Transfers from Zurich to Basel?

hiccups

I'll try this again--I posted last night but I think inadvertently violated posting rules :)

We're debating between Avalon and AMA for a Basel-Amsterdam cruise. We have an air-included quote from AMA, but in order to get the cruise deal Avalon is offering, it appears we can't book air through them. Our TA is going to price flights, but then of course we need to arrange our own transportation to the ship. I saw on Avalon's website we can purchase an end-of-cruise transfer, but it doesn't seem we can purchase it for the beginning of the cruise.

Has anyone arranged their own transfer from Zurich to Basel, or been able to purchase from Avalon? I'm wondering if between the airfare and transfers we'd be better off to pay the higher cost for the AMA cruise.

I just priced a private transfer Zurich airport to Basel for upcoming AMA cruise. It is more than $350. The train is far less $$$ and should be easy enough as long as you do not over do it with luggage and are comfortable traveling on your own.

You should also factor in the cost of travel insurance. It is almost always significantly cheaper to buy the coverage through AMA for the whole package than to have to purchase two policies, as the premium is based on age and total cost. I often travel with my mom who is 83 and we can save a bunch if we book the whole package with AMA.

We of course were going to purchase insurance, but by two policies, do you mean purchasing a separate one for air? I never would have thought about that!

If we can get airfare similar to what the AMA quote included, right now AMA is about $700 PP more expensive. But who knows if we can get that air price--if we can't, then it might be better to go with AMA.

I am the WORST at decision making--we have quotes from four lines! Just a matter of deciding what type of room and how much we want to pay. Uniworld and Viking only have aquarium cabins, Avalon and AMA had French balconies (or at least they did when our TA got the quote).

There will be 4 of us doing this cruise with Avalon at a later date and we are going to rent a car. I just checked the price of a car large enough for the 4 of us and our luggage and the total was $220. I would be cheaper if we elected to pay in advance. That gives us total control as to where we go (probably will stop in Lucerne on our way). We will drop off our luggage at the dock before we return the car and then catch a cab for the ride back to the ship. Just another possible way to consider getting to the ship.:)

Cole

We of course were going to purchase insurance, but by two policies, do you mean purchasing a separate one for air? I never would have thought about that!

If we can get airfare similar to what the AMA quote included, right now AMA is about $700 PP more expensive. But who knows if we can get that air price--if we can't, then it might be better to go with AMA.

I am the WORST at decision making--we have quotes from four lines! Just a matter of deciding what type of room and how much we want to pay. Uniworld and Viking only have aquarium cabins, Avalon and AMA had French balconies (or at least they did when our TA got the quote).

Yes, you would have to purchase a separate policy for your flight tickets and this will eat up some of the difference.

Add to that included round trip transfers and it may make the difference quite small.

My wife and I will be sailing this itinerary in September on AMA, and are making our own arrangements for 3 days precruise in Lucerne/Basel. Our plan is to take the train from the Zurich airport to Lucerne. There are direct trains (no connection changes) leaving hourly right from the airport. My understanding is that the train terminal is right at the airport terminal lower level. Looks like about 35 CHF full fair per person, second class. I believe there are similar connections from Zurich direct to Basel. Sounds pretty simple, and the least expensive way to go.

We don't worry about including our airfare in the insurance, because you can always pay the airline penalty and rebook the tickets for another trip.

We did this trip with AMA in the other direction, and took the post-cruise extension to Lucerne and Zurich. That included all transfers. Lucerne is a don't-miss. Zurich was nice, and the optional excursion to the Rhine Falls and Stein am Rhein couldn't have been done on your own and was definitely worthwhile. On the Amsterdam end you really don't need the cruise line holding your hand, as the city has a wonderful tram system to get around and a train that goes directly from the Central Station to the airport.

We don't worry about including our airfare in the insurance, because you can always pay the airline penalty and rebook the tickets for another trip.

We did this trip with AMA in the other direction, and took the post-cruise extension to Lucerne and Zurich. That included all transfers. Lucerne is a don't-miss. Zurich was nice, and the optional excursion to the Rhine Falls and Stein am Rhein couldn't have been done on your own and was definitely worthwhile. On the Amsterdam end you really don't need the cruise line holding your hand, as the city has a wonderful tram system to get around and a train that goes directly from the Central Station to the airport.

Good point about the airfare!

I realized the Avalon cruise is Basel-Amsterdam, and AMA is Amsterdam-Basel (I picked dates based on available specials). Good to know we could probably go without the transfers in Amsterdam if necessary.

With the restrictions and penalties on changing international air tickets, we much prefer to purchase insurance. This way we are assured of a refund without the conditions the airlines impose. We may not want the same airline for a future trip as we do for the current trip as we base it on the best for the specific itinerary.

My understanding is that the train terminal is right at the airport terminal lower level.

Correct. I did this often a few years ago. Pull your roller suitcases all they way while following the signs. You can also use one of the free luggage trolleys. They fit on the escalators. If you are uncomfortable using them, there are elevators. The ticket windows are on a floor with stores, if I remember correctly. The train tracks are one floor below. Again escalators and elevators.

I remember a bakery and a Migros food store with all sorts of delicious foods and drinks.

Has anyone arranged their own transfer from Zurich to Basel...?

Sure, it can be done. We flew into Zurich last year pre-cruise and rented a car at the airport, drove into Zurich overnight for our hotel stay, and drove to Basel the next day. We made a half-day out of the trip by stopping off for a few hours at Augusta Raurica (some Roman ruins) a few miles outside of Basel. Driving straight through would be a little over an hour, plus whatever traffic you encounter in the cities themselves.

We were with Uniworld so things may be a little different - but we were able to return the rental car to the Basel airport, and hop on one of Uniworld's group transfers. We had to be tricky about it, but we managed... :) I don't know which, if any, of the other lines include airport transfers whether or not you purchase their air package. But, Uniworld will transfer you at no additional charge, as long as you arrive / depart on the day of embarkation / disembarkation, within their timeframe for group transfers.

A few other comments: getting from the Basel airport to the dock by cab is reportedly expensive and will add likely 30-50 CHF to your transfer cost. Public transport from the airport to the dock (Dreilandereck) in Basel would be a serious pain - there's an airport bus to the train station, then a tram ride, then at least a 1/2 km walk which crosses railroad tracks and would be a pain with luggage. If you can't join a group transfer from the airport, and choose to rent a car, see if you can find one that has an office in town where you can return; then it's a shorter cab ride to the dock.

Taking the train from ZRH to Basel looks very feasible. Again, it is a decent distance from the train station to the dock - and though Basel has a good tram system, it doesn't go to Dreilandereck so you're still stuck with the walk from the tram stop to the dock. Or a cab.

We investigated all of these possibilities last year but eventually gave up and went with the included transfer from the Basel airport. Much easier! Public transport from Basel Airport is just not that useful for the river cruise dock.

Regarding Amsterdam - yes, the train station is within sight of where you dock. Looks like an easy walk, even with luggage. And they have a direct train to the airport - though the track was undergoing maintenance on Sundays last spring, which would have been the day we needed it... Hopefully they are done with that now!

Host Jazzbeau - why was Rheinfall impossible to do on your own? We drove to Schloss Laufen (near Schaffhausen) last year and visited the falls on our own. Do you mean that there's no good public transport option there? Or did you visit it from a different site (other side of the river)? It seemed pretty straightforward to us.

We did Avalon - Basel to Amsterdam in 2013 , transfer from Zurich to Basel was included in cruise cost, as pick point was at the Movenpick at Zurich Airport, you did not need to have booked pre night in hotel to use this service, we had spent time at Lake Lucerne, just drove to hotel, dropped bags and other in our group who had coffee in lounge with other Avalon guests and I dropped rental car at Airport and walked back, very easy.

We did Avalon - Basel to Amsterdam in 2013 , transfer from Zurich to Basel was included in cruise cost, as pick point was at the Movenpick at Zurich Airport, you did not need to have booked pre night in hotel to use this service, we had spent time at Lake Lucerne, just drove to hotel, dropped bags and other in our group who had coffee in lounge with other Avalon guests and I dropped rental car at Airport and walked back, very easy.

It was the same for 2014. Catch the shuttle to the hotel for free from airport and depending on time of arrival catch an excursion that day. We took the tour of Old town Zurich since we had never been before. The tour to the mountain left earlier. So after the tour they bring you directly to the ship.

Host Jazzbeau - why was Rheinfall impossible to do on your own? We drove to Schloss Laufen (near Schaffhausen) last year and visited the falls on our own. Do you mean that there's no good public transport option there? Or did you visit it from a different site (other side of the river)? It seemed pretty straightforward to us.

We didn't rent a car, and the location didn't seem very amenable to public transportation. Maybe there are day-trips out of Zurich -- I didn't research this because we had the AMA excursion pre-booked.

Well, apparently I misunderstood the TA and we can go ahead and book the airfare with Avalon, so we're covered on the transfer.

We'll do a night pre-cruise in Zurich, and wanted to do Amsterdam, but Avalon's price was a bit much, plus we'd have to pay for the transfer. I was willing to book our own hotel and find our own way to the airport, but my husband is apparently afraid we'd mess up, so we'll skip Amsterdam. Ah, well, from what I understand we'll have a little bit of time there at the end of the cruise.

Well, apparently I misunderstood the TA and we can go ahead and book the airfare with Avalon, so we're covered on the transfer.

We'll do a night pre-cruise in Zurich, and wanted to do Amsterdam, but Avalon's price was a bit much, plus we'd have to pay for the transfer. I was willing to book our own hotel and find our own way to the airport, but my husband is apparently afraid we'd mess up, so we'll skip Amsterdam. Ah, well, from what I understand we'll have a little bit of time there at the end of the cruise.

Amsterdam is not a difficult city to navigate. Practically everyone speaks fluent English. To get from hotel to airport simply call a cab.

Amsterdam is not a difficult city to navigate. Practically everyone speaks fluent English. To get from hotel to airport simply call a cab.

Yes, that was my idea, but it's not worth stressing my husband out. He let me pick the trip, so I'll let him have his way on this :)

That's correct! If you just show up at the Zurich Airport Movenpick, they will take you to the ship in Basel. I believe the busses leave around 1 or 2pm but I would be there by noon to be safe, drop off your luggage and have a little lunch while waiting.

If you prefer to do it on your own, the train is much, much less expensive than renting a car or shuttle service and is easy to use to get to Basel. Once there, take a taxi from the Basel train station to the river cruise boat.

"That's correct! If you just show up at the Zurich Airport Movenpick, they will take you to the ship in Basel. I believe the busses leave around 1 or 2pm but I would be there by noon to be safe, drop off your luggage and have a little lunch while waiting."

Even if you have not purchased a transfer from Avalon, are you saying they will transport you and your luggage without charging the transfer fee?

Cole

"That's correct! If you just show up at the Zurich Airport Movenpick, they will take you to the ship in Basel. I believe the busses leave around 1 or 2pm but I would be there by noon to be safe, drop off your luggage and have a little lunch while waiting."

Even if you have not purchased a transfer from Avalon, are you saying they will transport you and your luggage without charging the transfer fee?

Cole

I would definitely confirm this with Avalon as I have never known them not to charge for an airport transfer when they did not arrange flights. That is a separate cost.

I would definitely confirm this with Avalon as I have never known them not to charge for an airport transfer when they did not arrange flights. That is a separate cost.

I was on the Basel to Amsterdam cruise last July. It was written in the paperwork to take the Free shuttle. The Movenpick offers the free shuttle it has nothing to do with Avalon

I was on the Basel to Amsterdam cruise last July. It was written in the paperwork to take the Free shuttle. The Movenpick offers the free shuttle it has nothing to do with Avalon

Just to clarify - you are saying a free shuttle from the Zurich Airport Movenpick to Basel? If that's the case, that would be the way to go.

Cole

You can still book your own air and utilize the avalon transfers. We are cruising in June, and we are staying in Lucerne for a couple of nights precruise, and Avalon said as long as we met at the pickup point, we can use their transfers. We decide don the train instead though.

Don't miss Amsterdam! It's easy to book a hotel and take a cab to the airport on your own! You should stay and see the sights when you're over there! Your TA should help you with that! Shame to fly all the way over there and not stay a few extra days, I booked all our hotels with my credit card points. (but paid through the nose for the airfare!) LOL

Just to clarify - you are saying a free shuttle from the Zurich Airport Movenpick to Basel? If that's the case, that would be the way to go.

Cole

From Zurich airport the Movenpick offers a free shuttle. The Movenpick is the meeting point for all Avalon guests. From the Movenpick Avalon will drive you to the ship in Basel. You can opt for a precruise tour from here also

Avalon is slightly different from other lines because they suggest that all guests meet at the hotel. The same was when we departed from Paris.

From Zurich airport the Movenpick offers a free shuttle. The Movenpick is the meeting point for all Avalon guests. From the Movenpick Avalon will drive you to the ship in Basel. You can opt for a precruise tour from here also

Avalon is slightly different from other lines because they suggest that all guests meet at the hotel. The same was when we departed from Paris.

Thank you for the excellent information about the transfer.

Cole