Pre-buy photo package, is it worth it?

darbs7

So I never buy photos...ever...but I want to...just hate paying so much for them.

but I just got the bon voyage email with an offer for $225 for all pictures from week printed and digital.

IS this true? Every picture...? all sizes?

I sail Saturday so I have to purchase by tomorrow.

Any details much appreciated

I bought the photo package last summer when we sailed with my young adult kids, mother and sister. We enjoyed it. Yes, you get every print and digital they take. It is a good price if you want to have the photos taken.

If you purchase it, make sure you spend the time to have the photos taken when they have the set-ups in various places on the ship.

I did it last summer on the Constellation because my 19 year-old niece was with us and I knew she'd be jumping in front of a camera a lot. I liked the package because I got all my prints plus the disk. I needed the disk, because without editing I thought many of the shots were unusable...over-exposed, etc.

It's very convenient, and if you think you'll take a lot of pictures, it's a much better price to do the package than purchase individual pictures.

We had a large group of 18 on our 2014 Summit cruise. We bought that package since we would get every picture we were in. They utilize a facial recognition software to identify all the picture. So not only did we take advantage of nearly every opportunity to get a picture of the two of us, we also encouraged all of our group to get in our pictures since we'd be getting copies. After the cruise, we shared them with everyone so they could have the ones they wanted. Worked out great for a large group. I wouldn't do it if we were travelling by ourselves.

We tend to buy a few photos every cruise. No one can agree on which ones are the best. Buying the package last cruise simplified things. We probably posed for a few more formal photos than usual, but that also increases the odds you will find a really great one.

We never purchase them ever, either. And we don't plan to, a package or anything. We look at it like this. Anything you'll get in a package is the same - you posed in the dining room at a table. You posed in front of something cheesy as soon as you get to port. All posed things on or near the ship. We only take one photo ever, and that's the one required for the sea pass. We don't get embarkation photos or formal night photos, none of it. We just politely say no thank you.

Where we like our photos best is on excursions. So we just get someone to snap one for us with our own camera. We get lots of them this way. Celebrity can't get those.

Not trying to talk you out of it, but really, honestly, how many photos do you want of yourself next to a Celebrity employee in a silly pirate suit or a furry animal suit holding a life preserver? Get them out and about and it will tell more about your trip.

The value is really an individual decision. Unless I was going on some real milestone cruise event (a 50th anniversary, first ever family reunion, etc..) there is no way in the world I would pay that much. I can't even imagine what the heck I would do with 50 pictures of myself. Trust me, no one would want to look at those but me:eek:

It is not for me....I hate pictures of me, I don't like posing, I find most of what the ship's photographers shoot is not all that great, I find them pretty annoying the way the are always accosting use at dinner, on the pier, etc...and I don't like the glossy finish they use. If you love pictures of yourself, if you love posing etc then it could be worthwhile but for me, a grouchy old guy who has spent 45 years taking pictures for a living, nope, not going to go there.

So I never buy photos...ever...but I want to...just hate paying so much for them.

but I just got the bon voyage email with an offer for $225 for all pictures from week printed and digital.

IS this true? Every picture...? all sizes?

I sail Saturday so I have to purchase by tomorrow.

Any details much appreciated

No.

What I find amazing about Celebrity passengers is that they are so willing to pay in advance for something that they don't even know they will like. My experience with the Celebrity photographers is that they can't capture a shot to save their lives. Usually when I go on a cruise I have a hard time limiting myself to just a few pictures because they are all so good. On my Summit sailing I didn't purchase any because they were all so bad. I even wrote a comment in my review that I have never seen such poor photography. The formal shots of us were taken horizontally and cut my wife off at her bust line. She was wearing a long gown. Why wouldn't you take a vertical picture? This also caused there to be too much space on the right and left of the photo and it needed to be cropped. Photos of couples taking a picture in front of the stairs, had passengers walking down the stairs behind them in the background. Why didn't they rope it off so nobody could walk down. Most of the other pictures were just cheesy port pictures. I usually like to buy the formal night picture but it just didn't happen. We were traveling with another couple and we took pictures of each other with our iPhones and they came out much better and we were able to edit them. I'm not looking to own 200 or so pictures of ourselves posing in front of fake cruise line back drops so I would never consider the package.

Some of the grumpiest cruise staff I have found were the photographers. How can such grumpy people take good photos. I even asked one why was he so grumpy and he just grunted. We did wonder if that was where they sent the naughty crew to work, lol!! ;)