Chops Price Increase to $39

cjhbeh

Now, let me see if I understand this correctly. No more mud pie, no more rib eye along with fewer selections of beef, no more of the famous red velvet cake, the onion soup is gone and so is the oyster appetizer, the baked potato has been replaced by what some call "tator tots", but yet a price increase to thank us for these changes. Very strange business practices indeed!

Well not quite as bad as you are making it out to be, but I'm still disappointed at the price increase. BTW, RC calls them tater tots. They are very good.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/ChopsGrille_Menu_Eng.pdf

Last time we were at Chops I had the mud pie and DW had red velvet, so I'm not sure if it has changed since.

With all of these negative comments it's a surprise Chops ever has customers! :D

The more people don't want to dine at Chops makes it easier for me to get the time and date I want! :cool:

I have never seen it half full or more so not really sure you could call that "Having customers". I know that land based restaurants would go out of business with that.

With all of these negative comments it's a surprise Chops ever has customers! :D

From what Ive gathered, its about 30 - 40% full at most any given time now and never a problem to get a desired time.

Ill have my filet at Giovannis and buy more drinks with the 14.00 pp i saved by not going to Chops. :D

I have never seen it half full or more so not really sure you could call that "Having customers". I know that land based restaurants would go out of business with that.

From what Ive gathered, its about 30 - 40% full at most any given time now and never a problem to get a desired time.

Ill have my filet at Giovannis and buy more drinks with the 14.00 pp i saved by not going to Chops. :D

It is usually fairly full to packed when I go. I'll send pictures! :D

They would not raise the price if they did not think they could. The market has spoken.

We have been turned down several times for a desired booking/time and had to go later in the evening. Have stopped by and peeked in. Never full or even close. Was once told that they didn't have enough staff to wait on all the tables. My DD manages a major chain restaurant and I can understand getting hit with a surge and being understaffed but not on a regular basis. Their constant mismanagement baffles me.

If you reserve Chops for the first night before the cruise and then find a discount coupon of any sort upon boarding, I am assuming that you can use the coupon to reduce your original charge. Am I right?

Yes they gave us the difference in OBC, but likely to vary from ship to ship as well as week to week.

That's sterching it. $25 was a good deal. $30 was fine. $35 is pushing it. $39 is too much for Chops. On our past two cruises, the quality has been really subpar compared to similar land based restaurants and prior experiences.

Chops does not even use Prime grade beef. On top of that the sides in the "new menu" are not of high quality.

Finally, it's nothing short of "Royally" irritating when they spend five minutes describing how much better the upgraded dry aged steaks are than the steaks included in the cover you have already paid to dine in the specialty venue.

I still love Portofino and Giovanni's, but I'm done with Chops unless it is taking advantage of the BOGO D+ coupon or it is free from some sort of promo.

DITTO on all points!!!

Chops was a great deal when it was $15 and $20.

Now the servers do not work in teams anymore, and there doesn't seem to be any love in the food.

The desserts are absolutely horrible now.... I used to love the cheese cake, of which they actually used cream cheese to make. Most cruise ships don't make good cheese cake because of the expense of the cream cheese. Even the Red Velvet was great! Loved it !Mud pie too That's gone too.

So many things gone and losses to the menu.. And they wanna raise the price again! BAWAHAHAHA

... only on a bogo for this cruiser.

Now, let me see if I understand this correctly. No more mud pie, no more rib eye along with fewer selections of beef, no more of the famous red velvet cake, the onion soup is gone and so is the oyster appetizer, the baked potato has been replaced by what some call "tator tots", but yet a price increase to thank us for these changes. Very strange business practices indeed!

On the 2/2 Quantum sailing, I had onion soup to go along with large shrimp cocktail.

Keep in mind, that in the $35 you can have only 1 entrée but many appetizers and desserts.

THis isn't always the case. I asked for two desserts last time on the Enchantment and was told no. Honestly none of the apps or desserts are worthy of ordering extras.

I really miss the creamed spinach and the wonderful lamb chops with pureed peas! The oysters weren't super great... but we liked them too

I can still forgive all that was lost and pay the $35 because it isn't all bad and the dinning room is usually very nice. But not a penny more...it's Bogo from here on if the price goes any higher without some effort on RC's part to improve the uninspiring and banal menu.

So many things gone and losses to the menu.. And they wanna raise the price again! BAWAHAHAHA

... only on a bogo for this cruiser.

The irony is that a bogo now equates to full price when bogo coupons were introduced :rolleyes:

In January I had the French onion soup and a baked potato. My husband had the "tater tots" and thought they were fantastic. They are not like the typical tater tot. They were loaded with cheese.

We were a little concerned about Chops because of the comments on CC but it turned out to be our favorite meal on the ship. We only ate in the main dining room one night, the rest of the nights were specialty restaurants!

In January I had the French onion soup and a baked potato. My husband had the "tater tots" and thought they were fantastic. They are not like the typical tater tot. They were loaded with cheese.

We were a little concerned about Chops because of the comments on CC but it turned out to be our favorite meal on the ship. We only ate in the main dining room one night, the rest of the nights were specialty restaurants!

Just curious, did you have traditionall dining or MTD

THis isn't always the case. I asked for two desserts last time on the Enchantment and was told no. Honestly none of the apps or desserts are worthy of ordering extras.

Then why did you try ordering two? :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Then why did you try ordering two? :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ok good question....This was the first time I had ordered dessert since the big menu change....Frankly there was one that I think I liked ha!it was unremarkable as I cant remember it However not one of the new desserts compare to the Red velvet cake, the black and white cheese cake or the mud pie. Those were iconic desserts!

This is good news.

My daughter is begging me to take them to Chops on Liberty, but she hasn't been to a Chops since our 2009 Mexican Riviera cruise on Mariner of the Seas.

This is good news.

My daughter is begging me to take them to Chops on Liberty, but she hasn't been to a Chops since our 2009 Mexican Riviera cruise on Mariner of the Seas.

I was on the Mariner in 2009. We were the first cruise to return to Mexico after the swine flu.