Complimentary drink upon boarding ship?

jjdshoe

We have cruised one other time on NCL back in 2009 and we absolutely loved how they handed out complimentary glasses of champagne and OJ. Do they still do this?

Alas, no, they stopped doing this several years ago (we received a glass in 2009 but not in 2010).

Edited by sparks1093

No, unfortunately they don't. It may have been a cost savings measure but I think it more likely was a time saving thing. The crew have so much to do on embarkation day that handing these out and more importantly gathering up the glasses from all over the ship. You would see them everywhere when they used to do this. Although it wasn't the greatest champagne (sparkling wine) it was a nice touch that we enjoyed but understand why they would cancel this.

No, unfortunately they don't. It may have been a cost savings measure but I think it more likely was a time saving thing. The crew have so much to do on embarkation day that handing these out and more importantly gathering up the glasses from all over the ship. You would see them everywhere when they used to do this. Although it wasn't the greatest champagne (sparkling wine) it was a nice touch that we enjoyed but understand why they would cancel this.

Yes, just about everyone took one even if they did not drink and then the glasses were all over the place. And, some people had to juggle their carry on bags,jackets, etc and spilled it.

Yea, nice touch, but not practical when boarding 3,000 people in two hours or so.

A man walked into a bar and sat down, and ordered a beer. As he sipped the beer, he heard a soothing voice say “nice tie!” Looking around, he noticed that the bar was empty except for himself and the bartender at the end of the bar. A few sips later the voice said “beautiful shirt“.

At this, the man called the bartender over. “Hey…I must be losing my mind,” he told the bartender. “I keep hearing these voices saying nice things, and there’s not a soul in here but us.

It’s the peanuts,” answered the bartender.

Say what?

You heard me,” said the barkeep. “It’s the peanuts … they’re complimentary.

We have cruised one other time on NCL back in 2009 and we absolutely loved how they handed out complimentary glasses of champagne and OJ. Do they still do this?

nope, they stopped that a couple of years ago. it seems more champagne was being wasted than was being drank. We noticed the same thing on Celebrity; most people were wasting the bubbly, but at least they still offer it I think.

A man walked into a bar and sat down, and ordered a beer. As he sipped the beer, he heard a soothing voice say “nice tie!” Looking around, he noticed that the bar was empty except for himself and the bartender at the end of the bar. A few sips later the voice said “beautiful shirt“.

At this, the man called the bartender over. “Hey…I must be losing my mind,” he told the bartender. “I keep hearing these voices saying nice things, and there’s not a soul in here but us.

Say what?

Colin ---- Go to your room ---- You are on timeout for one hour !! lol

I find it comical that the apologists claim they stopped serving free drinks for any other reason than to save money. Too much work for the crew? Juggling glasses and carry-ons? Many, many cruise lines have done it for years without issue. All of a sudden NCL turns practical? Not bloody likely. They stopped doing it purely to save money. Ask any high level staff and they will give you the correct answer.

I find it comical that the apologists claim they stopped serving free drinks for any other reason than to save money. Too much work for the crew? Juggling glasses and carry-ons? Many, many cruise lines have done it for years without issue. All of a sudden NCL turns practical? Not bloody likely. They stopped doing it purely to save money. Ask any high level staff and they will give you the correct answer.

I think Veatch started the champagne thing, and it went out the door when he did !!!

Along with some other things they had to change to keep NCL from going down the tubes. Like maybe taking a couple of ships out of Hawaii and some other little things they did.

Edited by swedish weave

It was a nice classy act while it lasted. Cruising is a business and a business will always find ways to save money. But I agree, I do get a laugh if some have other justification for it stopping. There will always be those holding up an umbrella and insist it's not raining :eek: They live in their own reality.

I agree with you to an extent. They did it to save money on bubbly that was mostly wasted. Poor use of dollars.

I found it a nuisance. The time for champagne or a cheaper sparkling wine is not while juggling rolling luggage down a corridor but rather after unloading the bags and relaxing. I prefer a sailaway toast to an embarkation toast.

As we stepped on to the Breakaway 2 years ago, we were greeted immediately by a server with a big tray of tropical drinks in NCL souvenir cocktail glasses. Welcoming us happily and then "please take one" the server said. So we all took one. All 8 of us. He was so personable and made sure we all tasted our drinks still greeting us and telling us what a great cruise we'll have. He then asked my husband to what cabin number should they be charged. $108 later.... that was a valuable lesson about free drinks on cruises for me!

Say what?

That is the worst joke I have ever heard, don't you know that the funniest people don't tell jokes expect this one a grasshopper walks into a bar the bartender says ''hey we have a drink named after you'' and the grasshopper says '' you have a drink named bob''

That is the worst joke I have ever heard, don't you know that the funniest people don't tell jokes expect this one a grasshopper walks into a bar the bartender says ''hey we have a drink named after you'' and the grasshopper says '' you have a drink named bob''

OK !! The termite in the bar asked " Is the bar tender here?"