Question on Upgrades?

We have never been offered an upgrade, but if we were to receive an offer, do we have to accept or can we stay where we are? :confused:

Also, should I put in our preferences on the RCI website in regards to upgrades?

Edited by IrishLassie

Free upgrades, as rare as they are, now seem to be done based on how you set your upgrade settings in your profile. If you have automatic upgrade selected then they will automatically upgrade you. I don't believe that you could then get your old cabin back.

Others have reported that you can call and ask to have a notation to call first before any upgrade being given.

I am leaving on the Legend tomorrow on a virtually sold out ship. Yesterday, I got an email that they upgraded my Panoramic Oceanview cabin to a D2 balcony without asking me. I was never called with the upgrade offer, nor had I changed anything in my C&A preferences one way or another. They just assigned me the upgrade.

I had a heck of a time scrambling to reverse the upgrade. I intentionally booked early because I wanted two cabins close together. Our two bookings were linked. Only one of the cabins was upgraded. This upgrade was on a different deck and far forward from the other cabin.

The reversal back to the original cabin was difficult because they had nothing to offer me in exchange and my original cabin was already assigned to someone else. I have no idea how things played out at the other end, but I am happy to have my original cabin back. I am hoping that someone from an inside or oceanview cabin got the balcony we rejected. For another sailing it probably would have been a terrific windfall....just not this time.

RCCL did a great job fixing the problem after I let them know I wasn't okay with the change, but it wasn't easy.

Bottom line, as much as I appreciated the generosity of an upgrade, they really should make sure people are okay with it first.

We sailed on the Rhapsody to Alaska in July of 2011. We found out about our upgrade while checking in. The agent was having trouble pulling up our reservation. Then, he couldn't find the SeaPasses in the tray for Deck 7.

The problem with that was:

A) the bags had tags with our old cabin number. I wound up going down to Deck 7, finding the bags outside our room, and taking them up. That seemed to upset the staff.

B) we had the excurision tickets for the people who had been upgraded out of our cabin, along with their water package. Our tickets and beverage packages didn't show up until well after dinner.

C) the people who had been upgraded out of our cabin didn't learn of the upgrade, until they tried to use their SeaPasses in our cabin door. They were mad. I felt sorry for the person at guest relations who was going to get an earful.

Getting upgrade to a Junior Suite was nice, but the process left a lot to be desired.

I noticed the setting in the preferences, but didn't select it as I don't want to be automatically upgraded. There are only specific cases where I'd want to move cabins. Just curious though...if they automatically upgraded, do you have to pay the higher amount, or is the upgrade for your original cost?

...The reversal back to the original cabin was difficult because they had nothing to offer me in exchange and my original cabin was already assigned to someone else. I have no idea how things played out at the other end, but I am happy to have my original cabin back.

They probably just foisted off your "automatic free upgrade" on the person in your cabin.

... not that I'm cynical or anything.

They probably just foisted off your "automatic free upgrade" on the person in your cabin.

... not that I'm cynical or anything.

"Foisted?"

If so, that party went from an ocean view to a balcony. Most people would consider that a delightful upgrade. I would generally. It seems as if Muladybug would have been happy too if another cabin had not been involved.

IIRC, one of the upgrade preference addresses multiple cabins close together, though muladybug does not mention how upgrade pref. was set before that unexpected upgrade. We sometimes travel in connecting cabins; unfortunately that is not on their upgrade pref list. Seems like an important missing option. I wish they'd add that. Also one for "phone/email approval before upgrade"

Edited by Starry Eyes

Thanks everyone for this info. I think I will NOT go into the website & sign up for upgrades! Doesn't sound like it's worth it. :eek:

It is quick and easy to set your preference, so I suggest you spend a moment to do it. If you do not want an automatic upgrade, check the appropriate box; it may save you an unwanted surprise.

Hey, if they offer an upgrade, I will happily accept!

We are D+ and have only received one upgrade. My reservation mysteriously disappeared from my RCCL page and then reappeared a couple of days later with the new cabin information.

I noticed the setting in the preferences, but didn't select it as I don't want to be automatically upgraded. There are only specific cases where I'd want to move cabins. Just curious though...if they automatically upgraded, do you have to pay the higher amount, or is the upgrade for your original cost?

If you get an upgrade you will not have to pay anything extra.

What they are doing more and more these days is upsells. They will call you and offer you a higher category at some sort of cost for you.

No, a true upgrade would not cost anything. But there is also an "Upsell" where they offer you a higher category for a price, which you would have to agree to before it happened.

Normally I do not choose the automatic upgrade because we choose our cabin carefully and do not want to be moved. But on our next cruise we are in a JS so what the heck - an upgrade to a suite, no matter where it was, would be sweet! (Pun intended).

We just got upgraded today and our option was set for no upgrade. I chose the location of our original cabin for a reason - it had a bigger balcony due to the location and it was not next to any others from our group (I like my privacy). Now I have a smaller balcony and I have people I know on either side of us. I'm going to try calling when I get home and hope that I can at least get moved elsewhere. If they won't honor the upgrade preferences why bother giving us the choice!

We just got upgraded today and our option was set for no upgrade. I chose the location of our original cabin for a reason - it had a bigger balcony due to the location and it was not next to any others from our group (I like my privacy). Now I have a smaller balcony and I have people I know on either side of us. I'm going to try calling when I get home and hope that I can at least get moved elsewhere. If they won't honor the upgrade preferences why bother giving us the choice!

Oh, how frustrating. Any chance a travel agent or fellow traveler talked them into upgrading you into a nearby cabin? Let us know if you get your cabin back; I hope so.

"Foisted?"

If so, that party went from an ocean view to a balcony. Most people would consider that a delightful upgrade. I would generally. It seems as if Muladybug would have been happy too if another cabin had not been involved.

IIRC, one of the upgrade preference addresses multiple cabins close together, though muladybug does not mention how upgrade pref. was set before that unexpected upgrade. We sometimes travel in connecting cabins; unfortunately that is not on their upgrade pref list. Seems like an important missing option. I wish they'd add that. Also one for "phone/email approval before upgrade"

My preferences page was blank. Nothing was bulleted. :confused:

If you don't want your upgraded cabin, you need to be persistent and go thru the different departments. I was on hold for quite a while, as they were hashing it out on the other end. At least I didn't find out about the upgrade as I was checking in...so I had enough time to throw a polite, but stern, hissy-fit. :D

We've been fortunate and have received two free upgrades. Neither time did they call. I just happened to notice online that we had a cabin change. Once we went from an outside to a balcony and most recently from a GS to an OS. We have our preferences set at HECK YEAH, UPGRADE US. It keeps me checking their website constantly and still hoping. :D

If you don't want your upgraded cabin, you need to be persistent and go thru the different departments. I was on hold for quite a while, as they were hashing it out on the other end. At least I didn't find out about the upgrade as I was checking in...so I had enough time to throw a polite, but stern, hissy-fit. :D

Starry eyes I don't know why they did this as they never even called me about it. I sure hope no one called and did this on my behalf but i doubt it as everyone i am traveling with that had an obstructed view was upgraded. I don't care about the obstruction and want my big balcony and lower deck back. Right now resolutions is going to talk to revenue to see about getting our original stateroom back. Supposedly going to call me tomorrow after waiting on hold for 40 minutes. You just know they will call the second my boss walks in my office. :D

Starry eyes I don't know why they did this as they never even called me about it. I sure hope no one called and did this on my behalf but i doubt it as everyone i am traveling with that had an obstructed view was upgraded. I don't care about the obstruction and want my big balcony and lower deck back. Right now resolutions is going to talk to revenue to see about getting our original stateroom back. Supposedly going to call me tomorrow after waiting on hold for 40 minutes. You just know they will call the second my boss walks in my office. :D

'Revenue' was the final department that switched my cabin back to me. That's a good sign...I hope.

I got my cabin back!!!! They finally called just before I left work and let me know. I was so happy it didn't occur to me to ask why it had been changed in the first place when my settings were for no upgrade. I will be sending a letter or email to royal about this and will be sure to mention how nice the resolutions woman was. They probably think I am a nut for giving up a D4 for a DO but it was the same size room with a smaller balcony. That is a downgrade in my book since I spend a lot of time enjoying it.

Edited by nomarfan5