Questions about an Alaskan Cruise

GoofyCrew

We are new to cruising and just returned from our first cruise. Now we have a credit burning a hole in our pocket and are trying to price out an Alaskan cruise. I have a few questions in regards to an Alaskan cruise. Maybe these are stupid questions, and maybe there are answers elsewhere, but I didn't find anything in the search that was specific to these:

7 Day round trip or straight line?

Which do you prefer - a 7 day round trip or a 7 day straight line trip? Obviously a straight line trip would having higher airfare because you'd have to fly to/from different start/end point, right? But it also takes you further north into Alaska.

Balcony vs. Not

We knew it was risky - as in we'd get hooked - but we had a balcony and LOVED it!

If we go at the end of June is it worth the extra money for a balcony? Initially I think that the answer is 'yes' for all of the same reasons it was worth it on the Caribbean (private outdoor space whenever we wanted, fresh air, etc.). I am just curious just how COLD is it? In the Caribbean we sat out there to soak up the sun and warmth. I don't think that is as feasible in Alaska. ;) I can check that average air temps and see that they are in the mid 50s -low 60s. I can live with a sweatshirt and jeans but is it too bitterly cold to even sit out there? Isn't it noticeably colder when you get in those narrow areas with the glaciers. I am just trying to see if the extra $1,000 is worth it or not.

The Sea

How far out to see are you on this cruise? Our DD didn't fair the best on our roughest sea day so I was curious just how crazy the water gets up there? The pictures of the inside passage look pretty calm.

I know that the balcony debate and the 7 day roundtrip vs. 7 day straight line are mostly personal preference, but any insight you can provide might be helpful in our decision making.

Thanks in advance!

We did a round trip from Vancouver and loved it, but it all depends on what you want out of it as the itinerary is slightly different with one ways, definitely get a balcony if you are doing glacier bay the ship will go by the really close stuff on each side so all can see from their balcony. We had the owners suite in September was worth every penny for the balcony view and space. Our friends had the inside cabin and didnt get to enjoy any veiw during the mornings and evenings with their coffee and cocktails respectively. As far as the roughness of the sea goes it's a crap shoot, the cruise before us had nothing but glass like conditions where as we had some very nautical weather causing many to get a bit put off, at the very least a balcony can help the sea sickness by focusing on the horizon

We have been to Alaska only once, in August 2009, on Princess, which was our first cruise. It was a wonderful trip and would go again in a heartbeat.

Ours was a 7-day roundtrip from Seattle with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria, B.C.

Someday I would like to do the one-way cruise with a land tour added in, but I can't comment on that, not having done it.

We had a balcony because everyone recommended it and in my opinion it was well worth it. We were in sight of land for the whole trip north (except at night!) so there was always something to look at. Also, when we stopped at our glacier (?) and the ship did a 360, we could watch from the comfort of our own balcony. I don't know about the temps in June but it was comfortable most of the time in August.

We were in pretty calm waters all the way up to Skagway. It got a little rough on the next to last day when we sailed west of Vancouver Island to Victoria and I was a little sick -- not sure if it was seasickness or something else -- maybe exhaustion from all the activity of our first cruise.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll hear from many with much more experience than me.

If you loved the balcony in the Caribbean, you MUST get one for Alaska!

Most of the cruise you are in the Inside Passage and, weather permitting, can see "land" on both sides of the ship. It is very calm and I have never had any rough seas there on our Alaskan cruises. One thing that is very, very common while cruising the Inside Passage is seeing a lot of wildlife; bears on shore, sea lions, otters, whales, bald eagles, etc. The water in the Inside Passage is teaming with life.

Our first Alaskan cruise was from Whittier to Vancouver. The rest have been "round trip" cruises. To be honest I don't think I would pay any extra to do the "one way" cruise if all the other ports / sights are the same. We don't get seasick, but the "one way" cruise would have the most possibility of getting swells during the open ocean portion of that cruise.

Alaskan cruises typically have a choice between Glacier Bay and Sawyer Glacier. Choose Glacier Bay if you can. Your ship goes into the bay near the huge cliffs of McBride Glacier and, if you are lucky, you will see the glacier calving with huge chunks of ice loudly cracking off and falling into the sea. Opportunistic bald eagles fly in to take advantage of the fish stirred up from the bottom with the falling ice.

So the don't miss thing is, in my opinion, Glacier Bay and the Inside Passage. Those are the two things we really enjoy.

Juneau also has the Mendenhall Glacier area, a national park, that is inexpensive to get to with public transportation and is definitely worth seeing.

We tend to avoid large group tours out of personal preference, and there are some wonderful independent tour operators that take groups of 4 to 10 people in most of the ports.

I don't think there is a bad way to cruise Alaska, so if you have to forgo a Glacier Bay cruise to get to go, do it! If you have to give up the balcony room too, do it! But, if you can, go with a balcony room, Glacier Bay and remember that the days "cruising the Inside Passage" are not like the sea days in the Caribbean; there is plenty to see during the entire time.

We are new to cruising and just returned from our first cruise. Now we have a credit burning a hole in our pocket and are trying to price out an Alaskan cruise. I have a few questions in regards to an Alaskan cruise. Maybe these are stupid questions, and maybe there are answers elsewhere, but I didn't find anything in the search that was specific to these:

7 Day round trip or straight line?

Which do you prefer - a 7 day round trip or a 7 day straight line trip? Obviously a straight line trip would having higher airfare because you'd have to fly to/from different start/end point, right? But it also takes you further north into Alaska. - We prefer a one way southbound. Find that it is much more relaxing, plus that way you can spend a week before teh cruise exploring the interior.

Balcony vs. Not

We knew it was risky - as in we'd get hooked - but we had a balcony and LOVED it!

If we go at the end of June is it worth the extra money for a balcony? Initially I think that the answer is 'yes' for all of the same reasons it was worth it on the Caribbean (private outdoor space whenever we wanted, fresh air, etc.). I am just curious just how COLD is it? In the Caribbean we sat out there to soak up the sun and warmth. I don't think that is as feasible in Alaska. ;) I can check that average air temps and see that they are in the mid 50s -low 60s. I can live with a sweatshirt and jeans but is it too bitterly cold to even sit out there? Isn't it noticeably colder when you get in those narrow areas with the glaciers. I am just trying to see if the extra $1,000 is worth it or not.

Balcony is a must have for Alaska, more so than any other place. Weather is usually beautiful, not as cold as you think plus they usually provide wonderful lap blankets.

The Sea

How far out to see are you on this cruise? Our DD didn't fair the best on our roughest sea day so I was curious just how crazy the water gets up there? The pictures of the inside passage look pretty calm.

I know that the balcony debate and the 7 day round-trip vs. 7 day straight line are mostly personal preference, but any insight you can provide might be helpful in our decision making.

On a round trip it can get really rough, much worse than anything in the Caribbean. On a one way you are in more sheltered waters except for one day so it can be really smooth, especially in the actual Inside Passage. Just be aware that the Gulf of Alaska and the north Pacific can be really rough.

Thanks in advance!

Hope that helps. BTW on the one way trips you usually go to Hubbard Glacier which is breathtaking.

Edited by zqvol

I have a different opinion than most. Price up the airfare and then the one-way trip. We found we could do a back-to-back cruise, for 14 days, with round trip airfare to Vancouver for only slightly more than a one-way trip, with airfare to/from Vancouver & Anchorage.

The two times we went, I thought it was smoother than Caribbean cruises, but we had very nice weather.

It's usually just cold on the day you see the glaciers, pleasant mild temperatures otherwise. Kids were swimming, but I wouldn't have.

I would rather take 2 cruises in an inside than one with a balcony. You're only going to get to see what is happening on one side of the ship. That would annoy me. I want to be up on deck so I can go from side to side. Imagine you're in your port side cabin, and all afternoon you hear the announcements "Killer whales on the starboard side", "Seals on the starboard side" etc. Now you could be lucky and be on the side where the action is but I don't enjoy sitting in the cabin, balcony or not.

Our first cruise was a repositioning on the Star. We left from LA and had 3 days straight to Juneau, then back down to Vancouver. It was in May and it was still pretty cold on deck when the ship was under way.

We didn't get to do Glacier Bay on that trip, so we're doing another one on the Sun in September. My dad is coming on this one, so we set him up with an ocean view and got ourselves an aft mini suite so we can all hang out together with the larger balcony.

This one is a Vancouver round trip and it's the last trip of the season. Our plan is to hop on the Pearl for a 3 day West Coast repositioning down back home to SF.

I think the balcony is definitely worth it. Our first trip had fine seas, but we only went to Juneau. I remember the inside passage was like glass and so wonderful. Me and the hubs don't get seasick--our return from Bermuda to NY was pretty rough--but we don't know about Dad yet. He has a midship room.

I am hoping it's not too cold to enjoy our balcony. That's another reason we booked the aft--hoping wind won't be much of an issue!

Let us know how you do! Alaska is beautiful and we're looking forward to returning!

Jen

By this time you should have come to the conclusion that this is a mixed bag of variables !

Since you are in the planning stages give the CC forum an opportunity to give

you ideas of the way the cruises can be put together and what ports are

visited and the shore excursions.

Forget about the weather factor - not a thing that you can do about it - but a hint:

This is why the cruising season in Alaska is from Mid May to Mid September the

weather at its best.

Alaska is not the COLD icy tundra with polar bears and all fearsome features of winter.

The Pacific coast and inside passage are tempered mildly by the Japanese current.

Some of the time the weather might be rainy ***NOT snowy and most of the shore

excursions are operated rain or shine - notable exception the airplane and helicopter rides.

*** The rain is not the tropical rain forest kind and doesn't happen perpetually.

Rain is most apt to linger around in late spring and start up again the late autumn.

Therefore the best prime weather is in the months of late June July and early August.

No guarantees or warrantees issued ! LOL !

Simple Alaskan cruises are those that do round trips from the same port which

have a limited exposure to Alaska and the glaciers.

The One Way either Northbound or Southbound are more intensive and cover more

of Alaska albeit these are more expensive and as noted require what the airline

industry calls an "OPEN JAW" intinerary (the open portion is the cruise portion).

Airfare is less expensive between US points - Canada not so much.

Something to consider in planning a land package with a cruise is while on the

ship you will live out of your closet and not your suitcase. With land packages

every night you maybe someplace different and unlike being on the ship your

clothes are not neatly hung in a cabin closet and you will need to pack and

unpack every night at each resort area.

IMHO the best way to handle this is to start with a land package before the cruise.

With the cruise at the end settle back and relax with no fuss muss about living

out of a suitcase each night.

In either event Freestyle cruising clothes and land tour clothing will have to be

factored in but you will not need a parka wardrobe or bikini swimsuit ensemble.

So your usual spring or autumn wear with the addition of a rainproof slicker

poncho will work just fine. Skip the flip flops on the shore excursions - footprints

of big foot will scare the natives.

Hiking boots with lugs would help as you wrestle the last salmon out of the

river from the jaws of a brown bear.

In your land package make sure to include a portion of the travel on the Alaska RR.

A thrilling outstanding event with views of scenery and wild life and each

train has a narrator guide to call your attention to these features.

Much better than a motor coach ride especially if riding in one of the dome cars !

Check out all the available packages and read on here at CC for some of the

best deals - commercial advertisement and travel agent endorsement not allowed.

But enough information is provided to link things together !

For a routing that is interesting consider a end or beginning of season ship

positioning cruise to Alaska and if affordable a B2B (Back to Back) tour.

3 cruises to Alaska and many many airplane flights:

Anchorage - Fairbanks - Juneau - Ketchikan - Cordova - King Salmon - Kodiak

- Yakutat - Homer

Cruise cities:

Whittier - Sitka - Ice Point (Hoonan) - Skagway - Juneau - Ketchikan - Victoria

- Vancouver - Seattle

Thanks OP for asking about this. I had the exact same questions and I was very confused about the cruise options for Alaska. :)

Thank you all for all your responses. We had to make a quick decision and booked a cruise to Alaska over the weekend to take advantage of the combined UDP and Family, Friends, Kids sail free promo.

The cruise is still in 2016 so we have a lot of time to prepare. Thanks again! :)

I have a different opinion than most. Price up the airfare and then the one-way trip. We found we could do a back-to-back cruise, for 14 days, with round trip airfare to Vancouver for only slightly more than a one-way trip, with airfare to/from Vancouver & Anchorage.

The two times we went, I thought it was smoother than Caribbean cruises, but we had very nice weather.

It's usually just cold on the day you see the glaciers, pleasant mild temperatures otherwise. Kids were swimming, but I wouldn't have.

I would rather take 2 cruises in an inside than one with a balcony. You're only going to get to see what is happening on one side of the ship. That would annoy me. I want to be up on deck so I can go from side to side. Imagine you're in your port side cabin, and all afternoon you hear the announcements "Killer whales on the starboard side", "Seals on the starboard side" etc. Now you could be lucky and be on the side where the action is but I don't enjoy sitting in the cabin, balcony or not.

This is what I'm doing this summer as well. Northbound/Southbound for 14 nights. And no, a balcony is NOT a necessity. I have an inside cabin on deck 10 only steps from the elevators and stairs so 50 ft tops and I'm on deck seeing everything that a balcony dweller is seeing (actually more since I can see both sides of the ship) and I'm paying 70% less for my cabin (inside - $1,268, balcony - $2,968).

Alaskan cruises typically have a choice between Glacier Bay and Sawyer Glacier. Choose Glacier Bay if you can. Your ship goes into the bay near the huge cliffs of McBride Glacier and, if you are lucky, you will see the glacier calving with huge chunks of ice loudly cracking off and falling into the sea. Opportunistic bald eagles fly in to take advantage of the fish stirred up from the bottom with the falling ice.

Thanks for the tip! This would be absolutely amazing!!!

Alaska is not the COLD icy tundra with polar bears and all fearsome features of winter.

This makes me laugh as I am stuck in the frozen tundra of winter right now! I certainly don't want that on my vacation!

Airfare is less expensive between US points - Canada not so much.

I wouldn't have thought about it being to/from Canada. Good point!

In your land package make sure to include a portion of the travel on the Alaska RR.

I didn't think about there being land packages that could be added on before/after a cruise. The Alaska RR is most definitely on my bucket!

For a routing that is interesting consider a end or beginning of season ship

positioning cruise to Alaska and if affordable a B2B (Back to Back) tour.

3 cruises to Alaska and many many airplane flights:

Anchorage - Fairbanks - Juneau - Ketchikan - Cordova - King Salmon - Kodiak

- Yakutat - Homer

Cruise cities:

Whittier - Sitka - Ice Point (Hoonan) - Skagway - Juneau - Ketchikan - Victoria

- Vancouver - Seattle

This sounds amazing and expensive! lol And I am not sure about the many, many airplane flights. ;) I will have to check into it more though!

Thanks OP for asking about this. I had the exact same questions and I was very confused about the cruise options for Alaska. :)

Thank you all for all your responses. We had to make a quick decision and booked a cruise to Alaska over the weekend to take advantage of the combined UDP and Family, Friends, Kids sail free promo.

The cruise is still in 2016 so we have a lot of time to prepare. Thanks again! :)

So happy for you! I love having extra time to prepare so we were looking at 2016 also.

My original intent on Saturday was to take advantage of those great promos also! But the website wasn't working consistently and I couldn't get through on the phone lines (which I would need to in order to use our Cruise Credit). Unfortunately I eventually had to give up due to a prior commitment for the evening. :/ Hoping they will run the same/similar promotion in the future and we will be able to book.

• 6 months later...

Karen,

I would like to hear more about your experience of the back to back Alaska tour. I read that you have to get off the ship and go through customs in Alaska. Is this a huge pain?

For anyone looking at using frequent flyer miles to purchase airline tickets for an Alaskan cruise - we were able to book open jaw into Vancouver and out of Anchorage for only 25,000 miles + $11.20 per ticket. Same cost as round trip to Seattle, but less than a round trip to Vancouver.

Weather in Alaska might be different that what you expect at home. April and May get less rain than July and August in Juneau. June and July get the least amount of rain in Ketchikan - and they still average over 6" in each of those months. Based on my research, I don't think there's s bad month to go.

I have a lot of experience visiting Alaska. I never suggest a one way cruise, without adding on additional time to take advantage of touring mainland Alaska. Go for as long as you can afford. It is a mistake, to accept a marathon transit trip. I have little good to say about "cruise tours". You definitely , have the least opportunities touring with a fixed point to point group tour. Seeing the least. This is only my preference, plenty of people take them. The key point is to know ALL details of what your are booking- which most do not. I disagree with the claim of the Alaska RR being a "must". it takes more time than by road- the Anchorage/Fairbanks section mostly parallels the Parks Highway. A negative, if you had Denali activity choices, you don't have time for . I find 3 nights are best if using the train, to/from Anchorage. The scenic portion is Anchorage/Seward- well worth the expense and time.

Balcony or not, good claims for both. However with Alaska- a lot is outside the ship with touring being half your trip (in my opinion) I don't recommend skimping on tours in preference of a cabin.

The roughest sailing potential is a round trip Seattle itinerary. ALL cruise itineraries have potential for rough sailing. Don't buy into the myth that the one ways, or round trip Vancouver sailings are always "smooth" as they are not.

I suggest you FIRST find out about sailing Alaska, where you want to go, and what you want to do. Each port is very different from the others, having some specific touring opportunities. Head to your library and read up on Alaska Travel books, several Alaska Port of Call books as well. I suggest you do not jump into booking. You likely are going to find out something you didn't realize that may have been better chosen, if you had known.

there are specific time elements- that are important to be aware of in terms of time in port and time of year. Always- I see questions about why someone, can't book a tour "that had to take" , only to find out, they are a month too early/late etc.

The cruise critic friends that I have talked to, in person, all indicate that the one way cruises are the best. First, you see more, especially farther north, second, it allows a land trip, either before or after the cruise. Denali should not be missed.

Karen,

I would like to hear more about your experience of the back to back Alaska tour. I read that you have to get off the ship and go through customs in Alaska. Is this a huge pain?

You "heard" wrong. :) There is no "customs" in Alaska, and frankly, in either Whittier or Seward, I would think you would WANT to get off the ship to take advantage of either of these great touring opportunities.

Wrong information above.- Alaska cruises, have 4 scenic sailing areas- Tracy Arm where the Twin Sawyer Glaciers may be seen- with add on ship excursions. Rare for cruise ships to get much of a view - alternative is Endicott Arm sometimes substituted. College Fjords, Hubbard Glacier, and Glacier Bay.

Alaska cruise ships NEVER sail Muir Inlet which is referenced above with the "McBride Glacier". With Alaska cruise ships sailing Glacier Bay- you sail by 4 glaciers, Reid, (which may miss), Lamplough, Grand Pacific and Margerie- which is the most active and where cruise ships spend the most time.

We sail NCL Pearl every year to Alaska via Seattle. We,usually sail last week of season and jump on very late as we live in Seattle and do not need airfare. Last year our Captain was on his last week with NCL and we did go into Muir Inlet. It was very special. Each year there are variations. Time at spent at Marjorie Glacier etc. we have learned to appreciate the special "side" trips the current Captain may choose to take with the Park Ranger's approval. yMMV

Karen,

I just came off a back to back in Alaska. the custom question depends on where the ship starts. If you start in Seattle and have a port stop in Vancouver, yes you will go through customs in either Whittier or Seward. I actually started in Vancouver, went through US Customs there just before boarding the ship and did not go through customs on the return from Seward. Also, try to get the same cabin for both directions. You get to miss the second lifeboat drill if you do because you won't change lifeboat stations (at least this is what happened on NCL).

I just came off a back to back in Alaska. the custom question depends on where the ship starts. If you start in Seattle and have a port stop in Vancouver, yes you will go through customs in either Whittier or Seward. I actually started in Vancouver, went through US Customs there just before boarding the ship and did not go through customs on the return from Seward. Also, try to get the same cabin for both directions. You get to miss the second lifeboat drill if you do because you won't change lifeboat stations (at least this is what happened on NCL).

The cruise we are looking at is NCL, leaving from Vancouver, ending in Vancouver. It can be booked as a 14 day, even though it is 2 7 day cruises. The webpage says:

"PLEASE NOTE: This sailing is a "Combined Itinerary," meaning that this cruise consists of multiple consecutive cruise segments sailed as one combined itinerary. Some entertainment and dining options may be duplicated during the other segments. All guests returning to a U.S. port after the first segment of their cruise will be required to leave the ship and check in with U.S. Customs. Your stateroom assignment may change. Check your stateroom confirmation for details."

So, when the cruise gets to Seward, we can just get off and do an excursion? We don't have to pack up our luggage and take it off the boat? That would be great!

(BTW, this is really for my parents, I am just doing the research for them!)

Michiele

The cruise we are looking at is NCL, leaving from Vancouver, ending in Vancouver. It can be booked as a 14 day, even though it is 2 7 day cruises. The webpage says:

"PLEASE NOTE: This sailing is a "Combined Itinerary," meaning that this cruise consists of multiple consecutive cruise segments sailed as one combined itinerary. Some entertainment and dining options may be duplicated during the other segments. All guests returning to a U.S. port after the first segment of their cruise will be required to leave the ship and check in with U.S. Customs. Your stateroom assignment may change. Check your stateroom confirmation for details."

So, when the cruise gets to Seward, we can just get off and do an excursion? We don't have to pack up our luggage and take it off the boat? That would be great!

(BTW, this is really for my parents, I am just doing the research for them!)

Michiele

You will NOT have to take your luggage off the ship. I assume by what you posted you are sailing the Sun, same as I did. Two options. If you are in the same cabin northbound/southbound, everything stays in your room. go off the ship, do an excursion (or walk around town as we did), come back on just as if it were any other port. Also, no lifeboat drill on the southbound run. Option two, change cabins between the 2 runs. In Seward, pack everything, your cabin steward will take everything to your new cabin (you will have to unpack yourself). You will also have to attend the lifeboat drill again as your lifeboat station will most likely have changed. With either option all of your stuff stays on ship. I did the first option so I wouldn't have to pack/unpack again. I know someone who did the second option because they had an inside northbound and a balcony southbound (personally I wouldn't waste the money on a balcony......you can see everything from deck for thousands less).