What? Nothing from Viking in today's mailbox???

Ukalady

It was an unusual day today--there was absolutely *nothing* from Viking (river or ocean division) in our mailbox today. What could have happened? ;)

(Seriously, is everyone else getting bombarded with Viking mailings since December? I don't mind 'em--the photos are fun reminders of a great trip past and more to come--but it's become an *unusual* day when we don't get a Viking something in the mail.)

P.S. I'm speaking physical, "snail mail" type of marketing.

Edited by Ukalady

I posted this on another thread:

"What I hate about VIKING is all the mailings you will get from them. At least several items a week, some of them the full size catalogs on glossy, higher quality paper. The same brochures, over and over. Notices of this deal and that deal.

VIKING, I know you read these boards- here's a deal, I will sail with you again, I had a good time.

Just give me a $500 credit, and you never have to mail me any more literature. I'm sure you'll save that much in paper and postage.

You know where I live, just drop me one last line!"

I cruised with them, it was fun, but man that's a lotta trees you're killing! All that marketing goes into the bottom line somehow.

Maybe they're having a hard time filling up all the new longboats?

I've just sailed Viking this past year and probably won't do another river cruise for another 2 years. I too am tired of getting mail from Viking several times a week. I wish they spend less on advertising and lower prices instead. Would prefer getting something several times a year and emails for super deals.

for those who are still getting snail mail brochures, have you tried phoning viking customer service..lord knows the number is plastered all over the brochures...and asked to have your name taken OFF the mailing list?

If you really want to save trees, try this and make you and your mail man happy.

By comparison, i have been getting DAILY emails with news, sales and last minute deals from Princess who i sail with a lot and i don't mind as they know...and i know...I will pick up the phone at least once or twice a year when something catches my eye.

Edited by remydiva

It was an unusual day today--there was absolutely *nothing* from Viking (river or ocean division) in our mailbox today. What could have happened? ;)

(Seriously, is everyone else getting bombarded with Viking mailings since December? I don't mind 'em--the photos are fun reminders of a great trip past and more to come--but it's become an *unusual* day when we don't get a Viking something in the mail.)

P.S. I'm speaking physical, "snail mail" type of marketing.

One person commented that due to the amount they spend on advertising, they then require that you prepay your cruise (even if it is 1 1/2 years away) so they can continue sending those daily mailings. We have never cruised with them and don't intend to cruise with them, but still are inundated with their stuff. :eek:

Cole

For everyone who does NOT want snail mail, try this approach from another CC thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1944249&page=2

I was also getting tired of their mailings, so I sent an e-mail to TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com

and said I would never sail on Viking and their mailings were annoying me. I got a very nice polite e-mail from them apologizing and saying the mailings would stop in a couple of weeks.

For those that don't want emails, unsubscribe option at bottom of email will work after a few days.

Make sure you receive all emails from Viking Cruises,

add Viking_River_Cruises@emails.vikingrivercruises.com to your address book.

Unsubscribe - Privacy Policy - Terms and Conditions

5700 Canoga Avenue, Suite 200, Woodland Hills, California 91367

1-855-707-4837

Advertisement CST:2052644-40

For those that just want to complain, do nothing :rolleyes:

We have sailed on Viking a couple of years ago, and are going again in November. We loved our cruise. That being said, we are getting very upset with number of mailings we get from them. We have gotten 3 in one day, up to 6 or more a week sometimes! We mentioned that to our travel agent, who said that that strategy is extremely successful for Viking; their bookings have gone up markedly. I resent that part of my cruise cost is financing their outrageous marketing practices. You know that the vast majority of the mailings go in the trash. Those of us who book with them would do so if we only got one mailing a quarter or so. Every catalog we get has the same trips, the same prices, just a different cut-off date. So irritating!! I suppose the only way to combat the waste is to refuse to book their cruises and tell them why; maybe they would get the picture then. But probably not.

Edited by snookie1

I'm astounded by the level of marketing they do! It's so ubiquitous that every human being I told "we went on a river cruise" said "oh, Viking?" (Um...no we actually went with AMA) I get something; an email or snail mailing at least 2-3 times a week. But here's the thing- I have NEVER sailed with them!

Anyway, I check out the brochures to get a sense of the itineraries, but truly don't need to see it every week!

I suppose the only way to combat the waste is to refus[/b]e to book their cruises and tell them why; maybe they would get the picture then. But probably not.

At risk of repeating myself...no' date=' "refusing to book their cruise and tell them why" is NOT the " only way to combat the waste"...you have lots of options..

1.Pick up the phone and call them and ask to be taken off the mailing list

2. Email them at [email']TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com[/email] and ask to be taken off the mailing list and tell them why

3. Click UNSUBSCRIBE at the bottom of their email offerings

If you have done any or all of these and viking still sends the snail mail and emails, THEN come here and talk about saving trees, marketing, they should reduce prices, refuse to sail with them ...whatever but no one here on THIS particular thread has indicated they did any of these options.

If you have and viking has chosen to ignore you, I Apologize and stand corrected.

i just know that I did contact them and have not had the avalanche of snail mail. I continue to get emails and when i am not interested, i click on the email and send to TRASH.

When interested, like i was in the fall, i pick up the phone and book a cruise.

It works.