Pat downs in San Pedro?

Scotto97

After passing OK through the metal detector (per the OP), why is a pat down needed?

Maybe the cruise lines know something we don't know and maybe they are looking for something other then metal.

I think some need to be reminded that flying and cruising are completely different forms travel, and where as screening and possible pat downs are required by federal law to board an aircraft, no such law or federal requirement exists for boarding or sailing on a cruise ship. In fact many of the articles considered dangerous and screened for when boarding an aircraft are readily available onboard a cruise ship in the dining room and gift shop.

So please if you feel that unwarranted pat down and an invasion of your rights through nothing more than a Princess corporate policy is acceptable , and even though without probable cause it is forbidden at almost any other in time in your life even by the police is acceptable , please do not besmirch posters here who see the ridiculousness and charade of such a feeble show of so called security by allowing a minimum wage stranger to fondle your body

To me it's unacceptable on MANY levels and has nothing to do with safety onboard

Srpilo

Sorry, but it is not Princess, or any cruise lines' "corporate policy" that mandates the security screening at cruise ship embarkation. This is required by the ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) code from the IMO. The US is signatory to ISPS, and therefore the USCG through the Department of Homeland Security (sound familiar to airport security?) makes the requirements for port security. Ship's security plans (the cruise lines' responsibility) must not only meet USCG requirements when in US ports, but they are overseen by the classification societies under the auspices of the IMO. So your statement that "no such law or federal requirement exists for boarding or sailing on a cruise ship" is completely false.

I'm not really sure what "freedom" you are giving up by having a security person pat you down. And I feel bad that you feel that security personnel "get their jollies "fondling you"". As I've said above, most security personnel would prefer not to ever have to touch you or anyone.

Sorry, but it is not Princess, or any cruise lines' "corporate policy" that mandates the security screening at cruise ship embarkation. This is required by the ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) code from the IMO. The US is signatory to ISPS, and therefore the USCG through the Department of Homeland Security (sound familiar to airport security?) makes the requirements for port security. Ship's security plans (the cruise lines' responsibility) must not only meet USCG requirements when in US ports, but they are overseen by the classification societies under the auspices of the IMO. So your statement that "no such law or federal requirement exists for boarding or sailing on a cruise ship" is completely false.

I'm not really sure what "freedom" you are giving up by having a security person pat you down. And I feel bad that you feel that security personnel "get their jollies "fondling you"". As I've said above, most security personnel would prefer not to ever have to touch you or anyone.

Thanks for the clarification.

False ? ..Yes there's a security requirement , never said their wasn't, hence the Xray, and metal detectors, but for the benefit of everyone here please quote and show the specific ISPS or USCG regs requiring physical pat downs after passing successfully through Xray and mental detectors at a cruise ship terminal.. Please

Unwarranted pats downs once successfully through, as the OP's stated in his first post, the required described security is absolutely a corporate policy whether Princess's or any other cruise line.

Additionally .. Sorry but private and potentially untrained and unregulated security guards are not in any way shape or form the same as TSA or Homeland Security when come to physically searching passengers with their hands .

Enjoy the rest of this thread... My last post here

Srpilo

My pat downs have been impersonal, quick, and done with the back of the hands. How that constitutes fondling, I can't imagine.

Are you talking about at the airport with TSA patdowns?

After going through those I told my spouse I wish she would do the same.

False ? ..Yes there's a security requirement , never said their wasn't, hence the Xray, and metal detectors, but for the benefit of everyone here please quote and show the specific ISPS or USCG regs requiring physical pat downs after passing successfully through Xray and mental detectors at a cruise ship terminal.. Please

Unwarranted pats downs once successfully through, as the OP's stated in his first post, the required described security is absolutely a corporate policy whether Princess's or any other cruise line.

Additionally .. Sorry but private and potentially untrained and unregulated security guards are not in any way shape or form the same as TSA or Homeland Security when come to physically searching passengers with their hands .

Enjoy the rest of this thread... My last post here

Srpilo

Sorry that you can't remain to discuss this rationally, rather than try to meet facts with personal impressions. Frankly, I'm not going to wade through a search of the CFR's, USCG NVIC's and Homeland Security guidelines to determine whether physical pat downs are "actually required" or not. Each cruise line is required to formulate a Vessel Security Plan, and each terminal is required to formulate a Facilities Security Plan. These plans are submitted to the USCG for approval, based on the IMO's ISPS requirements. They are then classified documents, and very few employees are allowed to see the documents. As a Chief Engineer on my vessel, I am not allowed to read the VSP (vessel security plan), only the Master (the Vessel Security Officer) is allowed to see the entire document. I have had training in VSP requirements, however.

And finally, the security personnel at the cruise terminal are not Princess employees, nor are they operating under Princess' VSP, they are employed by the port, and operating under the port's security plan. So, if the pat downs are not required, but are included in the FSP (facility security plan), that has nothing to do with Princess.

Barring the pat downs, security could use the back-scatter scanners used at the airports to find non-metallic dangerous goods. I hope you're not saying that cruising is so safe that there should be only screening for metallic dangerous goods. I think someone is worried that their rumrunners would be found during a pat down. Since the port facilities are publicly owned, use of pat downs rather than buying the expensive scanners would save taxpayer money.

Very true indeed. But I also think it is healthy to ask and challenge things like this. Going along with something just because everyone else does is rarely a good reason for doing something.

I don't see why you would challenge it. I have not seen random patdowns, in fact I will correct myself and say that I've never seen a patdown at the pier- I have seen people wanded if they set off the metal detector twice, so no groping hands involved. Would you just wave them on through? In that case, there's no point in the metal detector, either.

You certainly have the right to refuse a pat down before boarding a cruise ship, but you will be punished for refusing the pat down by not being allowed on board.:(

Which is why I said you would be waving goodbye.:)

Never experienced or seen a pat down in San Pedro. I will be sure to ask my friends who work at the Princess terminal.

With that said, I really don't understand the big deal about a pat down, x-ray or full body scan. I have flown in and out of Israel several times, I flew out of Munich during the tragedy at the 1972 Olympics and a couple of trips to London happened around IRA bomb threats. Is the security thorough? Yes. Is it invasive? A bit. I feel the security at the ports SHOULD be better. If our security had been as tight as it is in Israel all along then 9/11 probably wouldn't have happened. Personally, I would rather get a little extra pat down and lessen my chances of going down in flames or ending up the next Leon Klinghoffer.