

1.33? Is that actually? That is not terrible. 1.5 is actually terrible right now making back the money lost when it was 1.1

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

1.33? Is that actually? That is not terrible. 1.5 is actually terrible right now making back the money lost when it was 1.1

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

It seems to have dropped a bit in the last week. A week ago Beringer White Zin was $51 something, it's $47.95 today

Just my luck ! Purchased $1000 USD for our cruise about a month ago thinking CAD was going to keep dropping - cost me $1400. Now I know why I don't gamble :-(

I know how you must feel.. it's very maddening but just focus on that cruise and forget about the exchange rate! ;) I've been buying $50 at a time but I don't need mine till next year. :) Think I'll wait a bit and see what's happening before I buy any more.