Detergent

dickinson

Do you bring your own laundry detergent in order to use the self service laundry? If so, what kind? Do you use pod type detergents? Thanks.

I usually buy a small box of (powdered) detergent at our local dollar store. Generally it's the same price as one of those tiny boxes you get out of the machines at the laundry room and you get more.

Thank you all! I bought a package of pods but had second thoughts (because I have never used them before) if they could be used onboard the ship.

I use laundry pods all the time at home. AND I can get them unscented. They are wonderful to use and so easy. Just toss them in first before you put your clothes in the washer.

Last cruise we packed pods and dryer sheets (all unscented). Was good to know we had them in case we needed them during the cruise.

We have to use unscented detergent (I'm doing a laundry load right now with Arm & Hammer) so we can't send out our clothes to the ship's laundry.

Before I found the Purex sheets (which aren't available anymore so when I run out, it'll be the pods), I measured out an amount for each load into a ziplock bag and then placed those bags into a bigger bag (to avoid leakage).

To pack the pods, put them inside a paper towel roll, then put the roll in a ziplock. Bend in the ends of the cardboard tube a bit to make it fit. Zip and roll up extra bag. Wrap dryer sheets around the roll. Put in a second ziplock. Zip and roll up the extra. Takes up barely any space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To pack the pods, put them inside a paper towel roll, then put the roll in a ziplock. Bend in the ends of the cardboard tube a bit to make it fit. Zip and roll up extra bag. Wrap dryer sheets around the roll. Put in a second ziplock. Zip and roll up the extra. Takes up barely any space.

I bought some plastic containers (GLAD) that small round style. They hold the pods easily and if a pod should leak, it is contained in the container. Dryer sheets I just put in a zip lock bag.

Also use the sheets.

Only use half a sheet (cut lengthwise) and put into a sweater bag.

The sheets had problems blocking drains, the sweater bag prevents this from happening.

Edited by SadieN

I use to take Purex sheets- now- pods- dryer sheets- and the best thing of all "Color Catchers"- then if you can mix loads- make sure nothing runs together- and if there is any color residue in the machines- they handle it all-

I measured out an amount for each load into a ziplock bag and then placed those bags into a bigger bag (to avoid leakage).

I do the same thing. Easy, less expensive than onboard, don't have to fuss if the vending machines are empty, and once its used up, theres a bit more room in the suitcase! :rolleyes:

:DThat's a great idea! I was taking a container also, but I like the paper towel roll better. 3 of us on a 2 week Europe Cruise, then 2 of us exploring for another 3 weeks after. I will need to do a few loads of laundry for sure!:o

Since a lot of detergents give me a rash, I always take my own when I travel, period.

I keep clothespins in my big suitcase to the above mentioned reasons and to keep over friendly shower curtains off us. They take up no room, and have traveled the world with us.

Love this idea. Thanks.

Do you bring your own laundry detergent in order to use the self service laundry? If so, what kind? Do you use pod type detergents? Thanks.

Wish I could help you, but my wife does not go on a cruise to wash clothes. We send our clothes out.:)

Thanks again! Another question: do they have to go in suitcase or can they go in carryon. Because they are not labeled with the number of ounces I am thinking they have to go in suitcase. What have you done?

If you are flying, put them in your checked bag. No telling what TSA would do if in your hand luggage.

At the port there is no problem having them in your carryon.